My experience in customs.

Post your custom made cards in this forum
Renji Asuka

Re: My experience in customs.

Post #21 by Renji Asuka » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:59 am

CrystalMusic wrote:my first experience of customs was nothing short than what i suspected to happen: people making cards that say "i win". its one of the reasons i made my "Denied" card to forbid alt victories of any kind from being claimed.

now im not gonna lie, i have made some really powerful cards myself (its why i have been asking for help balancing as of late) but its the insta wins, imo, that ruin the fun of customs. from my experince, most custom players use spam summon with no cost or downside. me? i tend to add in the following costs or downsides to any monster that has a SS upon NS effect:
- requires me to pay 500 to 750 LP
- forbids me from summoning other cards not of the same type. for example i have a card called phelo secret crest, she basically requires 500 lp upon her summon to ss a level 4 beast-warrior from my hand, then i cant summon anything but beast-warriors for the remainder of the turn.
(This is excluding my paladin deck as i made this to give FREE spam summoners a taste of their own medicine)

due to the limitless amount of FREE spam summon i see in customs, its one of the reasons i have a 1 turn stun in most of my decks that makes it so u have to wait till your next turn to be able to activate/resolve a summoned monsters effect (unless it costs you a min of 500 LP and restricts what ur allowed to summon) and forbids it from attacking till next turn.

but nothing, imo, compares to the people who make cards made to counter specific players. like theres no point. if u dont like the player: block them and move on. no need to make a card designed to counter specificly named player(s) entirely.

heres my denied card in case ur interested: https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=568850

My issues with your customs outside of PSCT, is the way you play or the way you think the game should be, with your 50 billion rules that you have been known to change on the fly. If you broke out of that all that bullshit, then I would be more tolerant of your custom cards.

Also, I hate the "anti" or "deny" cards that people shove into their extra deck, because at that point, you're wasting my time, because I rather my opponent to have a tiny bit of faith in that I would have SOME integrity. I straight up leave when that shit happens, even when my decks didn't fall under those conditions. ESPECIALLY when it puts my opponent at a disadvantage in terms of an actual extra deck.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

drquantumscale

Post #22 by drquantumscale » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:00 am

Yeah the situation with customs is a really difficult one. It's almost impossible to make everyone's customs on par with each other because different people have a different opinion about what is considered fun and fair. One person might thing balancing should be about making a deck that would fit within a tier 1, some think tier 2, some people just create cards that make impossible situations because they like the feeling of making that situation for an opponent.

Pretty much the only way you could make a customs community where everything's equal is to make a "Limit" for each situation, such as "a card can't be unaffected by card effects unless it takes x cards to play it." But it's almost impossible to make a limit for every single edge case, as well as the fact that no matter where you put a "limit" at. It's always going to be possible to make a card that exceeds that limit, but is still a bad card. The meta would evolve to make every deck hit each threshold as closely as possible in all categories. Not to mention if it were possible to make a threshold for each edge case, it would likely get to the point where it's so restrictive it would impact the ability to be creative.

Stallock

Post #23 by Stallock » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:45 pm

Well. Sharing my experience. I joined a discord once, about making custom cards, still didn't know that much about PSCT nor about balancing, but I had an idea.
Well, the first card I made was called degenerated, and compares then to other cards that are broken. The judges started a war talking about unfair cards. Then, I asked for advice, to tell me what was wrong with the card and they just said it was degenerated, that I shouldn't make cards and that they are "professional" and shouldn't question them.

I quitted that discord. Being honest, a discord where the mods treat newbies like that is just unhealthy.

Luckily enough, I got some from forums, and I was pointed out that the card in question was actually underpower. Also, they taught me proper PSCT, explained me how to write and what made a card broken. And it really helped out that noone insulted me or told me to just stop.

Return to “Custom Cards”