How do I get better?

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
!!! (AQ) Blinkill
Mood:

How do I get better?

Post #1 by !!! (AQ) Blinkill » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:41 pm

Hey guys!! After playing in my nationals and getting smashed i'd like to get better at the game. I struggle with maintaining the control of the duel mainly because I negate the wrong things and generally make a lot of misplays.

How does one overcome theese things and get better? Any tips will really come in handy for competitive play.

Thanks a lot.
Signature testing, so it won't be deleted (Again).

xDEADCENTREx

Post #2 by xDEADCENTREx » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Stop being so reckless, and wait to see what you "need" to respond to. Remember not everything needs to be responded to, because it's better to + than 1 for 1 a lot, and you can make your opponent use more resources by waiting and baiting out their key cards, and making your resources useful at tackling some of the greater threats that your opponent will have to pressure you with. Keep these in mind with meta side/main staples that threaten your deck, and prepare for them with a side to counter what you expect to be playing against, that threatens your decks win rate. Keep that at the forefront and work on deckbuilding, maybe scope some opponent's that expose what decks they use, and get an idea before your decks registered if able for greater success, and make your opponent's weaknesses your strengths.

Really gauge your opponent during the duel, they will often have a "tell" as to when they feel threatened by your plays. Capitalize on this and gain the advantage when you can and keep pressure on the opponent. You are playing control, so work to control the board (I do this often with altergeist because I feel it's easy, and troll, with a lot of toolbox options and recycling).

!!! (AQ) Blinkill
Mood:

Post #3 by !!! (AQ) Blinkill » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:06 pm

I guess I just gotta keep at it, and eventually it'll make a bit more sense to me.
Signature testing, so it won't be deleted (Again).

xDEADCENTREx

Post #4 by xDEADCENTREx » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:19 pm

Exactly, it took me years just to fully understand PSCT, and it really helped my experience with games. Even learning the flow chart, turn player priority really help the gameplay immensely when you got a grip on how to use the mechanics during gameplay to your advantage, or your deck's goal.
Most decks have different playstyles, and your can prepare a deck that rivals them in the meta with your main/side choice, again why I pick altergeist is I normally go 2nd, and capitalize off of the potential of Evenly Matched in the Main Deck, because I prefer the +1 I get from being 2nd, using a control based deck.

Christen57

Post #5 by Christen57 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:16 pm

We can't help you without a replay of your game(s).

Return to “Serious Discussions”