My first archetype - Ephemeral

Post your custom made cards in this forum
skand30

My first archetype - Ephemeral

Post #1 by skand30 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:46 pm

https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=7856171
SO!
This is my first time posting, and my first legit custom archetype. I've been wanting to share these and get some feedback on both the effects as well as PSCT on them. Hopefully you enjoy the idea!
(Also sorry for any mistakes - English isn't my first language and I can type, anyway xD)
To summarize the deck itself: It's an archetype comprised of WIND monsters with different types and levels. The level 1-4 monster all have similar effects - they can tribute themselves to negate sth, then perform an additional action. Kind of like Psy-Frames, I guess, but the opponent knows exactly, what and when you can negate. Mimosa, being the strongest one (effect literally copy-pasted from Solemn Warning) has the weakest additional effect - gaining you 1000 LP, which can be useful, but isn't crazy. Mayfly negates Spells and burns for 1000, Bell negates Traps and draws a card, and Spark negates attacks, then searches a Spell/Trap by discarding a card. Spark and Bell both have a bit stronger secondary effects, since trigerring them is a bit harder.
There is one more monster in the archetype - Spirit. He is the boss monster of the archetype, summoning itself in a manner reminiscent of Darkest Diabolos. He exisits to give the deck an actual win condition and some beatdown ability. He can also negate the effects of one card on the field - I admit, I just had no idea what other effect he could have. If you have a good idea, please share it with me, as I am dying for some feedback xD
Memory of the Distant Past is an unsearchable consistency booster - basically Vessel for the Dragon Cycle for the deck. It dumps Spirit into the grave and searches a guy. If the deck is too powerful this is probably the card to change, but I thought it should be fine, since the deck doesn't put that big of a board, so it should at least be consistent xD
Now, the targets you search with Spark are Impression, Sunshine and Gust.
Gust is a Compulse-like trap that bounces a bigger monster back to the hand, triggering Spirit in the process. Figured I could use a way to tribute Bell if the opponent isn't running Traps as well as a way to deal with a board.
Sunshine is a field spell that protects Ephemerals from targeting and has an Ignition effects to tribute a WIND to summon a different Ephemeral from the hand or GY.
And finally, there is the heart and soul of the deck - Impression. A continuous spell with two effects, of which only one can be used each turn. The main one allows you to summon a different Ephemeral after one of them is tributed. Automatically, Impression becomes the best card in the deck - it can give you quick access to Spirit, if you need a big body, Mimosa to stop a Normal Summon... Hell, if I worded it the way I wanted, it can help you come back form Nibiru!... Not that you would trigger it, anyway. The deck will summon 4 monsters at most during a turn (normal summon, Impression, Sunshine and Spirit). Impression's second effect provides some recovery and makes sure you don't run out of names in the deck. Impression was pretty much the card that started the idea of the archetype, and the entire deck was built to work with it.
Sooo... If you read all of this, thank you. Once again, feel free to give feedback in the comments. Should I change some effect? Re-word it so it actually works? Give some restrictions, so that it can't be abused in some other decks? Or should I scrap the whole idea altogether and focus on my studies? Let me know down below ;)

(Also, how in Parshath's name do i post images)

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #2 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:26 pm

Deck is always capitalized, all of your cards have the error of it not being capitalized.
If an "Ephemeral" monster you control is Tributed (except during the Damage Step): You can Special Summon this card from your GY (if it was there when you Tributed) or hand (even if not). During the Main Phase (Quick Effect): Target 1 card on the field; Negate its effects. You can only use each effect of "Ephemeral Spirit"

It appears you aren't even finished typing ephemeral spirit's effect i suppose.

Also its effect to target a card and negate the effects needs to say "You can", as in optional. Also, after semi-colon's, words that aren't stuff like Normal or Special Summon, are not capitalized. Which is also on ephemeral spirit.
You also mention another card thats supposed to be a "boss" of your archetype, but its not in this link you've posted, so there's really not much to go off of.
b

skand30

Post #3 by skand30 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 pm

Neo_Fire_Sonic wrote:You also mention another card thats supposed to be a "boss" of your archetype, but its not in this link you've posted, so there's really not much to go off of.

Well, Spirit is the one that's supposed to be the boss. As I said, I designed it to be similar to Darkest Diabolos - a recurrable beatstick with a nice effect.
Neo_Fire_Sonic wrote:It appears you aren't even finished typing ephemeral spirit's effect i suppose.

What do you mean? It is finished, technically. I just thought it was a bit uninspired and thought about changing it, but had no good ideas xD
EDIT: I realized what you meant, I didn't finish the OPT clause :lol:

Thank you very much for the help with PSCT, I think I fixed them :D

Futuregamer

Post #4 by Futuregamer » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:00 pm

It's at that weird place where the cards are op but the deck is completely ineffective. Other than Spirit, you get at most 1 summon per turn. All the opponent has to do is not trigger the effect of the one monster you'll have on the field each time. Spirit quick-effect permanegating a card is pretty op, but given that Spark, the most mandatory of them, will trigger in the Battle Phase, it's not really an issue.

skand30

Post #5 by skand30 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:43 pm

Futuregamer wrote:It's at that weird place where the cards are op but the deck is completely ineffective.

Yeah, I've been trying out a Symphonic Warrior engine for more swarming, with ok results xD
I think sth like a level 5 that can summon itself from the hand by tributing a guy can make the deck more effective, just need to find a way to nerf the effects somehow xD Some sort of a requirement, other than just tributing itself? Maybe?
Also, yeah, I think I need to change the effect on Spirit. Not even because of balance, but I just feel like another negation effect in the deck is just boring.

Return to “Custom Cards”