my issue with current gen yugioh

Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
CrystalMusic
Mood:

my issue with current gen yugioh

Post #1 by CrystalMusic » Fri May 10, 2019 9:45 pm

all i see are decks that spam summon like crazy. i HATE decks that summon more than once or twice in a single turn. it ruins the game for me. its no fun if you lose in one turn. this is why im oldschool. back then we didnt have effects that would allow you to automatically summon another monster just from a normal summon, we had to use monster reborn, call of the haunted, pre-mature burial, etc to spam summon back in the day. but now? all u need is ONE card to do that. this is why current gen yugioh sucks, every current gen deck does the same thing: spam summoning!!!

i have a challenge for everyone on here: win by only summoning/setting ONE monster per turn and if youre using fusions try winning by using: polymerization, the eye of timaeus, the fang of critias and the claw of hermos for all your fusion summons. if youre using synchros lets see you use only monsters in your main deck to get all your synchros out. if youre using xyz's lets see you use only monsters in your main deck for all your xyz summons. if you can win a duel by doing all of this let me know. until then imo you suck at this game.
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

DuskWill

Post #2 by DuskWill » Sat May 11, 2019 12:15 am

Indeed, it is not fun losing in one turn and most strategies in the past years have been more oriented to swarming, but I think you are not seeing the whole picture.

Assuming that by "oldschool" you mean the game aspect between 2002 and 2008, those were the times where, with a few exceptions:

Archetypes barely mattered;
    Deck consistency was luck-based as searching power was a bit over minimal;
    The game state could be locked in the first couple of turns, since...
    There were few ways of making an effective comeback that did no't require just 1 or 2 cards and...
    Winning a game was, in most cases, summoning a beatstick ASAP and going further, while your opponent would continuously have at least one monster less than you, unless...
    They summoned a Spirit Reaper or similar wall to extend the game, which was also the main problem with burn decks.

Of course, there were cards that could deal with those problems, but it was far from practical, specially in real life:

It was hard to come by with Mirror Force;
    Lightning Vortex was a tricky thing, as more than one rarely was worth the payoff;
    Dark Hole, Heavy Storm, Monster Reborn, Mystical Space Typhoon, Premature Burial and many others often fluctuated on the banlist, but in the best case scenario were Limited
    It was a time that Final Countdown did not even require a deck focused on stalling to actually work.

Konami acknowledged that and always experimented new stuff in each new release to innovate the game. Swarming with card advantage ended showing up as a common concept. However, it was (and still is in most cases) a tool to build up for both common and unique strategies, depending on the deck. In general, monsters summoned this way are usually materials for further plays, while also allowing the opponent to intervene mid-way. Most decks had that. Those who abused would eventually be crippled by the banlist and those from the old days who couldn't had major updates to catch on. Pendulums was a different story, as they ended up being basically game breaking, requiring a whole Master Rule rework.

In the end, either oldschool games were defined very early on or there would have lots of turns with nothing happening, aside Draw Phases. What you claim to happen in "newschool" Yu-Gi-Oh! just cropped a few turns from the defining part but also allowed many decks to make comebacks with fewer cards, so it's no game state is definitive from the beginning.

But, hey, it is your issue, I'm not going to judge your nostalgia or definition of when the game was better. Goat Format exists for that exact reason. However, most players you will find elsewhere are not so compelled by nostalgia: they play competitively and they actively learn how the newest cards works. Also, a good portion of them play IRL with those decks, so they will play their best here to improve themselves, specially if they participate regularly in tournaments.

On the other hand, your challenge will be pointless for most people. There is no nothing to learn for those who lived oldschool, there is nothing to earn for those who play here as an extension of playing IRL and, for most casual players, a challenge like that would have to ensure fun. Limiting themselves just to earn recognition of your concept of "not sucking" at this game will be hard to happen.

tl;dr: Superficial analysis leads to superficial opinions. Good luck with your issues.
This is...
I saw the strategy I need!

MrAwesomePG

Post #3 by MrAwesomePG » Sat May 11, 2019 6:22 am

You know what's funny?

CrystalMusic wrote:back then we didnt have effects that would allow you to automatically summon another monster just from a normal summon

Marauding Captain.

Then this proposition of yours is dumb-founding for numerous reasons

CrystalMusic wrote:i have a challenge for everyone on here: win by only summoning/setting ONE monster per turn and if youre using fusions try winning by using: polymerization, the eye of timaeus, the fang of critias and the claw of hermos for all your fusion summons. if youre using synchros lets see you use only monsters in your main deck to get all your synchros out. if youre using xyz's lets see you use only monsters in your main deck for all your xyz summons. if you can win a duel by doing all of this let me know. until then imo you suck at this game.

Even if we ignore the fact that the first condition is impossible unless you're opponent is playing the same way, as even old school YGO had a lot of moments when you'd summon more than just a single monster per turn, with the aforementioned cards like Monster Reborn and even basic Special Summoning methods like FLIP SUMMONING:

1. HEROs are the only archtype that is able to function by just using OG polymerization. There are several other fusion monsters (including old-school archtypes like Gladiator Beasts) that Fusion Summon via other methods entirely.
Also, the Legendary Dragons didn't exist in the irl old-school game, not to mention using only them only gives you a small pool of Fusions to work with, which ironically enough, include cards that you'd probably deem OP, but we're gunna gloss over that

2.I'm guessing this is based off seeing Pendulums in action, given how you'd need monsters with levels(which can only be found in the main deck anyway), to summon the other kinds of Extra Deck Monsters, but Pendulums originate from the Main Deck, so it doesn't matter if their mechanics make them able to be Summoned from the Extra Deck, they'd still be usable under these conditions.

3. Literally there are some monsters that require monsters that originate from the Extra Deck as materials.

Like, okay, I sympathize with the idea the state of the game today is a little too fast, that's fine.
But this is just...blech.
Yu-Gi-Oh! Project Games

Return to “Spam Paradise”