Deck Spotlight: Letterland

Post your custom made cards in this forum
UberTrainerMinusInfinity

Deck Spotlight: Letterland

Post #1 by UberTrainerMinusInfinity » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:55 am

Letterland
https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=11539933
Year of Origin: 1968, but this deck uses their designs from 2004.
Is it real?: Yes!
Ace Monster: Letterland Alphabet (Even though it's a Trap card!)
The Main Races: Beast, Plant, Warrior, Aqua, Machine, Thunder
The Main Attributes: DIVINE
Extra Monsters: None
Attack: 4/5
Defence: 1/5
Strategy: 5/5
Intellect: 5/5
Luck: 3/5
THE STORY:
Look inside the book and you will see strange marks all over the page. They are letters. Together, they make words. Words than can hold stories and all sorts of wonders. What do they mean? Where did they come from? Come into Letterland, where all the letters from your stories come from!
STRATEGY:
Teach your opponents their ABCs! Send Letterlanders from your deck to your GY to power up your Letterlanders, then use the Letterland Field Spell to boost their ATK to astromical levels!
Every Letterlander has these abilities: When they're summoned, they send a Letterlander from your deck to the GY. They can tribute themselves to negate and destroy any card that starts with their letter, controlling the flow of battle against your favor!
Additionaly, when a Letterlander is destroyed or tributed, you can shuffle 2 Letterlanders from your hand/field/GY into your deck to bring out the next letter in the alphabet. (For example, Letterlander Annie Apple, who represents A, can bring out Letterlander Bouncy Ben, who represents B)
Although there are only two Spell/Trap cards, they are both deadly ones! Letterland boosts your Letterlander's ATK even more, and can serve as an emergency search, while Letterland Alphabet protects your Letterlanders from being banished, saves them from targeted effects, and can bring out a Letterlander from your hand or send one from your deck to the GY!
In addition, if you can complete the alphabet by getting all 26 Letterlanders in your field or GY by the end of a turn in which you controlled Letterland Alphabet, you instantly win!
KILLER COMBOS:
Needlebug Nest mills the top 5 cards of your deck, which can be up to a 500 ATK boost for your Letterlanders, or 1000 if Letterland is out! Use it during battle for maximum effect.
Since all the Letterlanders are level 3, Gravity Bind can be used with no ill effects on your side!
Some of the Letterlanders have some good powers: Letterlander Annie Apple can bring out a Letterlander at the cost of a card in your hand, Letterlander Munching Mike can send a Letterlander from your deck to the GY, Letterlander Oscar Orange can search out Letterland Alphabet, Letterlander Quarrelsome Queen restricts your opponent to 1 Trap card per turn, Letterlander Uppy Umbrella protects your Letterlanders from enemy monster effects and Letterlander Zig Zag Zebra provides an ATK boost and sends Letterlanders from the deck to the GY whenever a Letterlander inflicts battle damage.

Christen57

Post #2 by Christen57 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:36 pm

Since each monster in your archetype has 3-4 different hard once per turn effects, I strongly recommend putting each of those effects in separate lines separated by bullet points.

So for example, instead of Letterlander Annie Apple's effect being:

When this is summoned: you may send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your deck to the GY. Cannot be used as material. Gains 100 ATK for each ''Letterlander'' monster in your GY. Once per turn, you can discard 1 card: Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your hand. Once per turn; (Quick Effect) You can tribute this card, then target 1 card on the field those name begins with an A: negate it's effects, then destroy it. Cards cannot be activated in response to this. When this is destroyed or tributed, you can shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' cards from your hand/field/GY: Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander Bouncy Ben'' from your hand/deck/GY. You can only activate each effect of this card once per turn.

it would be more readable and easier on the eyes when worded as:

Cannot be used as Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Material. Gains 100 ATK for each "Letterlander" monster in your GY. You can only use each of these effects of "Letterlander Annie Apple" once per turn.
● When this card is Summoned: You can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your Deck to the GY.
● You can discard 1 card: Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your hand.
● (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card, then target 1 "A" card on the field, also cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect activation; negate its effects, then destroy it.
● When this is destroyed or Tributed: You can shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' cards from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck: Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander Bouncy Ben'' from your hand, Deck, or GY.

That goes for the rest of the rest of the monsters in your archetype since they're all worded similarly.

Also, a few more things...
  • The words Summoned, Deck, Tribute, and Tributed are always capitalized in effects.
  • You say "Once per turn (Quick Effect):" not "Once per turn; (Quick Effect)".
  • In yugioh customs, it's "You can" not "You may". This isn't magic the gathering.
  • It's not "hand/Deck/GY". It's either "hand, Deck, or GY" or "hand, Deck, and/or GY" depending on whether you're summoning out 1 monster or multiple.
  • The word it's with the apostrophe is an abbreviation for it is, so you don't say "negate it's effects". You say "negate its effects" which is the correct way to use that word in this context. You don't include the apostrophe in "its" when using it as a possessive adjective.

The field spell's current effect seems complicated for no reason. I kinda get the intended gimmick of the archetype, but I would still shorten this spell's effect from:
All DIVINE monsters gain 100 ATK for each monster in it's controller's GY. Once per turn, if the turn player controls no monsters, they may target 1 card their opponent controls: they add 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from their deck to their hand that meets the below condition:
●The first letter of the second word in their name matches the first letter of the targeted card's name.

to:
Each "Letterlander" monster on the field gains 100 ATK for each monster in its controller's GY. Once per turn, if the turn player controls no monsters: They can add 1 "Letterlander" monster from their Deck or GY to their hand.

I'm also not sure why the monsters can't be LIGHT instead of DIVINE, when DIVINE was intended for monsters with the Divine-Beast type, and for that 1 Creator God monster.

The effect of the archetype's trap can be shortened from:
''Letterland'' monsters cannot be banished, also, once per turn, if they would be targeted by an opponent's card effect: negate that effect. Once per turn, you can either: send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your deck to the GY, or Special Summon 1 ''Letterland'' monster from your hand, but if you do, you can only attack with DIVINE monsters this turn. At the end of your turn, if your field/GY contains 26 ''Letterlander'' monsters with different names: you win the duel.
to:
''Letterland'' cards on the field or GY cannot be banished. Once per turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets a "Letterlander" monster on your field or GY: You can negate the activation. Once per turn: You can send 1 ''Letterland'' card from your Deck to the GY or Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your hand. If the total number of "Letterlander" monsters on your field and GY equals or exceeds 26, you win the Duel.

"Duel" is also always capitalized in effects, and I really don't think requiring the 26 Letterlander monsters to specifically have different names from each other just to fulfill this card's alternate win condition is necessary, since having to get 26 cards of a specific archetype into your graveyard is already demanding enough without them having to have different names, even for a "you win the Duel" effect, especially when the archetype doesn't seem capable of filling the grave with monsters quickly or easily.

UberTrainerMinusInfinity

Post #3 by UberTrainerMinusInfinity » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:57 am

I'd never thought anyone would review a deck based off a program used to teach pre-schoolers letter sounds....what has to be changed to make this deck's power be in par with other meta decks? I designed their original concepts to be decentralizers, to deal with some of the most prominent threats. Should there be any changes to make them fit this role?

Christen57

Post #4 by Christen57 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:09 pm

UberTrainerMinusInfinity wrote:I'd never thought anyone would review a deck based off a program used to teach pre-schoolers letter sounds....what has to be changed to make this deck's power be in par with other meta decks? I designed their original concepts to be decentralizers, to deal with some of the most prominent threats. Should there be any changes to make them fit this role?

For now, just make the changes I suggested, and do the same for the rest of your archetype's cards by formatting them so the hard once per turn effects are separated into bullet points with the other effects at the top, like how I showed you.

james123
Mood:

Post #5 by james123 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:05 pm

Christen57 wrote:
UberTrainerMinusInfinity wrote:I'd never thought anyone would review a deck based off a program used to teach pre-schoolers letter sounds....what has to be changed to make this deck's power be in par with other meta decks? I designed their original concepts to be decentralizers, to deal with some of the most prominent threats. Should there be any changes to make them fit this role?

For now, just make the changes I suggested, and do the same for the rest of your archetype's cards by formatting them so the hard once per turn effects are separated into bullet points with the other effects at the top, like how I showed you.

I think he's probably ignoring you

UberTrainerMinusInfinity

Post #6 by UberTrainerMinusInfinity » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:19 pm

Christen57's changes are now live on Dueling Book! More notably, the Letterlanders are now EARTH monsters instead of DIVINE monsters!

UberTrainerMinusInfinity

Post #7 by UberTrainerMinusInfinity » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:23 pm

BTW: Check out the other deck spotlights to see how they could be changed to fit the modern rulebooks!

Christen57

Post #8 by Christen57 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:24 am

UberTrainerMinusInfinity wrote:Christen57's changes are now live on Dueling Book! More notably, the Letterlanders are now EARTH monsters instead of DIVINE monsters!

Much better. Now we can focus on a few more specific changes for each of the main deck monsters.

Letterlander Annie Apple's second activated effect should have a semi-colon instead of a colon, so instead of:
You can discard 1 card:
it should be:
You can discard 1 card;

This was actually a mistake on my part, since I forgot to tell you to make this change earlier when I should've. Costs are represented by semi-colons which are these ;

The same thing goes for the effect all your monsters share that begins with:
You can shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' cards from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck;

as that last character should also be a semi-colon, not a colon. I missed that as well in my previous comment reviewing your archetype, so you'll have to fix that as well for each of your monsters that share that effect.

Letterlander Bouncy Ben's effect shouldn't automatically redirect spells back into the deck, as that'll lead to loops with draw spells and whatnot. Plus, making it a part of the activated effects is confusing since it was clearly meant to be continuous and not actiavted, so I recommend changing the monster's effect from:
Cannot be used as Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Material. Gains 100 ATK for each "Letterlander" monster in your GY. You can only use each of these effects of "Letterlander Bouncy Ben" once per turn.
● When this card is Summoned: You can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your Deck to the GY.
● If a Spell card would be sent to the GY, shuffle it into it's owner's deck instead.
● (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card, then target 1 "B" card on the field, also cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect activation; negate its effects, then destroy it.
● When this is destroyed or Tributed: You can shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' cards from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck: Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander Clever Cat'' from your hand, Deck, or GY.

to:
Cannot be used as Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Material. Gains 100 ATK for each "Letterlander" monster in your GY. You can only use each of these effects of "Letterlander Bouncy Ben" once per turn.
● (Quick Effect): You can target up to 3 Spells in any GY(s); shuffle them into the Deck.
● (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card, then target 1 "B" card on the field, also cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect activation; negate its effects, then destroy it.
● When this is destroyed or Tributed: You can shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' cards from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck; Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander Clever Cat'' from your hand, Deck, or GY.

Wording it this way is better, since with the way it's currently worded, it would create a lot of confusion, as players could also send spells from the hand, deck, or face-down field to the graveyard, and I'm not sure if they'd have to reveal those cards before putting them back in the deck.

Letterlander Clever Cat's text wasn't fixed properly. It shouldn't be:
Cannot be used as Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Material. Gains 100 ATK for each "Letterlander" monster in your GY. You can only use each of these effects of "Letterlander Clever Cat" once per turn.
● When a monster is tributed, you can target 1 ''Letterlander'' monster you control; (Quick Effect) This turn, it cannot be destroyed by card effects.
● (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card, then target 1 "C" card on the field, also cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect activation; negate its effects, then destroy it.
● When this is destroyed or Tributed: You can shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' cards from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck: Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander Dippy Duck” from your hand, Deck, or GY.

it should be:
Cannot be used as Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Material. Gains 100 ATK for each "Letterlander" monster in your GY. You can only use each of these effects of "Letterlander Clever Cat" once per turn.
● When a monster is Tributed: You can target 1 ''Letterlander'' monster you control; this turn, it cannot be destroyed by effects.
● (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card, then target 1 "C" card on the field, also cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect activation; negate its effects, then destroy it.
● When this is destroyed or Tributed: You can shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' cards from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck; Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander Dippy Duck” from your hand, Deck, or GY.

Remember that Tributed is always capitalized. Also, that "when a monster is Tributed" effect shouldn't say Quick Effect since it's a trigger effect, not a quick effect. Also, remember, for the last effect, shuffling the 2 Letterlander cards into the deck is the cost, not another condition, so that last colon should've instead been a semi-colon. This goes for the rest of your archetype's monsters worded similarly.

Letterlander Dippy Duck's excavating effect can be shortened from:
You can excavate the top card of your opponent's deck, then place it back on either the top or bottom of the deck.
to:
You can reveal the top card of your opponent's Deck, then place it on the top or bottom of the Deck.

No need for this to be an excavating effect since you're only picking up 1 card. Also, remember to always capitalize Deck. Also, there's no need for that "either".

Letterlander Eddy Elephant's protection effect can be shortened from:
The summons of your “Letterlander” monsters cannot be negated.
to:
“Letterlander” monsters' Summons cannot be negated.

Remember that Summons is always capitalized (along with the participles and past tenses of the word Summon such as Summoning, Summoned, etc).

Letterlander FIreman Fred's banishing effect needs to have a semi-colon due to the targeting being done before any player gets the chance to respond, so instead of:
You can target 1 FIRE monster on the field: banish it.
it's:
You can target 1 FIRE monster on the field; banish it.

Letterlander Golden Girl's anti-discard effect needs to be changed from:
During your opponent’s turn, “Letterlander” monsters cannot be discarded.
to:
Cards cannot be discarded during your opponent's turn except the End Phase.

An effect that tries to protect a specific archetype of cards from discards isn't going to function properly since the hand is private knowledge, meaning any effect that causes a random discard, such as the Danger! monsters' effects, will conflict with this card's current effect. The effect needs to protect either all cards from discards or no cards at all.

Recommend shortening Letterlander Harry Hat Man's effect from:
If a player activates their 5th Spell card in a turn: it becomes the end phase of this turn.
to just:
Each player can only activate 1 Spell Card each turn.

Also, the "card" in Spell Card is always capitalized. The same thing goes for "Trap Card" and "Spell/Trap Card".

Also, his name might look better if it were shortened to Letterlander Hatter Harry or something, just to maintain the archetype's pattern of its main deck monsters' names each having exactly 3 words.

Letterlander Impy Ink's effect to protect itself from attacks has 2 periods instead of just 1.
Also, where it says:
then target 1 "I" card on the field

I actually think you should make that i lowercase instead of uppercase, as it's currently indistinguishable from a lowercase L.

Letterlander Jumping Jim's effect that says:
If your GY has 20 or more ''Letterlander'' monsters, this can attack directly.
actually uses apostrophes instead of quotation marks.
This is an apostrophe '
and this is a quotation mark "

And I recommend shortening the effect to just:
Can attack directly while you have 10 or more monsters in your GY.

Letterlander Kicking King's effect needs to be changed from:
The effects of all level 10 or higher monsters on the field are negated.
to something like:
Negate the effects of all Level 10 or higher monsters your opponent controls.

Otherwise, if some effect changes this monster's own level from 3 to 10, it may cause some sort of infinite loop where it repeatedly negates its own effect or something.

Also, you always capitalize Level. That goes for Rank and Link Rating as well.

Letterlander Lucy Lamp Lady's first activated effect can be shortened from:
When this is summoned: switch all face-down Defence Position monsters on the field to Attack Position. (Flip Effects are not activated) Then, for each card flipped up this way, all ''Letterlander'' monsters you control gain 100 ATK., Then, you can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your Deck to the GY.
to:
When this is Summoned: Change all Set monsters to Attack Position (Flip Effects are not activated), also after that, all ''Letterlander'' monsters you currently control gain 100 ATK for each card changed this way, also you can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your Deck to the GY.

Since "Set monsters" always mean "face-down Defense Position monsters on the field," simply saying "Set monsters" uses way less characters.

Also, maybe consider shortening her name to just Letterlander Lucky Lady in order to maintain the archetype's pattern of its main deck monsters each having just 3 words in their names.

Letterlander Noisy Nick's draw effect can be shortened from:
When you shuffle a ''Letterlander'' monster into your deck: you may draw 1 card.
to:
If a card returns from your hand, field, or GY into the Deck: Draw 1 card.

I see no need for this effect to only trigger when its own archetype of card gets shuffled back instead of just any card.

Letterlander Oscar Orange's setting effect should be changed from:
When this card is Summoned: You can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your Deck to the GY: Set 1 ''Letterland'' Spell/Trap card from your hand/deck/GY, also you can activate it this turn.
to:
When this card is Summoned: You can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your Deck to the GY; Set 1 ''Letterland'' Spell/Trap from your Deck or GY, and if it is a Trap, it can be activated this turn.

No need to make this effect set from the hand when you can already do that by default if the spell/trap in question is in it. Also, it needs to specify that the set card "can be activated this turn" when it's some kind of trap card, some kind of quick-play spell, or both.

Letterlander Peter Puppy's second activated effect can be shortened from:
When a ''Letterlander'' monster is attacked; (Quick Effect) You can pay 1000 LP and shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' monsters from your GY into your deck: Double that monster's ATK until the end of this turn.
to:
If a ''Letterlander'' monster is targeted for an attack: You can pay shuffle 2 "Letterlander" monsters from your GY into the Deck and pay 1000 LP; double its ATK until the end of this turn.

Letterlander Quarrelsome Queen's effect can be changed to reflect Harry's, so:
Your opponent can only activate 1 Trap card per turn.
becomes:
Each player can only activate 1 Trap Card per turn.

Letterlander Red Robot's stealing effect seems to put too many restrictions on the monster it steals. Recommend shortening that effect from:
You can shuffle 3 ''Letterlander'' monsters from your hand/field/GY into your deck, then target 1 monster your opponent controls: take control of it while this card is on the field, but it cannot attack, be tributed, or be used as Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link material, also it's effects are negated.
to:
You can shuffle 3 ''Letterlander'' monsters from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; take control of it, but while you control it this way, it cannot attack, be Tributed, or be used as Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Material.

Letterlander Sammy Snake's effect can be shortened from:
(Quick Effect): You can shuffle 3 ''Letterlander'' monsters from your hand/field/GY into your deck, then target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field: shuffle it into it's owner's deck.
to:
(Quick Effect): You can shuffle 3 ''Letterlander'' monsters from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck, then target 1 Spell/Trap on the field; shuffle it into the Deck.

When making effects shuffle cards back into the deck, there's no need to say "your Deck" or "its owner's Deck". Effects that put stuff back in decks will always, by default, put each back into its owner's own deck unless stated otherwise (like in the case of Parasite Paracide).

The same thing goes for Letterlander Talking Tess.

Letterlander Vicki Violet's needs to be changed from:
At the start of each Phase, switch all monsters you control to Attack Position.
to:
At the start of each phase, change all monsters you control to Attack Position.

When referring to phases in effects, if you're only saying "phase" without specifying a type of phase such as the Draw, Standby, Main, Battle, or End Phase, then "phase" will not be capitalized, but when specifying specifically Draw Phase, Standby Phase, Main Phase, Main Phase 1, Battle Phase, Main Phase 2, or End Phase, then "Phase" in those cases will be capitalized.

Also, since you've got an activated effect listed before the bulleted effects of this monster, you need to replace:
You can only use each of these effects of
with:
You can only use each of the following effects of

otherwise, players will think the effect to keep monsters in attack position every phase is also hard once per turn when its not.

The same thing goes for Letterlander Walter Walrus. You don't want players thinking that monster's effect to deal piercing damage is hard once per turn, so his text should also say "each of the following effects of" instead of "each of these effects of".
Also "Defense" must be spelled with an S, not a C, so it's "Defense Position," not "Defence Position". Also, "Defense Position" and "Attack Position" are always capitalized, while "battle position" is not capitalized unless you're starting a sentence with it.

Letterlander Xenon Fix-It Max's problem-solving card text is incorrect. Its first activated effect needs to be changed from:
When this card is Summoned: You can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your Deck to the GY. Then, you can shuffle 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your hand/field/GY into your deck, then target 1 ''Letterlander'' monster in your GY/banished cards: either Special Summon it, or return it to your hand.
to:
When this card is Summoned: You can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your Deck to the GY, then shuffle 1 "Letterlander" monster (except the sent monster) from your hand, field, or GY into the Deck and target 1 of your "Letterlander" monsters that is banished or in your GY; add it to your hand or Special Summon it.

This would be the proper way to word an effect that targets a monster among either your banished cards or graveyard, not "in your GY/banished cards". There's also no need for "either" in this monster's effect.

Also, to maintain the archetype's theme of the main deck monsters having exactly 3 words in each of their names, you could consider changing this monster's name to Letterlander Xenial Xochitl or something.

Letterlander Yellow Yo-Yo Man's multi-attack effect is worded wrong. It should be simplified from:
You can activate this effect: for the rest of this turn, this card's ATK becomes 0, also it can attack an additional time for each ''Letterlander'' monster in your GY.
to:
You can activate this effect; until the end of this turn, this card's original ATK becomes 0, but during each Battle Phase, it gains 1 additional attack for each ''Letterlander'' monster currently in your GY.

When making an effect say "You can activate this effect" followed by the exact effect to be applied/resolved, you use a semi-colon for that as well, not a colon.

Also, to maintain the archetype's theme of the main deck monsters having exactly 3 words in each of their names, you could consider changing this monster's name to Letterlander Yo-Yo Yousef or something.

Letterlander Zig Zag Zebra's effect needs to be simplified from:
When a ''Letterlander'' monter inflicts battle damage: all ''Letterlander'' monsters you control gain 100 ATK/DEF for each monster in your GY, also for each ''Letterlander'' monster you control, you can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your deck to the GY.
to:
If a ''Letterlander'' monster inflicts battle damage to a player: ''Letterlander'' monsters you currently control gain 100 ATK/DEF for each monster currently in your GY, also you can send "Letterlander" monsters from your Deck to the GY equal to the number of "Letterlander" monsters you control.

Not only did you misspell "monster" (you forgot the S), but the use of the word "currently" is to indicate that the monsters only gain the 100 ATK and DEF for each of the Letterlander monsters the graveyard had at the time of that effect's resolution, so if the number of monsters in the graveyard changes later on, the ATK and DEF increase doesn't change.

Also, Zig Zag can be spelled as one word "Zigzag" instead of 2 separate words, to make this monster have exactly 3 words in the name like the rest of the archetype's main deck monsters.

UberTrainerMinusInfinity

Post #9 by UberTrainerMinusInfinity » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:58 am

Christen57's second changes are now live on Dueling Book, including the name changes! Don't forget to check out the other deck spotlights while you're at it!

Christen57

Post #10 by Christen57 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 pm

UberTrainerMinusInfinity wrote:Christen57's second changes are now live on Dueling Book, including the name changes! Don't forget to check out the other deck spotlights while you're at it!

Remember that, when changing monsters' names, you also change the text of all effects in your archetype that listed the old name so they list the new one. For example...

• Letterlander Lamp Lucy still refers to herself by her old name where her effect says "You can only use each of these effects of "Letterlander Lucy Lamp Lady" once per turn."
  • Letterlander Yellow YoYo still refers to himself by his old name where his effect says "You can only use each of these effects of "Letterlander Yellow Yo-Yo Man" once per turn."

I made a mistake correcting one of Letterlander Noisy Nick's effects. Where it says:
If a card returns from your hand, field, or GY into the Deck
that "into" should instead just be a "to" so it reads:
If a card returns from your hand, field, or GY to the Deck

I also made a mistake correcting one of Letterlander Peter Puppy's effects. Where it says:
You can pay shuffle 2
I forgot to tell you to remove that word "pay". It should just read:
You can shuffle 2

My last mistake was with Letterlander Vicki Violet's effect. Where it says:
At the start of each phase, change all
that comma should instead be a colon (since the effect is activated) so it reads:
At the start of each phase: Change all

Also, you accidentally put an extra period at the end of that effect, resulting in it saying:
all monsters you control to Attack Position..
instead of:
all monsters you control to Attack Position.

I will get to reviewing your other archetype(s) soon enough. For now I just want to thoroughly review one at a time.

UberTrainerMinusInfinity

Post #11 by UberTrainerMinusInfinity » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:52 pm

The above changes are now live!

Christen57

Post #12 by Christen57 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:18 pm

UberTrainerMinusInfinity wrote:The above changes are now live!

The archetype's monsters' shared effect:
When this is destroyed or Tributed: You can shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' cards from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck; Special Summon 1
needs to be changed to:
If this is destroyed or Tributed: You can shuffle 2 ''Letterlander'' cards from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck; Special Summon in Attack Position 1

in order to function properly, as the current effect makes the monsters miss their activation timing. Also, being able to summon the new monster in defense position allows the player to heavily stall out games by continuously bringing out monsters in defense position to repeatedly defend from attacks and protect life points.

UberTrainerMinusInfinity

Post #13 by UberTrainerMinusInfinity » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:57 pm

This change is now live in Dueling Book! It's interesting to see Letterlanders getting buffed....it's totally worth a google!

Christen57

Post #14 by Christen57 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:55 pm

UberTrainerMinusInfinity wrote:This change is now live in Dueling Book! It's interesting to see Letterlanders getting buffed....it's totally worth a google!

After testing the archetype, here are a few more changes I recommend to improving it.

Letterlander Annie Apple's second activated effect isn't powerful enough to require a discard, so that effect can be shortened from:
You can discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your hand.
to:
You can Special Summon 2 ''Letterlander'' monsters from your hand.

Letterlander Bouncy Ben's second activated effect can be buffed from:
(Quick Effect): You can target up to 3 Spells in any GY(s); shuffle them into the Deck.
to:
(Quick Effect): You can target up to 5 Spells/Traps in any GY(s); shuffle them into the Deck, then draw 1 card.

Letterlander Dippy Duck's second activated effect can be buffed from:
You can reveal the top card of your opponent's Deck, then place it on the top or bottom of the Deck.
to:
You can reveal the top card of your opponent's Deck and place it on the top or bottom of the Deck, then you can draw 1 card, then place 1 card from your hand on the top or bottom of the Deck.

Letterlander Impy Ink's effect can be nerfed from:
Cannot be attacked while you control another “Letterlander” monster.
to:
Un-targetable for attacks while you control more monsters than your opponent does.

Letterlander Munching Mike's second activated effect can be buffed from:
You can send 1 ''Letterlander'' monster from your deck to the GY.
to:
You can add to your hand or send to the GY 1 "Letterland" card from your Deck.

Letterlander Talking Tess's second effect's cost can be nerfed from:
shuffle 3 ''Letterlander'' monsters from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck
to:
shuffle 3 cards from your hand, field, and/or GY into the Deck, including a card from your hand or field

Letterlander Vicki Violet's changing effect can be shortened from:
At the start of each At the start of each phase: Change all monsters you control to Attack Position.
to:
At the start of each phase: Change all face-up Defense Position monsters to Attack Position.

Letterlander Zigzag Zebra's second activated effect can be shortened from:
If a ''Letterlander'' monster inflicts battle damage to a player: ''Letterlander'' monsters you currently control gain 100 ATK/DEF for each monster currently in your GY, also you can send "Letterlander" monsters from your Deck to the GY equal to the number of "Letterlander" monsters you control.
to:
If a player takes battle damage: You can send "Letterlander" monsters from your Deck to the GY equal to the number of cards you control.

Having too many effects that modify atk and def makes keeping tracking of such stats more tedious than it needs to be, so this monster should just be able to dump cards equal to the number of any of its controller's cards they control.

UberTrainerMinusInfinity

Post #15 by UberTrainerMinusInfinity » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:12 pm

Christen77's buffs n' bruises are now live! But if he tested out LETTERLAND of all things, then I would love to see the deck he used....

Christen57

Post #16 by Christen57 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:12 am

UberTrainerMinusInfinity wrote:Christen77's buffs n' bruises are now live! But if he tested out LETTERLAND of all things, then I would love to see the deck he used....

I don't have time to screenshot and share the decklist I used at the moment, but basically the deck was 60 cards and contained:

With so many cards in this archetype, and me having to run at least 2 of each to reduce chances of bricking, I had little to no room for generic staples, so I had to run the best ones, and went with those 2 spell cards.

UberTrainerMinusInfinity

Post #17 by UberTrainerMinusInfinity » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:34 pm

The deck recipe has been remembered.....Happy Halloween!

Return to “Custom Cards”