AnimeMasterDub

Re: Weeaboo Hut Jr's- The General Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

Post #401 by AnimeMasterDub » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 am

Just don't mention the strips in Death the Kid's hair

Yang Xiao Long

Post #402 by Yang Xiao Long » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:52 am

2 episodes in. still boring...
Hashira | Tournament Organizer | Tournament Champion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sanger Zonvolt

Post #403 by Sanger Zonvolt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:22 am

The first three are a little weaker since they're basically just there to introduce characters. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I may be looking at it through rose-tinted glasses. I'd say if the Crona fight doesn't intrigue you then you could probably drop it

AnimeMasterDub

Post #404 by AnimeMasterDub » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:41 am

I can not tell if crona is a guy or a girl

Sanger Zonvolt

Post #405 by Sanger Zonvolt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:03 am

That's because Crona's gender is never confirmed. The subs and dubs only refer to Crona as Male because the English language only has "it" as a pronoun that doesn't imply gender, and translators find "it" to be dehumanizing

AnimeMasterDub

Post #406 by AnimeMasterDub » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 am

Its strange though how can someone be genderless? I know that it works in knights of sidonia but not soul eater. It makes no sense.

Sanger Zonvolt

Post #407 by Sanger Zonvolt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:23 pm

I said unconfirmed, not genderless. In Japanese it's entirely possible to refer to someone using pronouns that neither imply gender nor dehumanize the person.

AnimeMasterDub

Post #408 by AnimeMasterDub » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 pm

too bad there is no continuation of soul eater

Sanger Zonvolt

Post #409 by Sanger Zonvolt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm

I don't think there's much more they could build on. As far as I can tell, you can't just tack on the manga's ending because there are a plethora of minor plot details that change the course of the plot over time. You also can't really power creep Kishin Asura and make a new enemy. Lastly, as far as I can tell it doesn't have the notoriety FMA does to merit a full reboot anime based on the manga

Ultimately it's never good to over milk a series, and Soul Eater's run its course

AnimeMasterDub

Post #410 by AnimeMasterDub » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:44 pm

didn't the witches and meisters made a non aggression pact couldn't they make a season where they had to deal with some rouge meisters that hate witches too much to let things go and rouge witches that want to still do whatever they want regardless of the consequences

Sanger Zonvolt

Post #411 by Sanger Zonvolt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:54 pm

They could, but how is that going to compare to the conclusion we already have? Unless you create a threat equal to or greater than Asura, power level stays at a standstill and the scale of the stakes won't ever rise.

AnimeMasterDub

Post #412 by AnimeMasterDub » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:18 pm

If I could use Jojo as a reference to answer your question wasn't Dio, an immortal vampire who had no regards to human society and also the most dangerous of villians in the jojo universe died in the third series and yet they still continued the jojo series despite that. So what is to say that another anime series can't do the same? Even people thought that the naruto series would end after shippuden and yet they continued the series with Boruto.

Sanger Zonvolt

Post #413 by Sanger Zonvolt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:03 am

True, it is possible to have a show that lasts a long time, but it's not the same as plugging in a new enemy and some new protags.

There's a lot that goes into making every Jojo part feel fresh. A big part of it is the nature of Stands. Most Stands, especially after part 3, are less about power levels and more about tactical use of a power that would otherwise be narrow in scope. This makes battles focus less on who has a bigger Stand and more about discovering the nature of the other's power, dissecting the nature of the power, and figuring out how to apply one's own power to drive a metaphorical knife into any weaknesses. This sense of learning the nature of the others' Stands creates a sense of discovery that would normally come with exploring new, unknown worlds.

Soul Eater, on the other hand, was far less subtle with combat and was much more power creep oriented. Creating a successful sequel that feels fresh would require a much different take on how combat is handled or some other new way to recapture that sense of discovery so that it doesn't just feel like a cast swap and go right back to more power creep chaining. Certainly not impossible, but if the goal is to make something for the original fans, who were watching primarily for said power creep fights, and changing it in a way that it still appeals to them while being very different is not a simple task. The author would be better off just creating a new work altogether to recapture that sense of discovery. Probably worth mentioning that they tried something like this with Soul Eater Not, and that was far less entertaining.

Lastly, Boruto is high on my list of examples I use when I talk about over milked franchises. The anime goes nowhere for quite a few episodes and the only reason manga itself is more focused is because the author only does about 40 pages every month, half of rate of a weekly manga, and yet so much of it still feels like previously explored characters and plots. The only sequel I can think of in recent years that's less warranted is Dragon Ball Super

AnimeMasterDub

Post #414 by AnimeMasterDub » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:59 am

So the idea of a continuation of Soul Eater is a bit out of the ball park but still it isn't impossible many manga artist and writers go work on a new manga before adding on to an old one

Sanger Zonvolt

Post #415 by Sanger Zonvolt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:49 am

It's not a question of "Can it be done?" so much as it a question of "Should it be done?" A sequel to Dragon Ball Z (i.e. Super) could be done, was done, and turned out awful.

The Exiled Tombstone

Post #416 by The Exiled Tombstone » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:50 am

I liked the Dragon Ball Z anime.

Sanger Zonvolt

Post #417 by Sanger Zonvolt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:59 am

I know it's not necessarily a popular opinion, but I find Dragon Ball Super to be particularly awful. If anyone really wants the full rant then I'll give it, but I've given it so many times IRL that I don't want to big down the thread with it

For the record, I find DBZ to be perfectly fine. Not something I salivate over, but nothing that really offends me

AnimeMasterDub

Post #418 by AnimeMasterDub » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:24 pm

Dragon Ball Super is a continuation of Dragon Ball Z Kai not Dragon Ball Z

Sanger Zonvolt

Post #419 by Sanger Zonvolt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:34 pm

Kai is literally just a cut-down version of DBZ. All the canon arcs start and end exactly the same and none of the non-canon arcs in the original anime affect the canon ones. It's just as accurate to say Super is a sequel to DBZ as it is to Kai

AnimeMasterDub

Post #420 by AnimeMasterDub » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:51 pm

then explain how gt fits into all of it

Return to “Spam Paradise”