Custom Archetype "Filmen Genus": Ritual Pendulums based on Film Genres

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Saraak
Mood:

Custom Archetype "Filmen Genus": Ritual Pendulums based on Film Genres

Post #1 by Saraak » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:14 pm

Hi, this will be the fourth custom archetype I've made, and it's a Ritual Pendulum archetype. Now, I'm sure this concept's been done to death, I still wanted to give my own take on it. I've spent the better part of five hours or so trying to work out how a Ritual Pendulum deck might work, but it got confusing after a while. It just kept bricking, until I added the Impcantation engine (which I realize all Ritual decks use nowadays), which boosted its consistency but not by very much, mostly due to a complete lack of Ritual Spells. As a result, only half of those cards are viable enough to be used in the deck (see Sample Deck below).

The Theme of the archetype came first when making it (I know, not a good sign but bear with me). It's based around the eight Film genres (hence the name, "Filmen Genus"). Oh, and the field spell as the Cinema and the quickplay spell as film Piracy. I tried having complete latin translation of the film genre names, but I scrapped that idea because they looked dumb, and ended up just making them sound like names

The archetype is very simple, as an idea, but became slightly complicated as I tried bringing it to light. A Ritual Pendulum monster activates as a scale (which follows the same inverse scale-to-level scheme that the Doremichord monsters have, as side-inspiration), which you can use as a ritual spell (hence why only half the Impcantation monsters work here, as there are only Ritual Monsters) to ritual summon any "Filmen Genus" Ritual Monster from your hand. In addition, if you had activated the field spell via Romancia, it becomes a free Ritual Summon (only once per turn).

Half the monsters have effects relating to being Pendulum Summoned and the other half need to be Ritual Summoned for their effects.

Ritual Summoning is good here because the field spell gives them all passive battle protection. However, all of them, if Ritual Summoned, destroy themselves by your next Standby Phase. This was intentionally done so that the player can choose to either Pendulum or Ritual Summon them. Due to how I've worded the effects on these monsters, you can only Ritual Summon if you haven't Pendulum Summoned yet. This isn't an issue on the first turn, but later in the duel, you'll have to make a conscious choice to Pendulum or Ritual Summon.

All in all, you set up Ritual Monsters on your first turn, and then Pendulum them back next turn, ideally.

Art Source: All the card art is from an artist on Deviantart who goes by the name of yuchenghong.

Cards: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=7832401

Sample Deck: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=7832364

Replays: https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=621063-27339971 (EDIT: Defunct due to me being a dum-dum and misunderstanding the Impcantations' eff activating by being Special Summoned from the Deck and not just being Special Summoned in general)

Possible Play (involving the Impcantation engine). Discard Romancia to activate Cinemato. Special Summon the two Impcantations (Talismandra and Pencilplume are the only ones that can viably work here) and add any "Filmen Genus" monster to your hand. Now you can what you added as a scale and use its scale eff to Ritual Summon any "Filmen Genus" Ritual Monster free of charge (due to Cinemato eff). You can use the remainder of your hand (which hopefully has at least 2 more ritual monsters, ideally the Level 8, Scale 1) to use the Impcantations on the field as tribute.

However, that's pretty much the best you can make with the Sample Deck, unless I'm tripping and miss a combo because of a hypothetical card I didn't know existed. I don't think the archetype is busted, but I've been wrong before. The deck is very minus on card advantage without the field spell.
An aggregate of all my Custom Cards: https://forum.duelingbook.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14930
I'm open to being criticized. I'm not a perfect human being who knows when or where he fucked up, but truly willing to learn.

Saraak
Mood:

Post #2 by Saraak » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:58 am

Edit, much of the previous replays have become defunc as the Archetype has overgone an overhaul. I've now tried to incorporate it in a combo deck that makes use of Deskbot+Auroradan and Selene+Veiler (which works the best due to Pendulum cards counting as Spells).

The archetype still relies on the field spell to replace the cost for RItual Summoning them, but it also serves a dual function. The Field now allows them to circumvent the cost for their effects, much like how the Ursarctic field spell works. Pendulum Scales have also been reworked so that the total additive of Levels and Pendulum Scales is 8, instead of the previous 9.

I've included a replay containing much of my test hands for the new Sample Deck, but please ignore the first "combo" because that was just an Auroradon combo. Also, I have no idea how to do an Auroradon combo so most of that was me fumbling around. However, the potential of the deck should be visible. The most it ended up doing was summoning the Nepthys Link monster with 3 materials alongside a 2-mat Apollousa.

Though, the only gripe I have with the deck so far is that it feels... generic. I might have to try rework this archetype again later down the line, maybe next week when I'm free. For now, it looks like this is what the archetype can do.
An aggregate of all my Custom Cards: https://forum.duelingbook.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14930
I'm open to being criticized. I'm not a perfect human being who knows when or where he fucked up, but truly willing to learn.

james123
Mood:

Post #3 by james123 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:19 pm

You know what else is a Ritual Pendulum Archetype, MY MOM! Because I'm just saying something about the lack of Regular Effect monsters and making Dick-wadbellium69 pissed because i stole his career of criticizing some Custom Cards

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #4 by DarwisBellium92 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:59 pm

james123 wrote:You know what else is a Ritual Pendulum Archetype, MY MOM! Because I'm just saying something about the lack of Regular Effect monsters and making Dick-wadbellium69 pissed because i stole his career of criticizing some Custom Cards

Sorry?
Im cardmaker pioneer with 15 years experience, KONAMI member illustrator and 360 degrees artist
Albaz/Branded and Gem-Knight/Tearlaments/Shaddoll player

"Not crediting an artist for your crappy custom cards is a world crime."
Cit.

james123
Mood:

Post #5 by james123 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:41 pm

DarwisBellium92 wrote:
james123 wrote:You know what else is a Ritual Pendulum Archetype, MY MOM! Because I'm just saying something about the lack of Regular Effect monsters and making Dick-wadbellium69 pissed because i stole his career of criticizing some Custom Cards

Sorry?

I'm just taking your Place

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #6 by DarwisBellium92 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:32 am

james123 wrote:
DarwisBellium92 wrote:

Sorry?

You are wrong! It means I'm a degenerate like that when I'm not.
If you think so, you are completely wrong with your pointless drama and plagiarism.
Im cardmaker pioneer with 15 years experience, KONAMI member illustrator and 360 degrees artist

Cit.

Saraak
Mood:

Post #7 by Saraak » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:35 pm

Respectfully, I'm gonna ask that the two of you stop using this particular part of the forum to start another flame-war.
This place is meant for discussion specifically about the Custom Card archetype.

Thank you.

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #8 by DarwisBellium92 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Saraak wrote:Respectfully, I'm gonna ask that the two of you stop using this particular part of the forum to start another flame-war.
This place is meant for discussion specifically about the Custom Card archetype.

Thank you.

Look, James started insulting me.
I want to give you some advice but be treated like shit by other people all the time, just because I have been creating custom cards for 14 years and in my country I am considered as a pioneer, I do not accept this.

You search advices and tips, send me in DM, is better.

Cit.

Renji Asuka

Post #9 by Renji Asuka » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 pm

Saraak wrote:Respectfully, I'm gonna ask that the two of you stop using this particular part of the forum to start another flame-war.

Thank you.

*passes popcorn* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

greg503

Post #10 by greg503 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:24 pm

DarwisBellium92 wrote:
james123 wrote:
DarwisBellium92 wrote:Sorry?

If you think so, you are completely wrong with your pointless drama and plagiarism.

It is an overdramatization, but I think you have a problem with being gatekeepy about customs, given that most of your first responses to others' customs are unhelpful insults.
Buy Floowandereeze

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #11 by DarwisBellium92 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:31 pm

greg503 wrote:
DarwisBellium92 wrote:
james123 wrote:I'm just taking your Place

It is an overdramatization, but I think you have a problem with being gatekeepy about customs, given that most of your first responses to others' customs are unhelpful insults.

Good!
If you think so you have already the wrong person and you are misunderstanding what I am saying.
I disagree on some things in custom cards, that's all.
Oh right, my Italian friends tell me that the custom card is mishandled by toxic players, huh? The truth hurts eh ... if I may say one of my own: duelingbook is not made to make the real custom card cardmaker.

Bye

Cit.

james123
Mood:

Post #12 by james123 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:12 pm

DarwisBellium92 wrote:
james123 wrote:
DarwisBellium92 wrote:Sorry?

Chill, Chill! I'm, just trying copy you!

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #13 by DarwisBellium92 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:38 pm

james123 wrote:
DarwisBellium92 wrote:
james123 wrote:I'm just taking your Place

Chill, Chill! I'm, just trying copy you!

Is continue you.... its useless...

Cit.

greg503

Post #14 by greg503 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:15 pm

DarwisBellium92 wrote:Oh right, my Italian friends tell me that the custom card is mishandled by toxic players, huh? The truth hurts eh ... if I may say one of my own: duelingbook is not made to make the real custom card cardmaker.

So stop treating it as such and let people play with their toys.
Buy Floowandereeze

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #15 by DarwisBellium92 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:11 pm

greg503 wrote:
DarwisBellium92 wrote:Oh right, my Italian friends tell me that the custom card is mishandled by toxic players, huh? The truth hurts eh ... if I may say one of my own: duelingbook is not made to make the real custom card cardmaker.

So stop treating it as such and let people play with their toys.

How childish you are, but grow up!
I am on my own.

Cit.

Renji Asuka

Post #16 by Renji Asuka » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:57 pm

You know, I feel that DarwisBellium92 has a conversation by himself and doesn't actually read what is told to them then proceeds to spout out bullshit and a victim card.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Slitina

Post #17 by Slitina » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:36 am

Renji Asuka wrote:You know, I feel that DarwisBellium92 has a conversation by himself and doesn't actually read what is told to them then proceeds to spout out bullshit and a victim card.

I mean he is Italian CrystalMusic after all.
Reincarnate from the flames! Reincarnation Link Summon! Be reborn! Link 3 Salamangreat Heatleo! Image

Return to “Custom Cards”