What is considered broken?

Post your custom made cards in this forum
underworld king styx
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:48 pm
Reputation: 1

What is considered broken?

Post #1 by underworld king styx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 am

So I am aware I was playing in the 'CUSTOMS' area, its not a place to complain about since no one really goes for PCST, I atleast try to make it stable and balance. So I have a S/T removal card called, "Paradise Lost": It destroys all cards in the S/T zone as long as my opponent controls 2 or more cards in the S/T zone. So there is some requirement to fill. Now when you completely fill your backrow, "It's yugioh 2020, no one fills backrow". You are asking for trouble.Because regardless your opponent won't fill safe until 3 are popped.
The duel I had was over before it started, very ridiculous. So I'll let you all be the judge. Is my spell completely broken or is there something wrong with my opponent?
https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=129037-16466435
I call out your name even in death! As King I command you to rise! Let your rotten scream command an army of the dead! Syncro Summon! Never dying potential! Ascend death, Red-Eyes Zombie Necro Dragon!

Renji Asuka
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:37 am
Reputation: 8

Post #2 by Renji Asuka » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:23 am

Customs is an extremely broken part of the game that DB offers.

Rule 1: Never duel anyone who has improper PSCT. This isn't saying to add cost to cards (CrystalMusic) but to make them readable and easy to follow. To know When/If it activates, where the condition is, where the cost is (if any) and where the effect is.

Rule 2: Never duel with anyone that has clearly busted cards, (example, the cards can turn into anything they want, or have insane protection with easy set up, there is too much to cover honestly).

Rule 3: If anyone has a card that banishes a card at the start of the duel, leave, these people have no intention on letting you win fairly. (Example, say you created a mill deck that isn't insane like Empty Jar OTK, but because they prevent you from milling their cards, you can't get your win condition.)

Rule 4: Never duel anyone with art that uses a "real life images", they are simply ugly to look at.

I follow these rules if I play at all. And typically, if anyone complains your cards are "OP" while they play worse shit, they have no room to talk.

| Hanverid |
User avatar
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:07 am
Reputation: 12
Location: París, France
Mood:

Post #3 by | Hanverid | » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm

Here's my story about unfairness in customs:

I used to play a card that could halve my opponent's life points by banishing itself (a Synchro Monster). People were often ranting that it was broken, can't halve for free, etc. At that point i did agree with them, so i removed the monster.
Days later i created another custom card, for the people in customs, main menu, discord servers (in general) was broken, even though it was an upstart goblin that drew a card once per duel. Alright.

At this point i said: "Hmm.. maybe i could play the TCG/OCG game to get an idea of what is broken and what is not" <----- This was the enlightenment.

· I activate Solemn Warning, opponent? you don't let me summon my monsters, how i'm supposed to play?, rage quits.
· I activate Skill Drain, opponent? says the whole game is about monsters' effects & proceeds with a little "screw you", rage quits.
· I activate Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring, opponent? rants about that being an unfair card, he's now starting with 4 cards in their first turn, rage quits.

:lol: I decided to change my deck, from control to beatdown.
Opponent: I hate the OTK decks, they're not fair to play against, you win in 1 turn, you're a noob.
:lol: Alright, i change my deck to stall (exodia).
Opponent: You're not fun to play against, bye. Quits.
:lol: Then i played an aggro deck.
Opponent: You Special Summon way too much, how many summons was that? 30? *rage quits*.
:lol: Finally i decided to use a Vanilla Deck.
Opponent: You're a noob, get some real cards to play LOL your deck is lame.
Me in my mind: (Real cards for you to rage quit?.. lulz)

At the end you realize is not about the cards, the effects, is about the player. For example you can consider something in customs broken, while konami releases cards like Engage (+7 per turn), SPYRAL Master Plan same (+7 per turn but unlike Engage, with master plan you only need her and Quick-Fix), Dragun of Red-Eyes? there are people praising that card saying its a fair card, "shouldn't be banned". You can see the hypocrisy in most players.

I suggest you to make your cards as you want, with common sense you'll eventually find out what is balanced or not. Don't ask anyone in duelingbook about balancing effects. And for god's sake, don't join the "Custom Cards Format" server (CCF), they have poor understanding about Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. Join the Shadow Realm server instead https://discord.gg/3aVGFt.
Last edited by | Hanverid | on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
People with a custom profile picture in Dueling Book, for some reason, are more toxic than the average Yu-Gi-Oh! players.

Image

Debt
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:31 am
Reputation: 42

Post #4 by Debt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Whatever beats Crystal is broken in his mind. He fully expects you to roll over and lose. But you already knew that

Renji Asuka
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:37 am
Reputation: 8

Post #5 by Renji Asuka » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:15 pm

| Hanverid | wrote:Here's my story about unfairness in customs:

I used to play a card that could halve my opponent's life points by banishing itself (a Synchro Monster). People were often ranting that it was broken, can't halve for free, etc. At that point i did agree with them, so i removed the monster.
Days later i created another custom card, for the people in customs, main menu, discord servers (in general) was broken, even though it was an upstart goblin that drew a card once per duel. Alright.

At this point i said: "Hmm.. maybe i could play the TCG/OCG game to get an idea of what is broken and what is not" <----- This was the enlightenment.

· I activate Solemn Warning, opponent? you don't let me summon my monsters, how i'm supposed to play?, rage quits.
· I activate Skill Drain, opponent? says the whole game is about monsters' effects & proceeds with a little "screw you", rage quits.
· I activate Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring, opponent? rants about that being an unfair card, he's now starting with 4 cards in their first turn, rage quits.

:lol: I decided to change my deck, from control to beatdown.
Opponent: I hate the OTK decks, they're not fair to play against, you win in 1 turn, you're a noob.
:lol: Alright, i change my deck to stall (exodia).
Opponent: You're not fun to play against, bye. Quits.
:lol: Then i played an aggro deck.
Opponent: You Special Summon way too much, how many summons was that? 30? *rage quits*.
:lol: Finally i decided to use a Vanilla Deck.
Opponent: You're a noob, get some real cards to play LOL your deck is lame.
Me in my mind: (Real cards for you to rage quit?.. lulz)

At the end you realize is not about the cards, the effects, is about the player. For example you can consider something in customs broken, while konami releases cards like Engage (+7 per turn), SPYRAL Master Plan same (+7 per turn but unlike Engage, with master play you only need her and Quick-Fix), Dragun of Red-Eyes? there are people praising that card saying its a fair card, "shouldn't be banned". You can see the hypocrisy in most players.

I suggest you to make your cards as you want, with common sense you'll eventually find out what is balanced or not. Don't ask anyone in duelingbook about balancing effects. And for god's sake, don't join the "Custom Cards Format" server (CFF), they have poor understanding about Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. Join the Shadow Realm server instead https://discord.gg/3aVGFt.

I personally don't bother with any "Custom Cards Discords", I liked the idea of them at first, but after CFF and one before it (I can't think of what it was called), I didn't like how the CAC people gave feedback on cards, saying something is "OP", while having even WORSE shit being legal. Or they flat out tell you to delete your shit with 0 constructive criticism. Which is why I say, if people complain your cards are "OP", you're doing something right.

Gishki. Elizabeth.
User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 pm
Reputation: 0

Post #6 by Gishki. Elizabeth. » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:44 pm

CFF is probably one of the worst servers about custom cards.

CrawTheShrimp
User avatar
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:54 pm
Reputation: 4

Post #7 by CrawTheShrimp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Depend on their archetype really.
Venoms need support. Snakes Rain was a lame excuse for Konami not to make supports for it. #ReptileSupportsIn2020

underworld king styx
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:48 pm
Reputation: 1

Post #8 by underworld king styx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:58 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:Customs is an extremely broken part of the game that DB offers.

Rule 1: Never duel anyone who has improper PSCT. This isn't saying to add cost to cards (CrystalMusic) but to make them readable and easy to follow. To know When/If it activates, where the condition is, where the cost is (if any) and where the effect is.

Rule 2: Never duel with anyone that has clearly busted cards, (example, the cards can turn into anything they want, or have insane protection with easy set up, there is too much to cover honestly).

Rule 3: If anyone has a card that banishes a card at the start of the duel, leave, these people have no intention on letting you win fairly. (Example, say you created a mill deck that isn't insane like Empty Jar OTK, but because they prevent you from milling their cards, you can't get your win condition.)

Rule 4: Never duel anyone with art that uses a "real life images", they are simply ugly to look at.

I follow these rules if I play at all. And typically, if anyone complains your cards are "OP" while they play worse shit, they have no room to talk.

I guess a gripe I could say is, it gets annoying when the only effects ppl know how to use on a monster is: If X is on the field you can special Y from hand, when Y is summoned, you can summon Z from your deck and it just goes into a full circle for the entire turn because everything calls everything.
I call out your name even in death! As King I command you to rise! Let your rotten scream command an army of the dead! Syncro Summon! Never dying potential! Ascend death, Red-Eyes Zombie Necro Dragon!

Nitumaki
User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 pm
Reputation: 0

Post #9 by Nitumaki » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Honestly a little bit of both. your spell just need a hard opt and i think that will be it for it to be balanced. Your opponent its just kind of toxic although i would probably also quit too if i am playing a backrow deck and get all my cards wiped lol

Neo_Fire_Sonic
User avatar
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 am
Reputation: 10

Post #10 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:18 am

If your archetype can shit out its entire deck every duel on one turn, its broken. And trust me alot of people's broken cards do that yet they cling to the belief that their cards are balanced.
Or you could be like me and put destruction immunity on a card and still somehow make the card suck.
b

Debt
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:31 am
Reputation: 42

Post #11 by Debt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:26 am

Personally, I make a distinction between broken and overpowered. Broken doesn't necessarily mean overpowered and being overpowered doesn't mean that it's broken by default. Broken can also be woefully bad. My basic criteria for being broken are the following

1. Does not have reasonable counterplay (typically means overpowered)
2. Element eliminates meaningful choice
3. Designer or developer completely misses the mark and the mechanic/game element does not function as intended
4. The game play element if completely binary and cannot be tuned to be balanced. (Mechanic is either overpowered or underpowered with no inbetween; video games suffer from this more than card games, board games or tabletop rpgs)

Gen 1 pokemon actually provides perfect examples for what I mean. Ghost-types were broken, they didn't function anywhere near as intended. The attacks were physically based but the ghost-types in the game were Special powerhouses thus couldn't make use of their own type attacks, ghost-type attacks were supposed to counter Psychic-types but Psychics were outright immune because of coding oversight and on top of all this the Ghost-types in gen 1 were poison-types as well so Psychic pokemon did extra damage to them. Ghost-typing was broken by criteria 3.

Psychic-types on the other hand were both broken and overpowered. They had no counterplay real available, Bug pokemon were severely understatted and the bug movepool was consisted of 3 attacks that ranged from weaker leech life which was worse than tackle to pin missile which could rng its way to hitting as hard as surf occasionally. Bugs weren't a threat when almost any Psychic pokemon can tank their weak hits and respond with a 1 shot. Psychic attacks hit everything with at least normal effectiveness with the only thing resisting it being Psychic-types. If you didn't include psychic types in your team comp you were gimping yourself. Psychic-typing was broken by criteria 1 and 2.

Outside of pokemon I can give a few more examples
1. Gambler, Guinsoo DotA. There was basically nothing you as the player could do vs Gambler, it was all rng whether you live or die to his All-in ultimate if he carried enough gold.
2. Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. This version of Akuma was far and away better than the rest of the roster and to prevent every match being Akuma mirrors he's not allowed to be played in tournament settings
3a. Truenamer in D&D 3rd edition. Exponentially gets more useless as you tackle more challenging content. Lack of playtesting is painfully apparent and quite shameful for such a cool concept.
3b. Firewall Dragon. I don't think Konami inteded this one to be the extra linking, ftk enabling nightmare monster it turned out to be. The goal was most likely to tailor make the Stardust Dragon of Link monsters but not giving it a hopt made things go horrifically wrong, and banning it any earlier would've been a faux pas due to being tied to promotional material.
4. Pre-rework Yorick from League of Legends. Yorick could never actually reach a state of balanced so Riot opted to kneecap him so he'll never see competitive play. When Yorick was numerically good he was an oppressive stonewall that was impossible to push out of lane due to his mindless harass pattern pushing you out of lane while also healing him so trading with him was futile.

To bring it to customs, Crystalmusic typically violates criteria 1-3.
1. Crystal makes everything unaffected by everything, makes it so that his cards cannot be tributed so that stats matter, then gives his cards unreasonable stats so you can't muster enough numbers to beat him.
2. Crystal often requires you to bring a deck that can just shit out monsters with huge numbers and needs something like a level 12 Divine Warrior, or machine or whatever or his boss monster can't be stopped so you can never actually play what you want to play against crystal but what he wants you to play
3. Crystal has shown himself to be incompetent at designing cards so often times they don't work as written. Prime example was his retarded Elemental Hero challenge which could be completed by Cyberstein even though his intent was that you had to fusion summon a bunch of trash e-hero monsters then use them to make a big dumb, uninteractive stat stick. He didn't change it until a judge weighed in because he was confident that everyone around him is incompetent.

His own criterion of broken boils down to
1. It can beat me
Hence why he can say Frostasaurus is broken because 1 tributes shouldn't produce more stats than Summoned Skull but a level 4 2500 atk monster that also gives all his cards +500 atk/def is balanced because it's helping him win.

sorry for the essay

DuskWill
User avatar
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:27 am
Reputation: 10
Location: Brasil

Post #12 by DuskWill » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 am

Debt wrote:sorry for the essay

Don't be, it's nice, precise, concise. I might even quote some of that for future explanations about the same topic.

Renji Asuka
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:37 am
Reputation: 8

Post #13 by Renji Asuka » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:13 am

Debt wrote:Personally, I make a distinction between broken and overpowered. Broken doesn't necessarily mean overpowered and being overpowered doesn't mean that it's broken by default. Broken can also be woefully bad. My basic criteria for being broken are the following

1. Does not have reasonable counterplay (typically means overpowered)
2. Element eliminates meaningful choice
3. Designer or developer completely misses the mark and the mechanic/game element does not function as intended
4. The game play element if completely binary and cannot be tuned to be balanced. (Mechanic is either overpowered or underpowered with no inbetween; video games suffer from this more than card games, board games or tabletop rpgs)

Gen 1 pokemon actually provides perfect examples for what I mean. Ghost-types were broken, they didn't function anywhere near as intended. The attacks were physically based but the ghost-types in the game were Special powerhouses thus couldn't make use of their own type attacks, ghost-type attacks were supposed to counter Psychic-types but Psychics were outright immune because of coding oversight and on top of all this the Ghost-types in gen 1 were poison-types as well so Psychic pokemon did extra damage to them. Ghost-typing was broken by criteria 3.

Psychic-types on the other hand were both broken and overpowered. They had no counterplay real available, Bug pokemon were severely understatted and the bug movepool was consisted of 3 attacks that ranged from weaker leech life which was worse than tackle to pin missile which could rng its way to hitting as hard as surf occasionally. Bugs weren't a threat when almost any Psychic pokemon can tank their weak hits and respond with a 1 shot. Psychic attacks hit everything with at least normal effectiveness with the only thing resisting it being Psychic-types. If you didn't include psychic types in your team comp you were gimping yourself. Psychic-typing was broken by criteria 1 and 2.

Outside of pokemon I can give a few more examples
1. Gambler, Guinsoo DotA. There was basically nothing you as the player could do vs Gambler, it was all rng whether you live or die to his All-in ultimate if he carried enough gold.
2. Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. This version of Akuma was far and away better than the rest of the roster and to prevent every match being Akuma mirrors he's not allowed to be played in tournament settings
3a. Truenamer in D&D 3rd edition. Exponentially gets more useless as you tackle more challenging content. Lack of playtesting is painfully apparent and quite shameful for such a cool concept.
3b. Firewall Dragon. I don't think Konami inteded this one to be the extra linking, ftk enabling nightmare monster it turned out to be. The goal was most likely to tailor make the Stardust Dragon of Link monsters but not giving it a hopt made things go horrifically wrong, and banning it any earlier would've been a faux pas due to being tied to promotional material.
4. Pre-rework Yorick from League of Legends. Yorick could never actually reach a state of balanced so Riot opted to kneecap him so he'll never see competitive play. When Yorick was numerically good he was an oppressive stonewall that was impossible to push out of lane due to his mindless harass pattern pushing you out of lane while also healing him so trading with him was futile.

To bring it to customs, Crystalmusic typically violates criteria 1-3.
1. Crystal makes everything unaffected by everything, makes it so that his cards cannot be tributed so that stats matter, then gives his cards unreasonable stats so you can't muster enough numbers to beat him.
2. Crystal often requires you to bring a deck that can just shit out monsters with huge numbers and needs something like a level 12 Divine Warrior, or machine or whatever or his boss monster can't be stopped so you can never actually play what you want to play against crystal but what he wants you to play
3. Crystal has shown himself to be incompetent at designing cards so often times they don't work as written. Prime example was his retarded Elemental Hero challenge which could be completed by Cyberstein even though his intent was that you had to fusion summon a bunch of trash e-hero monsters then use them to make a big dumb, uninteractive stat stick. He didn't change it until a judge weighed in because he was confident that everyone around him is incompetent.

His own criterion of broken boils down to
1. It can beat me
Hence why he can say Frostasaurus is broken because 1 tributes shouldn't produce more stats than Summoned Skull but a level 4 2500 atk monster that also gives all his cards +500 atk/def is balanced because it's helping him win.

sorry for the essay

"3. Crystal has shown himself to be incompetent at designing cards so often times they don't work as written. Prime example was his retarded Elemental Hero challenge which could be completed by Cyberstein even though his intent was that you had to fusion summon a bunch of trash e-hero monsters then use them to make a big dumb, uninteractive stat stick. He didn't change it until a judge weighed in because he was confident that everyone around him is incompetent."

Got a replay of that?

DuskWill
User avatar
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:27 am
Reputation: 10
Location: Brasil

Post #14 by DuskWill » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:15 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Debt wrote:Personally, I make a distinction between broken and overpowered. Broken doesn't necessarily mean overpowered and being overpowered doesn't mean that it's broken by default. Broken can also be woefully bad. My basic criteria for being broken are the following

1. Does not have reasonable counterplay (typically means overpowered)
2. Element eliminates meaningful choice
3. Designer or developer completely misses the mark and the mechanic/game element does not function as intended
4. The game play element if completely binary and cannot be tuned to be balanced. (Mechanic is either overpowered or underpowered with no inbetween; video games suffer from this more than card games, board games or tabletop rpgs)

Gen 1 pokemon actually provides perfect examples for what I mean. Ghost-types were broken, they didn't function anywhere near as intended. The attacks were physically based but the ghost-types in the game were Special powerhouses thus couldn't make use of their own type attacks, ghost-type attacks were supposed to counter Psychic-types but Psychics were outright immune because of coding oversight and on top of all this the Ghost-types in gen 1 were poison-types as well so Psychic pokemon did extra damage to them. Ghost-typing was broken by criteria 3.

Psychic-types on the other hand were both broken and overpowered. They had no counterplay real available, Bug pokemon were severely understatted and the bug movepool was consisted of 3 attacks that ranged from weaker leech life which was worse than tackle to pin missile which could rng its way to hitting as hard as surf occasionally. Bugs weren't a threat when almost any Psychic pokemon can tank their weak hits and respond with a 1 shot. Psychic attacks hit everything with at least normal effectiveness with the only thing resisting it being Psychic-types. If you didn't include psychic types in your team comp you were gimping yourself. Psychic-typing was broken by criteria 1 and 2.

Outside of pokemon I can give a few more examples
1. Gambler, Guinsoo DotA. There was basically nothing you as the player could do vs Gambler, it was all rng whether you live or die to his All-in ultimate if he carried enough gold.
2. Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. This version of Akuma was far and away better than the rest of the roster and to prevent every match being Akuma mirrors he's not allowed to be played in tournament settings
3a. Truenamer in D&D 3rd edition. Exponentially gets more useless as you tackle more challenging content. Lack of playtesting is painfully apparent and quite shameful for such a cool concept.
3b. Firewall Dragon. I don't think Konami inteded this one to be the extra linking, ftk enabling nightmare monster it turned out to be. The goal was most likely to tailor make the Stardust Dragon of Link monsters but not giving it a hopt made things go horrifically wrong, and banning it any earlier would've been a faux pas due to being tied to promotional material.
4. Pre-rework Yorick from League of Legends. Yorick could never actually reach a state of balanced so Riot opted to kneecap him so he'll never see competitive play. When Yorick was numerically good he was an oppressive stonewall that was impossible to push out of lane due to his mindless harass pattern pushing you out of lane while also healing him so trading with him was futile.

To bring it to customs, Crystalmusic typically violates criteria 1-3.
1. Crystal makes everything unaffected by everything, makes it so that his cards cannot be tributed so that stats matter, then gives his cards unreasonable stats so you can't muster enough numbers to beat him.
2. Crystal often requires you to bring a deck that can just shit out monsters with huge numbers and needs something like a level 12 Divine Warrior, or machine or whatever or his boss monster can't be stopped so you can never actually play what you want to play against crystal but what he wants you to play
3. Crystal has shown himself to be incompetent at designing cards so often times they don't work as written. Prime example was his retarded Elemental Hero challenge which could be completed by Cyberstein even though his intent was that you had to fusion summon a bunch of trash e-hero monsters then use them to make a big dumb, uninteractive stat stick. He didn't change it until a judge weighed in because he was confident that everyone around him is incompetent.

His own criterion of broken boils down to
1. It can beat me
Hence why he can say Frostasaurus is broken because 1 tributes shouldn't produce more stats than Summoned Skull but a level 4 2500 atk monster that also gives all his cards +500 atk/def is balanced because it's helping him win.

sorry for the essay

"3. Crystal has shown himself to be incompetent at designing cards so often times they don't work as written. Prime example was his retarded Elemental Hero challenge which could be completed by Cyberstein even though his intent was that you had to fusion summon a bunch of trash e-hero monsters then use them to make a big dumb, uninteractive stat stick. He didn't change it until a judge weighed in because he was confident that everyone around him is incompetent."

Got a replay of that?

This whole topic, basically: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7304

Renji Asuka
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:37 am
Reputation: 8

Post #15 by Renji Asuka » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:33 am

DuskWill wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Debt wrote:Personally, I make a distinction between broken and overpowered. Broken doesn't necessarily mean overpowered and being overpowered doesn't mean that it's broken by default. Broken can also be woefully bad. My basic criteria for being broken are the following

1. Does not have reasonable counterplay (typically means overpowered)
2. Element eliminates meaningful choice
3. Designer or developer completely misses the mark and the mechanic/game element does not function as intended
4. The game play element if completely binary and cannot be tuned to be balanced. (Mechanic is either overpowered or underpowered with no inbetween; video games suffer from this more than card games, board games or tabletop rpgs)

Gen 1 pokemon actually provides perfect examples for what I mean. Ghost-types were broken, they didn't function anywhere near as intended. The attacks were physically based but the ghost-types in the game were Special powerhouses thus couldn't make use of their own type attacks, ghost-type attacks were supposed to counter Psychic-types but Psychics were outright immune because of coding oversight and on top of all this the Ghost-types in gen 1 were poison-types as well so Psychic pokemon did extra damage to them. Ghost-typing was broken by criteria 3.

Psychic-types on the other hand were both broken and overpowered. They had no counterplay real available, Bug pokemon were severely understatted and the bug movepool was consisted of 3 attacks that ranged from weaker leech life which was worse than tackle to pin missile which could rng its way to hitting as hard as surf occasionally. Bugs weren't a threat when almost any Psychic pokemon can tank their weak hits and respond with a 1 shot. Psychic attacks hit everything with at least normal effectiveness with the only thing resisting it being Psychic-types. If you didn't include psychic types in your team comp you were gimping yourself. Psychic-typing was broken by criteria 1 and 2.

Outside of pokemon I can give a few more examples
1. Gambler, Guinsoo DotA. There was basically nothing you as the player could do vs Gambler, it was all rng whether you live or die to his All-in ultimate if he carried enough gold.
2. Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. This version of Akuma was far and away better than the rest of the roster and to prevent every match being Akuma mirrors he's not allowed to be played in tournament settings
3a. Truenamer in D&D 3rd edition. Exponentially gets more useless as you tackle more challenging content. Lack of playtesting is painfully apparent and quite shameful for such a cool concept.
3b. Firewall Dragon. I don't think Konami inteded this one to be the extra linking, ftk enabling nightmare monster it turned out to be. The goal was most likely to tailor make the Stardust Dragon of Link monsters but not giving it a hopt made things go horrifically wrong, and banning it any earlier would've been a faux pas due to being tied to promotional material.
4. Pre-rework Yorick from League of Legends. Yorick could never actually reach a state of balanced so Riot opted to kneecap him so he'll never see competitive play. When Yorick was numerically good he was an oppressive stonewall that was impossible to push out of lane due to his mindless harass pattern pushing you out of lane while also healing him so trading with him was futile.

To bring it to customs, Crystalmusic typically violates criteria 1-3.
1. Crystal makes everything unaffected by everything, makes it so that his cards cannot be tributed so that stats matter, then gives his cards unreasonable stats so you can't muster enough numbers to beat him.
2. Crystal often requires you to bring a deck that can just shit out monsters with huge numbers and needs something like a level 12 Divine Warrior, or machine or whatever or his boss monster can't be stopped so you can never actually play what you want to play against crystal but what he wants you to play
3. Crystal has shown himself to be incompetent at designing cards so often times they don't work as written. Prime example was his retarded Elemental Hero challenge which could be completed by Cyberstein even though his intent was that you had to fusion summon a bunch of trash e-hero monsters then use them to make a big dumb, uninteractive stat stick. He didn't change it until a judge weighed in because he was confident that everyone around him is incompetent.

His own criterion of broken boils down to
1. It can beat me
Hence why he can say Frostasaurus is broken because 1 tributes shouldn't produce more stats than Summoned Skull but a level 4 2500 atk monster that also gives all his cards +500 atk/def is balanced because it's helping him win.

sorry for the essay

"3. Crystal has shown himself to be incompetent at designing cards so often times they don't work as written. Prime example was his retarded Elemental Hero challenge which could be completed by Cyberstein even though his intent was that you had to fusion summon a bunch of trash e-hero monsters then use them to make a big dumb, uninteractive stat stick. He didn't change it until a judge weighed in because he was confident that everyone around him is incompetent."

Got a replay of that?

This whole topic, basically: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7304

"im not trying to seem important or anything like that. however i do want to thank those who pointed out some errors in the card. after all since it is publicly available it should have proper PSCT. so in a sense this post has helped with that from the replies of the other users and judges." -Crystal Music

And if I recall, CrystalMusic also says cards doesn't need proper PSCT....ze fudge nickles?

Debt
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:31 am
Reputation: 42

Post #16 by Debt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:48 am

Renji Asuka wrote:And if I recall, CrystalMusic also says cards doesn't need proper PSCT....ze fudge nickles?


When has he even been consistent?

Renji Asuka
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:37 am
Reputation: 8

Post #17 by Renji Asuka » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 am

It has to be an act, I refuse to believe they're that stupid.

| Hanverid |
User avatar
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:07 am
Reputation: 12
Location: París, France
Mood:

Post #18 by | Hanverid | » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:42 pm

I mean, your backrow removal can be considerated broken.. but if your card is broken.. what is this card?

Image
People with a custom profile picture in Dueling Book, for some reason, are more toxic than the average Yu-Gi-Oh! players.

Image

Renji Asuka
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:37 am
Reputation: 8

Post #19 by Renji Asuka » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm

| Hanverid | wrote:I mean, your backrow removal can be considerated broken.. but if your card is broken.. what is this card?

Image

A card made purely to sell a set or 2 lol

Neo_Fire_Sonic
User avatar
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 am
Reputation: 10

Post #20 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 pm

| Hanverid | wrote:I mean, your backrow removal can be considerated broken.. but if your card is broken.. what is this card?

Image


hatred in its purest form
b


Return to “Custom Cards”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests