Tips on balancing ATK & DEF when it comes to Custom Monsters

Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
CrystalMusic
Mood:

Tips on balancing ATK & DEF when it comes to Custom Monsters

Post #1 by CrystalMusic » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:22 pm

i see alot of ppl make custom level 1 - 4 monsters with unbalanced ATK and DEF based on its level
no level 1 - 4 should have: ATK/2000, DEF/2000 (if the ATK is higher than 1600 the DEF should be lower than the ATK - Example: ATK/1800, DEF/1200 or less, Example 2: ATK/1900, DEF/1100 or less)

When I make custom level 1 - 4's i normally go with the following for my stats:
Example #1: ATK/1800, DEF/1200
Example #2: ATK/1600, DEF/1600
Example #3: ATK/0 DEF/2200
Example #4: ATK/1400, DEF/1750
Example #5: ATK 1900, DEF/800

Reffer to real level 1 - 4 cards to check for balanced ATK and DEF when making custom level 1 - 4 monsters.
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #2 by LightCaster » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:39 pm

Coming from the guy who can't win a custom duel without making rule changing cards, complains about anything that counters him and being hypocritical about effects and game mechanics to a point of it being laughable. The last thing you should be doing is giving balancing tips. When you start caring about balance and PSCT and not make busted cards all the time. THEN you can gove balancing tips.

Until then, you're the VERY last person to give balancing advice.

Also judging by this: Do you find Destiny Hero Defender OP just because it's a level 4 with 100ATK and 2700DEF?
Last edited by LightCaster on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NiwatoriFTW

Post #3 by NiwatoriFTW » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:41 pm

CrystalMusic wrote:i see alot of ppl make custom level 1 - 4 monsters with unbalanced ATK and DEF based on its level
no level 1 - 4 should have: ATK/2000, DEF/2000 (if the ATK is higher than 1600 the DEF should be lower than the ATK - Example: ATK/1800, DEF/1200 or less, Example 2: ATK/1900, DEF/1100 or less)

When I make custom level 1 - 4's i normally go with the following for my stats:
Example #1: ATK/1800, DEF/1200
Example #2: ATK/1600, DEF/1600
Example #3: ATK/0 DEF/2200
Example #4: ATK/1400, DEF/1750
Example #5: ATK 1900, DEF/800

Reffer to real level 1 - 4 cards to check for balanced ATK and DEF when making custom level 1 - 4 monsters.

Meanwhile, you're using this: https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=200963-17242756

Aurora - The Spirit Girl of Mass Protection
ATK 0 / DEF 2200
When this card is summoned it is changed to defense position.

While this card is on the field: You, your LP and all cards in your hand, in your deck, in your GY and on your side of the field:
- Cannot be Targeted by your opponents cards, effects, costs or conditions.
- Cannot be Tributed by your opponents Cards, Effects, Costs, or Conditions
- Are Unaffected by your opponent's cards, effects, costs and conditions.
(your LP can still be reduced by battle damage, but not Piercing Battle Damage or a card/effect that allows a monster to attack directly)

This card can only be destroyed by battle by a monster whos:
- Original Level is 4
- Original ATK is 2201 or higher
- Original Attribute is WATER
- Original Type is Aqua

The effects of this card cannot be negated.

james123
Mood:

Post #4 by james123 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:14 pm

It doesn't Actually Matter:
If the card has 2000 or more ATK/1000 to 2000 DEF, It means it has a Negative effect
Take Giant Kozaky for Example, He has a High ATK but kills himself without Kozaky....
Elder Entity N'tss has 2500 ATK with no Negative Effect, but the thing is, she starts in the Extra Deck....
It's fine to have a custom card like this https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=1364057 or like this https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=1324708
Because there is no Right or Wrong way to make a Monster....

Nightmare in Reality

Post #5 by Nightmare in Reality » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 pm

You are absolutely the last person who should be talking about "balancing" anything.

Renji Asuka

Post #6 by Renji Asuka » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:34 am

CrystalMusic, you can't even use proper PSCT for your cards or make balanced effects. Hell you can't handle losing so you resort to cheating.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Runzy
Mood:

Post #7 by Runzy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:25 am

Yall are being hella childish if you don't like him don't post on his threads. Smh. Spam paradise is clearly his personal dairy. Yes he makes ridiculous cards so don't duel him if you don't want to face them. Tired of all the needless and childish hate are you guys 5 or something?
DB Judge 20/09/2017. 21/11/2023 - Present.
Retired: 15/12/2021 & 26/12/2022
Konami RC-1 & PC-1 Certified (August 2017)
Konami DC-1 Certified (March 2019)

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #8 by LightCaster » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:35 am

Runzy wrote:Yall are being hella childish if you don't like him don't post on his threads. Smh. Spam paradise is clearly his personal dairy. Yes he makes ridiculous cards so don't duel him if you don't want to face them. Tired of all the needless and childish hate are you guys 5 or something?

So does that make it okay for him to post with replays making fun of people.

Renji Asuka

Post #9 by Renji Asuka » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:40 am

Runzy wrote:Yall are being hella childish if you don't like him don't post on his threads. Smh. Spam paradise is clearly his personal dairy. Yes he makes ridiculous cards so don't duel him if you don't want to face them. Tired of all the needless and childish hate are you guys 5 or something?

So basically, he can't be criticized for his bullshit? Got it...Here is why I post in his threads. Sometimes, (very rarely), does CrystalMusic actually make a good point, other times, he posts bullshit, and bullshit should be called out.

On top of that, CrystalMusic is one of the few people who actually keep the forum alive cause hardly anyone makes new threads or posts outside of him as commonly as he does it. So its mostly to relieve boredom. Also in his latest thread he had made, he straight up already started being hostile to Debt, whom was trying to help him....

Runzy
Mood:

Post #10 by Runzy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:48 am

Renji Asuka wrote:

So basically, he can't be criticized for his bullshit? Got it...Here is why I post in his threads. Sometimes, (very rarely), does CrystalMusic actually make a good point, other times, he posts bullshit, and bullshit should be called out.

On top of that, CrystalMusic is one of the few people who actually keep the forum alive cause hardly anyone makes new threads or posts outside of him as commonly as he does it. So its mostly to relieve boredom. Also in his latest thread he had made, he straight up already started being hostile to Debt, whom was trying to help him....

All you guys do is mostly harass him on like all his threads. You would think if you don't like someone you wouldn't give them attention yet you guys always do so.

Runzy
Mood:

Post #11 by Runzy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:50 am

LightCaster wrote:

Two wrongs doesn't make a right. Sure what he does is bad but you harassing him doesn't make it better it just makes you as bad as him.

Renji Asuka

Post #12 by Renji Asuka » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:54 am

Runzy wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:

All you guys do is mostly harass him on like all his threads. You would think if you don't like someone you wouldn't give them attention yet you guys always do so.

Ignoring issues ISN'T an answer, it NEVER is an answer. And keep in mind, by using your own logic against you, you shouldn't even respond to users responding to Crystal Music if you don't like it. Or do you just want the forum to be his echo chamber?

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #13 by LightCaster » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:58 am

Runzy wrote:
LightCaster wrote:

Two wrongs doesn't make a right. Sure what he does is bad but you harassing him doesn't make it better it just makes you as bad as him.

Well it's also clear we can't do the right thing because the admins keep saying they can't. He "dances on the fine line." so we can report him all we want, but they will say no. So what can we do then? He needs to learn that he's not always right or in the right, a lesson clearly not taught to him before. Right now he's thinking lying is okay, being a hypocrite is okay, blaming mental disabilities that he doesn't have is okay.

We're doing a job someone was clearly lacking in and if he can't accept the consequences of the way he behaves. Then we'll treat him the way he treats everyone else. He wants to treat everyone else like shit? Cool, we'll treat him like shit. White knighting someone who's clearly in the wrong ain't gunna fix things either.

Runzy
Mood:

Post #14 by Runzy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Runzy wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:So basically, he can't be criticized for his bullshit? Got it...Here is why I post in his threads. Sometimes, (very rarely), does CrystalMusic actually make a good point, other times, he posts bullshit, and bullshit should be called out.

Ignoring issues ISN'T an answer, it NEVER is an answer. And keep in mind, by using your own logic against you, you shouldn't even respond to users responding to Crystal Music if you don't like it. Or do you just want the forum to be his echo chamber?

It's becoming an eyesore to see both all his posts and you guys responding to it just to insult him, to be honest, IDK why he thinks this is his personal diary. You doing this changes nothing he will still do what he does so all you are doing is wasting your time and effort. Just saying, old habits die hard. It's more productive to just ignore them and focus on other things.

Runzy
Mood:

Post #15 by Runzy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:11 am

LightCaster wrote:
Runzy wrote:
LightCaster wrote:

Well it's also clear we can't do the right thing because the admins keep saying they can't. He "dances on the fine line." so we can report him all we want, but they will say no. So what can we do then? He needs to learn that he's not always right or in the right, a lesson clearly not taught to him before. Right now he's thinking lying is okay, being a hypocrite is okay, blaming mental disabilities that he doesn't have is okay.

We're doing a job someone was clearly lacking in and if he can't accept the consequences of the way he behaves. Then we'll treat him the way he treats everyone else. He wants to treat everyone else like shit? Cool, we'll treat him like shit. White knighting someone who's clearly in the wrong ain't gunna fix things either.

I mean you guys are probably reporting them for petty things that do not get punished by the rules also for unrated it's mostly just harassment that is mostly handled within that, with trolling etc you can just quit and since it's unrated no rating is lost, others would apply to rated as you can actually lose rating. So you treating him like shit just because he treats others like shit just puts you in the same category for me. I am not white knighting just tired of all you guys childish bs and honestly just want the toxicity removed the forum.

This will be my last post on the topic I don't care anymore as you all will not change your ways anyway why bother. Have a nice day.

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #16 by LightCaster » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:11 am

Runzy wrote:
LightCaster wrote:
Runzy wrote:

I mean you guys are probably reporting them for petty things that do not get punished by the rules also for unrated it's mostly just harassment that is mostly handled within that, with trolling etc you can just quit and since it's unrated no rating is lost, others would apply to rated as you can actually lose rating. So you treating him like shit just because he treats others like shit just puts you in the same category for me. I am not white knighting just tired of all you guys childish bs and honestly just want the toxicity removed the forum.

This will be my last post on the topic I don't care anymore as you all will not change your ways anyway why bother. Have a nice day.

So you're just as egotistical as he is since you're clearly above the rule of: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Or does that ideology not fly with you?

~Gloria~

Post #17 by ~Gloria~ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:40 am

is this another roast crystelmusic session? i totes love a good rousing round of roasting "IT"

Play2X

Post #18 by Play2X » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Roasting IT is definitely fun and necessary every once in a while, but back to the main point. Monster cards shouldn't be merely balanced around ATK and DEF, but also LVL and Effect. I would like to include Type and Attribute as well, but even Konami doesn't do this. Looking at you, Lusterdragon #2. Good ol' times...
Quite honestly, modern Yu-Gi-Oh throws a wrench in most of my older assumptions. Usually, cards with 2000 ATK or 2100 DEF had the other stat really low, but over time, it went up (Koa'ki Meiru Powerhand).
For me, I usually take cards I like as Reference, and just math it out. For example, Dark Magician Girl has 2000/1700 (6), so I went with a value of 2500 ATK+DEF on my cards, and redistributed it accordingly. Like 1800/700 on my strongest attack monster for lvl 4, 500/2000 on my strongest defense monster. How did I get that 2500, you wonder? No real magic. (2000+1700)/6, so we have the number of points per lvl. 617 (rounded) for DMG like cards. Of course, 617 is a really low value, which makes it actually kinda good for effect monsters. Taking a look at other iconic cards: Blue Eyes is at 687.5 per lvl, Dark Magician at 657. Lusterdragon #2 is at a ridiculous 875 per lvl by the way. Then again, Tyr of the Nordic Champions is at 1000 per lvl.

Gosh, this is getting weird to write... uuh, I use roughly a basevalue of rougly 600-700 per lvl for effect monsters (Skystrikers are at 750), and 700-800 for normal monsters, if I make any. Notice however, that this curve isn't linear, lower lvl monsters usually have higher points, higher lvl lower. Also, don't make ATK or DEF higher than 500xLVL without reason and some (negative) effects, or it gets awkward. Also keep in mind, that usually ATK is a tad bit more viable than DEF.

~Gloria~

Post #19 by ~Gloria~ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm

if i had more time to make custom cards, i would sort em into 2 categories. a "For fun" category, where i throw balance out the window or focus on making the card funny.

and a "proper" category, where balance is in fact taken into account for how the card should perform at its star level. makes me go "spunk yes" when a card comes out perfect

Return to “Spam Paradise”