Should rated customs exist?

Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
LightCaster
Mood:

Re: Should rated customs exist?

Post #21 by LightCaster » Wed May 10, 2023 2:25 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
LightCaster wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Don't go for any custom card discords that have any form of rating.

Once your shit gets approved, then people in the discord get salty about your deck, and next thing you know you're forced to change your already accepted cards instead of just creating a ban list.

Not talking about how the fact that people on the team that the Card Approval Team will be bias towards those on the team. A CAT member created World Travelers, which most players were unable to beat in the discord, yet my Nekos (Synchro Summon/Mill deck) were a problem despite being unable to beat World Travelers. I point this fact out, and it (in my opinion) broke the entire discord. Which brought on how that archetype had to be changed. I ended up leaving and will never join any discord for custom cards.

All of that, cause a CAT member got salty in a friendly no stake duel, where I decked them out.

The main deck monsters were relatively low powered, the synchro monsters had a tribute mechanic similar to stardust dragon but for negates, which only 1 can negate a card, and the other could negate an attack. The milling from the main deck monsters were treated as a "cost", much like Gravekeeper's servant, but on everything the opponent did and you couldn't have more than 1 of the same monsters on field (main deck ones) so it couldn't stack up to be ridiculous.

So literally what Dark Priscilla does? They preach about being better card designers than Konami but anything that gets the boss monster out at regular speed is considered broken.

I remember being in one of the custom card discords and Dark Priscilla was in it.

A lot of whining happened cause their stuff wouldn't be accepted if I recall.

They made their own discord and it was practically tyrannical how demanding they were about accepting custom cards.

MarshieDemon

Post #22 by MarshieDemon » Wed May 10, 2023 3:31 am

I understand that people feel really attached to their custom cards and would like to use them in a more competitive setting. Really, I do. We just do not have the resources to properly create and maintain such a system.

Having a team that could correct everyone's PSCT wouldn't be easy. PSCT isn't as simple as adding a few colons and semicolons. This game has a lot of mechanics, and each mechanic is dependent on specific wording. To promote proper rulings, you'd have to make sure that the wording on the card is consistent with every other card with the same mechanic. The organization by itself would be a nightmare, and to create a team that knows that PSCT and could maintain that organization would require an exam that is just as difficult, if not more difficult, than our current judge exam.

There are also way too many custom cards that get created every minute. In the 7 minutes since I began typing this response, there have been 38 custom cards created. Even if not every single one gets uploaded to this "database," you'd still need a staff member to review each and every single card, correct its PSCT, clarify rulings for it (if unclear), evaluate its balance, and be available to answer judge calls involving that card. It's just not practical.

Head Administrator

Sound4

Post #23 by Sound4 » Wed May 10, 2023 7:21 am

Definitely not

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #24 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Thu May 11, 2023 9:35 pm

It seems no one understands that I did not say **every** custom, literally just ones for rated, as in NOT EVERY RANDOM 30 FUCKING CUSTOMS, and not every idiot who makes customs will play in rated. You already have to dedicate people to do normal shit on the site, you simply have to just do it. You literally just don't want to, that's what it boils down to, not that you can't
b

Fredblade
Mood:

Post #25 by Fredblade » Fri May 12, 2023 6:03 am

Neo_Fire_Sonic wrote:It seems no one understands that I did not say **every** custom, literally just ones for rated, as in NOT EVERY RANDOM 30 FUCKING CUSTOMS, and not every idiot who makes customs will play in rated. You already have to dedicate people to do normal shit on the site, you simply have to just do it. You literally just don't want to, that's what it boils down to, not that you can't

Custom cards was a fun tool included because the owner felt like it, it was never meant to be taken as this serious competitive format. I seriously don't understand why people go so hard about wanting to make a rated ladder, it's just a bunch of people trying to inflate their egos over fictional cards.

Rocket2

Post #26 by Rocket2 » Fri May 12, 2023 9:55 am

Neo_Fire_Sonic wrote:It seems no one understands that I did not say **every** custom, literally just ones for rated, as in NOT EVERY RANDOM 30 FUCKING CUSTOMS, and not every idiot who makes customs will play in rated. You already have to dedicate people to do normal shit on the site, you simply have to just do it. You literally just don't want to, that's what it boils down to, not that you can't

You want a chosen one, or a selected few of "so-called elites" to dictate 1 of DB rated formats? That's a dumb idea. It will be no different from those tyrannical card maker discords. It's an insider job. No one can debate or join their little club. Not to mention these "elites" (who need to be overqualified than what the current judge exam can produce btw) can errata, private, delete, change rulings, or complete makeover their cards without notice.

MarshieDemon had gave their good reasonings why they shouldn't change their "toy" to something that matter, where players can be punish on the same ground like their current rated formats. Just respect their rational decision (this also goes to any card maker troll reading this too). The payouts of "rated toy" are miniscule compare to the headaches it will bring.

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #27 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Sat May 13, 2023 4:50 am

Rocket2 wrote:

You want a chosen one, or a selected few of "so-called elites" to dictate 1 of DB rated formats? That's a dumb idea. It will be no different from those tyrannical card maker discords. It's an insider job. No one can debate or join their little club. Not to mention these "elites" (who need to be overqualified than what the current judge exam can produce btw) can errata, private, delete, change rulings, or complete makeover their cards without notice.

MarshieDemon had gave their good reasonings why they shouldn't change their "toy" to something that matter, where players can be punish on the same ground like their current rated formats. Just respect their rational decision (this also goes to any card maker troll reading this too). The payouts of "rated toy" are miniscule compare to the headaches it will bring.

One of his reasons was that having a team to correct psct wouldn't be easy, despite the fact it actually isn't as hard as you think, especially when majority of the time the psct on cards is dumb shit like thisImage
For ex, if there was an option, the "custom" judge could have a thing where when they are looking at a card that someone requests to be useable in the fictional "custom rated" they could reject it and put a message like "specify when you can activate this effect", also I don't know where this so called elites shit comes from but either way, judges already dictate rated normally so its literally the same thing. Also there would be no need to makeover a card, you simply need to make it work in the first place. Also sometimes it would be very easy when cards can and can't work because you have cards like this Image the fictional custom judge could just simply say "no" to this. Or if a card have everything else on it explained far better than these other two examples, thats when the custom judge could use proper psct knowledge to actually fix that cards minor issues. But really, in the end it boils down to them simply not wanting to make this a real mode. Really should just admit that at this point, it won't hurt anyone.
b

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #28 by Lil Oldman » Sat May 13, 2023 6:44 am

There's better places to invest recourses than in a format that not only requires testing, but text proofing, banlists, rulings, organized play and who knows what more. dB staff ain't game designers, and I think their time and recourses shouldn't be invested on a niche gimmick.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Rocket2

Post #29 by Rocket2 » Sat May 13, 2023 10:04 am

Neo_Fire_Sonic wrote:But really, in the end it boils down to them simply not wanting to make this a real mode.

Were you always this childish. Before you continue lecturing the staffs in how they should be doing their "job", how about imaging yourself in their shoes for a moment. Understaffed, and once again, another brat in the forum demand they should do dumb stuffs in their "TOTALLY INFINITE TIME AND PAID JOB", and not think of the consequences.

Neo_Fire_Sonic wrote:Really should just admit that at this point, it won't hurt anyone.

You do not know strangers on the internet. Don't go pretending that you know them better than they know themselves.

No means no.

If you are so determined to keep pressuring the staffs and want to be taken seriously, how about you go post a trend in the "serious discussion" instead of using someone else spam topic. Although they will never yield to your selfish demands for a confession & to make rated "toy".

greg503

Post #30 by greg503 » Sat May 13, 2023 2:19 pm

Again KoishiPro exists and actually codes the customs to work in YGOPro's engine. This alone makes it a better environment for competitive play.
Buy Floowandereeze

MarshieDemon

Post #31 by MarshieDemon » Mon May 15, 2023 9:41 pm

Let's be honest - any card that ends up in this competitive custom format isn't going to be as simple as discarding a card to end the Battle Phase. They're going to be competitive because players in a competitive environment will want to play competitively. They're going to be cards that are just as complex as modern-day TCG cards. So, yes, fixing the PSCT would be a challenge.

Also, I really don't mind discussing this topic, so let's keep this thread civil guys. It's a fun thought experiment. The answer is still no, though.

Head Administrator

eyal282

Post #32 by eyal282 » Thu May 18, 2023 2:25 am

Win the duel; Draw 5 cards.

Sound4

Post #33 by Sound4 » Fri May 26, 2023 7:12 am

MarshieDemon wrote:Let's be honest - any card that ends up in this competitive custom format isn't going to be as simple as discarding a card to end the Battle Phase. They're going to be competitive because players in a competitive environment will want to play competitively. They're going to be cards that are just as complex as modern-day TCG cards. So, yes, fixing the PSCT would be a challenge.

Also, I really don't mind discussing this topic, so let's keep this thread civil guys. It's a fun thought experiment. The answer is still no, though.

What do you think would have to happen for rated customs to exist?

Skyonator

Post #34 by Skyonator » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:10 pm

What maybe (a very big maybe) would be possible is a custom tournament every 2 weeks or so. Only so much players could join with their deck which can then be reviewed by a judge. If there are dumb or OP shit in one or two deck they would simply be eliminated from the tournament.

The big maybe contains, among other thing, the judges mindset. I can fully understand that judges dont want to deal with that. Maybe some active and trustworthy members of the custom community (for example Christen57) could be promoted to "custom judges" or something like that but there we would have the so called "elite" again.

So possible? Yeah totaly
Easy? Hell naw
Im a german custom cards creator.
I mostly create "oldschool" Decks settled in either the DM, GX or 5Ds era.

Dont judge me for my bad english :D

ominous

Post #35 by ominous » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:26 pm

If you want rated customs make a system for it yourselves.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

Return to “Spam Paradise”