I found something coool

Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
Razyeon
Mood:

I found something coool

Post #1 by Razyeon » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:24 pm

When I was digging thru some of my crap to get rid of after a decade of ignoring it, (apparently spontaneous degeneration is a myth after all..... sometimes) I found this promotional manga I receieved for participating in the Force of the Breaker prerelease back in 2007.

Some of the dialogue was weird in this version. Also, Stratos used to be vanilla, apparently.

Yes, that's a Cardfight Vanguard playmat.

I really like this panel in particular. Somehow it makes solid vision holograms more intimidating than in the anime. There are some techniques that work better in manga format than they do in their anime adaptation. Such as the entirety of One Piece.

Now hopefully, I can finish shoveling all this junk into boxes before that looming mountain of OH GOD RUN THAT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO HA--

DuskWill

Post #2 by DuskWill » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:06 pm

Indeed, awesome. It's a bit weird that they used their localized names, but I suppose they knew their audience.

Mangas really have an art result that excels the anime, but we have to take in account that they often release both in a weekly basis and, unless it's some big production, anime really doesn't get the best treatment. It's even worse when they tone down their content or even change some explicit events to fit the anime, despite the target audience, like how it happened at some points with One Piece.

But, hey, at least we got great voice acting and soundtracks, so animes not a lost cause entirely, compared to manga.
This is...
I saw the strategy I need!

Renji Asuka

Post #3 by Renji Asuka » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:26 pm

DuskWill wrote:Indeed, awesome. It's a bit weird that they used their localized names, but I suppose they knew their audience.

Mangas really have an art result that excels the anime, but we have to take in account that they often release both in a weekly basis and, unless it's some big production, anime really doesn't get the best treatment. It's even worse when they tone down their content or even change some explicit events to fit the anime, despite the target audience, like how it happened at some points with One Piece.

But, hey, at least we got great voice acting and soundtracks, so animes not a lost cause entirely, compared to manga.

Well, 4kids wouldn't had lasted long with One Piece anyways. Especially when it gets to the Impel Down Arc.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

DuskWill

Post #4 by DuskWill » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:35 pm

4KIDS wouldn't be able to explain Brook's backstory after editing Laboon into an iceberg. Or how Usopp would convince Oimo and Kashii since they skipped Little Garden's arc.

Still, one thing I find generally depressing seeing that many anime dubs in the west resorted to using different soundtracks and intros. Did they get charged extra for those?
This is...

Renji Asuka

Post #5 by Renji Asuka » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:30 pm

DuskWill wrote:4KIDS wouldn't be able to explain Brook's backstory after editing Laboon into an iceberg. Or how Usopp would convince Oimo and Kashii since they skipped Little Garden's arc.

Still, one thing I find generally depressing seeing that many anime dubs in the west resorted to using different soundtracks and intros. Did they get charged extra for those?

I think its because they assumed the viewers wouldn't care about the japanese openings, considering (in the US in this case) most people only know either English or Spanish. Fortunately that has changed quite a bit in the past 10 years or so.

Hell Funimation had a poll asking if people wanted to keep the One Piece Rap or have the "Original openings"....which was just the same song translated into English. Thank GOD, they went back to full Japanese intros.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

DuskWill

Post #6 by DuskWill » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:57 pm

I said "in the west" because many western countries did their own dubs directly from the source, although it wasn't uncommon to acquire them from US companies such as 4KIDS.

That was quite the case for me: while Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh! here were dubbed versions of 4KIDS' adaptations, animes like Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Card Captor Sakura and Saint Seiya were basically dubs from the original content, without much censoring or changes. Digimon was a peculiar case, though, since we had a dub of Saban's intro and some name changing, but the soundtrack, dialogue and animation were pretty much untouched.
This is...

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #7 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:54 am

stratos had an effect in the manga, it was just to halve its atk to attack directly
b

Razyeon
Mood:

Post #8 by Razyeon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:50 pm

Some other coool things I found include:-

* A special edition VHS tape of the original TRON
* A MLPFIM 2013 calendar, sealed in its original packaging
* The booklet that came with the Dragon Master Knight promo (minus the card)
* Another booklet that came with the Rise of Eldrazi fat pack (MTG)
* A pamphlet advertising the DSOD movie
* A couple of Cardfight Vanguard posters
* Several notepads full of cringe-worthy doodles from highschool (including a couple genuinely "good" ones that I saved)

Return to “Spam Paradise”