My experience in customs.

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Renji Asuka

My experience in customs.

Post #1 by Renji Asuka » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:32 am

Now, disclaimer, I have not actually sat down and played yugioh against another player (seriously) since MR3 as, I was really mad cause Konami killed my Metalfoe deck because of banlist then MR4. That aside, since MR4 from when Customs were introduced, I have played for a few months consistently in customs. My first archetype was a Pyro Archetype that was all about Synchro Climbing, unfortunately, I realized really quickly, that it was TERRIBLE. Like not even rogue deck players would play this deck. That is how bad it was.

But as I grew to the environment of customs, seeing people play cards so unbalanced, I couldn't believe people even thought some of these cards were acceptable. So, I would always voice my opinion on the person's card and what I would do. I also realized, despite some people playing yugioh for at least a year, none of these players (or very few) could even use proper PSCT. Now I won't ever claim that my PSCT was "good", as my PSCT was a weird hybrid of new and old PSCT (if that makes any sense). I have learned how to do proper PSCT, though I do make some tiny mistakes sometimes.

I then came to the realization that customs has no ceiling or a max capacity of "broken". I then started creating cards that would either be on par with everyone else or exceed their busted cards, and it was a viscous cycle. People would whine at me cause of my broken cards while they had just as broken cards.

So I had joined a custom card discord community that was run by Magi, I had also joined a few custom card discords since then, and I kept seeing the same problems with these discords. The idea of trying to balance all these decks that would be submitted or approved, just weren't feasible. I seen decks that were so underwhelming they were denied strictly because on paper, they were "too good". On the other hand, I seen decks that were approved because they didn't seem to be "good", but in fact, were too good. I had also seen decks that were approved that were designed in such an intricate way that, they couldn't be errata'd without killing the deck, yet everyone else's approved deck couldn't beat it. I seen my own deck that was once approved, be forced to take a nerf despite other decks that existed were far more powerful than mine.

In other discords, I seen the "Approval Teams" flat out say "Delete this", because they thought a deck was so OP, when all it really needed was to be toned down, despite the deck not being as good as they thought. They refused to give any form of criticism. It was at that moment, I realized these "Approval Teams", were just a sham. If they didn't like you, your stuff would never be approved or be given a chance. So I left, there was no way I could be in that kind of environment.

I then came to the realization that, these kinds of environments weren't healthy for my mental state, I mean it was good connecting with a community, but it was way too limiting towards my creativity. I had to abandon these communities to stretch my wings and try new things. I had also realized that everyone has a different sense of balance. For me, I only see a deck being "broken" or a card being "busted", if it has little to no reasonable counter play. And with Customs being an ever growing card pool, its really hard to create a deck around any kind of "meta".

Then I went into another custom card discord just to give them a chance, maybe I would find like minded individuals who would value freedom and genuinely help each other with card design. That was short lived when I saw they didn't even care about PSCT. I left when I saw that. I wanted to take customs a bit seriously strictly for PSCT purposes, and help with card balance that wouldn't be as limiting as what I experienced previously.

I then stopped caring about customs entirely and about yugioh entirely. I mean I love the game, but there is no drive for me to even play the game. https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=1766586 this was the last card I made, I posted it on the Main Menu some time back, where a person did a copy/pasta saying the main menu wasn't a place for feedback and that kind of crap (regarding PSCT and balancing), despite me
just posting it to get people's opinion on the idea of the mechanic. I never turned it into anything serious as it was a one off, I know customs is typically hated on Main Menu, but it sucks cause it'd be cool to actually spark discussions about unique deck ideas, and stuff like that gets thrown around.

But yeah, just wanted to share my Custom's Experience before I went to bed.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #2 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:28 am

here's my experience

just duel people who speak properly and know the rules and don't cheat
b

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #3 by CrystalMusic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:42 am

my first experience of customs was nothing short than what i suspected to happen: people making cards that say "i win". its one of the reasons i made my "Denied" card to forbid alt victories of any kind from being claimed.

now im not gonna lie, i have made some really powerful cards myself (its why i have been asking for help balancing as of late) but its the insta wins, imo, that ruin the fun of customs. from my experince, most custom players use spam summon with no cost or downside. me? i tend to add in the following costs or downsides to any monster that has a SS upon NS effect:
- requires me to pay 500 to 750 LP
- forbids me from summoning other cards not of the same type. for example i have a card called phelo secret crest, she basically requires 500 lp upon her summon to ss a level 4 beast-warrior from my hand, then i cant summon anything but beast-warriors for the remainder of the turn.
(This is excluding my paladin deck as i made this to give FREE spam summoners a taste of their own medicine)

due to the limitless amount of FREE spam summon i see in customs, its one of the reasons i have a 1 turn stun in most of my decks that makes it so u have to wait till your next turn to be able to activate/resolve a summoned monsters effect (unless it costs you a min of 500 LP and restricts what ur allowed to summon) and forbids it from attacking till next turn.

but nothing, imo, compares to the people who make cards made to counter specific players. like theres no point. if u dont like the player: block them and move on. no need to make a card designed to counter specificly named player(s) entirely.

heres my denied card in case ur interested: https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=568850
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #4 by LightCaster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:56 am

So, in summary: You're annoyed that people are calling your broken cards bad because they lack PSCT which is not an inaccurate statement and wish people will simply lay off and let you make your own shit. Which, okay, I guess is understandable? However, you are so passionate about your ideas that you refuse to let anyone expand on those ideas.

Your issue is not everyone else. Your issue is you're not accepting the criticism and dismissing it as "hindering you" or whatever.

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #5 by CrystalMusic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:39 am

LightCaster wrote:So, in summary: You're annoyed that people are calling your broken cards bad because they lack PSCT which is not an inaccurate statement and wish people will simply lay off and let you make your own shit. Which, okay, I guess is understandable? However, you are so passionate about your ideas that you refuse to let anyone expand on those ideas.

Your issue is not everyone else. Your issue is you're not accepting the criticism and dismissing it as "hindering you" or whatever.

in english? (aka in short)
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

KTeknis

Post #6 by KTeknis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:42 am

I have interest in badly designed custom cards.
You saw these cards as terrible, I saw them as ideas.

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #7 by CrystalMusic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:44 am

KTeknis wrote:Image

what????

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #8 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:48 am

b

KTeknis

Post #9 by KTeknis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:51 am

Welp, might as well share my own experience.
I joined DB because of the youtube videos of DB custom cards. From there i started my path in the custom community. The problem i have is I have this weird dilemma: Every time I defeat someone with my customs, I though my cards are OP, but every time I'm defeated, i though my cards are Underpowered. This makes me reluctant to go all out against my opponent, in fear that they rage quit or something.
Also when I encounter someone with blatantly OP cards, my own sense of kindness don't allow me to say directly about the card's problem, nor I have the ability to chew em out on it.

KTeknis

Post #10 by KTeknis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:51 am

Neo_Fire_Sonic wrote:Image

TOO OUT OF CONTEXT

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #11 by LightCaster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:27 am

CrystalMusic wrote:
LightCaster wrote:So, in summary: You're annoyed that people are calling your broken cards bad because they lack PSCT which is not an inaccurate statement and wish people will simply lay off and let you make your own shit. Which, okay, I guess is understandable? However, you are so passionate about your ideas that you refuse to let anyone expand on those ideas.

oml learn to read... okay, in idiot speak: "You're upset that people don't like your busted cards and don't want to do anything about it."

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #12 by LightCaster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:31 am

You want to post this giant tirade but expect people to respond in like three words.

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #13 by CrystalMusic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:32 am

LightCaster wrote:
CrystalMusic wrote:

oml learn to read... okay, in idiot speak: "You're upset that people don't like your busted cards and don't want to do anything about it."

i know how to read! I wright stories for gods sake! cant wright if u dont know how to read and vice versa. Its called im autistic and some things have to be SIMPLIFED for me to understand it! using high context words or long sentences confuses me. (this is also why my customs are worded the way they are. they are worded in a way where I can understand them)

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #14 by LightCaster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:15 am

CrystalMusic wrote:
LightCaster wrote:
CrystalMusic wrote:

i know how to read! I wright stories for gods sake! cant wright if u dont know how to read and vice versa. Its called im autistic and some things have to be SIMPLIFED for me to understand it! using high context words or long sentences confuses me. (this is also why my customs are worded the way they are. they are worded in a way where I can understand them)

I'll add that to the list of lies and STOP USING AUTISM AS AN EXCUSE. I've had to tell you this several times and it seems I have to explain to you once again is to stop using a self-diagnosed mental disorder as an excuse to act a specific way. I see teenage girls do it on social media for clout. You use it for pity points. Knock it off.

You are not autistic. What you are is an egomaniac and a melomaniac combined with a martyr complex and a god complex wrapped together with a pathological liar to form a man-child who has little to no comprehension of a manga/anime series with a tie-in card game. You want to make custom cards? Word them with proper PSCT and in a way that BOTH YOU AND YOUR OPPONENT can understand because, in case you didn't get the memo. FAIRNESS is what is required when it comes to dueling you, and you don't want that. You want to win and will make the same cards with a different coat of paint on them. All of your cards break your own rules, all of your cards cannot be stopped in some shape or form, and you have rules to ensure your opponent CANNOT IN ANY SHAPE OR COMPREHENSABLE FORM stop you. Even if they tried using the same line of logic as you, you throw a temper tanturm, block them and then try to make a shame post about it on this forum. God only knows how many times you have to have this explained to you before you fucking get it, but you will be told a thousand times and a thousand times more the same god damn things over and over that you are getting annoyed of hearing all the god damn time until you fucking get it, and if you don't then that is YOUR issue. Not ours.

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #15 by CrystalMusic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:26 am

self-diagnosed???? dude my phychiatrist is the one who diagnosed me with autism! Even the state phychiatrist diagnosed me with autism. You are not a certified phychiatrist so you cannot say if im autistic or not. (and if you somehow are, tell me what college you went to, what courses in college you took, how many years it took you, what your degree is, and what company/organization you work for in the field of mental health!)

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #16 by LightCaster » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:36 am

Yes. You're self-diagnosed because no self-respecting person with autism acts the way you do. No neurotypical self-respecting person acts the way you do unless they're naturally a fucking asshole, which is what you are. You act like a dick to anyone you come in contact with and then demand respect and to be taken seriously in return. That's not how this shit works. You don't treat people like crap and then expect to be treated nicely in return, and you have NO other person to blame for that than yourself. Which is a concept that is for some reason foreign to you: Taking actual responsibility for your actions. Not just saying you will and then not doing it, actually looking back at how you've behaved these past 6 god damn years and going "Wow. I'm kinda an asshole." and fixing it, and if this entire six year schtick of you acting like a horrible person to everyone is a joke, then please admit to it because the joke is no longer funny. If this is to mess with people, say it, because you are honestly the most insufferable person I have ever witnessed in my entire life, and I've seen some stupid, self-righteous and impossibly rude people in my life, but by God you are by far the WORST person that I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. When will you get it that respect is EARNED not DEMANDED like you keep trying to do.

KTeknis

Post #17 by KTeknis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:48 am

KTeknis wrote:Image

The prophecy is true....

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #18 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:29 am

KTeknis wrote:
KTeknis wrote:

The prophecy is true....

b

Renji Asuka

Post #19 by Renji Asuka » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:44 am

Neo_Fire_Sonic wrote:here's my experience

just duel people who speak properly and know the rules and don't cheat

In an ideal world, that'd be great :P But can't expect much from randoms lmao

Renji Asuka

Post #20 by Renji Asuka » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:54 am

KTeknis wrote:Welp, might as well share my own experience.
I joined DB because of the youtube videos of DB custom cards. From there i started my path in the custom community. The problem i have is I have this weird dilemma: Every time I defeat someone with my customs, I though my cards are OP, but every time I'm defeated, i though my cards are Underpowered. This makes me reluctant to go all out against my opponent, in fear that they rage quit or something.
Also when I encounter someone with blatantly OP cards, my own sense of kindness don't allow me to say directly about the card's problem, nor I have the ability to chew em out on it.

And that whole thing boils down to everyone having a different sense of balance. I been there. All you can really do is just play the game, or try to have a conversation on what kind of power level you want to play at. Which could be considered too much work. I personally though, if it comes to art, if it uses any form of "real life pics" or artwork that isn't yugioh like. I'll typically leave.

Return to “Custom Cards”