The "lack of judge issue" issue.

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
Sound4

Re: The "lack of judge issue" issue.

Post #41 by Sound4 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:09 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Wek wrote:
You not seeing judges online doesn't make them a glorified club all by itself. I already mentioned the thousands of calls individual judges have taken, let alone whatever the full total is if you add all of the judges together.

Since you've brought these up though, why is it Genexwrecker says they won't hire you, and have you passed the exam? Put this claim to the test?

Genexwrecker doesn't like my attitude as it wouldn't be fitting for a judge, despite me having the ability to be professional. Which to be fair, I do understand their stance on the matter. Genexwrecker can correct me if I am recalling incorrectly though.

Due to that reason, I have no reason to pass the exam let alone to attempt it.

Sides, I even stated on multiple occasions I wouldn't be a good fit for it anyways, cause I'd have a 0 tolerance policy and would freeze users permanently with extreme prejudice when it comes to rule breaking and would instantly deny all appeals on the matter.

So yeah giving me any kind of power like that, can either be a really bad idea, or if circumstances required it, it'd be a boon.
its more about the bias than the attitude. But hey you never know till you try.

"But hey you never know till you try."
This contradicts what Marshie said earlier. Try the schedule for judges then.

ominous

Post #42 by ominous » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:10 pm

Sound4 wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:
Sound4 wrote:You simply don't understand how the players feel. Waiting on a judge for hours without one on. I do understand how the players feel because I am one myself. This is a serious issue on DB that has not been fixed for years. That is simply pathetic and the fact that you are trying to defend that is just sad. There is clearly a flaw within your system and you ignore it.

You can't build a house without builders. You can't run a hospital without doctors. You can't have a criminal justice system without lawyers.

If it was up to me, I'd have a judge online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I do not have the judges to do that. I cannot force the judges I do have to work overtime for me for free. I do understand how the players feel because I am one myself. But I cannot magically snap my fingers to get a judge online the second you need one.

The only solution I have is to hire more judges. I do understand how the players feel because I am one myself.

I am going to be honest Marshie. You have so poorly read my post which resulted in a objectively false statement. Let me break it down.

"I cannot force the judges I do have to work overtime for me for free."
Even though you are one of the more active judges I don't see what "overtime" you are talking about. Dealing with a long judge call isn't working "overtime" it is something to be expected doing a judge call and any judge should leave themselves with plenty of free time in case of a long judge call. Like this duel:https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=51030049

"I do understand how the players feel because I am one myself"
Marshie Marshie Marshie. Did you read my post? Seriously? I clearly said that the reason you judges would not be able to understand the players feelings is because of your positions on DB. If you were playing a duel on DB you would be able to solve most rulings that may come up because you are a judge. Neither player would not have to be forced to call a judge. So no you will never understand. You being a player as well is irrelevant.

You later on talk about me passing the exam myself to fill the DB "population". Again you clearly didn't read what I said. One person will not change an issue that has been present that years. So what difference would a single person make?

There clearly needs to be a talk with the DB community about how to fix the issue of inactivity of judges. In fact it feels like the issue has gotten worse with there being more judges. Why keep repeating the same thing when it has not worked for years?

Easy to complain about a problem you have every power to assist in fixing but refuse to take part in. you want to help, apply. This is a qualification issue, not a willingness issue.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #43 by DarwisBellium92 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:43 pm

Sound4 as DB judge?

NOPE
Im cardmaker pioneer with 15 years experience, KONAMI member illustrator and 360 degrees artist
Albaz/Branded and Gem-Knight/Tearlaments/Shaddoll player

"Not crediting an artist for your crappy custom cards is a world crime."
Cit.

Genexwrecker

Post #44 by Genexwrecker » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:17 pm

Sound4 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Genexwrecker doesn't like my attitude as it wouldn't be fitting for a judge, despite me having the ability to be professional. Which to be fair, I do understand their stance on the matter. Genexwrecker can correct me if I am recalling incorrectly though.

Due to that reason, I have no reason to pass the exam let alone to attempt it.

Sides, I even stated on multiple occasions I wouldn't be a good fit for it anyways, cause I'd have a 0 tolerance policy and would freeze users permanently with extreme prejudice when it comes to rule breaking and would instantly deny all appeals on the matter.

So yeah giving me any kind of power like that, can either be a really bad idea, or if circumstances required it, it'd be a boon.
its more about the bias than the attitude. But hey you never know till you try.

"But hey you never know till you try."
This contradicts what Marshie said earlier. Try the schedule for judges then.
for those concerned the schedule thing was already tried a long time ago it did not work as you might think. It was probably the most horrible idea implemented.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Renji Asuka

Post #45 by Renji Asuka » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:24 pm

ominous wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
ominous wrote:DB isnt a church, judge positions are not the same as a food drive that is organized once a month.

Tell me you don't understand how volunteering works without telling me.

Volunteering is offering your time willingly without payment. Youre confusing a judge, the person, with judging, the actual work that they're volunteering to do. Having the ability to do something does not require you to do it, if it did, you would not be volunteering. If you have a problem with the amount of judges take the judge test and volunteer your own time.

Any time you volunteer in real life, there is still time frames in which YOU MUST SHOW UP and WORK FOR A SET TIME.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Genexwrecker

Post #46 by Genexwrecker » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:26 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
ominous wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Tell me you don't understand how volunteering works without telling me.

Volunteering is offering your time willingly without payment. Youre confusing a judge, the person, with judging, the actual work that they're volunteering to do. Having the ability to do something does not require you to do it, if it did, you would not be volunteering. If you have a problem with the amount of judges take the judge test and volunteer your own time.

Any time you volunteer in real life, there is still time frames in which YOU MUST SHOW UP and WORK FOR A SET TIME.

Outside of scheduled events such as church which is only on Sundays volunteer places take any help regardless of availability.

Renji Asuka

Post #47 by Renji Asuka » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:56 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:
You can't build a house without builders. You can't run a hospital without doctors. You can't have a criminal justice system without lawyers.

If it was up to me, I'd have a judge online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I do not have the judges to do that. I cannot force the judges I do have to work overtime for me for free. I do understand how the players feel because I am one myself. But I cannot magically snap my fingers to get a judge online the second you need one.

The only solution I have is to hire more judges. I have a judge exam to help me obtain a population where I can hire judges from. That population is pretty small, hence why we are in this position. If you'd like to help me fill that population, pass that exam yourself.

Or, here's an idea.

Create a schedule for the volunteers.

And yes, even volunteers have to abide by a schedule when they volunteer to do stuff.

Actually you don’t go off somebody else’s schedule when you volunteer. You go off your own. Its volunteer. Aka not something one needs go do and does when they are able to. They volunteer at places and hours that work for them not the owner. The entire point of volunteer is it something extra you do in your free time not someone else’s. Even these so called places that demand volunteer schedules still have people working at only hours the volunteer can work or agree to. Hobbies like this also cannot remotely be compared to an actual volunteer job. Even the owner just does things when they are able and not on a schedule no matter how badly the site may need it.

Yes you actually do have to (generally) abide by a schedule for volunteering.

If you volunteer to feed the homeless lunch, you still show up an hour or 2 earlier to help set things up, stick around to feed them, then stay to help clean things up (though I seen people leave during the clean up process).

If you volunteer to help a person move, you still should show up as early as possible to beat the heat (if in the summer).

But the way I see it, being a judge is nothing more than a glorified club.

Hell just having them online (not necessarily taking judge calls) can at least create the illusion that judges are active and will make people think twice before cheating.

Judges cannot keep existing the way it is currently as they are useless. When judges are not online for 99% of the time that's a problem. No I'm not saying that judges should be online 24/7.

There's a reason why I haven't played in Ranked in a long time (not talking about GOAT ranked as I did that semi recently just to get a feel for GOAT again) cause I find myself to get into weird situations when it comes to card rulings with no clear answer and because a judge wasn't on after 10 minutes of needing a judge, my opponent straight up quit the game. I shouldn't be able to get wins like that in ranked.

The situation was something like my opponent having a monster and I used Crackdown on it to take it. My opponent used I think Mind Control to take it back. So I tell my opponent, I never been in this situation before, so I ask them wouldn't the monster just come back to me? My opponent said yes yet they still kept spamming the target of the monster. While there was some communication issue there, I called a judge hoping to get someone more knowledgeable. I wasn't trying to steal a game I just genuinely didn't know how to proceed with that and nothing I saw online had any info for this situation.

So how can situations like this resolve properly if no judge ever goes online?

You claimed (I can't back it up one way or the other) you already tried a schedule and it didn't work. So why didn't it work? From an outsider's perspective the judges are not willing to do the job they willingly signed up for which goes back to the argument I had. Why are you a judge if you can't dedicate a set time to be active as a judge?

Genexwrecker

Post #48 by Genexwrecker » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:05 pm

This isnt an argument you are incorrect end of that side topic.

ominous

Post #49 by ominous » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:55 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Or, here's an idea.

And yes, even volunteers have to abide by a schedule when they volunteer to do stuff.

Actually you don’t go off somebody else’s schedule when you volunteer. You go off your own. Its volunteer. Aka not something one needs go do and does when they are able to. They volunteer at places and hours that work for them not the owner. The entire point of volunteer is it something extra you do in your free time not someone else’s. Even these so called places that demand volunteer schedules still have people working at only hours the volunteer can work or agree to. Hobbies like this also cannot remotely be compared to an actual volunteer job. Even the owner just does things when they are able and not on a schedule no matter how badly the site may need it.

If you volunteer to feed the homeless lunch, you still show up an hour or 2 earlier to help set things up, stick around to feed them, then stay to help clean things up (though I seen people leave during the clean up process).

If you volunteer to help a person move, you still should show up as early as possible to beat the heat (if in the summer).

Hell just having them online (not necessarily taking judge calls) can at least create the illusion that judges are active and will make people think twice before cheating.

Judges cannot keep existing the way it is currently as they are useless. When judges are not online for 99% of the time that's a problem. No I'm not saying that judges should be online 24/7.

There's a reason why I haven't played in Ranked in a long time (not talking about GOAT ranked as I did that semi recently just to get a feel for GOAT again) cause I find myself to get into weird situations when it comes to card rulings with no clear answer and because a judge wasn't on after 10 minutes of needing a judge, my opponent straight up quit the game. I shouldn't be able to get wins like that in ranked.

The situation was something like my opponent having a monster and I used Crackdown on it to take it. My opponent used I think Mind Control to take it back. So I tell my opponent, I never been in this situation before, so I ask them wouldn't the monster just come back to me? My opponent said yes yet they still kept spamming the target of the monster. While there was some communication issue there, I called a judge hoping to get someone more knowledgeable. I wasn't trying to steal a game I just genuinely didn't know how to proceed with that and nothing I saw online had any info for this situation.

You claimed (I can't back it up one way or the other) you already tried a schedule and it didn't work. So why didn't it work? From an outsider's perspective the judges are not willing to do the job they willingly signed up for which goes back to the argument I had. Why are you a judge if you can't dedicate a set time to be active as a judge?

"Generally" not on db.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

ominous

Post #50 by ominous » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:55 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Or, here's an idea.

"Generally" not on db.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

ominous

Post #51 by ominous » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:04 pm

Nothing is stopping either of you from answering ruling questions regardless of judge status. If you did, I'm sure you would notice roughly 80 to 90% of ruling questions or answered by reading the card text
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

greg503

Post #52 by greg503 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:33 pm

Sound4 wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Actually you do go off someone's schedule when you volunteer.

I volunteered at the church to pass out food each month, guess what? I have to be there by 9 AM to help set everything up and to pass out food as people come early.

I have volunteered to help set up plays, again I had to show up at a certain time.

So this idea that "you don't go off somebody's else's schedule when you volunteer" isn't an actual argument. All you're doing is creating excuses.

I'm confused on what argument you think I'm making. If I set up schedules for my volunteer judges, they will leave. It is that simple. And I can't stop them from leaving, because I don't hold any leverage over them...because they are volunteers. And while I let Genexwrecker have SkyFyre13 and Tote as slaves, I don't hold all of them as slaves (for legal reasons, that's a joke).

These aren't excuses. It's reality.

You have not even tried it. How do you know they "will" leave? You have no evidence to support that.

Let me break down the psychology here. Would you want to work voluntarily (unpaid) for a site that enforces a job like schedule? Of course not, most people don't want to work 1.5 to 2 jobs simultaneously.
Buy Floowandereeze

Wek

Post #53 by Wek » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:42 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
ominous wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Tell me you don't understand how volunteering works without telling me.

Having "in real life" is an awkward requirement when the topic in question isn't.

Wek

Post #54 by Wek » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:51 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:If you volunteer to feed the homeless lunch, you still show up an hour or 2 earlier to help set things up, stick around to feed them, then stay to help clean things up (though I seen people leave during the clean up process).

So much of this already got covered. :lol: viewtopic.php?p=97018#p97018 (post #25) just for starters with all the scheduling stuff. No lunch or heat for DB scheduling to worry about. It's going to get very boring to link to the past posts that reply to your points if you keep repeating stuff already answered though. :| That wasn't the only one, but I'm not going to go do that for every repeated point.

Renji Asuka

Post #55 by Renji Asuka » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:11 am

Wek wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
ominous wrote:Volunteering is offering your time willingly without payment. Youre confusing a judge, the person, with judging, the actual work that they're volunteering to do. Having the ability to do something does not require you to do it, if it did, you would not be volunteering. If you have a problem with the amount of judges take the judge test and volunteer your own time.

Having "in real life" is an awkward requirement when the topic in question isn't.

Irrelevant, volunteer work is volunteer work regardless if it's online or real life.

ominous

Post #56 by ominous » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:00 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Wek wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Any time you volunteer in real life, there is still time frames in which YOU MUST SHOW UP and WORK FOR A SET TIME.

Irrelevant, volunteer work is volunteer work regardless if it's online or real life.

Irrelevant kinda like you arguing, the answer won't change, the problem is not judges db needs better players.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

Renji Asuka

Post #57 by Renji Asuka » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:31 am

ominous wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Wek wrote:

Irrelevant kinda like you arguing, the answer won't change, the problem is not judges db needs better players.

Glad you're okay with judges being lazy and not doing their job.

ScottyAdams

Post #58 by ScottyAdams » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:59 am

Uhh, guys - why are we treating "online" as not being a part of real life? This isn't some alternate reality kind of thing.

Online is still "real life".

What you should be referring to is "personal" or offline.

ominous

Post #59 by ominous » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:15 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
ominous wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Irrelevant, volunteer work is volunteer work regardless if it's online or real life.

Glad you're okay with judges being lazy and not doing their job.

They are doing their job they just aren't doing it on your schedule, they're judges, not babysitters. Want a better environment to play in? Make one.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

Genexwrecker

Post #60 by Genexwrecker » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:52 am

ScottyAdams wrote:Uhh, guys - why are we treating "online" as not being a part of real life? This isn't some alternate reality kind of thing.

Online is still "real life".

What you should be referring to is "personal" or offline.

Online and real life are completely different. Hence the entire reason this topic even exists

Return to “Serious Discussions”