Friendly tip on finding imagry for your custom cards.

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Christen57

Re: Friendly tip on finding imagry for your custom cards.

Post #21 by Christen57 » Sat May 02, 2020 2:38 am

Play2X wrote:Or even use no pic at all (my cards are in that stage right now).

The main benefit of having artworks on your cards is so that it makes it easier to get to the card you want when for example searching. Like if you play a deck that searches a lot, such as my Minecraft deck, and you open up your deck to choose the card to search, if your cards have no artwork, you would have to manually hover your mouse over each card in your deck until you got to the one you wanted. It makes your plays faster.

Like imagine playing Tellarknights and summoning deneb to search vega. Without any artworks, you would have to spend more time looking at each card's name to see with one is vega, whereas with artworks, you can simply look for the picture of vega in your deck and you immediately know where vega is.

Play2X

Post #22 by Play2X » Sat May 02, 2020 12:19 pm

Well yes, I'm aware, my Modern Magician Girl exactly has that problem, actually. But I still prefer to have a black background over using random google search pics, which probably aren't even for free use. In a perfect world, obviously every card we make has a good artwork, but I don't think it is as important as the effect of the card itself.

Christen57

Post #23 by Christen57 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Play2X wrote:Well yes, I'm aware, my Modern Magician Girl exactly has that problem, actually. But I still prefer to have a black background over using random google search pics, which probably aren't even for free use. In a perfect world, obviously every card we make has a good artwork, but I don't think it is as important as the effect of the card itself.

What's "for free use" supposed to mean? Are you saying google charged you money to use images you found on it?

Renji Asuka

Post #24 by Renji Asuka » Sun May 03, 2020 1:23 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Play2X wrote:Well yes, I'm aware, my Modern Magician Girl exactly has that problem, actually. But I still prefer to have a black background over using random google search pics, which probably aren't even for free use. In a perfect world, obviously every card we make has a good artwork, but I don't think it is as important as the effect of the card itself.

What's "for free use" supposed to mean? Are you saying google charged you money to use images you found on it?

More like images are probably not copyright free.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Play2X

Post #25 by Play2X » Sun May 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Yeah, that one. I'm no legal expert, but most pictures on google are not just "Hey, they're up here, so I'ma use them for whatever". Game Theory had a video on that some years ago, but whatever. I THINK we are safe since we don't use pictures for commercial use anyway, but still, legal stuff is a slippery slope, and I certainly wouldn't trust google on that one.

Christen57

Post #26 by Christen57 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:32 pm

Play2X wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:What's "for free use" supposed to mean? Are you saying google charged you money to use images you found on it?

Yeah, that one. I'm no legal expert, but most pictures on google are not just "Hey, they're up here, so I'ma use them for whatever". Game Theory had a video on that some years ago, but whatever. I THINK we are safe since we don't use pictures for commercial use anyway, but still, legal stuff is a slippery slope, and I certainly wouldn't trust google on that one.

Even if they are protected by copyright, as i've said before, you can use copyrighted stuff without the owner's permission as long as it falls under fair use.
Using copyrighted images for your custom images should fall under fair use since you are not profiting off of it, nor are you affecting the market or the original copyright holder's ability to make money in any way.

Shugunou

Post #27 by Shugunou » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:02 am

Christen57 wrote:
Play2X wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:More like images are probably not copyright free.

Even if they are protected by copyright, as i've said before, you can use copyrighted stuff without the owner's permission as long as it falls under fair use.
Using copyrighted images for your custom images should fall under fair use since you are not profiting off of it, nor are you affecting the market or the original copyright holder's ability to make money in any way.

That is how it should be, but not how it is. You can still be sued even if it falls under fair use. When you download the image, you should always check the source to see if it is someone who would sue. Some people don't care about morals and will just sue you because they can make money that way. If you use an image from someone who is willing to go to those lengths just to make money, you have to be willing to defend that it is fair use and hope that you have better lawyers. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. Copyright law isn't designed for the digital age.

Christen57

Post #28 by Christen57 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:36 am

Shugunou wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Play2X wrote:

That is how it should be, but not how it is. You can still be sued even if it falls under fair use. When you download the image, you should always check the source to see if it is someone who would sue. Some people don't care about morals and will just sue you because they can make money that way. If you use an image from someone who is willing to go to those lengths just to make money, you have to be willing to defend that it is fair use and hope that you have better lawyers.

I don't know how checking the sources helps me "see if it is someone who would sue". It's better to just ask them if they would, and even then, they can lie and say they would or wouldn't.

I doubt I would need lawyers for something as basic as fair use. I would just have to rely on the 4 criterias to determine if it falls under fair use, and the judge would make the final decision based on that.

Shugunou

Post #29 by Shugunou » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:06 am

Again, that's how it should be but not how it is. Also, you can look up online to see what the company has sued people for.

james123
Mood:

Post #30 by james123 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:33 pm

Christen57 wrote:I drew one of my own artworks for a duston support card in microsoft paint, but it took me like an hour or two.

and Also, The Tricky Spells, The Tindangles, and the Salvos, and My Ojamas and Appliancers

Return to “Custom Cards”