Custom Extra Deck Mechanic - Oath Summons!

Post your custom made cards in this forum
KaitoPrower

Custom Extra Deck Mechanic - Oath Summons!

Post #1 by KaitoPrower » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:05 am

This is an idea I've recently been playing around with in my head and I'd like to get the opinion of my fellow C-a-C members! The idea is a new Extra Deck monster (emerald green-colored card) summoned via a new Special Summoning mechanic called Oath Summoning, which combines certain elements of Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Summoning together to allow for temporarily-upgraded, extra deck versions of certain monsters in an archetype.

The basic terms of the mechanic are: Partner card, bind, Oath Summon, Oath Monster, Oath Material, Pledge Marker, and Fulfill Marker.

1. Cards can either have or be given the "Partner" subtype, which treats the card as a Partner card, similar to a Tuner, but can be applied to more than just monster cards/tokens; Spells/Traps can be denoted as Partners as well.

2. Partner cards can be "bound" together and become Oath Material, which are also bound to the Special Summoned Oath Monster, similarly to Xyz Materials, but are not used for additional effects themselves through removal.

3. Oath Monsters have either specific or generic cards listed on them that are required to summon them, akin to the materials listed on a Fusion Monster.

4. When an Oath Monster is Oath Summoned, Pledge Markers (designed to be easily distinguished from Counters) are placed on the Oath Monster equal to the number of material used to summon it.

5. During each of your Standby Phases after the Oath Monster is summoned, you must remove a Pledge Marker from it.

6. If there are no Markers remaining when you are required to remove one, the Oath Monster is sent (not destroyed) to the graveyard and the Oath Materials that were attached to it are simultaneously returned, not Special Summoned, back to the field following standard 'return to field' rules. (you can only return cards up to as many open Zones they are able to go into, if there are not enough to return all cards, select which ones, if any, that will return to the field, and the rest are sent to the graveyard with no starting location (not "from field/hand/deck/etc").

7. The materials returned to the field are each given a Fulfill Marker that can only be removed by the effect of another card or by the card leaving the field in any way.

8. Cards with Fulfill Markers cannot be used as Oath Material. (In place to prevent the same cards from being used again repeatedly/immediately without an additional cost required.)

I originally developed this mechanic to work with a Sonic the Hedgehog archetype as the method to produce Super Sonic and other characters in the serious that get temporary power-ups or forms, but also realized that it could be used for many different archetype applications, including, but not limited to, my other custom archetype based on the "Tales of" RPG series, as well as other custom sets like Dragonball/DBZ, Steven Universe (just a couple that came to mind), or any other unique builds that might require/prefer a mechanic to temporary beef up a monster. I also thought it might be a good idea to post this as a separate idea instead since it really is a separate thing I've created apart from my own archetypes and CaC threads.

If this sounds intriguing to you, or if anyone has any suggestions, comments, or critiques, please let me know! I would love some feedback on this idea from as many sources as I can get!
Last edited by KaitoPrower on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SACRIFICE
What if all the plans you made
Were not worth the price they paid?
Even with the lives you stole
Still no closer to your goal...

Autonomous
Mood:

Post #2 by Autonomous » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:00 pm

I think this is an interesting idea, I could see even current archtypes making use of this like Noble Knights with their Ignoble forms and Lavals with their Lavalval forms. I would however refrain from using Cyan. The shade of blue is used quite a bit, finding itself in Spell, RItual and now LInks. I think a color that would stand out more would be better like Red or even Gold. Either way I think this is a sweet idea, I remember seeing something similar to this somehwere in deviant art. I will look it up and send you a link so you can see it yourself.

Autonomous
Mood:

Post #3 by Autonomous » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Here we go it was unleash mode. I guess the concept was possess the appropriate monster and much like XyZ the material was kept under the card and used to activate its effects.

KaitoPrower

Post #4 by KaitoPrower » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Yeah, I can't say it's an original concept, just a similar idea flavored a different way, mainly that any card, including spells and traps, can be a Partner!
I had considered doing red for the color, but I felt it was too aggressive of a color for the aesthetic I was trying for, so I went with the cyan instead, but I've considered going with an emerald green, since we only have the pale green used in the Spell cards. (I had also decided on the cyan before Link's were announced, so there's that too...)

Eventually, I'll get my Sonic the Hedgehog archetype done to go with this, but for now, it's only partially completed and is going to require a bit more time to get the basics out.
SACRIFICE
What if all the plans you made
Were not worth the price they paid?
Even with the lives you stole
Still no closer to your goal...

Autonomous
Mood:

Post #5 by Autonomous » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:28 am

Emerald green = 10/10

Return to “Custom Cards”