A solution to find North American TCG cards' release dates.

Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
drquantumscale

A solution to find North American TCG cards' release dates.

Post #1 by drquantumscale » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:35 am

EDIT: added some paragraphs at the end to refute CrystalMusic's points

I felt a bit bad about writing a message in the replay thread that did little other than be a short quip. So I decided to make a post about how to find the true release dates of yugioh TCG cards in North America.

This thread is mostly being made because I found something neat on the yugioh database website, but if it helps CrystalMusic be a little less insufferable then might as well. I also can't seem to leave it at a short quip, so I'll explain in clear and definite words what's wrong with CrystalMusic's logic in a constructive way, and a solution.

First of all it's a bit weird seeing CrystalMusic rely on the wiki for the defined release date of a card. This is because, as he's said before, the wiki can be edited at any time by anyone. It can also possibly take a while to be corrected if somebody maliciously changes it, in which case the people at the wiki have to find it before it can be corrected. I propose then, we use a different source for this card information. One that seems so simple it's weird to think that CrystalMusic hasn't mentioned it before.

That is the yugioh-card database itself available at https://www.db.yugioh-card.com/. Although there is a genuine criticism CrystalMusic is worried about in particular, which is how do we know the dates listed here are the North American ones. I was curious myself whether the dates on here were specifically of the North American release. To do this I'll need to find a card that was released at a different time in Europe or other english TCG locations and compare the dates. Surprisingly this card exists.

In July 2015 the product Crossed Souls Advance Edition was released. Like most advance edition products, this contained 3 packs of the current mainline yugioh product Crossed Souls, as well as containing 2 of 4 selected cards from the upcoming set Clash of Rebelleions. One of these cards, Wavering Eyes, was signifigant to the Qliphort deck strategy at the time. The product Crossed Souls Advance Edition was actually released at different times in different TCG regions.

As you can see in the above, the North American release was July 3rd, a day after the July 2nd release in Europe. We can use this to cross-reference the Database to check whether the english yugioh-card database shows the North American or European TCG release dates.

You can see the english version of the wavering eyes card page in the yugioh-card database shows that wavering eyes did in fact release on July 3rd 2015. Although if we can also find a way to access the european release date this would confirm that the english site holds North American release dates for cards in the yugioh TCG.

This is quite easily done by switching the language of the site to Italian in the top right. If we do, we see the following.

On the Italian version we can clearly see the Italian localized name for the Crossed Souls Advance Edition product, as well as the release date corresponding to the european release date.

We can further confirm that this site is giving the correct dates if we switch to the Japanese version of the database, done in the same way to change to Italian.

Here we can see that the japanese version correctly shows that in the japanese game there was no equivalent to the Crossed Souls Advance Edition product, and instead came out in the set it originally came out in, the TCG upcoming Clash of Rebellions.

So to CrystalMusic, if you want to confirm when a card is released in the North American TCG, there really is no excuse to just using the official database's english website.

The biggest part of CrystalMusic's logic is only counting the tab in the wiki that said "North America" on the specific card's page. Although there is cases where the worldwide section might list a date that's inconsistent with the North American release, any of these are solved by looking at the page of the set it says came out worldwide.

Using the north america tab only is a really bad way to fix this issue, as it only shows products that were released in north america only. It very importantly does not show worldwide releases that came to north america at the same time, such as the Cyberdark Impact I quipped.

If Ancient Gear Golem came out in North America in 2005, was legal to play in north america in 2005, and was available to purchase in product made for the north american audience during 2005 then there really is no reason to say it wasn't released until 2006 just because there was a special product available only to north america.
Last edited by drquantumscale on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #2 by Lil Oldman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:43 am

Poor soul, thinks CM isn't lost cause, I have been in that position before, and believe me, he is being stupid from his own free will.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

drquantumscale

Post #3 by drquantumscale » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:49 am

Lil Oldman wrote:Poor soul, thinks CM isn't lost cause, I have been in that position before, and believe me, he is being stupid from his own free will.

Meh, I'm not trying to "fix" CM, I'm just using flaws in his logic as a way to exercise and improve the way I argue points. If it makes sense to say this way, I'm not trying to improve CM but improve myself.

KTeknis

Post #4 by KTeknis » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:42 am

drquantumscale wrote:Meh, I'm not trying to "fix" CM, I'm just using flaws in his logic as a way to exercise and improve the way I argue points. If it makes sense to say this way, I'm not trying to improve CM but improve myself.

That's a good analogy there. Finding good lesson in the worst of people.
I have interest in badly designed custom cards.
You saw these cards as terrible, I saw them as ideas.

Return to “Spam Paradise”