Custom Cards?

Check here for the latest news and updates
XtevensChannel

Custom Cards?

Post #1 by XtevensChannel » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:12 am

Custom cards in decks is a popular feature that's been requested a lot. Although it may be a possibility, there are several factors that would need to be finalized in order to make the feature a reality. There are several different ways we it could be implemented. Here are a few examples.

Option A:

• When you create a custom card, only you can use that card.
  • You can edit your custom cards.
  • You can delete your customs cards.

Option B:

• When you create a custom card, you can specify whether it will be a private card so that only you can use it, or a public card that anyone can search for and use.
  • You can edit your own custom cards only if they are private.
  • You can delete your own customs cards only if they are private.

Searching for Custom Cards

There would likely be a new combo box added in Deck Constructor with 2-3 options:

• The option to not include custom cards in searches.
  • The option to include your own custom cards in searches. (This would be the default option)
  • The option to include all public custom cards in searches.

Using Custom Cards in Duels

A new format for custom cards would be added to the Duel Room. The format would be unrated, and would be similar to Unlimited Format, with the only difference being that custom cards would be allowed.

Editing / Deleting Cards

When you make changes to a card, it becomes an issue if other people have already added that card to their decks, and weren't expecting it to be changed. So, if we did make it possible to edit cards, it's probably a good idea to only allow edits if you were the only person using that card. If you delete one of your custom cards, all copies of that card will be removed from your decks that contained it.

Importing / Exporting decks containing custom cards:

Because YDK files are based on cards' 8-digit passcodes, custom cards would not be able to be imported through YDK files. They could possibly be imported and exported through other file types, like an XML file or a JSON file. (These files would NOT be compatible with other Yugioh simulators like YDK files)

Card Images:

There will probably be some deviant users who upload inappropriate card images for their cards. We may have to have a moderating team watching incoming image uploads and remove images that are inappropriate, and revoke uploading privileges for those users. Otherwise their unsuspecting opponents would end up viewing content they probably don't want to see.

the flaming storm

Post #2 by the flaming storm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:40 am

just one question. can we put custom cards that already exist to have a custom picture of it ? just like orica

Zaziuma

Post #3 by Zaziuma » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 am

Not sure if you know, but Duel Portal is for custom card playing. It would be nice to have it on DB, but if you already want to play you can do so: http://duel-portal.com/

In case you want to get in touch with the creator, there's a thread here:
https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic ... ad-online/
All my custom cards are available on Duel Portal. It's like Dueling Book, but for custom cards! Check it out: https://duel-portal.com/

Kara Kalinowski

Post #4 by Kara Kalinowski » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:31 pm

I would very much like option B. A further suggestion would be to allow designating a set ID and allow searching cards by set, so that formats with custom cards could be created. (Example how TCG cards have a set ID like LOB, MRD, etc.. allow that for custom cards to group them together)

nerd314

Post #5 by nerd314 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:04 am

opition B

Wobbu

Post #6 by Wobbu » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Option B, but with the ability to edit and delete them them. If a custom card has been edited by the original owner, perhaps a little update button should appear on the corner of the card in the deck constructer, and by clicking it, the card gets its newer version. If a card has been deleted, it should be grayed out and unusable, but there should also be an option to make your own copy of it from the original version if you want to.

Like Kara said, being able to organize them into sets would be cool too.
Server Owner and Administrator of the DB Donation Code Contests Server.
Executive of Ozone Tournaments.

DB Donation Code Contests: https://discord.gg/WJgXqTs
Ozone Tournament: https://discord.gg/AeGN3qJ
Dono codes are given as prizes in both.

Hyde

Post #7 by Hyde » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm

I like this idea. Option B definitely sounds like the better of the two. However, just by looking at the public chat and the status wall on Dueling Book where people sometimes post created card ideas, not everyone knows how to word cards correctly to clearly identify how the card resolves so what kind of tools/features would be implemented? Like will there be templates people could use when creating? A vocabulary tool/directory so people know what terms to use to get the desired outcome like using "if" vs "when" and "then" vs "and if you do"? Would there be a Spell Check tool to avoid spelling errors?

I think something like this would be an amazing add because lots of people have had wonderful ideas for archetypes and support cards and it would be a wonderful learning tool too to explore terminology of Yu-Gi-Oh! to help better understand card text for those who don't already or have difficulties.

Also when searching in the Deck Constructor are the custom cards going to have an indicator to show they are custom and not official? Kinda like how the TCG and OCG exclusive cards are labeled and the banned, limited and semi-limited?

Ezra_Scarlet
Mood:

Post #8 by Ezra_Scarlet » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:11 pm

How about this: Before a custom can be used, period, it needs to be approved first. Not only would this allow for innapropriate stuff to be kept out, it would also stay balanced (I/E "If you draw this card, you win the Duel"-type cards
<script src="https://redalert.battleforthenet.com/widget.js" async></script>

Pfannkuchen

Post #9 by Pfannkuchen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Option B all the way! Good idea.

KrillexHD

Post #10 by KrillexHD » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:41 am

Option B sounds good. This custom card feature could really be fun, so I hope this happens

Him

Post #11 by Him » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:56 am

Ezra_Scarlet wrote:How about this: Before a custom can be used, period, it needs to be approved first. Not only would this allow for innapropriate stuff to be kept out, it would also stay balanced (I/E "If you draw this card, you win the Duel"-type cards

I think this is the best way to go about it, and going with option B this would only be applied for public cards.

CMEshai

Post #12 by CMEshai » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:54 am

While I like option B, I feel it doesn't do what some people might want to do: Making Competitive Formats with Custom Cards

Imo I would rather have a folder system similar to google docs or Discord, where you can let people have varying levels of access, as well as their own banlists. This way people could A. Make formats a lot easier to access, and B. Effectively cooperate with other people to make formats, and C. Create safe spaces for fun and balanced card design
Bit new around here, but if you have any Problem Solving Card Text questions, Game Design topics, or custom cards you want to be reviewed I can help.

Yugi Boy

Post #13 by Yugi Boy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:21 pm

This sounds super cool and I'm excited for it, any ETA on when this feature may be available?

Second Code

Post #14 by Second Code » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:53 am

Zaziuma wrote:Not sure if you know, but Duel Portal is for custom card playing. It would be nice to have it on DB, but if you already want to play you can do so: http://duel-portal.com/

Hey I tried to register but could not get past the challenge question

Zaziuma

Post #15 by Zaziuma » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Second Code wrote:
Zaziuma wrote:Not sure if you know, but Duel Portal is for custom card playing. It would be nice to have it on DB, but if you already want to play you can do so: http://duel-portal.com/

Hey I tried to register but could not get past the challenge question

As I said, if you want to get in touch with the creator, follow the link. I can't help you with that.
All my custom cards are available on Duel Portal. It's like Dueling Book, but for custom cards! Check it out: https://duel-portal.com/

james111

Post #16 by james111 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Option B Please!

Adolf Meme

Post #17 by Adolf Meme » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:08 pm

I just made a thread reqesting the same thing. Please duelingbook. its not that hard, im not saying i am a coding genius myself, but they do not need to code the cards for us, they just need us to be able to enter description/picture/atk/def/etc. If we could create and share custom formats, create archetypes, and even play vs others. I honestly would not mind a ``card art must be approvedd`` because obvs people could post fucked up shit. But that would not be much of a problem. I would REALLY REALLY love this. DUELINGBOOK HEAR US!!!

BearNation360
Mood:

Post #18 by BearNation360 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:33 pm

yoooo thanks for starting custom cards on db, stuffs about to get interesting

{SKYRIM_Paladins} Okami

Post #19 by {SKYRIM_Paladins} Okami » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 pm

we should be able to make Custom Tokens as well

Return to “Announcements”