Using extensions to automate stuff?

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
eyal282

Using extensions to automate stuff?

Post #1 by eyal282 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:07 pm

Extension URL
Source Code

I made an extension, it's open source and useful hopefully, but a bunch of people complained it enables cheating.

I did get rid of bottom decking a card, which is the only convenient way to cheat, because it's possible to fail to notice it, but I want more input regarding it.

It enables a lot of things to do, both in custom cards and both in ranked, while obviously it's most useful in custom cards, I'll mention those useful in GOAT:

4 commands to look up cards in deck and mill or add them. This is very useful when my opponent approves resolving every Toon table of Contents
Fifth command to randomly select a card in opponent's hand for Delinq Duo.

Also you can use math in the LP gain window, I found myself accidentally cheating in ranked because I miscalculated. When this feature, not gonna happen ever again.

But obviously it's more useful in custom cards, enabling all of these:

1. Attacking from your pendulum scale
2. Attacking during your opponent's battle phase
3. Setting an extra deck monster face down to the field.
4. Face down link monsters ( to face down an opponent's link monster, ask for control of it and flip it, then give control back )
5. Flipping decks with Convulsion of Nature effects.
6. Banishing a random Extra Deck card face up ( similar to Cynet Storm )
7. Banish random card from extra deck face down ( Pot of Extravegence )
8. Adding cards to your opponent's hand.
9. Setting Spells & Traps to your field as a monster ( Magical Hats )
10. Stay Revealed ( Lord of Heavenly Prison )
11. Move card to your deck face up

TLDR: Is this okay to be used in the game? Should I limit it only to custom cards when it's useful for ranked as well? Would it be okay if I made the extension send a message in chat that warns that a custom extension is used?

Edit: I forgot to mention it here and in the extension. It also resolves Exchange of the Spirit, the hardest card to use ( to make it fair, it requires there to be 0 banished cards, and banishes the deck before doing anything else )

Christen57

Post #2 by Christen57 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:24 pm

eyal282 wrote:Extension URL
Source Code

I made an extension, it's open source and useful hopefully, but a bunch of people complained it enables cheating.

I did get rid of bottom decking a card, which is the only convenient way to cheat, because it's possible to fail to notice it, but I want more input regarding it.

It enables a lot of things to do, both in custom cards and both in ranked, while obviously it's most useful in custom cards, I'll mention those useful in GOAT:

4 commands to look up cards in deck and mill or add them. This is very useful when my opponent approves resolving every Toon table of Contents
Fifth command to randomly select a card in opponent's hand for Delinq Duo.

Also you can use math in the LP gain window, I found myself accidentally cheating in ranked because I miscalculated. When this feature, not gonna happen ever again.

But obviously it's more useful in custom cards, enabling all of these:

1. Attacking from your pendulum scale
2. Attacking during your opponent's battle phase
3. Setting an extra deck monster face down to the field.
4. Face down link monsters ( to face down an opponent's link monster, ask for control of it and flip it, then give control back )
5. Flipping decks with Convulsion of Nature effects.
6. Banishing a random Extra Deck card face up ( similar to Cynet Storm )
7. Banish random card from extra deck face down ( Pot of Extravegence )
8. Adding cards to your opponent's hand.
9. Setting Spells & Traps to your field as a monster ( Magical Hats )
10. Stay Revealed ( Lord of Heavenly Prison )
11. Move card to your deck face up

TLDR: Is this okay to be used in the game? Should I limit it only to custom cards when it's useful for ranked as well? Would it be okay if I made the extension send a message in chat that warns that a custom extension is used?

Edit: I forgot to mention it here and in the extension. It also resolves Exchange of the Spirit, the hardest card to use ( to make it fair, it requires there to be 0 banished cards, and banishes the deck before doing anything else )

It should be fine to use it in the game as long as it doesn't mess up your actions and cause you to make illegal plays and stuff.

If you want, you can give people the option of limiting it to custom cards or allowing it to also work in ranked. Otherwise, no, I don't think limiting it to customs is necessary.

The message warning that a custom extension is used should also be optional and not mandatory, as some could see it as spam, as you normally aren't supposed to use the chat for things unrelated to the game state.

Genexwrecker

Post #3 by Genexwrecker » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:04 am

as long as you are not causing consistent issues I have no problem. I myself have some alterations. If you become unable to play due to the things you have messed with then of course you are responsible for those actions.

There have been players that have done this poorly and messed up their stuff so bad I removed them from ranked play until they could fix it.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

eyal282

Post #4 by eyal282 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:20 am

Genexwrecker wrote:as long as you are not causing consistent issues I have no problem. I myself have some alterations. If you become unable to play due to the things you have messed with then of course you are responsible for those actions.

There have been players that have done this poorly and messed up their stuff so bad I removed them from ranked play until they could fix it.

What about reminding a player to do something? Like a voice reminder on Standby phase to grab the Sinister Serpent?

Kitty Trouble

Post #5 by Kitty Trouble » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:46 pm

This is really cool, though it would be more helpful if both players were using it for customs

eyal282

Post #6 by eyal282 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:52 pm

Kitty Trouble wrote:This is really cool, though it would be more helpful if both players were using it for customs

The code is open source, implementing it is a matter of seconds.

I would like however to know whether or not reminding of optional actions is okay, because it can protect you from losing if you forget your serpent.

Genexwrecker

Post #7 by Genexwrecker » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:10 am

eyal282 wrote:
Kitty Trouble wrote:This is really cool, though it would be more helpful if both players were using it for customs

I would like however to know whether or not reminding of optional actions is okay, because it can protect you from losing if you forget your serpent.

this sounds like it would lead to a lot of problems
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

eyal282

Post #8 by eyal282 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:35 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
eyal282 wrote:

this sounds like it would lead to a lot of problems

Xtevens approved it, so it's already there. I was told he's the most important individual in Dueling Book, which makes sense for a mod without a color.

It's already a built in function, it's a matter of using it

eyal282

Post #9 by eyal282 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:44 pm

I also asked him in DMs regarding a script to log opponent's hand if I get to see it ( dustshoot ) so I don't waste precious time putting it down ( since it's legal in DB ) but no response yet.

Return to “Serious Discussions”