Here you can discuss just about whatever you want
Darkraiclone
Mood:

Re: goat format challenge

Post #41 by Darkraiclone » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:27 am

CrystalMusic wrote:
Darkraiclone wrote:
CrystalMusic wrote:
unlike yugioh, MTG is much harder to spam summon, you need mana to do that and the rules state ur limited to playing 1 mana (land) per turn. so it takes time to get going!

Clearly you've not played MTG in a good while. It is possible to spam summon like in yugioh, but unless your deck benefits from it, it will pretty much do nothing.

dude i have one of the latest decks and packs: Core Pack 2020 with:
- A Mythic Rare: Teferi, Master of Time whos a Legendary Planeswalker M21: Costs: 2 ocean and 2 other mana and his abilities are thus:
You may activate loyalty abilities of Tefri, Master of Time on any player's turn any time you could cast an instant.
+1: Draw a card, then discard a card
- 3 Target creature you don't control phases out
- 10: Take two extra turns after this one
281 M21 EN Chris Rallis 2020 Wizards of the Coast

So you haven't played anything before 2020, so you haven't played Mirrodin block, or any of the other blocks leading up to 2020 then?
Everyone's favorite crybaby.

CrystalMusic
Mood:

Post #42 by CrystalMusic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:30 am

Darkraiclone wrote:
CrystalMusic wrote:
Darkraiclone wrote:Clearly you've not played MTG in a good while. It is possible to spam summon like in yugioh, but unless your deck benefits from it, it will pretty much do nothing.

- A Mythic Rare: Teferi, Master of Time whos a Legendary Planeswalker M21: Costs: 2 ocean and 2 other mana and his abilities are thus:
You may activate loyalty abilities of Tefri, Master of Time on any player's turn any time you could cast an instant.

So you haven't played anything before 2020, so you haven't played Mirrodin block, or any of the other blocks leading up to 2020 then?

Iv been collecting for the last 5 years. im trying to get all my decks the way i want them for tournaments. till then i just practice against my older brother who is a seasonal MTG player, and a darn good one! he taught me how to play MTG!
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

Debt

Post #43 by Debt » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:32 am

DuskWill wrote:I suppose the example I provided of possibly over a hundred Polyraptors being summoned in a single turn means nothing, then.

Not much to say about it. He had river's rebuke to answer it. It's a cute deck but since I didn't play standard from return to zendikar to rivals I don't know how viable that Polyraptor deck actually is; honestly looks like a meme deck to me.

Darkraiclone
Mood:

Post #44 by Darkraiclone » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:35 am

CrystalMusic wrote:
Darkraiclone wrote:
CrystalMusic wrote:

Iv been collecting for the last 5 years. im trying to get all my decks the way i want them for tournaments. till then i just practice against my older brother who is a seasonal MTG player, and a darn good one! he taught me how to play MTG!

Okay, and what format do you play?
Everyone's favorite crybaby.

DuskWill

Post #45 by DuskWill » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:35 am

Debt wrote:
DuskWill wrote:I suppose the example I provided of possibly over a hundred Polyraptors being summoned in a single turn means nothing, then.

Not much to say about it. He had river's rebuke to answer it. It's a cute deck but since I didn't play standard from return to zendikar to rivals I don't know how viable that Polyraptor deck actually is; honestly looks like a meme deck to me.

Well, it seemed to lack untapped lands for River's Rebuke. And, yes, it was mostly a meme deck, but it was a high risk/high reward kind of deck: Image
Still, I just shared to prove both how decks in MTG can summon dozen creatures in one turn and how it really doesn't matter.
This is...
I saw the strategy I need!

Debt

Post #46 by Debt » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:43 am

DuskWill wrote:
Debt wrote:Well, it seemed to lack untapped lands for River's Rebuke. And, yes, it was mostly a meme deck, but it was a high risk/high reward kind of deck:
Still, I just shared to prove both how decks in MTG can summon dozen creatures in one turn and how it really doesn't matter.

It would matter if they were hasted like how the Saheeli cat combo worked. I didn't play Kaladesh, mostly because I thought it was an absolute dumpster fire coming off of spoiler season, but even I heard the horror stories about that deck.

DuskWill

Post #47 by DuskWill » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:51 am

Debt wrote:
DuskWill wrote:
Debt wrote:Well, it seemed to lack untapped lands for River's Rebuke. And, yes, it was mostly a meme deck, but it was a high risk/high reward kind of deck:

It would matter if they were hasted like how the Saheeli cat combo worked.

Well, just one card missing for that to happen:Image
But, yes, I see your point.
This is...

Renji Asuka

Post #48 by Renji Asuka » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:02 am

Goblins: Are we a joke to you?
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Christen57

Post #49 by Christen57 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:50 pm

CrystalMusic wrote:tired that site, they follow their ban list, i want one where i can play WHATEVER I WANT!!!

What about Forge? https://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

Darkraiclone wrote:
CrystalMusic wrote:
LightCaster wrote:
Oh so you'll make your own banlist and follow yugioh's banlist but you won't follow MTG's? Make sense please.

unlike yugioh, MTG is much harder to spam summon, you need mana to do that and the rules state ur limited to playing 1 mana (land) per turn. so it takes time to get going!

Clearly you've not played MTG in a good while. It is possible to spam summon like in yugioh, but unless your deck benefits from it, it will pretty much do nothing.

He didn't say it was impossible, he just said it would be harder, and that depends on the format being followed and what their current banlist is. In formats where overpowered cards like Black Lotus are allowed, it's probably very easy.

Otherwise, there are several factors that do make it harder to spam summon in Magic The Gathering than in yugioh.

In Magic The Gathering, the minimum deck size is usually 60 cards as opposed to yugioh's 40 cards meaning you have to play more cards, resulting in a lower chance of you drawing the key combo starters you need unless you mulligan and draw a new hand in return for 1 less card in your opening hand.

In Magic The Gathering, it will usually be taking you multiple turns before you can get your powerful combo going like CrystalMusic said, due to mana requirements and stuff. In those turns, your opponent can be preparing to disrupt your combo.

In Magic The Gathering, there are a lot less generic cards than there are in yugioh. In yugioh, you can run something like Harpie's Feather Duster to deal with all the Spells or Traps, and Raigeki to deal with monsters. In Magic The Gathering, it's more like you have to run a card specifically to deal with lands, a card specifically to deal with artifacts, a card specifically to deal with enchantments, different cards for dealing with specific kinds of creatures, a card specifically to deal with face-down cards, a card specifically to deal with instants, a card specifically to deal with sorceries, and so on. There are cards like Universal Solvent that exist than can cover all of these so you don't have to run a specific card for each of these threats, but that requires like 7 mana, and other cards like Universal Solvent that can deal with a variety of different kinds of threats also either have high costs or other crazy restrictions placed on them.

In Magic The Gathering, there is no Extra Deck, meaning you will always have to either draw into any boss monster that you want to bring out, or search it through some other specific situational method, making many strategies even less consistent.

Magic The Gathering is ultimately easier to learn but harder to master than yugioh is due to the wider variety of formats, cards, and strategies, and also due to the fact that it isn't as crystal clear what the best deck currently is in Magic The Gathering as it is in yugioh.

DuskWill wrote:
Debt wrote:

Well, it seemed to lack untapped lands for River's Rebuke. And, yes, it was mostly a meme deck, but it was a high risk/high reward kind of deck: Image

"This dude" you're referring to requires at least 4 mana, meaning unless you got some way to accelerate your mana growth, you won't be able to even begin this combo until 3 of your turns later.

DuskWill

Post #50 by DuskWill » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:29 pm

It wasn't my intention comparing how soon a bunch of monsters can be summoned in each game, but rather how MTG also has mechanics that can summon a myriad of creatures in one turn and it doesn't matter in the end, considering how every deck can have alternatives to stop them on their tracks or deal with most, if not all the creatures. Both points are also applicable in YGO.
This is...

Debt

Post #51 by Debt » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:06 am

I just realized why he wants no banlist. He wants to play ponies and transformers

DuskWill

Post #52 by DuskWill » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:12 am

Debt wrote:I just realized why he wants no banlist. He wants to play ponies and transformers

That can be done in MTG, although not officially:

I think doing that in YGO is too much of a stretch, though.
This is...

KTeknis

Post #53 by KTeknis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:15 am

Untap supports Custom Cards too? Or maybe other MTG simulator?
I have interest in badly designed custom cards.
You saw these cards as terrible, I saw them as ideas.

Debt

Post #54 by Debt » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:16 am

DuskWill wrote:That can be done in MTG, although not officially:
I think doing that in YGO is too much of a stretch, though.

Those are what I was getting at. It's the only somewhat logical explanation why he wants formatless mtg, to play silver bordered cards even if they were made purely as collector's items.

Debt

Post #55 by Debt » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:21 am

KTeknis wrote:Untap supports Custom Cards too? Or maybe other MTG simulator?

I've seen customs on the untap card list but I'm not sure how they're curated. But mtg has cross promotional cards; my little ponies, transformers, godzilla and recently The Walking Dead cards have been printed by wotc. But ponies and transformers aren't made for play, Godzilla cards are alternate art of Ikoria cards and TWD has caused a lot of controversy.

KTeknis

Post #56 by KTeknis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:26 am

Debt wrote:
KTeknis wrote:Untap supports Custom Cards too? Or maybe other MTG simulator?

I've seen customs on the untap card list but I'm not sure how they're curated. But mtg has cross promotional cards; my little ponies, transformers, godzilla and recently The Walking Dead cards have been printed by wotc. But ponies and transformers aren't made for play, Godzilla cards are alternate art of Ikoria cards and TWD has caused a lot of controversy.

Oh, so they're just some extras added by Untap, not user made like DB?

Debt

Post #57 by Debt » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:51 am

KTeknis wrote:Oh, so they're just some extras added by Untap, not user made like DB?

I neither know nor do I care to find out more about it.

KTeknis

Post #58 by KTeknis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:39 pm

I decided to check Untap for my self. They're not just for MTG turns out, but also for almost every single TCG out there. Heck there's even a server for custom CCG there.
But i currently can't find room for Custom CCG, so i don't know what it usually does. is it for actual customs, or for CCG that aren't supported yet.

Return to “Spam Paradise”