The "lack of judge issue" issue.

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
ominous

The "lack of judge issue" issue.

Post #1 by ominous » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:27 am

Tl:Dr; if you want more judges then pass the judge exam and become one.

This issue has existed since Dueling network and the answer is the same, judges are not babysitters, they are not paid they have lives of their own, if you cannot be adults and play on a platform that doesn't force compliance then there are plenty of other platforms to play on. The idea of chaining DB judges to their desks to answer "does ash negate desires" is ridiculous, 9/10 issues judges are called for can be resolved by reading the cards and being adults. If someone's trolling, leave, no one but you cares about your fake internet points. If someone is harassing you, block, report, move on.

Judges shouldn't be responsible for your poor judgement or lack of common sense.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

DarwisBellium92
Mood:

Post #2 by DarwisBellium92 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:55 am

Honestly, for a judge during in the rating, i waiting 4 hours or that judge is a "ghost" lately
Im cardmaker pioneer with 15 years experience, KONAMI member illustrator and 360 degrees artist
Albaz/Branded and Gem-Knight/Tearlaments/Shaddoll player

"Not crediting an artist for your crappy custom cards is a world crime."
Cit.

Sound4

Post #3 by Sound4 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:51 pm

ominous wrote:Tl:Dr; if you want more judges then pass the judge exam and become one.

This issue has existed since Dueling network and the answer is the same, judges are not babysitters, they are not paid they have lives of their own, if you cannot be adults and play on a platform that doesn't force compliance then there are plenty of other platforms to play on. The idea of chaining DB judges to their desks to answer "does ash negate desires" is ridiculous, 9/10 issues judges are called for can be resolved by reading the cards and being adults. If someone's trolling, leave, no one but you cares about your fake internet points. If someone is harassing you, block, report, move on.

Judges shouldn't be responsible for your poor judgement or lack of common sense.

You are missing the entire point. People want more judges to stop being taken advantage when one isn't online. Also not everyone is fir nor does have the ability to be a judge. Multiple YCS toppers play on this website and have had many issues with the lack of judges. No judge being on for hours is simply not sustainable and unacceptable.Also I didn't see people complaining about the lack on judges on DN. I can confirm this myself as I consistently see the same judge names on from time to time. Not other judges which shows the inactivity of judges.

greg503

Post #4 by greg503 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:00 pm

Sound4 wrote:I can confirm this myself as I consistently see the same judge names on from time to time. Not other judges which shows the inactivity of judges.

Because the judges you see are the only active judges on the platform, never mind time zones
Buy Floowandereeze

MarshieDemon

Post #5 by MarshieDemon » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:55 am

We are always open to hiring more judges, but for obvious reasons we are very selective. Our consideration for someone becoming a judge starts with passing the DB judge exam. We value ruling competence on DB, hence why our judge exam is (intended to be) more difficult than the Konami RC-2 exam.

As mentioned above, DB judges are not paid. This is a hobby to us and, therefore, we have jobs, school, relationships, etc. to keep up with as well. It's also easy to get burnt out really quickly. When starting, it's not unusual for a judge to want to take upwards of 50 judge calls a day every day for a few months, which causes them to then take a long break. That kind of burnout really happens often, especially since judge calls on DB can get a bit more...argumentative compared to judge calls you'd take at a Konami sanctioned event.

Head Administrator

Sound4

Post #6 by Sound4 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:00 am

MarshieDemon wrote:We are always open to hiring more judges, but for obvious reasons we are very selective. Our consideration for someone becoming a judge starts with passing the DB judge exam. We value ruling competence on DB, hence why our judge exam is (intended to be) more difficult than the Konami RC-2 exam.

As mentioned above, DB judges are not paid. This is a hobby to us and, therefore, we have jobs, school, relationships, etc. to keep up with as well. It's also easy to get burnt out really quickly. When starting, it's not unusual for a judge to want to take upwards of 50 judge calls a day every day for a few months, which causes them to then take a long break. That kind of burnout really happens often, especially since judge calls on DB can get a bit more...argumentative compared to judge calls you'd take at a Konami sanctioned event.

You simply don't understand how the players feel. Waiting on a judge for hours without one on. You judges say this because you don't know how it feels and you will never understand because of your positions on DB. This is a serious issue on DB that has not been fixed for years. That is simply pathetic and the fact that you are trying to defend that is just sad. There is clearly a flaw within your system and you ignore it.

greg503

Post #7 by greg503 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:47 pm

Sound4 wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:We are always open to hiring more judges, but for obvious reasons we are very selective. Our consideration for someone becoming a judge starts with passing the DB judge exam. We value ruling competence on DB, hence why our judge exam is (intended to be) more difficult than the Konami RC-2 exam.

You simply don't understand how the players feel. Waiting on a judge for hours without one on. You judges say this because you don't know how it feels and you will never understand because of your positions on DB. This is a serious issue on DB that has not been fixed for years. That is simply pathetic and the fact that you are trying to defend that is just sad. There is clearly a flaw within your system and you ignore it.

OR, you could get good at the rules and learn enough to become a DB Judge. Or at least to resolve more disputes without needing to call a judge.
Buy Floowandereeze

Sound4

Post #8 by Sound4 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:58 pm

greg503 wrote:
Sound4 wrote:

OR, you could get good at the rules and learn enough to become a DB Judge. Or at least to resolve more disputes without needing to call a judge.

That changes nothing. One person doesn't change a issue that has been present for years. Think before commenting. Also like I said earlier not everyone is not fit to be a judge. The fact that you intentionally ignored this shows how dishonest you are.

greg503

Post #9 by greg503 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:08 pm

Sound4 wrote:
greg503 wrote:
Sound4 wrote:You simply don't understand how the players feel. Waiting on a judge for hours without one on. You judges say this because you don't know how it feels and you will never understand because of your positions on DB. This is a serious issue on DB that has not been fixed for years. That is simply pathetic and the fact that you are trying to defend that is just sad. There is clearly a flaw within your system and you ignore it.

That changes nothing. One person doesn't change a issue that has been present for years. Think before commenting. Also like I said earlier not everyone is not fit to be a judge. The fact that you intentionally ignored this shows how dishonest you are.

But everyone is fit to be able to just get better at Yugioh and communicating on DB, reducing the amount of judge calls. If the skill issue of the playerbase is this bad, then there will never be enough good judges...
Buy Floowandereeze

Renji Asuka

Post #10 by Renji Asuka » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:43 pm

Sound4 wrote:
greg503 wrote:
Sound4 wrote:You simply don't understand how the players feel. Waiting on a judge for hours without one on. You judges say this because you don't know how it feels and you will never understand because of your positions on DB. This is a serious issue on DB that has not been fixed for years. That is simply pathetic and the fact that you are trying to defend that is just sad. There is clearly a flaw within your system and you ignore it.

You do know that for change to happen for others, you have to change yourself and also push others to change right?
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

MarshieDemon

Post #11 by MarshieDemon » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:02 pm

Sound4 wrote:

You can't build a house without builders. You can't run a hospital without doctors. You can't have a criminal justice system without lawyers.

If it was up to me, I'd have a judge online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I do not have the judges to do that. I cannot force the judges I do have to work overtime for me for free. I do understand how the players feel because I am one myself. But I cannot magically snap my fingers to get a judge online the second you need one.

The only solution I have is to hire more judges. I have a judge exam to help me obtain a population where I can hire judges from. That population is pretty small, hence why we are in this position. If you'd like to help me fill that population, pass that exam yourself.

Head Administrator

Renji Asuka

Post #12 by Renji Asuka » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:46 pm

MarshieDemon wrote:
Sound4 wrote:

You can't build a house without builders. You can't run a hospital without doctors. You can't have a criminal justice system without lawyers.

If it was up to me, I'd have a judge online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I do not have the judges to do that. I cannot force the judges I do have to work overtime for me for free. I do understand how the players feel because I am one myself. But I cannot magically snap my fingers to get a judge online the second you need one.

The only solution I have is to hire more judges. I have a judge exam to help me obtain a population where I can hire judges from. That population is pretty small, hence why we are in this position. If you'd like to help me fill that population, pass that exam yourself.

Or, here's an idea.

Create a schedule for the volunteers.

And yes, even volunteers have to abide by a schedule when they volunteer to do stuff.

Wek

Post #13 by Wek » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:18 am

Sound4 wrote:

You mean there don't exist judges who play on DB? :shock: Who somehow would never be in a duel that needs a judge when there isn't another online. :?

Wek

Post #14 by Wek » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:20 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:

Or, here's an idea.

And yes, even volunteers have to abide by a schedule when they volunteer to do stuff.

Or they can choose instead to reject the schedule and not volunteer for those time periods. :| What motivation would they have to follow-up through with a forced schedule?

greg503

Post #15 by greg503 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:23 am

Wek wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:

Or, here's an idea.

Or they can choose instead to reject the schedule and not volunteer for those time periods. :| What motivation would they have to follow-up through with a forced schedule?

Indeed, creating scheduling for judges and increasing the number of judges are at best unrelated and at worst trying to enforce a schedule would reduce that number
Buy Floowandereeze

Renji Asuka

Post #16 by Renji Asuka » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:42 am

Wek wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:

Or, here's an idea.

If they don't show up, they lose their status as a judge.

Simple as that.

If you can't or are not willing to put time into a schedule then you shouldn't had been a judge to begin with.

Genexwrecker

Post #17 by Genexwrecker » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:10 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:

Or, here's an idea.

Actually you don’t go off somebody else’s schedule when you volunteer. You go off your own. Its volunteer. Aka not something one needs go do and does when they are able to. They volunteer at places and hours that work for them not the owner. The entire point of volunteer is it something extra you do in your free time not someone else’s. Even these so called places that demand volunteer schedules still have people working at only hours the volunteer can work or agree to. Hobbies like this also cannot remotely be compared to an actual volunteer job. Even the owner just does things when they are able and not on a schedule no matter how badly the site may need it.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

MarshieDemon

Post #18 by MarshieDemon » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:39 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:

Or, here's an idea.

Being told when you have to work is the definition of the antonym of "volunteer."

If I told my judges "Here's the times you have to judge. If you don't like it, get out." then I'd have exactly 2 judges on my staff. If that.

Head Administrator

Wek

Post #19 by Wek » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:53 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Wek wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Or, here's an idea.

If they don't show up, they lose their status as a judge.

Simple as that.

If you can't or are not willing to put time into a schedule then you shouldn't had been a judge to begin with.

Ok, so they lose their status as a judge, and now there are less judges? Now the judges who left have fewer things to deal with, and there are fewer judges. :| That number would likely only go down from there as judges decide it's better not to deal with the timelines. Don't see there being enough judges left over to sustain whatever schedule it is you're looking for.

Renji Asuka

Post #20 by Renji Asuka » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:13 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:

Or, here's an idea.

Actually you don’t go off somebody else’s schedule when you volunteer. You go off your own. Its volunteer. Aka not something one needs go do and does when they are able to. They volunteer at places and hours that work for them not the owner. The entire point of volunteer is it something extra you do in your free time not someone else’s. Even these so called places that demand volunteer schedules still have people working at only hours the volunteer can work or agree to. Hobbies like this also cannot remotely be compared to an actual volunteer job. Even the owner just does things when they are able and not on a schedule no matter how badly the site may need it.

Actually you do go off someone's schedule when you volunteer.

I volunteered at the church to pass out food each month, guess what? I have to be there by 9 AM to help set everything up and to pass out food as people come early.

I have volunteered to help set up plays, again I had to show up at a certain time.

So this idea that "you don't go off somebody's else's schedule when you volunteer" isn't an actual argument. All you're doing is creating excuses.

Return to “Serious Discussions”