Single/Dual Monster Archetypes Done Right

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Christen57

Single/Dual Monster Archetypes Done Right

Post #1 by Christen57 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:20 pm

After reading Futuregamer's "The Problem with Single/Dual Monster Archetypes," I've decided to present some single/dual monster custom archetypes of my own so people can have an idea of how to design a single/dual monster archetype the right way.

In Futuregamer's article, he goes over some single/dual monster archetypes, explains their design flaws, and what we can learn from them. For Eldlich, the main issue is at least 10 different good searchers along with Eldlich the Golden Lord himself being able to add himself from the graveyard back to the hand once per turn and special summon himself easily with 2 turns of 3500 ATK and effect destruction protection. For Invoked, the main issue is 3 different cards each able to add either a card from the deck (in the case of Aleister and Meltdown) or add a banished card (in the case of Invocation) to the hand for free, along with them each being able to do additional strong things on top of that (Meltdown protects your fusion summons from being negated or responded to, Aleister can boost your fusion monsters by 1000 for a turn, and Invocation can fusion summon using materials from either graveyard in addition to materials from your hand/field). For Sky Striker, the main issue is Engage, a searchable searcher that both searches a card and draws you an additional one, along with the easy-to-summon Kagari/Shizuku/Hayate that recycles/searches/dumps more of your stuff for free once per turn. For Evil Twin, the main issue is the majority of the cards being either too slow or simply not good enough to make them worth running. For Dual Avatar, the issue is the lack of a common mechanic to keep things together, along with the archetype being focused on creating tokens but then "punishing" you for trying to make full use of said tokens.

Here are the single/dual monster custom archetypes of mine I'll be showing off (in alphabetical order) to give an idea on how to better design single/dual monster archetypes so you don't make some of the mistakes Konami made with their single/dual monster archetypes:

• Chess
  • Dragon Ball
  • Finger-Biting Baby
  • Glissa, the Traitor
  • Half-Genie
  • Hitmon
  • Legal Eagle
  • Maiden in Love
  • Monster Tale
  • Roblox
  • Tribulldog
  • Umizoomi
  • Wii Fit

I'll also be explaining why I designed some of these cards the way I designed them.

Chess

Intro: This dual monster archetype's monsters are based on the 6 different pieces in the popular board game known as Chess: The Pawn, the Knight, the Bishop, the Rook, the King, and the Queen. The reason I made Queen and Pawn main deck cards while the rest of the monsters are link monsters is so I could properly base each of their effects on what kinds of pieces they can "threaten" in Chess. For example, I made the Rook able to target and destroy any card in it's own column, but only in it's own column, because in Chess, the Rook can move as far as it wants straight up, straight down, straight to the left, or straight to the right (but not diagonally in any way), and can "attack" any piece that's in any of these specified directions.

The performance: https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31044373
https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31044667
As you can see, the archetype has quite a bit of searchers, special summons from deck/graveyard, and destruction, but at the same time it relies heavily on having specific cards in specific zones, just like how Chess is about positioning your pieces in specific areas on the board to gain the upper hand. The archetype's spells/traps are named after either Chess or various Chess-based actions, such as Castling, a special Chess move you can perform involving your King and Rook. The archetype also has a special little gimmick where each link monster can move itself back and forth between the extra and main monster zones as long as no other monsters occupy either extra monster zone.

The lesson: Like the above Boi archetype, this archetype needs no more than 4 different searchers, and unlike Sky Strikers and Eldlich, this archetype has no need for link-1s using each other as link material, plus it's searchers only search either very specific cards or under specific conditions. The field spell requires you to control no face-up monsters, and it only special summons, it doesn't add. "Castle" only brings out 2 other very specific chess monsters and nothing else. "Opening" requires you to have your main monster zones empty, and "Promotion" requires you to set it and wait a turn to use it (since it's a trap) and tribute a specific chess monster to get a search. The spells/traps do all the searching/adding. None of the monsters search, add, or special summon.
Like the above Boi archetype, this archetype locks you into chess monsters and link monsters, making it hard to splash into other decks the way Invoked can be splashed, though you still can use various spells to help you out, and you most likely will be using a lot of them like Dark Ruler No More since this archetype relies heavily on both targeting and destruction, making it weak against monsters that protect from either of those things.
This archetype's field spell is also strong unlike Evil Twin's field spell, and unlike Dual Avatar, this archetype has a decent common mechanic keeping it together, with all of the monsters able to target and destroy specific cards depending on the zones they're in, and also being able to move themselves to other specific zones on the field like how different Chess pieces can move around the board in different ways.

Dragon Ball

Intro: Most Dragon Ball custom decks I've seen will have like 10-20 different main deck monsters or something like that. Many of them will lack common mechanics of any kind to keep things together. Many of them end up with a bunch of monsters with DIVINE-Attribute or broken effects or worse. This archetype does neither of those. This is a straightforward dual monster archetype of just Goku and Vegeta as the main deck monsters, and the rest of the monsters are the fusion monsters, while an equip spell also exists for this archetype to give it more consistency. The common mechanic is that the main deck monsters can search a specific dragon ball card upon being normal summoned, while each of the archetype's fusion monsters has an effect that triggers upon it leaving the field. The archetype has 2 fusion monsters that need Fusion Gate to be summoned (a reference to "fusion dancing" in Dragon Ball) and 2 fusion monsters that need the archetype's equip spell to be summoned (a reference to the "Potara" earrings from Dragon Ball).

The performance: https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31047055
I'm well aware that an equip spell that can search any other spell in the game once per turn is going to be very powerful, which is why the archetype needs heavy restrictions or other downsides to balance it out and why the rest of the archetype's cards can't be allowed to be anywhere near that strong, but as you can see, the archetype still performs decently, and the equip spell still requires a Dragon Ball monster to actually equip to in order to search, making it useless by itself. Since the archetype's fusions are each going to require 4-5 different cards in total, in kinda makes sense for some of the cards to make up for it by being able to add stuff back to the hand or float upon leaving the field.

The lesson: While this archetype is similar to Invoked in some ways, as they both can be considered 1-card fusion engines that can recycle cards banished or in the graveyard, I still find Dragon Ball to be the weaker of the 2 archetypes for multiple reasons. Dragon Ball is more reliant on the normal summon than Invoked, it's far less splashable in other decks than Invoked, it's more susceptible to hand traps than Invoked, especially hand traps like Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit which is effective against the archetype's field and equip spells but ineffective against Invoked's spells, not to mention Invoked's fusion cards/monsters are overall better, and capable of more, than those of Dragon Ball. In Dragon Ball, if either your normal summon or your equip spell gets disrupted, your turn is over, at least in the vast majority of cases. In Invoked, if your normal summon gets disrupted, you can probably still play Invocation if you have it and the appropriate fusion materials are still available in the hand/graveyards. You can still set defensive traps if you have any so you'll at least have something to protect yourself with. You can probably still play Eldlich/Shaddoll/Dogmatika/Windwitch cards you may have included in your deck since Invoked can easily be mixed with those. You don't have that luxury with Dragon Ball. In Invoked, you can fusion summon using materials from graveyards in addition to the hand/field. In Dragon Ball, all materials must be somewhere in your hand/field.
While this archetype has "graveyard" effects similar to Eldlich, only the fusion monsters have them, and they're optional effects that trigger only when they leave the field, making it possible for them to miss their timing.
This archetype can be seen as more aggressive than Sky Strikers due to it's weakest monsters having 2000 ATK with the strongest monsters having twice that much, but unlike Sky Strikers, this archetype can get away with having multiple monsters on the field and has no need for link-1s or spells that generate advantage on their own.
This archetype has no in-archetype field spell, but all of it's main deck cards are useful unlike Evil Twin's cards, and it's common mechanic (something Dual Avatar lacks) greatly helps.

Finger-Biting Baby

Intro: This archetype consisting of just 1 main deck monster, 1 link monster, and 2 spells, is based on the infamous "Charlie Bit My Finger!" youtube video(s) where a young boy cries about having his finger bitten by his baby brother, Charlie.
The archetype focuses on bringing out Charlie the Finger-Biting Baby, then bringing out multiple link-1s and rearranging their positions with cards like Senet Switch so they all point to said Charlie the Finger-Biting Baby (a reference to the older brother pointing his finger into Charlie's mouth) so that Charlie gains a ton of ATK for each of those pointing monsters and can also destroy any number of monsters pointing link arrows at him, a reference to Charlie biting his older brother's finger(s) pointing at him.

The performance: The archetype is capable of FTKing/OTKing with the right opening hand. As long as you open up with Charlie (or a way to get to him such as with Reinforcement of the Army), one of your other cards that can reposition link monsters (Senet Switch, Column Switch, or Trancefamiliar), Marincess Mandarin, and 2 of your pendulum monsters, you'll be able to pull off the 8000-damage FTK/OTK combo, which I've demonstrated here. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31216719

The lesson: Like the above Boi and Chess archetypes, this archetype also has no more than 4 different searchers, also this archetype's searchers only search specific monsters and nothing else, making them even less abusable than those of Eldlich.
At first glance, this archetype may look like a 1-card link engine similar to Invoked's 1-card fusion engine, but as I've demonstrated in the above solo replay, this archetype also relies heavily on scale 0 and scale 2 (and higher) pendulum monsters as well as unsearchable spells to assist in it's combos/OTks/FTKs, making it, at the very minimum, a 3 or 4-card link engine instead of a 1-card one. The archetype has no special summons from the deck or graveyard, as all of it's special summoning is either pendulum summoning or link summoning.
The archetype does rely heavily on link-1s the way Sky Striker does, but unlike Sky Striker's, only 1 of this archetype's link-1s has a useful effect, said link-1 has 0 ATK and is hard once per turn with restrictions preventing the use of traps or setting cards, and said link-1 is less versatile than Sky Striker's links. This archetype also has to rely far more on random cards, that aren't part of it's archetype, than Sky Striker does. Other than maybe Upstart Golbin and Toon Table of Contents (to help fill the graveyard with spells), Sky Striker can function entirely on it's own with just it's own Sky Striker cards. This archetype, however, needs to rely on random link-1s that do nothing on their own, such as Secure Gardna and Marincess Sea Angel, and are only useful because their link arrows point right and left respectively so Charlie the Finger-Biting Baby can reach it's 4000 to 6000 ATK. This archetype also has to rely on a bunch of random and mostly unhelpful spells and pendulum monsters that also do nothing on their own, none of which generate any advantage on their own, and are only useful either because of their pendulum scales (in the case of the pendulums) or because they can rearrange your monsters (in the case of Senet Switch and Column Switch). Sky Striker doesn't suffer as much from these issues, also this archetype has the unique issue of being reliant on both extra monster zones instead of just 1, especially for it's FTK/OTK, something else Sky Striker doesn't need to worry about, meaning the opponent can just put a monster in one of the extra monster zones to make the FTK/OTK a lot harder until you get rid of it.
Unlike Evil Twins though, this archetype actually has a solid board it wants to end on: Charlie the Finger-Biting Baby with at least 3 arrows pointing to it to buff it to 6000 ATK.
While I can't pinpoint this archetype's exact common mechanic, the next best thing is still the fact that all of it's cards still search something (like how the continuous spells each can search Charlie the Finger-Biting Baby on activation), and synergize with one another much better than Dual Avatar's cards, so this archetype is still kept together by those things at least.

Glissa, the Traitor

Intro: I probably shouldn't be calling this a single "monster" archetype since it's more like a single "card" archetype, but I'm still calling it one since you still have to build a deck around it to make it really work, similar to how you build a deck around Mystic Mine to make full use of that card. This card is based on the Magic: The Gathering legendary creature of the same name with similar stats. https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/details.aspx?multiverseid=214072
In Yugioh, I made her ATK and DEF 1200, specifically because in Magic: The Gathering, you start with 20 life, and this creature has 3 power and toughness in that game, so if you start with 8000 life in yugioh, and 8000 is 20 (the amount of life you start with in Magic: The Gathering) multiplied by 400, I figured it would make sense for "Glissa, the Traitor" to have her power and toughness (which are both 3) also multiplied by 400 so her stats fits in the context of yugioh since it would be silly to leave her at just 3 ATK/DEF in yugioh just because that's the exact amount of power and toughness she had in Magic: The Gathering.
As for her effect, I had to "translate" it a bit so it works in the context of yugioh but still remains similar to it's Magic: The Gathering effect, as yugioh currently doesn't have mechanics like "First Strike" and "Deathtouch," but does have monster effects like "At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles X monster: Destroy that monster" which function like Magic: The Gathering's First Strike and Deathtouch.

The performance: The archetype performs well, though this duel may have been too easy since my opponent played a bunch of bad/bricky cards and PSCT-lacking customs. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31262830

The lesson: Because of how strong "Glissa, the Traitor" herself is, there's no need for any searchers or special summons from the deck to go along with her, especially since already-existing cards like Reasoning and Foolish Burial can dump her to the graveyard for her to special summon herself, as long as I control no monsters. This way I can't special summon multiple copies of her for free. I also made it so you need to have no extra deck and can't summon, or activate any effects of, monsters that aren't "Glissa, the Traitor," meaning you can't rely on anything other than her to deal damage.
The less card's an archetype has, the easier it will be to balance that archetype. 1 card is easier to fix and balance than a bunch of different cards, so if "Glissa, the Traitor" proves to be too strong, I can fix her without having to worry about any other potentially broken cards. For example, after this replay I shared, I decided to make her destruction effect mandatory instead of optional so smart players could try to bait it out.
This archetype doesn't have the issues that Eldlich, Sky Striker, Invoked, and Evil Twins have due to being entirely 1 card that doesn't add or special summon from the deck, and she requires an empty extra deck and locks you into her as your only monster, and you can't really have a common mechanic with just 1 card anyway, unlike Dual Avatar which has many cards.

Half-Genie

Intro: This single monster archetype is about the character Shantae from the Shantae series, a girl who can transform into various animals and makes use of these transformations throughout her adventures, such as transforming into a bird to fly, transforming into a monkey to climb, and so on. I would consider this archetype a Xyz version of Masked HEROes, since this archetype focuses on using it's 1 monster and various quick-play spells to bring out various extra deck monsters from other archetypes, like how Masked HEROes use Mask Change and Mask Change II along with any 1 specific monster to bring out a fusion monster.

The performance: https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31264093
https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31264166
Once again, I lose only because of multiple misplays on my end, but still, this is generally how the archetype performs. It's less restrictive than some of the previous archetypes I've presented here, meaning it can incorporate staples like Dinowrestler Pankratops, as well as a variety of different spells, with the only real "rule" of this archetype being no traps.

The lesson: Having too many searchers is generally bad design, yes, but that's why I made it so that this archetype's 5 different searching spells each only search the archetype's 1 main deck monster and nothing else. Eldlich and Sky Striker's searchers on the other hand can each search a variety of their respective archetypes' different cards, while this archetype's searchers only search Shantae the Half-Genie so you can get her "transformations" going, and Shantae the Half-Genie lets you target and recycle any card(s) in your graveyard then draw 2 cards, all upon being summoned, ensuring that you can keep things going as long as you're drawing the correct cards. This also makes it harder for you to run out of copies of "Shantae the Half-Genie" or any of her "transformation" spells.
Like Invoked, this archetype relies on 1 main deck monster and multiple spells, but unlike Invoked, this archetype's 1 main deck monster has no hand/graveyard effects, and it's spells can't recycle themselves from the graveyard, only being able to attach themselves from the graveyard to an xyz monster upon said xyz monster being summoned with one of the archetype's spells.
All of this archetype's cards are worth running at 2 or 3, unlike Evil Twin which has many cards that are worth running only at 1, if at all, and this archetype's spells all have the common mechanics keeping it together where it's spells can each choose between adding Shantae the Half-Genie to the hand and xyz summoning a specific monster on top of Shantae the Half-Genie, and can each attach themselves from the graveyard to a monster xyz summoned with one of the archetype's spells, and none of this archetype's cards need a hard once per turn.

Hitmon

Intro: This single monster archetype is based on the pokemon Tyrogue, as well as it's 3 different possible evolutions: Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, and Hitmontop. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tyrogue_(Pokémon)

The performance: To make up for this archetype's ability to search/draw up to 4 cards each turn (1 off of Tyrogue and 3 off of one of the fusion monsters if any of them get fusion summoned), the archetype is balanced by the fact that it disallows traps, setting cards, and non-"Hitmon" monsters other than level 1 earth warrior effect monsters, the fact that it's fusion monsters' floodgate effects affect both players, as well as the fact that it bricks if you don't open up with Tyrogue, Polymerization (as well as the appropriate monsters to fusion summon with), or anyway to get to any of these cards since Tyrogue is this archetype's only searcher, while the fusion monsters let you recycle cards and draw 3 cards upon being summoned, but require you to already have the appropriate summoning card(s)/material(s) beforehand. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31268213
However, once you start triggering the Tyrogue/Hitmon monsters' effects a couple times, you can start generating plenty of advantage slowly but surely. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31271330

The lesson: This card needs no more searchers than it's 1 main deck monster, compared to Eldlich and Sky Striker which generate advantage (off of many different cards) with little to downsides/restrictions to balance them out, while this archetype prevents monsters that don't share the earth warrior stats, traps, as well as setting cards, so you have to rely solely on your monsters to lock out different opponent's monsters depending on their ATK and DEF. Another thing that helps keep the archetype balanced is that it relies heavily on ATK-modifiers and DEF-modifiers like Pyramid Energy and Sword of Deep-Seated, all of which are minus 1 on their own. Not to mention it also relies on a bunch of other (mostly bad) level 1 warriors that also do pretty much nothing on their own.
This archetype isn't splashable in other decks/engines like Invoked since, again, it locks you heavily into specific monsters and out of traps/face-downs.
All of this archetype's cards are strong in their own ways depending on the kind of deck you're going up against (unlike Evil Twin's cards), and unlike Dual Avatar, this archetype has common mechanics keeping it together, specifically it's fusion monsters. The fusion monsters all require either 2 level 1 earth warrior effect monsters with specific ATK and DEF, or a normal summoned Tyrogue with specific ATK and DEF. They all let you recycle any amount of cards in your graveyard to then draw 3 cards (I went with 3 cards because 2 cards felt like too little, and any more cards than 3 felt like too much; 3 felt just right). They can't be destroyed by battle while they themselves have specific ATK and DEF, and they each disallow effect activations of monsters with specific ATK and DEF (besides themselves). I wanted to be careful with that last common mechanic, because I didn't want to create another unfun/uninteractive deck like Mystic Mine, so I figured having one of them affecting monsters with higher ATK than DEF, another one affecting monsters with higher DEF than ATK, and the last one affecting monsters with equal ATK and DEF, with none of them preventing attacking, would do the trick.

Legal Eagle

Intro: This single monster archetype is based on the popular youtuber/lawyer of the same name. The spells themselves are named after the various but real and controversial court cases he covered on his youtube channel.

The performance: I know that replays where my opponent plays banned cards shouldn't count, but this replay still shows decently how the deck usually performs. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31274954
After that, I made some minor changes to some of my cards to balance them better, then had another duel to test them out. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31275387
So you can see how the archetype relies fairly heavily on strong but strange and somewhat situational cards (like Full House and Punch-in-the-Box), similar to how Legal Eagle's cases on youtube regarding strange controversial and situational (but real) legal issues.

The lesson: This archetype's spell can search any of the other archetype's cards, but unlike Eldlich, Sky Striker, and Invoked, this archetype's searchers require you to run specific cards in your deck and specific cards in the extra deck, preferably at 3 copies each, in order to function. For example, you need to run Topologic Bomber Dragon, Bickuribox, Punch-in-the-Box or Fairy Box, Full House, Snipe Hunter, and Bayonater the Baneful Barrel, all so you can make full use of this archetype's searchers, leaving not too much room for other cards outside the archetype like Infinite Impermanence, especially since the archetype also locks you into both dark monsters and this archetype's spells, though you can still play traps and whatnot outside the archetype on the opponent's turn when you're not playing the archetype's cards.
All of this archetype's cards are helpful for ensuring you get to Legal Eagle consistently, making this archetype not have the issues Evil Twin has, and the archetype's spells have their common mechanic keeping the archetype together where they can search Legal Eagle in some way, but can also search different somewhat generic or somewhat situational cards or bring out an extra deck monster such as Topologic Bomber Dragon or a Bickuribox.

Maiden in Love

Intro: This single monster archetype is based on the cards that the character Blair Flannigan used in the GX anime. https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_GX_-_Episode_020
However, when designing these cards as customs, I changed their effects a bit (something Konami often does when porting anime cards over to the Official/Traditional Card Game). The main difference is that, in the anime, while these cards relied on placing counters on the opponent's cards (like Aliens and Predaplants do), I decided to make my version of this archetype not be reliant on counters. I also made my versions of these cards better and less situational than their anime counterparts. For example, in the anime, all Defense Maiden (a continuous trap) did was redirect any opponent's attack to a Maiden in Love. When designing Defense Maiden as a custom, I made it so that while I have no extra deck, it can 1) activate the turn it was set, 2) also search one of the archetype's cards once per turn, 3) bounce any face-up card I control once per turn, allowing me to dodge certain effects like a Mind Control targeting my Maiden in Love, and 4) redirect any opponent's attack to any of my monsters instead of just a Maiden in Love (as long as I still control Maiden in Love).

The performance: Here's what a typical board with this archetype would end on: https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31277094
and here's me dueling a Dark Magician player with this archetype. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31277192
Thanks to this archetype not being as restrictive as some of the other archetypes I've presented here (the only rules being you need to have an empty extra deck and can't summon monsters that aren't light), I can splash a variety of defensive cards, light-attributed hand traps such as Effect Veiler and Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit, as well as a variety of spells and traps. Still, despite this archetype's searchers and ability to splash in Santa Claws to deal with some of the more annoying boss monsters out there, the archetype is still kept balanced by it's reliance on both equip spells (which are useless if there is no monster they can equip to) and normal summoning (as the archetype has no means of special summoning or reliably getting more than 1 monster out in a turn).

The lesson: Here, I once again continue the trend of only 4 different searchers, and what's great about this archetype is that it's searchers are all hard once per turn and require no extra deck, making them harder to abuse than Eldlich, Sky Striker, and Invoked's searchers. Not to mention half of this archetype's searchers are equip spells that can't search on their own and require a monster to equip to in order to search, making them useless if no monsters are on the field that can be equipped.
All of this archetype's cards possess a variety of useful effects unlike their anime counterparts and unlike Evil Twins. Maiden in Love protects herself from battle while she's in attack position and can search, Cupid's Kiss can permanently steal an opponent's monster after a battle and can search, Happy Marriage can search and permanently boost an equipped monster's ATK by a another face-up monster's, and Defense Maiden can redirect attacks, search, and bounce. This is the only single monster archetype I'm presenting here with monster(s), spell(s), and trap(s) all sharing a common mechanic, unlike other single/dual monster archetypes where only the monsters share a common mechanic, or only the spells share a common mechanic, or only the traps share a common mechanic. Dual Avatar lacks any common mechanics or enough consistency to keep it together.

Monster Tale

Intro: This archetype is based on the Nintendo DS game of the same name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Tale
It's about a girl named Ellie who ends up in another world and meets a creature she decides to call "Chomp". The two of them become best friends and go on an adventure to save said world from various villains that seek to dominate it. The archetype's traps are based on some of the various forms Chomp can "grow" into: Fire, Water, Light, and Earth.

The performance: https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31279012
https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31279349
https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31279726
Ignoring the broken cards the first 2 opponent's here were playing, the archetype is fairly consistent (despite going over 40 cards), consisting of 4 searching traps and 1 searching monster that let's the opponent pick 1 of 3 beast effect monsters for you to bring out, each of which require different attributes from each other. It's a straightforward control/beatdown beast/beast-warrior deck, allowing the use of some spells outside the archetype to help it out and disallowing both the extra deck and normal/ritual/fusion/synchro/xyz/pendulum/link monsters.

The lesson: The archetype's searchers are probably as good as Eldlich, Sky Striker, and Invoked's searchers, but what I did to balance them out was include restrictions and make them mostly traps that have to be set for a turn and can only be activated during the main phase, all without any additional hand or graveyard effects. Also, just like how I decided that the fusion monsters of the above Hitmon archetype should draw 3 cards, I decided that 3 would be the best number of cards this archetype's traps should be allowed to search, figuring, like I figured out with Hitmon, that anything less than 3 would be too little for a trap with so many restrictions, and that anything more than 3 would be too much, even for a trap with so many restrictions.
I always make sure that as many of my custom archetypes' cards as possible would be viable and ran at 3 copies each. That's how you know the usefulness of an archetype's cards, something Konami didn't keep in mind when designing Evil Twin. The traps have a strong common mechanic keeping the archetype together, where they each add 3 monster tale cards to the hand and also can tribute a beast effect monster with a specific attribute that battled that turn and allow me to special summon a beast effect monster with the same attribute but an equal or higher level than the tributed one, so it won't crumble as easily as Dual Avatar.

Roblox

Intro: This dual monster archetype is based on the popular online game of the same name. The entire archetype is just 2 monsters, Builderman and Telamon, named after the roblox developer's username and the username of a popular roblox staff member respectively.

The performance: Due to the entire archetype consisting of just those 2 monsters I mentioned, and no other cards or searchers, this makes the archetype inconsistent, especially since the monsters are Rocks, meaning the archetype can't utilize already-existing searchers like Reinforcement of the Army, Fire Formation - Tenki, or Cynet Mining the way Warrior, Beast-Warrior, and Cyberse decks (respectively) can. In plenty of my duels I never saw either Builderman or Telamon in my opening hand or drew either of them, meaning I had to rely solely on the odd-eyes/pendulum cards. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31309092
To make up for this inconsistency, I made Builderman and Telamon's effects really strong, being able to special summon themselves from the hand or graveyard for free once per turn if I control a Roblox monster, and being able to "dig" potential fusion materials from the top of the deck to "build" fusion monsters with, a reference to Roblox being about building things to create a fun experience. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31311857
Eventually I decided that their excavating/fusion-summoning effects were too strong to be quick effects, so I made them no longer quick effects and tested them again. This time, they felt just right. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31312592

The lesson: Because both of this archetype's cards are really strong thanks to their common mechanic of special summoning themselves once per turn, adding, and possibly fusion summoning with cards from the top of the deck, it has no need for any searchers the way Eldlich, Invoked, Evil Twins, and Dual Avatars do, nor does this archetype need any link-1s like Sky Striker does. Also, to balance this archetype even further, I made it so if you use any of their effects, you can't set or special summon other than by the archetype's monster's effects that same turn. That way, you have to be smart and decide whether to focus on pendulum summoning or trying your luck to see if you can pull of a fusion summon, plus you won't be able to rely on setting any backrow to help you out, meaning you'll have to rely solely on your fusion monsters and some pendulum monsters to win.

Tribulldog

Intro: Like the Maiden in Love archetype, this single monster archetype is also based on cards an anime character used. In this case, this archetype is based on Pip's "dog" cards from yugioh zexal. https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_ZEXAL_-_Episode_039
https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Pip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQPUMk3jbw
Also like the Maiden in Love archetype, I made adjustments when "porting" some of these cards over to duelingbook as customs. For example, in the anime, Tribulldog's only effect is that it can special summon another Tribulldog from the hand. I figured that alone would make the monster too weak, so I gave my version of Tribulldog a better special summoning effect along with a draw effect. I made it so it can special summon up to 1 level 4 beast effect monster each from the hand and graveyard (meaning I can special summon a level 4 beast effect monster from the hand and/or a level 4 beast effect monster from the graveyard), and I made it so when it's summoned I can shuffle any number of cards from the graveyard in to the deck then draw 3 cards. I went with 3 cards because that felt right, like how the number 3 felt right with the above Hitmon and Monster Tale archetypes. I adjusted "Pooch Party" and "Raise the Woof" so that instead of special summoning "level 1/earth/beast/atk 0/def 0" tokens, they each special summon level 1 earth beast effect monsters with 0 atk/def from the hand/deck/graveyard instead. I adjusted Doubulldog so that instead of requiring 2 Tribulldog already on the field to activate and only special summoning from the deck, it doesn't require any Tribulldog to already be on the field and will special summon from the hand, deck, or graveyard instead of just the deck. I made Sumo King Dog specifically require earth beast effect monsters instead of just beast monsters and I made it able to negate both spells and traps instead of just traps. Then I gave it an additional effect like Tribulldog's effect where it can shuffle any number of cards from the graveyard into the deck then draw 3 cards and potentially change a monster's battle position. Finally, on top of all that, I also made it give itself 500 ATK for each earth beast effect monster on it's controller's field (a reference to the anime equip spell "Dog King" that Pip played, to give this monster 500 ATK for each beast monster she controlled).

The performance: This is what one of the archetype's usual endboards look like — a turn 1 Sumo King Dog, and maybe some extra earth beast effect monsters so said Sumo King Dog gains additional ATK. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31327923
Alternatively, I can also make a 1 card Naturia Beast or Naturia Barkion, thanks to Rescue Cat. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31415586
After these duels, I changed Sumo King Dog so that instead of saying you can only use each of it's effects once per turn, it says you can only use 1 of it's effects per turn and only once that turn, since I realized that being able to use both it's effect the same turn would be too strong, even with the restrictions it already had.

The lesson: This archetype's main generators of card advantage are going to be "Tribulldog" and "Sumo King Dog". The archetype's spells can special summon from the hand/deck/graveyard, and both "Raise the Woof" and "Pooch Party" can special summon multiple monsters from the hand/deck/graveyard, but because these 2 spells only special summon specific monsters with 0 atk/def and have specific restrictions on them, those monsters special summoned off of either of those 2 spells will still be useless on their own. For example, Pooch Party can special summon 2 of those kinds of monsters, but since they're level 1 with 0 atk/def, you mostly likely aren't going to be attacking with them except with maybe Handigallop, and that's only if you and your opponent have the correct amount of life points. You most likely aren't going to be using those 2 monsters for a tribute, fusion, synchro, xyz, or link summon since the spell locks you out of tribute, fusion, and link summoning, there are currently no level 2 earth beast synchros worth going into and there are currently no rank 1 earth beast xyz monsters you can use those monsters to summon either. This means those monsters will be mostly useless, unless you can bring out another earth beast tuner like X-Saber Airbellum so you can at least then make a "Naturia Beast," or unless you can bring out Sumo King Dog so he gives himself an additional 1000 atk for you controlling those 2 monsters. At the end phase, the 2 summoned monsters special summoned off of Pooch Party, are destroyed and don't stick around to act as defense against your opponent's attacks. Raise the Woof special summons 4 level 1 earth beast effect monsters with 0 atk/def, instead of just 2 of them, but you need to special summon exactly 4, not up to 4, meaning you need to have a mostly empty field to make use of Raise the Woof, and again, you need to have other cards you can use alongside those 4 monsters to fully make use of those 4 monsters, such as tuners to go into one of your synchro monsters or Sumo King Dog so it can give itself an additional 2000 atk. Also, instead of destroying the special summoned monsters at the end phase, Raise the Woof requires them all to be summoned in attack position and prevents them from being tributed, meaning your opponent will still be able to attack into them to deal you damage, unlike something like Scapegoat which lets you summon monsters in defense position to stop opponents' attacks and protect some of your life points. So this archetype really only has 2 meaningful advantage-generators, unlike Eldlich, Sky Striker, and Invoked, each of which has at least 3 different meaningful advantage-generators.
Unlike Evil Twin, all of this archetype's cards lead to more consistency or advantage generation, but this archetype is still balanced by the fact that you have to run a bunch of mostly useless level 1 monsters like Neko Mane King so you have enough things you can special summon using the spells.
Unlike Dual Avatar, the archetype's spells have the common mechanic of being able to special summon a certain amount of monsters from the hand/deck/graveyard, while the 2 monsters have the (hard once per turn) common mechanic of recycling cards in your graveyard upon being summoning then drawing you new cards, and both of these common mechanics keep the Tribulldog archetype together.

Umizoomi

Intro: This single monster archetype is based on the 3 miniature superheroes from the show, Team Umizoomi. These 3 heroes consist of Milli, a girl with the power to manipulate patterns, Geo, a boy with the power to manipulate shapes, and Bot, a talking robot-like computer (or computer-like robot, whatever he is). The archetype's main deck monster is the team's main mode of transportation in the show, the Umicar.
The spells are all named after the team's various powers:
Umizoomi Pattern Power is named after Milli's Pattern Power ability.
Umizoomi Super Shapes is named after Geo's Super Shapes ability.
"Team Umizoomi! Ready for Action!" and "Calling All Umis! Team Umizoomi!" are named after the team's many calls to action.
Umizoomi Mighty Math Powers is named after the team's Mighty Math Powers.
This archetype takes advantage of extra linking, but with 3 monsters instead of the usual 5 like other extra link focused archetypes. https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Extra_Link

The performance: This archetype's main weaknesses are it's very low consistency plus it's heavy reliance on extra-linking. It has no searchers other than Milli, Geo, and that spell that requires you to already control Milli.
The archetype's links require you to already have at least Umicar to bring out early on, so if you don't open up with Umicar, you won't be able to get much done, especially since the archetype disallows spells/traps other than it's own spells, meaning you can't even play any deck-thinners like Upstart Goblin to help you get to your Umicar faster. "Calling All Umis! Team Umizoomi!" is this archetype's only deck-thinner that doesn't require you to already control a specific Umizoomi monster to activate, but that's all. Everything else requires Umicar to get you started, meaning many of your games may look like this where you have to require solely on cards outside of the archetype because you didn't open up with Umicar or any way to get to it. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31420102
The good news is that all this archetype's downsides end there. Every monster in the archetype has an effect that either adds or destroys something, and some of them do both. Out of all of my custom archetypes I've presented here, this is the only archetype that places no restrictions on the kind of monsters you can summon or activate the effects of, meaning you can splash any other main deck or extra deck monster into this archetype that could support it. I've decided to splash a bunch of mostly level 10 monsters into this archetype so I could use them with Umizoomi Super Shapes to fusion summon Phantasm Emperor Trilojig, and I went with Borreload Dragon, Borrelsword Dragon, and Mekk-Knight Crusdia Avramax since those 3 could deal with pretty much any threat. Borreload Dragon could deal with indestructible monsters like Beelze of the Diabolic Dragons, Borrelsword Dragon could FTK/OTK, and Mekk-Knight Crusadia Avramax could deal with "unaffected by effects" monsters such as Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon. Each of these 3 monsters are also easy to summon with the Umizoomi monsters since Bot is a link-2 while Milli and Geo are link-1s, meaning those 3 could bring each other out and then all be used to bring out either Borreload Dragon, Borrelsword Dragon, or Mekk-Knight Crusadia Avramax, making Umicar a 1-card link-4 as long as I could summon Milli to one of the extra monster zones, Bot to the main monster zone, and Geo to the other extra monster zone. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31421241

The lesson: Since the monsters are all hard once per turn with restrictions, none of them can use more than 1 of their effects per turn, and none of the archetype's spells search or generate advantage on their own, meaning I don't have to make any of them hard once per turn since their restrictions are enough, this is a better way to design searchers and advantage-generators than what Konami did with Eldlich, Sky Striker, and Invoked, 3 archetypes each with multiple different accessible cards that could all generate advantage on their own.
Each of this archetype's monsters, main deck and extra deck, have the hard once per turn common mechanic of bringing out another one of it's extra deck monsters, and this common mechanic keeps the archetype together while Dual Avatar lacks a common mechanic or enough consistency to keep it together.
Unlike Evil Twin, all of this archetype's cards are useful and this archetype has some simple but fairly strong boards it wants to end on: Either an extra linked Milli, Geo, and Bot (who will have access to a hard once per turn omni-negate due to being extra linked), or maybe the fusion monster or one of the link-4s.

Wii Fit

Intro: The last custom single/dual monster archetype of mine I'll be showcasing, and I must wrap this up since I'm running out of characters (duelingbook's forum disallows posts longer than 60,000 characters, so this last archetype's summaries will be short).
This single monster archetype focuses on adopting different positions like you do in regular yoga, then "rewarding" you for each time you got monsters into the defensive position, letting you add specific stuff to your hand during the end phase for each of the instances where attack positions were changed to defense position that turn. Since link monster's can't change battle positions, this archetype's spells also punish the use of link monsters.

The performance: https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31424431
This is how the archetype generally performs, though this replay probably shouldn't count since I made an illegal play and didn't realize it until multiple turns later, so I slightly nerfed Wii Fit Trainer so she no longer special summons herself from the hand if her condition was met, and instead only from the graveyard if her condition was met.
I had another duel, this time trying not to make any more illegal plays or misplays. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31440902
After that, I made more nerfs to my archetype, this time making it so each of it's continuous spells could only activate 1 of it's effects per turn and only once that turn, instead of being able to activate both effects once per turn. Then I tested them once more, and this time they felt right. https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=58994-31441459

The lesson: This archetype's cards are much less abusable than those of Eldlich, Sky Striker, and Invoked due to it's restrictions and reliance on changing battle positions, and all of this archetype's cards are worth running at 3, unlike Evil Twin and Dual Avatar's cards.
Last edited by Christen57 on Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james123
Mood:

Post #2 by james123 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:06 pm

I showed the thread to speedsterduelist and he said he never made an Archetype that involves 1 or 2 monsters

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #3 by DarwisBellium92 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:38 pm

Meh, i prefer my unique and original custom archetypes: War Ally, War Dragon, Mining Mek, Schrodinger, Electro/Electropylon, Darkfuture, Dragon of Chaos, Adamantine, Oblivion, Georuler, Faberge Dragon etc...
Im cardmaker pioneer with 15 years experience, KONAMI member illustrator and 360 degrees artist
Albaz/Branded and Gem-Knight/Tearlaments/Shaddoll player

"Not crediting an artist for your crappy custom cards is a world crime."
Cit.

Christen57

Post #4 by Christen57 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:24 am

james123 wrote:I showed the thread to speedsterduelist and he said he never made an Archetype that involves 1 or 2 monsters

You let him know what single/dual monster archetype means right? The term will be confusing to those who've never heard it. It doesn't mean the entire archetype is just 1 or 2 monsters. It usually means the archetype has no more than 2 main deck monsters. That's it. The archetype can still have a bunch of spells/traps and/or extra deck monsters and still be a single/dual monster archetype, as long as it has 1 or 2 main deck monsters and no more main deck monsters than that.

An archetype can also be considered single/dual monster even if it has more than 2 main deck monsters, but the archetype primarily focuses on just 1 or 2 of it's main deck monsters, like in the case of Sky Striker, an archetype with technically 2 main deck monsters but still considered a single monster archetype due to Raye being the primary main deck monster and Roze not really seeing play.

Single/dual monster archetypes are challenging to balance than regular archetypes with more than 2 main deck monsters because instead of the main deck monsters having a common mechanic, it's often the spells/traps, the extra deck monsters, or both, that have the common mechanic. Either that or the archetype has no common mechanic due to having so few cards so they end up needing really powerful cards or consistency boosting to be decent. Also, Konami themselves are still fairly new to designing single/dual monster archetypes, and they've screwed up quite a bit, and in order to balance a single/dual monster archetype, you need to know about the already-existing single/dual monster archetypes so you can adjust the power of your own archetype accordingly.

greg503

Post #5 by greg503 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:23 pm

DarwisBellium92 wrote:Meh, i prefer my unique and original custom archetypes: War Ally, War Dragon, Mining Mek, Schrodinger, Electro/Electropylon, Darkfuture, Dragon of Chaos, Adamantine, Oblivion, Georuler, Faberge Dragon etc...

War Ally: Private at best.
War Dragon: Private at best, a few other creators have made monsters with that in its name.
Mining Mek: 1 public Synchro!
Schrodinger: Private at best, with 2 anime cards using Schrodinger in their names and a few other custom cards.
Electropylon: Private at best, with Electro being quite common.
Darkfuture: Private at best.
Dragon of Chaos: Private at best, a few other creators have made monsters with that in its name.
Adamantine: Private at best, with an anime cards using Adamantine in its names and a few other custom cards.
Oblivion: Private at best, others have made archetypes named this.
Georuler: Private at best.
Faberge Dragon: Private at best.
Not making your archetypes public, what are you, Italian CrystalMusic?
Buy Floowandereeze

Renji Asuka

Post #6 by Renji Asuka » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:37 pm

greg503 wrote:
DarwisBellium92 wrote:Meh, i prefer my unique and original custom archetypes: War Ally, War Dragon, Mining Mek, Schrodinger, Electro/Electropylon, Darkfuture, Dragon of Chaos, Adamantine, Oblivion, Georuler, Faberge Dragon etc...

From the way he acts, I'd say yes. Probably not as toxic tho.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #7 by DarwisBellium92 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:01 pm

Fuck yours, retards!
Futuregamer is NOT best cardmaker on internet.
Own rules are wrong.
I have 14 years of cardmaker experiences and i create irl my archetypes, yours... tsk... go learn, lowers!

PS: My Schrodinger is a DARK Psychic with autoself banish and... ALL Mining Mek Synchro request a "The Mining Arcanum" as Tuner.
Loser!
Im cardmaker pioneer with 15 years experience, KONAMI member illustrator and 360 degrees artist

Cit.

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #8 by DarwisBellium92 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:08 pm

greg503 wrote:

War Ally: Private at best.
War Dragon: Private at best, a few other creators have made monsters with that in its name.
Mining Mek: 1 public Synchro!
Schrodinger: Private at best, with 2 anime cards using Schrodinger in their names and a few other custom cards.
Electropylon: Private at best, with Electro being quite common.
Darkfuture: Private at best.
Dragon of Chaos: Private at best, a few other creators have made monsters with that in its name.
Adamantine: Private at best, with an anime cards using Adamantine in its names and a few other custom cards.
Oblivion: Private at best, others have made archetypes named this.
Georuler: Private at best.
Faberge Dragon: Private at best.

No
You are paranoic, logic

Cit.

greg503

Post #9 by greg503 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:05 pm

DarwisBellium92 wrote:Fuck yours, retards!
Own rules are wrong.
I have 14 years of cardmaker experiences and i create irl my archetypes, yours... tsk... go learn, lowers!

PS: My Schrodinger is a DARK Psychic with autoself banish and... ALL Mining Mek Synchro request a "The Mining Arcanum" as Tuner.
Loser!

Leading by example is a good way to teach, if you want to teach us how to be better card makers, then let us see your cards, if they're so good.
Buy Floowandereeze

Slitina

Post #10 by Slitina » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:26 pm

greg503 wrote:
Own rules are wrong.

Loser!

Leading by example is a good way to teach, if you want to teach us how to be better card makers, then let us see your cards, if they're so good.

https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=29489176 say no more.
Reincarnate from the flames! Reincarnation Link Summon! Be reborn! Link 3 Salamangreat Heatleo! Image

greg503

Post #11 by greg503 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:41 pm

Slitina wrote:
greg503 wrote:
Own rules are wrong.

Loser!

Oh boy, I get to say that War Gift should target alongside discarding a card for cost AND that you use semicolons after costs, normal colons are for conditions. The kayfabe intensifies.
Buy Floowandereeze

Renji Asuka

Post #12 by Renji Asuka » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:58 pm

Own rules are wrong.

Loser!

That escalated very quickly. And to think, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and you go and do me dirty by acting like this...bruh...

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #13 by DarwisBellium92 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:05 pm

At the end of the day, you always criticize me badly, just because you think of that useless stereotype of the Italian who is idiot, stupid etc... you are wrong, I am not like that, because you do not know the word respect and do sti fucking War Customs between cardmakers, we want to end it or not?

And that's it, bye.

Cit.

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #14 by DarwisBellium92 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:14 pm

greg503 wrote:
Slitina wrote:
greg503 wrote:Leading by example is a good way to teach, if you want to teach us how to be better card makers, then let us see your cards, if they're so good.

Oh boy, I get to say that War Gift should target alongside discarding a card for cost AND that you use semicolons after costs, normal colons are for conditions. The kayfabe intensifies.

Wrong!
War Gift is OPT

Cit.

Renji Asuka

Post #15 by Renji Asuka » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:52 pm

DarwisBellium92 wrote:At the end of the day, you always criticize me badly, just because you think of that useless stereotype of the Italian who is idiot, stupid etc... you are wrong, I am not like that, because you do not know the word respect and do sti fucking War Customs between cardmakers, we want to end it or not?

And that's it, bye.

I recommend to stop doing drugs man.

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #16 by DarwisBellium92 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:55 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
DarwisBellium92 wrote:At the end of the day, you always criticize me badly, just because you think of that useless stereotype of the Italian who is idiot, stupid etc... you are wrong, I am not like that, because you do not know the word respect and do sti fucking War Customs between cardmakers, we want to end it or not?

And that's it, bye.

Dude... I'm clean... besides, this is a beautiful and serious offense.
-_-

Cit.

Renji Asuka

Post #17 by Renji Asuka » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:00 pm

DarwisBellium92 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:

And that's it, bye.

Dude... I'm clean... besides, this is a beautiful and serious offense.
-_-

I highly doubt that from the way you're acting. Especially when you cry racism where none existed.

greg503

Post #18 by greg503 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:18 pm

DarwisBellium92 wrote:
greg503 wrote:

Wrong!
War Gift is OPT

It is, I said that both discarding a card and targeting a card are costs. So both of those costs should be at the front of the card text with a semicolon (there is a colon there according to the replay). The other spell you opened seems to be written just fine, so yes, I did cherrypick that card. Stuff like this is why I'm convinced you're acting like you have years of experience.
Buy Floowandereeze

Christen57

Post #19 by Christen57 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:32 pm

greg503 wrote:
Slitina wrote:
greg503 wrote:Leading by example is a good way to teach, if you want to teach us how to be better card makers, then let us see your cards, if they're so good.

Kayfabe?

greg503

Post #20 by greg503 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:33 pm

Christen57 wrote:
greg503 wrote:

Kayfabe?

Synonymous with "acting"
Buy Floowandereeze

Return to “Custom Cards”