Custom Archetype "Arturia": A Saber Fan's vain attempt at an Archetype

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Saraak
Mood:

Custom Archetype "Arturia": A Saber Fan's vain attempt at an Archetype

Post #1 by Saraak » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:47 am

It's been a while, and I'm a bit rusty when it comes to Forums, but I've made a new archetype (multiple, but this is one I decided was best to share).

Before you read further, this was made purely as an exercise to see if it was possible to make a functional Archetype based around all iterations of Saber (Arturia Pendragon) from various Type-Moon works.

The challenge around it was that there were just far too many items and variations of the character to make a thematically functional archetype (and I've excluded quite a few Saber-faces, as the term for all who look like the character aptly describes). I've had some cards left private purely because they didn't fit the feel of the archetype I was going for, with those cards being related to Summer variants of Arturia (multiple of them) and even spin-off characters (like the Servant Universe Servants). They exist, and I've made them thematic while trying to ensure they aren't overpowered, but they'll still be kept private due to their DLC-like nature. As in, they don't fit with the Archetype.

But on more related information, namely the playstyle. It simply shits out a Synchro monster or two, potentially climb its way to a Level 8, and then use those Synchros Monsters as material for Xyz Monsters of the appropriate Rank at any time if you so desire. They have effects when Synchro or Xyz Summoned, but if they use them, they're sent back to the Extra Deck and you SS an Archetype monster from the GY during the End Phase. The only exceptions to this rule are the Level/Rank 8 monsters, who apply more permanent effects through the use of Avalon Counters. These Counters do nothing on their own and require the Level 8 monsters to be on the field to do anything, which can vary from negating to protection, and that'll be the Archetype's only form of negation and protection. As a result, it prefers going second to make use of the Level/Rank 4 and 6 removal effects, as the negation and protection effects are admittedly somewhat wonky to make use out of.

Art Source: Literally anywhere. I spent a long time just looking for images that could be cropped decently enough to pass as card art, and even then, it wasn't always successful.

Cards: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=9157277

Sample Deck: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=9173742

Replay(s): (I'll update this with feedback, as I haven't found the time to practically test them as of yet)
Main 2 Card Combo (Lily + Merlin): https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=621063-32642731

Some notes:
-Lily is the most important card due to her Level modulation, which grants you access to the Level/Rank 4 and 6 monsters. Merlin does something similar but is useless on his own, whereas Lily can be a 1 card bounce and pop (if you Synchro Summon, then Xyz Summon).
-You want to use Merlin's effect to send Mordred to the GY because then you can freely add her back to your hand with Camlann's GY effect (if you open it). Camlann can help mitigate resource loss if you get Dark Hole'd (example), then that means you get 1 of the destroyed monsters back, kind of like Dinomist Charge, but optional.
-Arthur is better suited as a Monster Searcher, but he can easily double as a Spell/Trap searcher when summoned, primarily through Apprentice's effect.
-Bunny King is an outlier to the Deck, but this is because her original from F/GO did something similar. If I have to nerf her, I will.
-Tower of Avalon is the main way to prevent the Archetype from overusing its resources by banishing/detaching for their effects, but it has no way to generate Avalon Counters without the use of the Level/Rank 8 monsters and the Trap Card (other than when you first activate it).

And for those curious enough to see all the cards, including the ones I've kept private, here's a link, but I haven't balanced these and I'm unsure if it actually displays the privated cards: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=9149181
An aggregate of all my Custom Cards: https://forum.duelingbook.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14930
I'm open to being criticized. I'm not a perfect human being who knows when or where he fucked up, but truly willing to learn.

Zack223
Mood:

Post #2 by Zack223 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:08 am

Nice ;)

Zacian best Pokemon he is fucking cool

greg503

Post #3 by greg503 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:45 pm

Last I checked sharing a deck link allows people to view private cards.
Buy Floowandereeze

Return to “Custom Cards”