Creating a YT channel to understand Yu-Gi-Oh better

Introduce yourself here
TieDieDragon
Mood:

Re: Creating a YT channel to understand Yu-Gi-Oh better

Post #21 by TieDieDragon » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:30 pm

thank you boys for the feedback! The problem is because this is School related I have to use these sources or its not credible, but yeah I see what you mean with all of this and thank you so much for going through it and taking the time for giving me a hands on Feedback its really sweet of you!!!!!

Christen57

Post #22 by Christen57 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:47 pm

itsmetristan wrote:
Wek wrote:
itsmetristan wrote:- I noticed you call the text before the semi-colon just "activation". I'd probably choose a better word for that, since "activation" here doesn't really make a lot of sense on its own. If it was written as "activation procedure(s)" or something, that would make a lot more sense. Again, it's not a huge deal, just runs the risk of confusing some players.

- I touched on this a bit earlier, but after watching the "Summons" video, it's clear you're using the Konami blog articles (and the rulebook where it's applicable) as sources here. I HIGHLY advise against it. Konami's PSCT 5 one in particular (the one that covers the different types of summons) is infamous for being wrong, as it also misses the same thing I mentioned in the point above, and overall the articles are quite old. There are other places you can look to for sources, such as the Ygorganizarion "Demystifying Rulings" series.

I haven't watched the video, and largely agree with most of what you wrote in the general sense, but these two things stuck out at me.

Anything before a semicolon is what you do when activating the effect. I don't see much need to call it a "procedure".
"The basic structure is CONDITIONS : ACTIVATION ; RESOLUTION." is a quote right out of https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=2947

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=3111 Is an official Konami article. Ygorganization Demystifying Rulings pieces aren't. I would suggest looking for citations from Konami sources instead, especially if you want to clarify which parts of PSCT5 could be considered misleading. I agree that effect vs build-in is a bad description, for instance, due to things like Cyber Dragon etc, just as you mentioned.

The labeling of "CONDITION : ACTIVATION ; RESOLUTION. makes more sense there, because they're not labeling the actions before the semi-colon themselves as "ACTIVATION" (which is what the vids here do), they're saying WHEN you do the things listed in each part of the text. Before the colon are conditions you must meet to activate the card/effect, so those can't be "performed" at a certain time as they are not actions. Before the semi-colon are things you do on activation, and after both of those are things you do at resolution. Calling the actions before the semi-colon themselves as "activation procedures," or just "things you do when you activate the card/effect" makes more sense.

The Konami blog articles, such as the one you linked, are very old, and in the case of PSCT 5, state things that are just plain wrong. I don't recall the exact contents of them, so I don't know what the issues are outside of PSCT 5 since it's so infamous, but I do know for a fact that the game's rules from 2011 are greatly different from what they are now. The Demystifying Rulings series has up to date info you can find from the Rulebook, and other rules that you can grab official sources of. The articles are just easy reads to find this info without having to dig through the database, or other Konami sources that may not easily compile the info in one place. Also, after re-reading the Konami blog articles, they actually use some really horrendous terminology and wording. Worse than I remember, in fact.

What does the 5 mean in "PSCT 5"?

greg503

Post #23 by greg503 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 pm

Christen57 wrote:
itsmetristan wrote:
Wek wrote:
I haven't watched the video, and largely agree with most of what you wrote in the general sense, but these two things stuck out at me.

Anything before a semicolon is what you do when activating the effect. I don't see much need to call it a "procedure".
"The basic structure is CONDITIONS : ACTIVATION ; RESOLUTION." is a quote right out of https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=2947

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=3111 Is an official Konami article. Ygorganization Demystifying Rulings pieces aren't. I would suggest looking for citations from Konami sources instead, especially if you want to clarify which parts of PSCT5 could be considered misleading. I agree that effect vs build-in is a bad description, for instance, due to things like Cyber Dragon etc, just as you mentioned.

The labeling of "CONDITION : ACTIVATION ; RESOLUTION. makes more sense there, because they're not labeling the actions before the semi-colon themselves as "ACTIVATION" (which is what the vids here do), they're saying WHEN you do the things listed in each part of the text. Before the colon are conditions you must meet to activate the card/effect, so those can't be "performed" at a certain time as they are not actions. Before the semi-colon are things you do on activation, and after both of those are things you do at resolution. Calling the actions before the semi-colon themselves as "activation procedures," or just "things you do when you activate the card/effect" makes more sense.

The Konami blog articles, such as the one you linked, are very old, and in the case of PSCT 5, state things that are just plain wrong. I don't recall the exact contents of them, so I don't know what the issues are outside of PSCT 5 since it's so infamous, but I do know for a fact that the game's rules from 2011 are greatly different from what they are now. The Demystifying Rulings series has up to date info you can find from the Rulebook, and other rules that you can grab official sources of. The articles are just easy reads to find this info without having to dig through the database, or other Konami sources that may not easily compile the info in one place. Also, after re-reading the Konami blog articles, they actually use some really horrendous terminology and wording. Worse than I remember, in fact.

Part 5, the special summons
Buy Floowandereeze

itsmetristan

Post #24 by itsmetristan » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:33 am

Christen57 wrote:
itsmetristan wrote:
Wek wrote:

Part 5 of Konami's PSCT blogs at the time, which (poorly) covered summons that occur during a resolving chain vs ones that don't

RC-2
PC-1

Senior Admin

Cromat

Post #25 by Cromat » Sun May 01, 2022 8:18 pm

The new video when? I am really excited about it.

Return to “Introductions”