An Ode to Mystic Mine

Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
troglyte
Mood:

An Ode to Mystic Mine

Post #1 by troglyte » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:35 pm

Mystic Mine is a well balanced field spell. One which I believe Konami should remember when designing field spells in the future. Field Spells should have a worldly effect on the battlefield. They should be cards that people would want to build around. Zombie World and Necrovalley are also great examples of Field Spell design perfection. They are WORDLY in their effects, they affect both players equally. And the deck building skill manifests in how players build around those worldly effects.

Mystic Mine is no different in this regard. Mystic Mine decks are created by people practicing healthy deck-building habits. They take a card/strategy, and build their deck around that strategy. In this case, it's locking the opponent out of playing while they can bide their time with whatever degenerate strategy they are trying to achieve, be it burn, exodia, final countdown, you name it. Like it or not, this is healthy deck design in action.

Field Spells should not be one-sided. Mystic Mine is not a one-sided card by itself. It only appears one-sided because people design their decks so they don't suffer from the card's effects as much as their opponent. But let me tell you about field spells that ARE one-sided on their own. Take a look at Sky Iris, Diagram, Tricktar Lightstage, even Charging Gaia. All of these cards affect/benefit only ONE player: the person who plays it. They lack the WORLDLY effects of the field spells that I previously discussed. They aren't field warping cards, they're just another search card that helps the machine that is your deck function. Honestly, these cards would be better off as Continuous Spells. Given this trend on field spell card design, I'm shocked that Tenki IS NOT a field spell. It fits all the criteria for one.

In conclusion, Field Spells have very much lost what made them special in the first place. Most of them are just glorified searches that only benefit one player. And Mystic Mine is simply a return to form of that WORLDLY impact that Field Spells should have on the game. And finally, Dragonic Diagram is a terribly designed card and every copy of it should be torched.
Crab Turtle respects your pronouns.
he/him
Sign the Crab Turtle petition here! http://chng.it/J4rvHFFfZG

Return to “Spam Paradise”