About duels in Classic after April

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
DuskWill

About duels in Classic after April

Post #1 by DuskWill » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 pm

I feel like someone should have asked the question already, but also that whoever did wouldn't be appreciated by some members. And I kinda get Dueling Book's philosophy regarding it's development, almost never shutting down features (if I ever heard of one that got shut down), rather including more. Still...

How should Classic duels be handled after April 1st?

Master Rules will change after that date, reflecting a big deal in general gameplay. Link Monsters will become less relevant for a majority of decks, with the exception of Pendulum decks and decks that don't rely at all on the Extra Deck. Fusion, Synchro and Xyz monsters will revert their functionalities and strength to basically how it was before 2017, having the Extra Monster Zone as an option to summon as well.

Link Monsters were never really the game mechanic that changed the game, but rather the restrictions regarding summons from the Extra Deck; you either limited yourself to one at a time or resorted to Links to expand your options. That's basically the main reason why people hosts duels in Classic, Master Rule 3 style. For the first time in the game's history, people were forced to use a certain kind of card in every deck just to make it viable.

Since after April that requirement will be lifted for most decks, it ended up pleasing a great deal of players, to the point that many are testing decks in "Master Rule 5" in unrated duels. Now, Pendulum Decks were the only one who did not revert its functionalities, but, at the same time, it's incredibly underplayed in Classic duels. Moreover, a vast majority of people who hosts Classic duel rooms includes in their duel note: "No pends". Hosting in Classic excludes having to deal with Link Monsters as well. Heck, some people would host on Master Rule 2, given the option, in which would result not having Pendulum monsters or scales for that matter to deal with.

Obviously, I'm only considering here the practicalities of the new Master Rules for both nostalgia-driven players and those who keeps up with the times. Even if we didn't have duels in Classic, people would still add restrictions in their duel note anyway. Maybe this change could unify interests among them, as they're all be entitled to an extra zone for their Fusion, Synchro or Xyz Summon. Pendulum and Links will be nerfed in comparison, even though pendulum zones in the backrow and the current restrictions in Pendulum Summon are a great nerf as it is already.

With that in mind, I don't consider changing entirely to the new Master Rules any kind of imposition towards nostalgia-driven players. Adapting to Master Rule 4 was an imposition in itself for all players. Now it simply won't the case and players would actually hinder their strategies and game by not re-adapting.

Maybe I'm overthinking about how very casual players are unnecessarily holding themselves back to their full potential in the game, denying 3 to 6 years of innovations, sometimes even more than that. It's entirely their choice, of course, but maybe they will be missing more than they're bargaining for. What do you think?
This is...
I saw the strategy I need!

apocralyph

Post #2 by apocralyph » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:10 am

>"Never shut down features"
Group chat would like to know your location.
Classic will likely remain the same as it is now, MR5 doesnt add or remove zones from the field so no reason to change advanced or rated duels, just have it stated before hand if youre using Mr5(2020 rules) or not.

Return to “Serious Discussions”