Tag Duels?

Check here for the latest news and updates
XtevensChannel

Tag Duels?

Post #1 by XtevensChannel » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:20 pm

A lot of people have been requesting that tag duels be added to DB. Tag dueling means different things to different people, so for those of you who would like this feature, tell us specifically what you mean by tag duels, and how you would like us to implement them.

The Ghostricker

Post #2 by The Ghostricker » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 pm

It allows for mote varieties of interesting gameplay. And new ways to build decks and deck choices.

XtevensChannel

Post #3 by XtevensChannel » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 am

When I think of tag duels, I think of 2 players each sharing the same monster and spell/trap zones, graveyard, banished, and life points. They each have their own decks and their own hand though.

Yang Xiao Long

Post #4 by Yang Xiao Long » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:36 am

XtevensChannel wrote:When I think of tag duels, I think of 2 players each sharing the same monster and spell/trap zones, graveyard, banished, and life points. They each have their own decks and their own hand though.

I think this is the best format for Tag Duels. There are a couple other variants but aren't as effective as this one
Hashira | Tournament Organizer | Tournament Champion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twisted Soul

Post #5 by Twisted Soul » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:44 am

XtevensChannel wrote:When I think of tag duels, I think of 2 players each sharing the same monster and spell/trap zones, graveyard, banished, and life points. They each have their own decks and their own hand though.

This would be dope.
Until we meet again.

Genexwrecker

Post #6 by Genexwrecker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 am

sharing the field is the best formatting. however with the current state of the game tag duels would be pointless. whichever team had a player going first would win the game
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Corrin

Post #7 by Corrin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:30 am

This, but playing like that would be an absolute nightmare

Kara Kalinowski

Post #8 by Kara Kalinowski » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:21 am

I like official rules, with links and pendulum zones added, but the share-field thing is probably easier to implement

__Blank__
Mood:

Post #9 by __Blank__ » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Then there is the having your own field each, but both are considered shared, and you can only use your monsters, but can order them to protect your opponent from a direct attack at choice, or allow it through, which I would highly discourage, simply because I feel each having their own field in link format, and using each other's monsters would be too op with that many options, and access to revival cards.

I like the way you put it, and feel that would be the balanced way to go about implementing Tag Duels.

Twisted Soul

Post #10 by Twisted Soul » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:07 pm

The different field seems weird, when I think about tag duels I see people sharing a field monsters etc....obviously you should tag with someone you are compatible with and making it two different fields makes it complicated.
Until we meet again.

Genexwrecker

Post #11 by Genexwrecker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:59 am

id say lets wait a few weeks perhaps 2 so we can see how the new format shapes from the ycs upcoming next weekend. if the format seems healthier and not only ftks then i think it would be fair to consider acutally implementing the t ag duels. just my opinion though.

Twisted Soul

Post #12 by Twisted Soul » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:id say lets wait a few weeks perhaps 2 so we can see how the new format shapes from the ycs upcoming next weekend. if the format seems healthier and not only ftks then i think it would be fair to consider acutally implementing the t ag duels. just my opinion though.

It's probably for unrated. The new banlist wouldn't really matter much.
Until we meet again.

XtevensChannel

Post #13 by XtevensChannel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:34 am

Also to my understanding, in Tag Duels, only 1 player is allowed to use effects at a time, depending on who's turn it is. So your partner cannot use an effect to save you while you're the turn player.

Genexwrecker

Post #14 by Genexwrecker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:11 am

XtevensChannel wrote:Also to my understanding, in Tag Duels, only 1 player is allowed to use effects at a time, depending on who's turn it is. So your partner cannot use an effect to save you while you're the turn player.
this is correct

__Blank__
Mood:

Post #15 by __Blank__ » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:id say lets wait a few weeks perhaps 2 so we can see how the new format shapes from the ycs upcoming next weekend. if the format seems healthier and not only ftks then i think it would be fair to consider acutally implementing the t ag duels. just my opinion though.

How this format "shapes" to put it won't honestly have much influence if at all. You do got to consider once done it will be expected every format after, even if those formats are an FTK format also.

The better approach is finding a way to finetune it if you want to go that route, so that FTK/Stall/Burn/Etc are less Toxic to duel against.

KRALJ UNlVERZUMA

Post #16 by KRALJ UNlVERZUMA » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:59 pm

If you need any help about tag duels look at ''ygopro'' as example how tag duels looks there <.<

Natalia

Post #17 by Natalia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:42 am

Konami has implemented "official" rules for tag duels iirc... Now, in real life it would be an absolute nightmare to play like that since players would just troll during their partner's turn or stuff like that.

As for the rules, you can refer to this link: https://www.yugioh-card.com/en/league/d ... eling.html

__Blank__
Mood:

Post #18 by __Blank__ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Natalia wrote:Konami has implemented "official" rules for tag duels iirc... Now, in real life it would be an absolute nightmare to play like that since players would just troll during their partner's turn or stuff like that.

As for the rules, you can refer to this link: https://www.yugioh-card.com/en/league/d ... eling.html

Yet 3 versus 3 is applied in real life so the option for Tag Duels is doable.

Just keep in mind the next request would be for 3v3 once 2v2 get's implemented if it does.

ih8banlists

Post #19 by ih8banlists » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:09 pm

I actually posted this as a question here earlier but nobody replied at all and I presumed nobody is interested at all or that it simply is impossible to code it into DB's yugioh simulator. Maybe it can be done after all then?

There are two official variants of Tag Team Duels, the TCG version from Konami and the OCG version.

The TCG version had not been updated after August 2013:

https://www.yugioh-card.com/en/league/d ... eling.html

The OCG version. I think the OCG officially discontinued and phased out Tag Dueling long time ago since it's no longer on the OCG website although one can pull it up from the Web Archives, it's all in Japanese though: https://web.archive.org/web/20150912160 ... agduel.php English Translation available on yugioh wikia

The OCG version is very similar to the way it had been represented in the Tag Force series of video games on the Sony PSP, where only 2 Fields are used and 2 players of the same team share the same Field.

And as somebody mentioned about FTKs, OTKs from Burn, Stall, etc. being toxic, I won't disagree, it wouldn't make the game fun at all in Team Dueling with broken and annoying decks like those. As if they aren't annoying and bad enough for the regular formats.

Maybe a deck filter of some sort for matches might help? That way if someone is using any FTKs, OTKS, Burn, Stall, etc. Deck types for Tag Team formats you can just skip and avoid playing them altogether.

Just have the format left as an Unrated format instead is also best unless there's enough demand for it to have a Rated version of the format like Advanced Format currently has.

Hence why they had limited Final Countdown at the time Tag Team was introduced, simply because the Turn Count applied to every single Player in the game, since every player's turn on both teams counted, but that was for the TCG variant, as every player had their own field.

Here's my post at the Suggestions forum here earlier btw:

I think I've asked this question long ago before, don't know if I'm the first to ask about this or if anybody had asked about this previously.

It's just having another variety of play or another variety to spectate and watch, and I've more or less found myself more interested in watching other people play the game than play it myself these days.

Now I don't know if there are limitations, bandwidth costs or whatever that would make it very difficult to implement this?

But had the staff here at Dueling Network, all the programmers, etc. ever considered implementing support for either of the Team Dueling formats before? There are actually TWO variants of this. One for the TCG and one for the OCG. The OCG seems to be less complex since the entire field itself is shared between 4 players rather than the TCG version which every player gets their own individual fields.

I only presume they either didn't want to attempt it because of difficulty, time it takes to implement it and potential amount of bandwidth costs involved, so maybe that is why it still has not happened at this time. Maybe I'm right about this? Maybe I'm wrong?

And I think it's best as an Unrated format for experimental and testing purposes if it's ever considered, maybe like a beta testing version. Just to not complicate things with the rated formats that are already currently available here.

In case nobody is aware the "Tag" Team 2 players/duelists VS 2 2players/duelist format had been acknowledged and recognized by Konami back in August of 2013:

https://www.yugioh-card.com/en/league/dueling/tag_dueling.html (This is just the TCG variant)

Although it's probably obsolete and old now and banlists up to that point would be most relevant as the Master Rules had been updated more than once since 2013. All the more reason why I said an Unrated format just for experimental and testing purposes.

The one below is the OCG variant or version of the Team Dueling format, and I think this one would be more appropriate and up to date as it seems to support up till the Pendulum stuff and probably easier to program compared to the TCG version:

The original link for the OCG variant seemed to be gone, but it's still archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20150912160133/http://www.yugioh-card.com/japan/howto/tagduel.php

Because the original source for the OCG is all in Japanese so a complete English translation is provided below from yugioh wikia:

Priscilla

Post #20 by Priscilla » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:50 am

I love the OCG variant of the rules, but needs to be updated to the modern version.

Return to “Announcements”