Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer!

Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
CrystalMusic
Mood:

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer!

Post #1 by CrystalMusic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:30 am

Me: *Is hosting a duel with duel note: DM/GX Only*
*accepts player into duel*
Opponent: FTD?
Me: Did my note say FTD?
Opponent: No.
Me: Well, theres your answer!
Opponent: ....
Me: you asked a stupid question, youre gonna get a stupid answer!
Opponent: *Quits*

This is why knowing how to read is very important!
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

NiwatoriFTW

Post #2 by NiwatoriFTW » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:05 am

Do you mean this duel made yesterday? https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=200963-15045053

I wonder why you only describe your chat for rants like these but openly shares the replays for your victories. Anyway, if that is a stupid question is debatable, considering the dozens limitations you demand in the duel note and mid-duel. Also, one could take advantage of the card era limitation to allow FTD if it was convenient, so it's wise to double check.

Debt

Post #3 by Debt » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:57 pm

oof

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #4 by CrystalMusic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:28 pm

NiwatoriFTW wrote:Do you mean this duel made yesterday? https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=200963-15045053

I wonder why you only describe your chat for rants like these but openly shares the replays for your victories. Anyway, if that is a stupid question is debatable, considering the dozens limitations you demand in the duel note and mid-duel. Also, one could take advantage of the card era limitation to allow FTD if it was convenient, so it's wise to double check.

Discard and mill cards are the reason i made this: https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=992436
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

LightCaster
Mood:

Post #5 by LightCaster » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:13 am

CrystalMusic wrote:
NiwatoriFTW wrote:Do you mean this duel made yesterday? https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=200963-15045053

Discard and mill cards are the reason i made this: https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=992436

You mean another stupid card that forces your opponent to follow your dumb rules because you can't accept the game for what it is?

yumafan30

Post #6 by yumafan30 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:19 am

CrystalMusic wrote:

Seems like the topic title also applies for any kind of question. Well, the answer wasn't quite stupid, but it was so non-sequitur and besides the point that one could call it that. It neither refuted NiwatoriFTW's argument, nor sustained yours.

Do you take your time reading comments here at their fullest before replying or do you treat your replies like your custom cards, just writing stuff as you feel like without a second thought?

Debt

Post #7 by Debt » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:49 am

Too bad cards that discard and mill don't affect cards so your card literally does nothing

Wek

Post #8 by Wek » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:05 am

I mean, if they asked a smart question, you still would have given a stupid answer, so I don't see the difference. :mrgreen:

On the other hand...
*DM/GX only*
"DM/GX only uses FTD"
*Refuses to use FTD anyway*

At least you admit your answer is stupid too. :lol:

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #9 by CrystalMusic » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 am

Debt wrote:Too bad cards that discard and mill don't affect cards so your card literally does nothing

wrong. to "affect" a card means to use any kind of effect on it

Debt

Post #10 by Debt » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:20 am

CrystalMusic wrote:wrong. to "affect" a card means to use any kind of effect on it

There's a reason why Dakini and Evenly Matched bypass unaffected and it's the selfsame reason as to why mill and discard effects bypass unaffected by card effects and I'll leave it to you to discover why on your own. They do affect something but it isn't the cards themselves. Someone already explained it to you when you posted that dreadful guardian angel card as to why it doesn't work.

Ir0n
Mood:

Post #11 by Ir0n » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:35 am

CrystalMusic wrote:
Debt wrote:Too bad cards that discard and mill don't affect cards so your card literally does nothing

wrong. to "affect" a card means to use any kind of effect on it

In the english language and many other languages, yes you are correct. But the rules of Yu-Gi-Oh! often work in mysterious ways. Cards like Card Destruction, Evenly Matched or Apoqliphort Towers do have effects that move cards from one position to another, but they are doing it by affecting the player(s) not the cards directly. Card destruction is probably the easiest card to examplify this with:

"Both players discard as many cards as possible from their hands, then each player draws the same number of cards they discarded."

The very first couple of words describe the players as being the affected beings while the effect resolves: Card destruction forces YOU to discard. And because it is still an effect that results in cards being discarded, stuff like Dark World monsters can still trigger. I know it's confusing at first, but the longer you spend playing the game, the more you learn about the intricate workings and mechanics of this often a bit unnecessarily complicated game.

I hope I could help you.

TL/DR: change the effect of your custom card to "Both player's are unaffected by their opponent's cards and effects" and there you go: the card works as you intended.

Debt

Post #12 by Debt » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 am

Ir0n wrote:In the english language and many other languages, yes you are correct. But the rules of Yu-Gi-Oh! often work in mysterious ways. Cards like Card Destruction, Evenly Matched or Apoqliphort Towers do have effects that move cards from one position to another, but they are doing it by affecting the player(s) not the cards directly. Card destruction is probably the easiest card to examplify this with:

"Both players discard as many cards as possible from their hands, then each player draws the same number of cards they discarded."

The very first couple of words describe the players as being the affected beings while the effect resolves: Card destruction forces YOU to discard. And because it is still an effect that results in cards being discarded, stuff like Dark World monsters can still trigger. I know it's confusing at first, but the longer you spend playing the game, the more you learn about the intricate workings and mechanics of this often a bit unnecessarily complicated game.

I hope I could help you.

TL/DR: change the effect of your custom card to "Both player's are unaffected by their opponent's cards and effects" and there you go: the card works as you intended.

I didn't want to directly tell him because he'll just make even more egregious cards.

DuskWill

Post #13 by DuskWill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Debt wrote:
Ir0n wrote:In the english language and many other languages, yes you are correct. But the rules of Yu-Gi-Oh! often work in mysterious ways. Cards like Card Destruction, Evenly Matched or Apoqliphort Towers do have effects that move cards from one position to another, but they are doing it by affecting the player(s) not the cards directly. Card destruction is probably the easiest card to examplify this with:

I hope I could help you.

I didn't want to directly tell him because he'll just make even more egregious cards.

While the terminology is right, being "unaffected by cards and effects" often applies to cards and nothing else. Also, this does not prevent costs or anything else of sorts.

As for the condition of a player being "unaffected", while it can be applied to players, the only example that comes to mind is Clear Vice Dragon. That dragon grants protection against a single named card and nothing more. An effect like "Both player's are unaffected by their opponent's cards and effects" ends up being not proper for both not having a real-life card with rulings to be based and for terminology issues.

All things considered, that Extra Deck card is excessively unnecessary. Easily disrupting and shutting down the opponent's strategy at any point without any effort or downsides from your part is, indeed, egregious. No wonder why nobody takes Custom Cards seriously. Supposedly, they were meant as a way to innovate the game with more support cards and promote fun; Instead, we see people creating stuff like that, making the game intentionally one-sided and denying other people's fun for no reason.
This is...
I saw the strategy I need!

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #14 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:00 pm

DuskWill wrote:All things considered, that Extra Deck card is excessively unnecessary. Easily disrupting and shutting down the opponent's strategy at any point without any effort or downsides from your part is, indeed, egregious. No wonder why nobody takes Custom Cards seriously. Supposedly, they were meant as a way to innovate the game with more support cards and promote fun; Instead, we see people creating stuff like that, making the game intentionally one-sided and denying other people's fun for no reason.

Customs are fine, its just certain people with strange egos you'll have to stay away from. If you aren't toxic in customs by being a dick, then its not really an issue.
b

Duelguy99

Post #15 by Duelguy99 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:19 am

What does pot of greed do?

james111

Post #16 by james111 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:31 pm

CrystalMusic wrote:

I made this Shit: https://www.duelingbook.com/card?id=1189168 to beat this...

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #17 by CrystalMusic » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:25 pm

james111 wrote:
CrystalMusic wrote:

which is why i have a new card that stops that crap

yumafan30

Post #18 by yumafan30 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 pm

Truly, a never-ending cycle of being a jerk with custom cards.

james111

Post #19 by james111 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:42 pm

CrystalMusic wrote:
james111 wrote:
CrystalMusic wrote:

which is why i have a new card that stops that crap

Nuh uh! It says: No cards or effects can be activated in response to this card's activation just like "No one is above the Law", "How bout No?" and "Parental Controls Mascot - Bowser".

Return to “Spam Paradise”