Spellbook Prophecy Support

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Alnair

Spellbook Prophecy Support

Post #1 by Alnair » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Spellbook Pendulums! - https://forum.duelingbook.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9094

DISCLAIMER: This support is to help bring this archetype up to the level of the current Meta of 2019/20. If designing this archetype from scratch I would do so differently to Konami, but building on their bad foundation, this is how I would look to improve things without outright creating one of the most broken cards created in Spellbook of Judgment.

Her first effect is to give Spellbook/Prophecy a way of consistently getting another monster on the field for Crowley and help out with board presence in general. She supports all variants of the Prophecy archetype, including High Priestess (Justice), World (Temperance) and Reaper (Fool) as well as some XYZ variants that might use Hermit and maybe even Amores. She summons only Level 3 "Prophecy" monsters to avoid becoming a splashable engine with Spellbook Magician of Prophecy, though her restriction of summoning only Spellcaster monsters also helps with that.

Her second effect simply does what her name and attribute implies (she's the Master of "Blue Boy") - adding a Spellbook from Deck but also from GY as well, meaning you can grab back a destroyed Spellbook Grand Tower, Spellbook of Eternity etc which means having to play less copies of those cards and therefore bricking less.

Prophecy supports Spellbooks, Spellbooks support Spellcasters. Therefore, Spellbook spells can't reference the Prophecy archetype in their text. Konami's crappy translation of "Magicial" into "Prophecy" but "Magical book" into "Spellbook" is annoying. Nonetheless, this card functions as generic Spellcaster Ritual support. Banishing Spellbooks is a way to help alleviate some of the cost of Ritual Summoning, while the second effect is to help this deck with going second which is a struggle for Spellbooks/Prophecy. It requires that your opponent controls more monsters and you have 3 Spellbooks with different names in the GY, but in return it summons a Level 5 or higher Spellcaster to help counter the opponent's field, albeit with their effects negated. It helps make Spellbooks like Master and Power more consistent since they require a Spellcaster on the field.

Simply a much improved Spellbook of Wisdom but for monster effects. The only thing I'd think about changing is the first effect's ability to protect cards in the GY - I may leave that as a vulnerability on purpose, but then the card only protects one single card unlike certain cards like Miscellaneousaurus so it's probably fine as is.

I designed this card to be a decent option going first but a powerful option for the deck when going second. The first effect sends a Spellbook to the GY which, going second, means being able to send Evocation or Spirits to help create field presence or protect yourself as you try to play against today's ridiculous boards. The second effect only corrects a card in the hand which is still -1 overall and it has a fair activation requirement, but against a big field it can provide good removal. As a downside, if the player is unable to get rid of this card then they are locked into playing no Spells other than Spellbook spells while it's face-up. Not much of a hindrance to Spellbooks/Prophecy, the deck that needs to this kind of card going second, but it is for a deck like Pendulums if they tried to splash this in.

I like creating a splashable "traitor" card in archetypes that help counter their own deck as a way to keep that deck in check if it ever were to become dominant, e.g. like Abyss Dweller. The original Prophecy Destroyer was too hit or miss for my liking. Sure, it enabled some OTKs since it wasn't once per turn, but it was such a dead draw that many decks just didn't run it. Still, I designed this card to still give use to the original which I'll mention later.

Firstly, it's unable to be returned from the field or GY to the hand. This is primarily to prevent looping the card, but it also serves as a bit of protection against cards like compulsory evacuation device though your opponent is unlikely to want to return this card to your hand anyway. Secondly, it banishes a searched card until the opponent's EP. This helps slow decks down or outright end their turn if you manage to snipe a key card, but to balance this the opponent takes no battle damage during your next Battle Phase. This is to ensure that the opponent does get the opportunity to play the card they searched, but the player gets a chance to play between that. Last, it's final effect is a hard once per turn on the original Prophecy Destroyer. This is to disable some OTKs, give this card a benefit when played within its own archetype (Dweller gains atk when a water is used as material) and also to keep the original Prophecy Destroyer an option for those players who might want to tech one in for the OTK potential.

Also, the art (credit to whoever made it) of Prophecy Destroyer dropping Spellbook Magician's Spellbook of Secrets after snatching it just matches so perfectly with it being an anti-search card - https://youtu.be/RHlC9DJLKb8?t=257

Thanks for reading and feedback is welcome. I have other support that I'd like to post as well but the camera in DB isn't working for custom cards atm so I'll have to post them another time :D

Also, if you'd like to have a play around with these cards then let me know and I'll make them public on DB.
Last edited by Alnair on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

| Hanverid |
Mood:

Post #2 by | Hanverid | » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:48 pm

So this is the guy who wrote my direct attack was the most broken thing ever created? All of those cards are unbalanced as well as broken as hell. And the cherry on the cake is that last monster "Unaffected by Spells" LMFAO. Thank you for making this post, this shows how hypocrites can yugioh players be.
Last edited by | Hanverid | on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire whoever designed that bottle. KaibaCorp's products shouldn't bend so easily.

TheNastyDoctor
Mood:

Post #3 by TheNastyDoctor » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:56 pm

| Hanverid | wrote:So this is the retard that wrote my direct attack was the most broken thing every created? All of those cards are unbalanced as well as broken as hell. And the cherry on the cake is that last monster "Unaffected by Spells" LMFAO. Thank you for making this post, this shows how hypocrites can yugioh players be.

I told you to ignore him. His spellbook cards are laughable.

Alnair

Post #4 by Alnair » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:59 pm

| Hanverid | wrote:So this is the guy who wrote my direct attack was the most broken thing ever created?

"most broken thing ever created"

Alnair wrote:It's broken. We don't need to know what the other Phanatic cards do because it's generic and would steal so many games just from its first effect. Then add in the second effect potentially looping cards like Waboku and Threatening Roar while he keeps dodging your opponent and returning to deal 2500 every turn and you get the gist.

Quite the exaggeration. And the fact that you would compare a monster that discards itself for a net +0 to summon out an underwhelming Level 3 Prophecy monster and has another effect which simply adds a spellbook back to recover the cost of its own ritual summon to a card that loops cards like Waboku while being able to attack directly for 2500 while banishing itself to dodge your opponent is comical.

| Hanverid | wrote:All of those cards are unbalanced as well as broken as hell. And the cherry on the cake is that last monster "Unaffected by Spells" LMFAO. Thank you for making this post, this shows how hypocrites can yugioh players be.

Explain how each one is "unbalanced as well as broken as hell" like how I explained what was wrong with your card.

TheNastyDoctor
Mood:

Post #5 by TheNastyDoctor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:45 am

Han don't fall in his game, ignore this special ed kid and continue with your life.

| Hanverid |
Mood:

Post #6 by | Hanverid | » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:49 am

It's okay guys chill out. I made a balanced deck.
https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=5372988
(I hope it's not too broken for Alnair)
Fire whoever designed that bottle. KaibaCorp's products shouldn't bend so easily.

-Vantage.Princess-
Mood:

Post #7 by -Vantage.Princess- » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:52 am

Alnair is the new CrystalMusic?
Your friends can't help you.

Code: Select all

Our enemy is crushed and our victory assured. Strategically, this one's in the bag!

Alnair

Post #8 by Alnair » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:35 am

I'm starting to see why this forum has so few active members...

Alnair wrote:
| Hanverid | wrote:All of those cards are unbalanced as well as broken as hell. And the cherry on the cake is that last monster "Unaffected by Spells" LMFAO. Thank you for making this post, this shows how hypocrites can yugioh players be.

Explain how each one is "unbalanced as well as broken as hell" like how I explained what was wrong with your card.

| Hanverid | wrote:It's okay guys chill out. I made a balanced deck.
https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=5372988
(I hope it's not too broken for Alnair)

This doesn't look like an explanation to me. Back up what you said or get out of here.

Alnair

Post #9 by Alnair » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:37 pm

I highly doubt the criticism above was coming from a genuine place, but I've still taken all the comments onboard and updated the cards.

Spellbook Master of Prophecy - No update. I've received positive feedback from everyone I've tested this card against.

Spellbook Evocation - Similar story, positive feedback and no complaints. Positive comments from opponents on the wording of the Ritual Summoning effect and it being limited to using only 1 effect once per turn.

Spellbook of Spirits - Updated to making the targeted "Spellbook" card or Spellcaster monster unaffected by opposing monster effects activated in the same chain as this card for the rest of the turn, instead of all opposing monster effects that turn. The previous effect was a bit too strong against monster heavy decks. Also, I've improved PSCT for the last effect using Salamangreat Balelynx as a reference.

Spellbook Library in the Abyss - Changed the second effect to destroying rather than sending. It has to not target in order for this effect to be usable during the first turn of a duel, so making it destroy rather than send balances how good the removal is.

Prophecy Destroyer - Black Rebellion - I actually got good feedback from this card, but I changed the first effect from being unaffected by Spells to being unable to return from the field or GY to the hand. This is to prevent looping and as a by-product adds some protection for it. The feedback for the updated version was that it's actually too weak because you're unable to deal damage during the next BP, but I prefer this clause being there because it helps ensure the opponent will get another turn to play the card they searched.

Return to “Custom Cards”