So do the newer animes have more optimized decks now or do they still run jank?

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
| Hanverid |
Mood:

So do the newer animes have more optimized decks now or do they still run jank?

Post #1 by | Hanverid | » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:45 pm

I’ve been rewatching the original Yugioh anime and it’s kind of funny how everyone runs 1 ofs and don’t really have a cohesive game plan. What I’m curious about is, as Yugioh got faster, did the anime have crazy turns and super fast games now or is sort of the same?
Fire whoever designed that bottle. KaibaCorp's products shouldn't bend so easily.

Christen57

Post #2 by Christen57 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:48 pm

The anime does an atrocious job at teaching players how to be decent at yugioh, and this is dangerous because this is why I used to be so bad at the game for a long time back on dueling network before I got better. I would often play certain cards in my deck simply because my favorite character in the anime played them, assuming that if it was good in that anime character's deck and helped them win some duels here and there then it would automatically be good in mine too, and this might be true for some powerful cards like Monster Reborn, but not for most of those cards.
| Hanverid | wrote:I’ve been rewatching the original Yugioh anime and it’s kind of funny how everyone runs 1 ofs and don’t really have a cohesive game plan.

My guess is that the writers of the anime want to have the duelists do a very wide variety of different things, and make a very wide variety of different plays in their duels, so that it keeps things fresh for the audience. It would likely get boring to the kids watching if a certain character made the exact same consistent plays over and over again. Yuya from arc-v always dueled with this concept in mind, not really caring about demolishing his opponent, but putting on a good show. It's just that it doesn't work out so well in real life.

| Hanverid | wrote:What I’m curious about is, as Yugioh got faster, did the anime have crazy turns and super fast games now or is sort of the same?

I stopped watching the anime after arc-v, so I don't know about vrains, although I might go back to watching it again sometime in the future, but the anime is sometimes fast, and sometimes slow.

You would think that games would end faster since they start with 4000 life points instead of 8000, but they end slower since characters spend so much time explaining every single one of their cards and effects to their opponent, and being all dramatic about it too. For instance, normally if you want to pendulum summon a monster and attack, you just place the right cards in your pendulum zone and pendulum summon the thing so you can attack.

Simple, right?

Well in the anime, every time Yuya wants to pendulum summon, he can't just play the cards and summon it normally. No, no, no. He, for some reason, always has to be like "i sET DA penDULum ScaLe with MUH sCAle ONe stArgazER maGICian aND mUh sCale eIGht TIMeGAzeR mAGician!
i'M tAkINg CoNTrOL of DiS duel StaRtING NOW!
now I'M aLlOWED TO PENdUluM SUMmON MUH MOnSTERS dAT ArE lEvELS Two THRoUgh sEVeN ALL aT DA samE timE!
sWINg faR penDuLum! CaRve thE ARC Of VICTOry!
muh monSteRs ARe reADY to SwInG InTO aCtIon!
HOp To iT peRfORMAPAL Hip hippO! shOw 'em YER STUfF peRFoRmaPal WHiP SnAke!
TuRN UP thE hEaT, OdD-eyes PeNDUlum draGoN!
NOw, odD-eyeS PEnDULuM dragon! AtTAck, wiTH sPIraL FlAmE STRIKE!!11! And daT's a WRaP!
"

And the characters do this in every duel, pretty much all the time, taking long periods of time just to explain basic effects, as well as being dramatic and obnoxious. There was this one duel in yugioh 5ds that lasted 3 to 4 episodes, because the characters were engaging in so much monologue, dragging out the duel for that long.... all despite players starting with 4000 life points.

Return to “Serious Discussions”