A taste of an archtype my brother and I are working on.

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Grace_T
Mood:

A taste of an archtype my brother and I are working on.

Post #1 by Grace_T » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:18 am

for now, i'm showing off a few of the 12 cards i'v made(to test the waters of sorts.)

Let's start with a rundown on this archtype:

"Servant" monsters are a type of rock-paper-scissor monsters that revolve around the idea of boosting their damage when facing off against another "Servant" monster it's strong against. No "servant" monster is a normal monster, all effects.
normal summon/tribute summoned cards usually only have the attack boost, rarely having another effect.
Advanced summoned monsters can have an extra effect or rarely lack the boost.
S/T cards are usually bonus effects when equipped to a specific sup type(Saber, Archer, Lancer, etc.) and some effects are limited to field spells.

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge with card text, as i just recently learned about the proper format.
I am also not sharing the direct card link as i want to wait until i'v finished the base deck centered around this Archtype.

https://imgur.com/7J4u3Vo
"Servant Rider - Ushiwakamaru"

https://imgur.com/jYwjEnF
"Servant Avenger - Angra Mainyu"

https://imgur.com/msB963v
"Servant Ruler - Jeanne D'arc"

https://imgur.com/uIasCap
"Class Avenger" one of a set of field cards.

All examples are heavily WIP as I want to complete the full set before getting into the fine tuning.

Play2X

Post #2 by Play2X » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:23 am

Haha, I knew what was coming the moment I read "Servant". Not that I have a problem with it, being a F/SN since like 2009 or so.
Now, to the problems I see. The effects are kinda not relevant, because how exactly would your opponent even have other Servant monsters? That means, your cards are essencially Normal Spirits, which would do jack. But to be honest, a Fate-style deck seems rather hard. How would I go about this... hmm, probably I'd do Master cards, say Master Emiya Shirou, where the Master Cards have 3 Spell Counters (Command Spells) to SS their specific Servant. In this Case Servant Saber - Arthuria Pendragon. The problem comes thereafter. In, how do you want to make this deck work? Servants have some... kind of broken effects. I mean, Arthuria on her own would probably her Invisible Sword form, so she should only have like a 1 card target destruction or so, which would bring out Excalibur, I suppose. But well, Excalibur would be basically Raigeki, and there we get into the problems. Uh, I think it'll take a lot of time, to make a satisfying Fate Deck, especially if you keep in mind who you play against. If you play this against your brother, it might be a lot of fun, but in customs? I think that would hurt, quite a lot.

Alnair

Post #3 by Alnair » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:43 am

I haven't watched Fate so I won't really get the context of this, but I agree with the above in that your cards don't really do enough outside the mirror match.

Btw, isn't Fate based on the tale of King Arthur which Noble Knights are also based on?

Grace_T
Mood:

Post #4 by Grace_T » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:28 am

Alnair wrote:I haven't watched Fate so I won't really get the context of this, but I agree with the above in that your cards don't really do enough outside the mirror match.

Btw, isn't Fate based on the tale of King Arthur which Noble Knights are also based on?

Play2X wrote:Haha, I knew what was coming the moment I read "Servant". Not that I have a problem with it, being a F/SN since like 2009 or so.
Now, to the problems I see. The effects are kinda not relevant, because how exactly would your opponent even have other Servant monsters? That means, your cards are essencially Normal Spirits, which would do jack. But to be honest, a Fate-style deck seems rather hard. How would I go about this... hmm, probably I'd do Master cards, say Master Emiya Shirou, where the Master Cards have 3 Spell Counters (Command Spells) to SS their specific Servant. In this Case Servant Saber - Arthuria Pendragon. The problem comes thereafter. In, how do you want to make this deck work? Servants have some... kind of broken effects. I mean, Arthuria on her own would probably her Invisible Sword form, so she should only have like a 1 card target destruction or so, which would bring out Excalibur, I suppose. But well, Excalibur would be basically Raigeki, and there we get into the problems. Uh, I think it'll take a lot of time, to make a satisfying Fate Deck, especially if you keep in mind who you play against. If you play this against your brother, it might be a lot of fun, but in customs? I think that would hurt, quite a lot.

Yeah, i'm aware of the fact that they are underwhelming atm.

My plan is to revise and work on them overtime so they can be used in conventional duels. as they are now, they can only be useful when facing off against other "Servant" monsters. The only ones with some form of unique effects are Jeanne, Artoria ruler and summer BB(who's straight up busted as a joke. total immunity and enough attack points to overpower any other monster.)

right now i'm working on the framework, establishing a common theme. I might alter the "Servant" requirement and change it to specific types or attributes(in a rock/paper/scissors fashion, to fit the theme.)

i'll also be looking at existing cards for references, like blue eyes shining will be used as Merlin except as a support card over a 3000+ beat stick.

Return to “Custom Cards”