Post Book-Related Stuff Here

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
Heartgold06
Mood:

Post Book-Related Stuff Here

Post #1 by Heartgold06 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:58 am

Hi! I want to start this because I want a place here to just exchanange suggestions for books to read. As a start, I'm going to make a post about my favorite books.

Wings of Fire is my favorite book series of all time. It's a fantasy novel series about dragons, war, romance, prophecies, and more. Each book centers around a different character, dealing with their struggles and focusing on how they grow. You get to see the fantasy world of Pyhrria through so many different angles. I got into the series in late elementary school and early middle school, and I quickly feel in love with the surprisingly dark turns and adventrous storylines that unfolded. Go read this series if you're interested. I highly reccomend it.
"It's not optimism, it's faith. There's a reason we're here. What we do today is part of it, but there's more, too, and we have to survive to make it all happen." - Sunny, The Dark Secret

Renji Asuka

Post #2 by Renji Asuka » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:50 am

I have a lot of books I really enjoyed when I was in high school. First from James Patterson

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment
Maximum Ride: School's Out - Forever
Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports
Maximum Ride: The Final Warning

Unfortunately that's the only ones I read before I graduated and the rest of the books weren't out at the time or if they were my library didn't have them. This series was about an experiment that had happened on a group of kids who are hunted down by an organization and protected later on in the series. They also try to track down their parents and find out a lot of stuff.

As for Tedd Decker in the order of the series I've read.
Lost Books Series:
Chosen
Infidel
Renegade
Chaos
Lunatic
Elyon

I had also read the Circle Series

Black
Red
White
Green

Paradise Novels
Showdown
Saint
Unfortunately I haven't read Sinners as it was checked out and was never turned in so I never finished this series.

What was really cool about these 3 series is the fact they were all intertwined with each other despite being different series, it had blew my mind. It's really hard to describe what these are about without spoiling since they are as I stated intertwined with each other. But it's really really interesting!
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Christen57

Post #3 by Christen57 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:02 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:I have a lot of books I really enjoyed when I was in high school. First from James Patterson

Unfortunately that's the only ones I read before I graduated and the rest of the books weren't out at the time or if they were my library didn't have them. This series was about an experiment that had happened on a group of kids who are hunted down by an organization and protected later on in the series. They also try to track down their parents and find out a lot of stuff.

Lost Books Series:
Chosen
Infidel
Renegade
Chaos
Lunatic
Elyon

Black
Red
White
Green

Paradise Novels
Showdown
Saint
Unfortunately I haven't read Sinners as it was checked out and was never turned in so I never finished this series.

What was really cool about these 3 series is the fact they were all intertwined with each other despite being different series, it had blew my mind. It's really hard to describe what these are about without spoiling since they are as I stated intertwined with each other. But it's really really interesting!

https://libgen.is has loads of books in PDF/EPUB format you can download for free. Those books you refer to may have been posted there, so it's worth checking out.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #4 by Lil Oldman » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:46 pm

Does anyone here know the Magic Tree House books? I used to read them a lot as a child, and as a non-native english speaker, they helped me a lot learning the english language.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Heartgold06
Mood:

Post #5 by Heartgold06 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:19 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:Does anyone here know the Magic Tree House books? I used to read them a lot as a child, and as a non-native english speaker, they helped me a lot learning the english language.

Magic Treehouse was awesome. Besides Geronimo Stilton/Thea Sisters it was the only books I really read when I was little, and now they got the whole Manga treatment! Speaking of Thea Sisters, they probably are contenders for the earliest waifus I ever had.
"It's not optimism, it's faith. There's a reason we're here. What we do today is part of it, but there's more, too, and we have to survive to make it all happen." - Sunny, The Dark Secret

Renji Asuka

Post #6 by Renji Asuka » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:46 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:I have a lot of books I really enjoyed when I was in high school. First from James Patterson

Lost Books Series:
Chosen
Infidel
Renegade
Chaos
Lunatic
Elyon

Black
Red
White
Green

Paradise Novels
Showdown
Saint

https://libgen.is has loads of books in PDF/EPUB format you can download for free. Those books you refer to may have been posted there, so it's worth checking out.

Honestly, I'd feel bad for stealing the books tbh :P

Christen57

Post #7 by Christen57 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:54 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Lost Books Series:
Chosen
Infidel
Renegade
Chaos
Lunatic
Elyon

Black
Red
White
Green

Paradise Novels
Showdown
Saint

You're not stealing them. You're looking for a free copy of them. You can't "steal" what's free.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #8 by Lil Oldman » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:58 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

You're not stealing them. You're looking for a free copy of them. You can't "steal" what's free.

Are all of these official releases or just users uploading their own scans?
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."

Christen57

Post #9 by Christen57 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:03 am

Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:

They're not viruses or malware if that's what you're asking. They're PDFs/EPUBs which are files used purely for documents/book-reading, so yes, you can consider them copies of official releases.

Renji Asuka

Post #10 by Renji Asuka » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:13 am

Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

By that logic, WoW Private servers are legal and doesn't steal people from Blizzard.

Also it'd be taking money from the authors. https://teddekker.com/ does sell his books here for instance. What you'd be suggesting is piracy, that's why I'm not okay with it.

Christen57

Post #11 by Christen57 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:39 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:

By that logic, WoW Private servers are legal and doesn't steal people from Blizzard.

Also it'd be taking money from the authors. https://teddekker.com/ does sell his books here for instance. What you'd be suggesting is piracy, that's why I'm not okay with it.

It wouldn't count as you taking money from the authors if you weren't going to be buying from them anyways.

Also, by your logic, this entire duelingbook site might as well be considered piracy due to it letting people play Yu-Gi-Oh! for free and not purchase the cards from Konami to play with.

Renji Asuka

Post #12 by Renji Asuka » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:16 am

Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

It wouldn't count as you taking money from the authors if you weren't going to be buying from them anyways.

Also, by your logic, this entire duelingbook site might as well be considered piracy due to it letting people play Yu-Gi-Oh! for free and not purchase the cards from Konami to play with.

Jokes on you, I don't use Duelingbook much. I mostly play master duel :P

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #13 by Lil Oldman » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:28 am

Christen57 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

They're not viruses or malware if that's what you're asking. They're PDFs/EPUBs which are files used purely for documents/book-reading, so yes, you can consider them copies of official releases.

No, Im not asking if there's malware within them. I am asking if this site offers books with the authorization of the Copyright Owners.

Christen57

Post #14 by Christen57 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:52 am

Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:Are all of these official releases or just users uploading their own scans?

No, Im not asking if there's malware within them. I am asking if this site offers books with the authorization of the Copyright Owners.

I think it's safe to assume it does, otherwise the site would've been shut down by now or something.

Also, I forgot to wish you a happy birthday since it said you turned 18 recently.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #15 by Lil Oldman » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:04 am

Christen57 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

I think it's safe to assume it does, otherwise the site would've been shut down by now or something.

Also, I forgot to wish you a happy birthday since it said you turned 18 recently.

Thanks. I just turned 18 2 days ago.
But regardless, a literal 2 second google search for "libgen legal" showed me results which stated the thing isn't legal, which suggest it is not done with the copyright holders authorization.

Renji Asuka

Post #16 by Renji Asuka » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:27 am

I appreciate the help with that Christen57. I just rather not get into trouble with the law as much as possible.

Christen57

Post #17 by Christen57 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:35 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:No, Im not asking if there's malware within them. I am asking if this site offers books with the authorization of the Copyright Owners.

But regardless, a literal 2 second google search for "libgen legal" showed me results which stated the thing isn't legal, which suggest it is not done with the copyright holders authorization.

It may be not legal in certain countries while still being legal in whichever country it's being hosted in.

Christen57

Post #18 by Christen57 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:44 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:I appreciate the help with that Christen57. I just rather not get into trouble with the law as much as possible.

I've been downloading from that site for years now, using it to get digital copies of college textbooks for my college courses and whatnot instead of having to pay hundreds of dollars for them. I can assure you you won't get into such trouble.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #19 by Lil Oldman » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:39 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

It may be not legal in certain countries while still being legal in whichever country it's being hosted in.

And? It still doesn't remove the fact that, at least in the U.S., it is illegal. Regardless however, this is more of a moral dilema, rather than a legal one, at least in my opinion.

Christen57

Post #20 by Christen57 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:02 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:Thanks. I just turned 18 2 days ago.

And? It still doesn't remove the fact that, at least in the U.S., it is illegal. Regardless however, this is more of a moral dilema, rather than a legal one, at least in my opinion.

How do you know it's illegal here?

Return to “Serious Discussions”