Deck Spotlight: Thieves Guild

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Skyonator

Deck Spotlight: Thieves Guild

Post #1 by Skyonator » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:49 pm

https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=12227198

its a very early state. i may need to balance some things and some artworks arent final too. but thoughts would be nice ^^
Im a german custom cards creator.
I mostly create "oldschool" Decks settled in either the DM, GX or 5Ds era.

Dont judge me for my bad english :D

Skyonator

Post #2 by Skyonator » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:37 pm

oh and i forgot to mention that the Deck is settled in early GX^^

Christen57

Post #3 by Christen57 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:36 am

Feels refreshing to review an archetype that belongs to someone other than UberTrainer at least every once in a while. It gets overwhelming reviewing 10+ different archetypes in a single month all made by him.

When it comes to archetypes that revolve heavily around attacking and inflicting battle damage, it's perfectly fine to allow those effects, that trigger off of battle damage, to be much stronger than usual or than your standard "When this card is summoned" and "once per turn" effects since archetypes that focus heavily on battling will have the weakness of being extremely weak going first since you can't do battle on your first turn. One of the reasons War Rock flopped was 'cause their effects didn't reward you enough for going through the trouble of battling. You don't wanna make the same mistake with this archetype.

Balb, Guard of the thieves guild's effect should be buffed from:
This card can attack your opponent directly. If this card attacks, switch it to defense at the end of the Battle Phase. If this card inflicts battle damage, you can look at the top card of your opponents deck and decide if it goes back to top or bottom of the deck.
to:
Can attack directly while you control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck. If this card attacks, change it to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. If your opponent takes battle damage: Look at your opponent's Deck and place 1 card from it on top of it. You must control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck to activate and resolve this effect.

There's no longer a need to begin any effect with "this card can attack your opponent directly". We now instead just say "Can attack directly" which is shorter. You also need to specify that the monster gets changed to "Defense Position" and not just "defense".

I recommend making these changes to the rest of your archetype's monsters to make their wording similar to my above suggestion and improve their readability.

Cracker, Trapper of the thieves guild
Can attack directly while you control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck. If this card attacks, change it to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. If your opponent takes battle damage: Banish all Spells/Traps from their field and GY. You must control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck to activate and resolve this effect.

Graila, Tactician of the thieves guild
Can attack directly while you control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck. If this card attacks, change it to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. If your opponent takes battle damage: Roll a six-sided die, then you can add that many Warrior and/or Union monsters from your Deck and/or GY to your hand. You must control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck to activate and resolve this effect.

Keith, Pickpocket of the thieves guild
Can attack directly while you control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck. If this card attacks, change it to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. If your opponent takes battle damage, toss a coin:
● Heads: Destroy all cards they control.
● Tails: Discard their hand.

Pia, Sharpshooter of the thieves guild
Can attack directly while you control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck. If this card attacks, change it to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. If your opponent takes battle damage: Change the ATK/DEF of all monsters they currently control to 0, also look at their hand and banish 1 card from it. You must control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck to activate and resolve this effect.

Shima, Ghost of the thieves guild
Can attack directly while you control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck. If this card attacks, change it to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. If your opponent takes battle damage: Roll a six-sided die, then target 1 monster on the field; its ATK becomes the result x 2000. You must control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck to activate and resolve this effect. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Warrior or Union monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card can make up to 3 attacks during each Battle Phase, also if that monster would be destroyed by battle or effect, destroy this card instead.

Tremor, Fence of the thieves guild
Can attack directly while you control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck. If this card attacks, change it to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. If your opponent takes battle damage: Double your LP. You must control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck to activate and resolve this effect.

Varas, Leader of the thieves guild
If you have 4 or more "Thieves Guild" cards in your GY, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. If you control 4 or more cards including a "Thieves Guild" card, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand or GY) in Attack Position. You can only Special Summon "Varas, Leader of the thieves guild" once per turn this way. Your opponent cannot activate Spell/Trap Cards during, or monster effects during, your turn while you control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck.

Thieves Guild Hideout
While you control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck, Warrior monsters you control gain 1000 ATK, also Union monsters you control gain 1000 ATK. You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, and if you do, add to your hand or Special Summon to either field in Attack Position 1 excavated "Thieves Guild" monster, and if you do that, add 1 of the other 2 excavated cards to your hand, also place the rest on on the bottom of the Deck in any order, and if you do, you can place any number of cards from your GY on the bottom of the Deck in any order. You must control no Set cards and have no cards in your Extra Deck to activate and resolve this effect. You can only use this effect of "Thieves Guild Hideout" once per turn.

Skyonator

Post #4 by Skyonator » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:09 pm

Hey Christen57, as always its a pleasure to be reviewed by you^^ however i have to ask for what time you thought these buffs were for cause the original era i created this archetype was GX (better: early GX around crystal beasts release. if you can shorten that for me i would be thankfull^^) and for that i think your suggestions are a bit overpowered, I mean...for example Keith, Pickpocket of the thieves guild can either nuke the monster zone or discard your entire hand...every turn. Im an oldschool player who didnt went further than 5Ds aka Synchros so i dont know if these changes would be playable in modern YGO.

would be cool to hear from you^^

Christen57

Post #5 by Christen57 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:34 am

Skyonator wrote:Hey Christen57, as always its a pleasure to be reviewed by you^^ however i have to ask for what time you thought these buffs were for cause the original era i created this archetype was GX (better: early GX around crystal beasts release. if you can shorten that for me i would be thankfull^^) and for that i think your suggestions are a bit overpowered, I mean...for example Keith, Pickpocket of the thieves guild can either nuke the monster zone or discard your entire hand...every turn. Im an oldschool player who didnt went further than 5Ds aka Synchros so i dont know if these changes would be playable in modern YGO.

would be cool to hear from you^^

The "GX era" began in late 2005 and ended in early 2008. The best decks at the time were Monarchs, Gladiator Beasts, full power TeleDAD, and Machina/Gadget. If your archetype was intended to be played against these specific decks, it should be strong enough to hold its own against them.

An archetype that relies heavily on dealing battle damage and can barely do anything outside the battle phase is going to be extremely slow, so to compensate for this, the effects that reward you for dealing such damage need to be strong enough for the archetype to be viable, especially when, back then, attack-stoppers like the Mirror Force trap cards, Magic Cylinder, Dimensional Prison, and Sakuretsu Armor were all widely played.

I've been making and reviewing customs, and perfecting my PSCT-skills, for years now. I know what I'm doing here. This archetype was clearly intended to be an archetype that sacrifices large amounts of speed for large amounts of power, so my suggestions were to make it really slow and highly vulnerable to disruptions, but in return able to devastate the opponent with every attack that results in battle damage. Simple.

I'm certain these changes would be playable in modern Yugioh as well, but I'd have to get the chance to test them out first to be certain.

Skyonator

Post #6 by Skyonator » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:05 am

thank you very much for the clearification <3
I returned to Yugioh not long ago so im a bit rusty what the powerlevels of the era mean. to be honest i mostly reference to the game YGO Tag Force 2 and 3 for balancing but yeah your right that this is not the best thing i could do^^

and just to be clear that wasnt an attack at all. I just wondered if you saw that its in the GX era cause i thought these changes were very powerfull^^ so...thx again :)

Christen57

Post #7 by Christen57 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:29 pm

Skyonator wrote:thank you very much for the clearification <3
I returned to Yugioh not long ago so im a bit rusty what the powerlevels of the era mean. to be honest i mostly reference to the game YGO Tag Force 2 and 3 for balancing but yeah your right that this is not the best thing i could do^^

and just to be clear that wasnt an attack at all. I just wondered if you saw that its in the GX era cause i thought these changes were very powerfull^^ so...thx again :)

I noticed you implemented just some of my suggestions at not all but I can't clearly see which changes you implemented. Could you clarify which cards you modified to fit my suggestions, and which cards you chose not to modify?

Skyonator

Post #8 by Skyonator » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:44 am

i actually decided to make 2 decks. 1 "weaker" with adjustments but overall keeping my cards as they were ,which is the link at the start and another, not yet fully finished, deck with your adjustments :) https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=12256059

the cards i adjusted were:

Balb, Guard of the thieves guild
Can attack your opponent directly. If this card attacks, switch it to defense position at the end of the Battle Phase. If this card inflicts battle damage: You can look at your opponent's Deck and place 1 card from it on top of it.

At this point..can i ask you how you color the text in your posts? i have rly no idea how i could do that ^^
To the card: i liked your idea of simplyfing the eff so i implemented it without changing the whole card

Can attack your opponent directly. If this card inflicts battle damage, you can special summon 1 "Thieves Guild" monster with level 3 from your deck.

I thought thats a small but significant powerup cause you can immediatly attack with the new monster.

This card can attack your opponent directly. If this card attacks your opponent dircetly, you can change its ATK to 0 during Damage Step only and if you do activate 1 of these effects:
● Banish 1 card from your opponents hand
● Banish 1 card from your opponents side of the field

I just made her more versatile so she isnt "useless" if the opponent got no cards in his/her hand

Thieves Guild Hideout
All "Thieves Guild" monsters gain 300 ATK and DEF. Up to 3 times per turn, if a "Thieves Guild" monster inflicts battle damage, you can activate 1 of the following effects:
● Your opponent discards 1 card
● You can send 1 card from your opponent´s side of the field to the GY
● You can banish the 2 top cards of your opponent´s deck

Cause of testing results i changed the "your opponent chooses one of these effects" so that you can choose which effect you want to activate because if not the opponent would always banish the top 2 cards

You can normal summon this card without tribute if you have at least 4 "Thieves Guild" monster with different names on the field or in the GY. You can special summon this card from your GY if you control 4 cards including at least 2 "Thieves Guild" monsters with different names. This card can only attack monsters in defense position. As long as this card is on the field, your opponent cant target other "Thieves Guild" monsters for attacks also other "Thieves Guild" monster are unaffected by card effects.

I added your ss from gy effect and increased his shielding potential with giving him also the "other "Thieves Guild" monsters are unaffected by card effects" bonus without preventing the opponent from activating them at all. Also, due to his high stats and easy summoning conditions, i didnt want him to become an attacker so he kept the "only attack def pos" trait.

I think that were all changes so far.

As much as i can understand the changes you suggested but other duelists wouldnt agree with such a powerfull deck in customs which is sad but understandable (also sadly^^). Thats the reason why i made 2 Decks. 1 powerfull and 1 that i actually can play with without the opponent quitting after reading the first card effect(and insulting me before they leave. its customs after all :lol: )

Christen57

Post #9 by Christen57 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:10 pm

Skyonator wrote:i actually decided to make 2 decks. 1 "weaker" with adjustments but overall keeping my cards as they were ,which is the link at the start and another, not yet fully finished, deck with your adjustments :) https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=12256059

the cards i adjusted were:

Balb, Guard of the thieves guild
Can attack your opponent directly. If this card attacks, switch it to defense position at the end of the Battle Phase. If this card inflicts battle damage: You can look at your opponent's Deck and place 1 card from it on top of it.

At this point..can i ask you how you color the text in your posts? i have rly no idea how i could do that ^^
To the card: i liked your idea of simplyfing the eff so i implemented it without changing the whole card

Can attack your opponent directly. If this card inflicts battle damage, you can special summon 1 "Thieves Guild" monster with level 3 from your deck.

I thought thats a small but significant powerup cause you can immediatly attack with the new monster.

This card can attack your opponent directly. If this card attacks your opponent dircetly, you can change its ATK to 0 during Damage Step only and if you do activate 1 of these effects:
● Banish 1 card from your opponents hand
● Banish 1 card from your opponents side of the field

I just made her more versatile so she isnt "useless" if the opponent got no cards in his/her hand

Thieves Guild Hideout
All "Thieves Guild" monsters gain 300 ATK and DEF. Up to 3 times per turn, if a "Thieves Guild" monster inflicts battle damage, you can activate 1 of the following effects:
● Your opponent discards 1 card
● You can send 1 card from your opponent´s side of the field to the GY
● You can banish the 2 top cards of your opponent´s deck

Cause of testing results i changed the "your opponent chooses one of these effects" so that you can choose which effect you want to activate because if not the opponent would always banish the top 2 cards

You can normal summon this card without tribute if you have at least 4 "Thieves Guild" monster with different names on the field or in the GY. You can special summon this card from your GY if you control 4 cards including at least 2 "Thieves Guild" monsters with different names. This card can only attack monsters in defense position. As long as this card is on the field, your opponent cant target other "Thieves Guild" monsters for attacks also other "Thieves Guild" monster are unaffected by card effects.

I added your ss from gy effect and increased his shielding potential with giving him also the "other "Thieves Guild" monsters are unaffected by card effects" bonus without preventing the opponent from activating them at all. Also, due to his high stats and easy summoning conditions, i didnt want him to become an attacker so he kept the "only attack def pos" trait.

I think that were all changes so far.

As much as i can understand the changes you suggested but other duelists wouldnt agree with such a powerfull deck in customs which is sad but understandable (also sadly^^). Thats the reason why i made 2 Decks. 1 powerfull and 1 that i actually can play with without the opponent quitting after reading the first card effect(and insulting me before they leave. its customs after all :lol: )

Could you set your customs to public so I can search for them?

Also, to color your text, you click Font colour, click the color you want to put your text in, and put your text in it.

Skyonator

Post #10 by Skyonator » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:14 am

Thx ^^
yep sry i normaly set them to public right after creation. I must have forgotten it this time^^

Christen57

Post #11 by Christen57 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:55 pm

Skyonator wrote:Thx ^^
yep sry i normaly set them to public right after creation. I must have forgotten it this time^^

Tremor, Fence of the thieves guild's effect could use an additional buff, this time from:
If your opponent takes battle damage: Double your LP.
to:
If your opponent takes battle damage: Double your LP, also you can place 1 card from the GY on top of the Deck.

Pia, Sharpshooter of the thieves guild's could also use an additional buff, this time from:
If your opponent takes battle damage: Change the ATK/DEF of all monsters they currently control to 0, also look at their hand and banish 1 card from it.
to:
If your opponent takes battle damage: Change the ATK/DEF of all monsters they currently control to 0, also look at their hand and banish 1 card from it, and if you do, you can shuffle any number of cards from your field and/or GY into the Deck.

My predictions about my suggestions were correct. I tested the buffed versions and they were nowhere near broken. Their extremely powerful effects that trigger off of the opponent taking battle damage were balanced out by the archetype's heavy reliance on its normal summon, on battling, and on unsearchable board-breakers like Lightning Storm to help clear opponents' backrow and stuff to keep them from using an interruption on attacks and normal summons.

Skyonator

Post #12 by Skyonator » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:42 pm

Yeah i too think that the buffed version is pretty balanced against actual GX Decks but as i said before the DB custom cards community or better the ones joining my duels arent the brightest^^ My last opponent ragequitted after my first direct attack and said in pm "Its unfair. all can direct attack and got free effects" XD And thats the thing why i downgrade my cards that hard^^

i will make the changes happen in a few days :)

Christen57

Post #13 by Christen57 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:03 pm

Skyonator wrote:Yeah i too think that the buffed version is pretty balanced against actual GX Decks but as i said before the DB custom cards community or better the ones joining my duels arent the brightest^^ My last opponent ragequitted after my first direct attack and said in pm "Its unfair. all can direct attack and got free effects" XD And thats the thing why i downgrade my cards that hard^^

i will make the changes happen in a few days :)

Would you mind showing the replay where this ragequit happened?

Skyonator

Post #14 by Skyonator » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:43 am

Christen57

Post #15 by Christen57 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:17 pm

Skyonator wrote:https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=508342-45896175

Thats the replay. Have fun :D

Wow...

• Plays a HERO deck without an extra deck
  • Begins the game with 20,000 LP for some reason instead of 8,000 like most regular people
  • Plays a bunch of utterly garbage cards like Alexandrite Dragon, Destiny HERO Defender, Evil HERO Malicious Edge, and United We Stand; again with 0 extra deck
  • Links you to a 40+ page document at the start of the duel expecting you to read it all before beginning the game
  • Wastes a perfectly good Change of Heart on one of your monsters and just gives said monster back to you at the end of his turn without attacking with it, using its effect, or tributing it or anything
  • Has no answer to Gravity Bind — a floodgate that any competitive GX/5ds/Zexal/Arc-V deck should be able to handle

What a sore loser. He had no right calling your cards "unfair," especially when you were using the weaker versions and not the buffed versions.

Skyonator

Post #16 by Skyonator » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:45 am

https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=508342-46039588

one more cause its funny as hell XD
but yeah you understand now why i make these cards "underpowered"

Return to “Custom Cards”