"Old" fogey here.

Introduce yourself here
RYNO_Ross

"Old" fogey here.

Post #1 by RYNO_Ross » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:47 am

Hi! My name's RYNO_Ross, but feel free to call me either RYNO or Ross, whichever you prefer.

I'm not really old, but it's been ages since I played YGO. When I last played the game, I was just a young lad, fusion and ritual monsters were the most advanced summoning methods around, and GX was the most recent anime on the air in NA.

Suffice to say, I'm still trying to catch up with all these new rules. I'm already familiar with the rules of Synchro and XYZ summoning, but I'm still trying to get Pendulum down and don't know anything about Linking.

At this point, I'm still trying to learn about all the new cards and rules that have been implemented over the past few years. Until I feel comfortable enough, I'll just be in my corner trying to work on a deck.

Hope to have fun here with everyone! Wish me luck on the catch up!

Red_Fox

Post #2 by Red_Fox » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:39 pm

the Arc-V anime might be helpful if you want to learn about the new summon types in a narrative way.
the story features 4 parallel universes, each specialized to on summoning technique and they explain it pretty well.
(but it takes a long time to watch everything and you still have to read about the rule changes that came with link monsters)

link monsters are quite similar to xyz monsters, by using multiple monsters from the field. but instead of having the same level, they need to have the same type, attribute, name or whatever is written in the recipe.
just like some xyz monsters can be summoned by using lower ranked xyz monsters as materials, link monsters can also use other link monsters as materials and in that case, they count as multiple materials according to their link rating.

the most drastic change is the new extra monster zone.
there are 2, but each player may only use 1.
all monsters summoned from the extra deck must be summoned to the extra monster zone. this is quite a handicap, as you can only have 1 extra deck monster at a time, but this where link monsters help: any monster zone that a link monster points to (red arrow) also becomes another extra monster zone.
(even on the opponent's field, if it points there)

luckily, extra deck monsters revived from the graveyard or banished zone can be placed in any monster zone, since they were no summoned from the extra deck.

pendulums are a more complex, but the manual explains it pretty well.
note that pendulum monsters summoned from the extra deck must be placed in the extra monster zone.

have fun~

Return to “Introductions”