The "lack of judge issue" issue.

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
Biggus Dickus

Re: The "lack of judge issue" issue.

Post #121 by Biggus Dickus » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:55 pm

MarshieDemon wrote:
ominous wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:If a person needs common sense and human decency listed as a hiring requirement they are already not qualified

Db players are the kind people who would argue a factual statement is incorrect because of punctuation, they need it spelled out, otherwise they'll argue it.

My counterargument to that is that our hiring choices are fairly judgmental. The passing score is the lowest bar needed to even be considered, but beyond that it just comes down to whether we think you'd be a good fit for the team. There doesn't seem to be a point to spell it out to people because if we just don't think they'd be a good fit, we just don't hire them, and there's really nothing that can be done about it.

And, I'll be honest, I'd rather have someone on my staff who doesn't need to be told to be a good person in order to be a good person. If you need to be told to be a good person to be a good person, you probably aren't a good person.

Doesn't this process automatically deter people who are not veterans on the site?
I am interested in becoming a judge, the main reason being that I want to know more about the game and to help fix the occasional judgeless situations in the timeframes I am on. Looking from the outside in, it feels like a closed circle that is difficult to get into unless you know other people on this site well (I might be wrong, as I am not very active in communicating with other users), and it's a shame because I believe that a large number of people who apply as a judge have good intentions and fail because of auxiliary requirements.

Genexwrecker

Post #122 by Genexwrecker » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:27 pm

Biggus Dickus wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:
ominous wrote:Db players are the kind people who would argue a factual statement is incorrect because of punctuation, they need it spelled out, otherwise they'll argue it.

My counterargument to that is that our hiring choices are fairly judgmental. The passing score is the lowest bar needed to even be considered, but beyond that it just comes down to whether we think you'd be a good fit for the team. There doesn't seem to be a point to spell it out to people because if we just don't think they'd be a good fit, we just don't hire them, and there's really nothing that can be done about it.

And, I'll be honest, I'd rather have someone on my staff who doesn't need to be told to be a good person in order to be a good person. If you need to be told to be a good person to be a good person, you probably aren't a good person.

Doesn't this process automatically deter people who are not veterans on the site?
I am interested in becoming a judge, the main reason being that I want to know more about the game and to help fix the occasional judgeless situations in the timeframes I am on. Looking from the outside in, it feels like a closed circle that is difficult to get into unless you know other people on this site well (I might be wrong, as I am not very active in communicating with other users), and it's a shame because I believe that a large number of people who apply as a judge have good intentions and fail because of auxiliary requirements.

Why would this deter non veterans from applying. If you can take the exam, pass it, be able to apply the exam to real call situations, have respected behavior and treat others with respect you have a good chance to get hired.

Seems like this would only deter people who have a reason to be afraid of a background check.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

ominous

Post #123 by ominous » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:51 pm

Biggus Dickus wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:
ominous wrote:Db players are the kind people who would argue a factual statement is incorrect because of punctuation, they need it spelled out, otherwise they'll argue it.

Nothing is stopping you from helping in "judgeless situations" by answering questions in chat and yes you need to have built a reputation in order to be a judge, as stated, otherwise you get egomaniacs abusing authority. Knowing rulings does not make you a judge, being about to deescalate a situation does.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

Volstgalph

Post #124 by Volstgalph » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:19 am

There should be a ruling bot in chat that when someone says judge it has like a database of basic ruling answers to help

sentinelsean

Post #125 by sentinelsean » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:03 am

Volstgalph wrote:There should be a ruling bot in chat that when someone says judge it has like a database of basic ruling answers to help

i like the idea. But personally, i think a bigger issue is even if you showed them an email from konami saying you are right with the exact cards in question being used. a great deal of people would still say i am going to wait for a judge and its within their rights on this site to do so. but yes having a chat just for judge calls from the public sounds nice. it wont get clogged up and it might solve some of the calls on its own.

ominous

Post #126 by ominous » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:47 pm

sentinelsean wrote:
Volstgalph wrote:There should be a ruling bot in chat that when someone says judge it has like a database of basic ruling answers to help

i like the idea. But personally, i think a bigger issue is even if you showed them an email from konami saying you are right with the exact cards in question being used. a great deal of people would still say i am going to wait for a judge and its within their rights on this site to do so. but yes having a chat just for judge calls from the public sounds nice. it wont get clogged up and it might solve some of the calls on its own.

If they have the official ruling and refuse to move forward then leave and report, they aren't looking to solve the problem they're stalling.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

ominous

Post #127 by ominous » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:53 pm

Google.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

Christen57

Post #128 by Christen57 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:49 pm

ominous wrote:

Google.

It would be better if official sources acceptable on duelingbook were listed. Google isn't a yugioh source. It's a search engine where you may or may not find sources, and where even the sources you do find may or may not be trustworthy.

For example, https://db.ygorganization.com is one of the sites that can be listed as a source duelingbook users and judges can trust and rely on.

Problem is, not every card and effect interaction is listed on that site, so sometimes you still get into ruling disputes that can't be resolved by consulting db.ygorganization

Still, this would be a big help, and help resolve many disputes without needing to wait for a judge.

Genexwrecker

Post #129 by Genexwrecker » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:26 pm

Christen57 wrote:
ominous wrote:

Google.

It would be better if official sources acceptable on duelingbook were listed. Google isn't a yugioh source. It's a search engine where you may or may not find sources, and where even the sources you do find may or may not be trustworthy.

For example, https://db.ygorganization.com is one of the sites that can be listed as a source duelingbook users and judges can trust and rely on.

Problem is, not every card and effect interaction is listed on that site, so sometimes you still get into ruling disputes that can't be resolved by consulting db.ygorganization

Still, this would be a big help, and help resolve many disputes without needing to wait for a judge.

for ruling sources just apply basic logic. official sources from konami are accepted as well as our own listed policies. ygorganization is not a source but the database links all their pages have that they are translations of are. and even if we were to list acceptable sources aka konamis sources people just say EWWWW RANDOM INTERNET VIRUS ME NO CLICK and refuse to accept the source

ominous

Post #130 by ominous » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:03 pm

Christen57 wrote:
ominous wrote:

Google.

70-80% of ruling calls can be solved with common sense and reading comprehension, with at least 10-15% being answered via online resources and 5% actually requiring a judge intervention. the vast majority of judge calls don't actually require judges they require 2 people of middle school level literacy and communication skills. Again this is not a "yugioh is hard" issue, it's a player issue.
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

ominous

Post #131 by ominous » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:45 am

And who exactly is programming this bot with responses to all those ruling questions? And why do we need it if the resource they're pulling from is already public and accessible?
Dont be stupid, Stupid.

Christen57

Post #132 by Christen57 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:30 pm

ominous wrote:
sentinelsean wrote:

If they have the official ruling and refuse to move forward then leave and report, they aren't looking to solve the problem they're stalling.

Speaking of stalling, duelingbook is too lenient when it comes to stallers and AFKers. 30 seconds is way too much time to respond to a judge after going AFK. The match loss should be given after just 15 seconds of refusal to respond to a judge when a judge asks if you're present.

Most judge calls, at least according to DistantCoder, are calls regarding AFK or stalling. If judges would just issue the game loss after they ask if a player is there and that player doesn't respond in 15 seconds, the judge could give the AFK loss twice as fast, cutting the time they spend simply waiting for players to come out of AFK in half, thus leaving them with more time to answer more important calls and go through calls faster.

Genexwrecker

Post #133 by Genexwrecker » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:10 am

Christen57 wrote:
ominous wrote:
sentinelsean wrote:i like the idea. But personally, i think a bigger issue is even if you showed them an email from konami saying you are right with the exact cards in question being used. a great deal of people would still say i am going to wait for a judge and its within their rights on this site to do so. but yes having a chat just for judge calls from the public sounds nice. it wont get clogged up and it might solve some of the calls on its own.

Speaking of stalling, duelingbook is too lenient when it comes to stallers and AFKers. 30 seconds is way too much time to respond to a judge after going AFK. The match loss should be given after just 15 seconds of refusal to respond to a judge when a judge asks if you're present.

Most judge calls, at least according to DistantCoder, are calls regarding AFK or stalling. If judges would just issue the game loss after they ask if a player is there and that player doesn't respond in 15 seconds, the judge could give the AFK loss twice as fast, cutting the time they spend simply waiting for players to come out of AFK in half, thus leaving them with more time to answer more important calls and go through calls faster.

Wherever you got this 30 second rule from it isnt a thing

Christen57

Post #134 by Christen57 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:02 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
ominous wrote:If they have the official ruling and refuse to move forward then leave and report, they aren't looking to solve the problem they're stalling.

Every time a judge comes to an AFK call they ask "You there? 30 seconds to respond."

Genexwrecker

Post #135 by Genexwrecker » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:26 am

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Every time a judge comes to an AFK call they ask "You there? 30 seconds to respond."

its commonly done but there isnt a specific timeframe we need to give I myself never give a timeframe and determine how long to give upon each situation

Return to “Serious Discussions”