Resident Evil Village

Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
Debt

Resident Evil Village

Post #1 by Debt » Fri May 07, 2021 4:32 pm

I just bought it and I've only played up until the first save point of it so I can't really give a detailed or even accurate assessment. So far it runs fantastically on my gtx 1070, no fps drops or anything. The environments look gorgeous, the atmosphere has been great so far. This might be my favorite opening sequence in a survival horror game. The titular village looks great. It looks filthy and dilapidated but I can actually believe that at one point in time normal people lived here The castle in the background looks imposing and foreboding. The tied up ravens and strung up goat heads reminded me of movies like "The Blair Witch Project " and "The VVitch". But the Resident Evil Engine strikes again and Mia looks even worse than she did in RE7; her hair in particular stands out due to how stiff and unnatural it looks. There's something about this engine that makes most female faces look really off compared to the real life models the characters are based off of. Chris looks fantastic this time around, Ethan looks like the average joe he's supposed to embody and all the male characters in DMC5 look great as well.

Compared to RE7 this game is more action packed; even at the start you're inundated with ammo and you're fully expected to fight back. It feels closer to RE4 in this regard. 2 minutes after getting your gun and knife you're up against the new basic enemy, the Lycan. They're a bit bullet spongey, but not to the extent that RE1, RE2, RE2 remake and RE7 molded were, taking about 10 rounds on normal to put down and far more mobile than the molded of 7 were having the tendency to sway side to side to throw off your aim. They don't seem to do much damage, 3 bites in normal knocked me into orange and this game' been pretty generous with herbs and chem fluid. By the second encounter with a Lycan you get your first opportunity to block off entry ways with shelves.

After the beginning sequence the game starts to feel very RE4. You're an American in the middle of a European backwater, this time you're in some unnamed Eastern European country rather than some unnamed village in Spain. The locals have lost their mind and you're stocked up on ammo and ready to kick ass. The third encounter with the Lycan has you flooded with enemies, just like the house in RE4 but this time the devs in their infinite mercy have given you the shotgun and explosive barrels litter the battlefield. But it's not enough. There are too many enemies, flaming arrows are raining down on you and there's this awful loud thudding sounds in the background. This was the first time in this game I've felt any sense of disempowerment. There was legitimate tension unlike in RE4. Leon could kick peasants into the stratosphere, Ethan can't. Maybe if I were better I could use force to win the encounter but this time I couldn't, I had to wait out the storm.

troglyte
Mood:

Post #2 by troglyte » Fri May 07, 2021 6:41 pm

So what you're saying is...

This game Succ's
Crab Turtle respects your pronouns.
he/him
Sign the Crab Turtle petition here! http://chng.it/J4rvHFFfZG

Return to “Spam Paradise”