The Appeal of Rush Duels

Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
troglyte
Mood:

The Appeal of Rush Duels

Post #1 by troglyte » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:53 pm

Dark Liberation is one of the strongest cards in the current Rush Duel meta. But its design perfectly highlights what made me interested in the format of Rush Duels. Dark Liberation is basically Mirror Force, but with a cost: Shuffle 4 Spellcasters from your GY. This immediately tells me two things about the card:

1. In order to play this card, you need to be playing Spellcasters in some amount, and a good portion of your deck needs to be Spellcasters if you want to activate it consistently. So it locks you into a very specific play style.
2. The GY is public knowledge. If your opponent is paying attention, they will know if you have enough monsters to activate it. And if they have that knowledge, they can play around the card if they think you have it set.
The same can be said for a lot of different traps in the game. Epic Demon’s Rock and Dragonic Counteroffensive require you to discard cards, Dragon’s Tenacity requires you to shuffle a Dragon, Crazy and Complicit requires you to have 2 Normal Monsters with Different Types on the Field, etc. The Traps in this game are just so fun to play!

This format also introduces one of my favorite game interactions that has sadly fallen out of fashion in yugioh: Trap Bluffing. Rush Duels is a format where you want to empty your hand as much as possible, so it’s very much expected of you set a bunch of cards, including your spells. There’s no greater satisfaction than having your opponent Hammer Crush the wrong set card.
Maximum Monsters seem really cool as well.
Last edited by troglyte on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crab Turtle respects your pronouns.
he/him
Sign the Crab Turtle petition here! http://chng.it/J4rvHFFfZG

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:14 pm

Enjoy Rush Duels before Barbaros
Buy Floowandereeze

troglyte
Mood:

Post #3 by troglyte » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:23 pm

Sadly, I can't say there is much of a Rush Duel community here in DB.

I've had to rely on discord communities to set up matches.
he/him

troglyte
Mood:

Post #4 by troglyte » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:55 pm

Shoutouts to Bassoon Girl on the most recent episode of Sevens.

I have no clue what the deck is supposed to do, but the flavor is spot-on.
he/him

Christen57

Post #5 by Christen57 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:37 am

troglyte wrote:Sadly, I can't say there is much of a Rush Duel community here in DB.

My problem with rush duels, and why I think they're so unpopular at the moment, is because:

1. The vast majority of their cards are purposely made to be straight-up garbage, like why would I want to play Wind Spirit's Blessing, a spell that works only on spellcaster monsters, increases only it's ATK by 1000 and not it's DEF, lasts only until the end of the current turn, and on top of that requires you to sacrifice a card in your hand to use, when I could play Blustering Winds, a spell that does not require any sacrifices to use, works on any monster instead of just spellcasters, increases both it's ATK and it's DEF by 1000 instead of just it's ATK, and also lasts until my next Standby Phase instead of just the end of the current turn?

Keep in mind that Blustering Winds itself is already a terrible card that nobody plays, and yet konami still went ahead and printed something even worse than that.

2. Can't use rituals, fusions, synchros, xyzs, pendulums, or links. At least in Duel Links you can use rituals, fusions, synchros, and xyzs.

3. Currently the only spells/traps you can use are Normal spells/traps and Field Spells. No kind of other spells/traps are allowed/available.

4. I don't get why certain cards have to say "Requirement: None". If there's no specific requirement that has to be meant, than that part can simply be left out. It just makes card texts longer for no reason.

5. Rush Duel cards are worded much differently than their official counterparts, leading to ruling confusions. For example, Jinzo's effect says "Negate all Trap effects on the field" so we know that Trap effects can still be used in other places such as the Graveyard, such as Breakthrough Skill, but rush duel Jinzo's effect says "Negate both players' trap effects" so we don't know if it's referring to all traps effects in all locations, or if it's the same as the official Jinzo where it only negates trap effects on the field.

troglyte
Mood:

Post #6 by troglyte » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:15 am

Christen57 wrote:
troglyte wrote:Sadly, I can't say there is much of a Rush Duel community here in DB.

My problem with rush duels, and why I think they're so unpopular at the moment, is because:

1. The vast majority of their cards are purposely made to be straight-up garbage, like why would I want to play Wind Spirit's Blessing, a spell that works only on spellcaster monsters, increases only it's ATK by 1000 and not it's DEF, lasts only until the end of the current turn, and on top of that requires you to sacrifice a card in your hand to use, when I could play Blustering Winds, a spell that does not require any sacrifices to use, works on any monster instead of just spellcasters, increases both it's ATK and it's DEF by 1000 instead of just it's ATK, and also lasts until my next Standby Phase instead of just the end of the current turn?

Keep in mind that Blustering Winds itself is already a terrible card that nobody plays, and yet konami still went ahead and printed something even worse than that.

2. Can't use rituals, fusions, synchros, xyzs, pendulums, or links. At least in Duel Links you can use rituals, fusions, synchros, and xyzs.

3. Currently the only spells/traps you can use are Normal spells/traps and Field Spells. No kind of other spells/traps are allowed/available.

4. I don't get why certain cards have to say "Requirement: None". If there's no specific requirement that has to be meant, than that part can simply be left out. It just makes card texts longer for no reason.

5. Rush Duel cards are worded much differently than their official counterparts, leading to ruling confusions. For example, Jinzo's effect says "Negate all Trap effects on the field" so we know that Trap effects can still be used in other places such as the Graveyard, such as Breakthrough Skill, but rush duel Jinzo's effect says "Negate both players' trap effects" so we don't know if it's referring to all traps effects in all locations, or if it's the same as the official Jinzo where it only negates trap effects on the field.

Not a rebuttal, but more a general response to your points.

1. I think the larger point you're getting at is the general power level of the format is really, really low. Rush Duels appears to have the same intentions as Speed Duels in that it is supposed to be a simplified version of the game. I can see why that would turn off a lot of people. In any other current yugioh format, the best Rush Duel cards are completely unplayable. I believe there is value to having a lower power ceiling. I get a lot of people come to yugioh specifically because they can perform crazy combos that feel like they're breaking the game. I am not one of those people. I feel Rush Duels cuts out most of the combo fat and gets straight to what I've grown to enjoy in dueling, and that is the back-and-forth combat between the players.

2. Totally agree. I thought they were going to bring in fusions or rituals at one point, but once they introduced Maximum Summon, now I'm not certain. In all promotional material, specifically depictions of the Rush Duel game mat, they have always shown a section for the Extra Deck. What are their plans for it? That remains to be seen...

3. This ties into points 1 and 2, but perhaps they feel other versions of spells/traps would make the format too complicated. Or maybe they just haven't incorporated into the game yet. That being said, I do approve of how Field Spells have been treated so far.

4. I don't think this point is necessarily a turn-off to the entire format. I personally approve of clearly separating the requirement from the effect. It will set a precedent for rulings once the format ages. Also, "Requirement: none" heavily implies that most effects are going to have a requirement of some kind. It should be uncommon, I agree it would be a waste of space if dozens of effect monsters have no requirements.

5. Again, see points 1,2,3, and 4. But also, Jinzo's simplified wording seems to imply that perhaps you won't be activating a lot of spells/traps from the graveyard in Rush Duels.
he/him

Return to “Spam Paradise”