Any advice on the archetype I made?

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Stealthinja
Mood:

Any advice on the archetype I made?

Post #1 by Stealthinja » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:33 pm

I made an archetype but I haven't made it public yet, I want to perfect the cards that are in it. Please send any criticisms you guys may have, but please make it constructive. I want to make a legitimately good and balanced archetype.

Link to the archetype: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=2786048

Weck

Post #2 by Weck » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Once per turn, (quick effect) you may target one monster with a lower level than this card, this monster gains attack equal to that monster's level times 200 until the end phase.

I think you might wanna change the text to "you may target one monster with a lower level than the monster equipped with this card"

When this card is face-up on the field "Psychic Mage" monsters you control cannot be targeted by opponents card effects.

that seems pretty broken. not gonna lie.

specially since this card also exists
When your opponent activates a spell/trap card, or monster effect that destroys a card(s), while you control a "Psychic Mage" monster: Negate the activation, and if you do destroy it.

I don't know why you would ever summon "Psychic Mage - Master of the Elephants"
it's just a downgrade of "Psychic Mage - Master of the Elements"
did you forget to add it's effect?

"Psychic Mage Naturus" effect is really good... I think it should be limited

"Psychic Mage Shadus" is straight up broken. destroy the backrow and activate it?

"Psychic Mage Dark Naturus" broken. discard a card and pay 1000 life?

"Psychic Mage Dark Shadus" isn't he just half of shadus? why would you ever use him over shadus?

I also think you should change the atk and def of either the regular or dark version of the extra deck cards
just to keep the pair motif you had going with the Pyrus and aquos, geomance and anemus etc.

Zain1
Mood:

Post #3 by Zain1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 pm

For the Field Spell, I would change it so that Monsters cannot be targeted/destroyed by card effects with the one specifically listed in its card text is face-up on the field with them. Dark Shadus, I like his effect, but you could add in parentheses "(if the level of the monster is odd, round the number down)". That's all the advice I'm able to give on my part. I hope this helps you out.

Stealthinja
Mood:

Post #4 by Stealthinja » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:40 am

Weck wrote:
I don't know why you would ever summon "Psychic Mage - Master of the Elephants"
it's just a downgrade of "Psychic Mage - Master of the Elements"
did you forget to add it's effect?

To be honest, Elephants is more of a joke card than a legitimate help to the archetype. It came to be since my friend kept jokingly calling master of the elements master of the elephants, so I made a card of the same name to make him not do that.

As for some of the other points you made, the field spell could be toned down a bit, but as for shield (which is just the six sams trap which no one has pointed out to me yet somehow,) since that negates any destruction it's meant to act as a slightly better version of the field spell, with the exception that it doesn't stay on the field of course.

I changed shadus's to include that you can only send cards from your hand or field because the old text was an oversight on my part. What it says now is how I originally intended it to be used, so including that should take away from any shenanigans that would have happened beforehand.

If Naturus was an actual card it would def be limited, especially since it's not a hard once per turn. I should probably change that so it's slightly not as broken. As for Dark Naturus, it is a massive downgrade from what it used to be. I've been working on this archetype since before dueling book had the custom card feature and beforehand it's effect made it so your opponent discarded ALL their cards and take 1000 for each. Had I not changed that that would have been nothing short of a one card OTK at best, or at it's worst only dealing 1000 points of damage. To be real though, with its old effect you would only use it when your opponent had at least three or more cards.

Like most ED monsters, D Shadus is meant to be a counterpart of Shadus. While Shadus got rid of your cards but still let you activate them, D Shadus got rid of the opponents, therefore shutting those down as options (if we assume the effect of D Shadus isn't negated by one of those face downs.)

Finally, I changed the ATK and DEF of the synchro's, as it only made sense to have the dark versions of the cards be the ones with the higher attack. That was a cool idea that I'm surprised I didn't think of when trying to figure out how to do the whole opposites thing.

Thank you for your help/input, I greatly appreciate it.

Stealthinja
Mood:

Post #5 by Stealthinja » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:46 am

Zain1 wrote:For the Field Spell, I would change it so that Monsters cannot be targeted/destroyed by card effects with the one specifically listed in its card text is face-up on the field with them. Dark Shadus, I like his effect, but you could add in parentheses "(if the level of the monster is odd, round the number down)". That's all the advice I'm able to give on my part. I hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the advice! For the field spell I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to say, but for both D Shadus and regular Shadus I added the text you suggested, I think I meant to put that down at one point but I must have forgotten. Thanks again for your help!

Zain1
Mood:

Post #6 by Zain1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Stealthinja wrote:
Zain1 wrote:For the Field Spell, I would change it so that Monsters cannot be targeted/destroyed by card effects with the one specifically listed in its card text is face-up on the field with them. Dark Shadus, I like his effect, but you could add in parentheses "(if the level of the monster is odd, round the number down)". That's all the advice I'm able to give on my part. I hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the advice! For the field spell I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to say, but for both D Shadus and regular Shadus I added the text you suggested, I think I meant to put that down at one point but I must have forgotten. Thanks again for your help!

For the Field Spell, I feel like the protection from effects seems to easy to access. Since the Main Deck monsters specifically list another monster in their Special Summon effects, I think it would be appropriate for the Field Spell to grant protection to the monster if both of them are on the Field, kinda like how Six Samurai need another one of a different Attribute to use their effect. Something among the lines of "When there are 2 or more "Psychic Mage" Monsters on the field, monsters who are specifically listed in that Monster's card text cannot be targeted by card effects, also cannot be destroyed by card effects." I hope this clarifies whatever you didn't understand.

Stealthinja
Mood:

Post #7 by Stealthinja » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Zain1 wrote:
Stealthinja wrote:

For the Field Spell, I feel like the protection from effects seems to easy to access. Since the Main Deck monsters specifically list another monster in their Special Summon effects, I think it would be appropriate for the Field Spell to grant protection to the monster if both of them are on the Field, kinda like how Six Samurai need another one of a different Attribute to use their effect. Something among the lines of "When there are 2 or more "Psychic Mage" Monsters on the field, monsters who are specifically listed in that Monster's card text cannot be targeted by card effects, also cannot be destroyed by card effects." I hope this clarifies whatever you didn't understand.

Oh, I get it now. Yeah I'll defiantly add that in!

Return to “Custom Cards”