Devs, fix your UI

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
necroblade77

Devs, fix your UI

Post #1 by necroblade77 » Sun May 15, 2022 6:19 pm

Do the dueling book devs still exist? Is there ever updates to the game or is it just in maintenance mode? If devs still exist, here is some constructive criticism from the perspective of a software engineer, designer, and player of Yu-Gi-Oh.

First, I want to use dueling book. I really do. Its has a judge system, an active community, good players, ranked, this is where I want to be. But I just can't and its specifically because of your UI.

1) Your game's UI is awful. Objectively. There's 0 reasons why your UI should be as bad as it is. And there are some simple fixes you can make that will make 100+% improvements while also preserving the sanity of your players. If you want a TLDR; go look at Omega's manual mode UI. Marvel at its simplicity.

1.a) Trying to click the 10000 options in the stupid drop down that pops open gives me carpel tunnel syndrome just looking at it. You don't need that many options. You need 2. Move. Activate. Done. ffs. Seriously, go look at Omega's MANUAL mode (not their auto sim) and take a lesson.

1.b) The amount of times I've misclicked revealing a card I wasn't supposed to, or misplayed, simply because of the mind numbingly awful UI is absurd.

1.c) I shudder at trying to play a combo deck on DB. Like I get it, veterans that have all the muscle memory down can go fast I'm sure.

I want to click on card, click move, then select the orientation. That's literally all you need. You don't need a drop down with
- move up?
- move down?
- move left?
- move right?
- move center?
- move backward?
- move reverse?
- move catty-cornered?
- move adjacent?

Here are some screenshots from Omega. Seriously, your UI and UX don't have to be ass. https://imgur.com/a/TPB8Kku

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #2 by Lil Oldman » Sun May 15, 2022 10:26 pm

Skill issue
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

greg503

Post #3 by greg503 » Mon May 16, 2022 12:13 am

necroblade77 wrote:Do the dueling book devs still exist? Is there ever updates to the game or is it just in maintenance mode? If devs still exist, here is some constructive criticism from the perspective of a software engineer, designer, and player of Yu-Gi-Oh.

First, I want to use dueling book. I really do. Its has a judge system, an active community, good players, ranked, this is where I want to be. But I just can't and its specifically because of your UI.

1) Your game's UI is awful. Objectively. There's 0 reasons why your UI should be as bad as it is. And there are some simple fixes you can make that will make 100+% improvements while also preserving the sanity of your players. If you want a TLDR; go look at Omega's manual mode UI. Marvel at its simplicity.

1.a) Trying to click the 10000 options in the stupid drop down that pops open gives me carpel tunnel syndrome just looking at it. You don't need that many options. You need 2. Move. Activate. Done. ffs. Seriously, go look at Omega's MANUAL mode (not their auto sim) and take a lesson.

1.b) The amount of times I've misclicked revealing a card I wasn't supposed to, or misplayed, simply because of the mind numbingly awful UI is absurd.

1.c) I shudder at trying to play a combo deck on DB. Like I get it, veterans that have all the muscle memory down can go fast I'm sure.

I want to click on card, click move, then select the orientation. That's literally all you need. You don't need a drop down with
- move up?
- move down?
- move left?
- move right?
- move center?
- move backward?
- move reverse?
- move catty-cornered?
- move adjacent?

Here are some screenshots from Omega. Seriously, your UI and UX don't have to be ass. https://imgur.com/a/TPB8Kku

I get the feeling you're trying to play on mobile
Buy Floowandereeze

necroblade77

Post #4 by necroblade77 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:31 pm

Nope. PC. And this isn't a gameplay argument, its a software design argument. Just because people took decades to learn live with it and have deluded themselves into thinking its good design, doesn't make it good design. And Dueling Book UI is objectively terrible design in every way you could measure it. Its needs a design pass, 100%.

OR, just they can just stay stagnant and in 2-3 years everyone abandons DB for Omega.

Omega has
1) Better UI/UX
2) Impossible to cheat (DB is extremely easy to cheat)
3) Has a far superior manual mode

DB's choice, really.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #5 by Lil Oldman » Mon May 16, 2022 11:33 pm

I mean, you are the only one complaining... It sounds more of a personal issue rather than the platform's
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."

greg503

Post #6 by greg503 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:50 am

necroblade77 wrote:Nope. PC. And this isn't a gameplay argument, its a software design argument. Just because people took decades to learn live with it and have deluded themselves into thinking its good design, doesn't make it good design. And Dueling Book UI is objectively terrible design in every way you could measure it. Its needs a design pass, 100%.

OR, just they can just stay stagnant and in 2-3 years everyone abandons DB for Omega.

Omega has
1) Better UI/UX

DB's choice, really.

Not impossible to cheat in Manual mode though is it?
Buy Floowandereeze

Genexwrecker

Post #7 by Genexwrecker » Tue May 17, 2022 1:25 am

necroblade77 wrote:Do the dueling book devs still exist? Is there ever updates to the game or is it just in maintenance mode? If devs still exist, here is some constructive criticism from the perspective of a software engineer, designer, and player of Yu-Gi-Oh.

- move up?
- move down?
- move left?
- move right?
- move center?
- move backward?
- move reverse?
- move catty-cornered?
- move adjacent?

1.)
The UI is pretty good at the job it does and is very straightforward and provides the most irl experience than any other simulator which is the point of duelingbook even omegas manual does not come as close to irl play as duelingbooks UI which is why it is designed the way it is.
1.a) The current drop down windows are exactly as requested by the yugioh playerbase. All features currently on that window are there by request of the playerbase and what the desired and their feedback. For example an absurd number of people were lazy and did not like declaring their effects in the chat like they are supposed to and demanded a declare button on every card so it was added though i think it should be removed.
1.b)Misclicks do not ever happen when playing properly. They occur only due to terrible play habits and trying to go too fast through things which is not how the game is played anyway. Players who misclick always do so due to their own faults of not being careful and trying to go too fast. proper gameplay entirely avoids any potential for misclicks.
1.c) Playing combo decks take an absurd ammount of time. This also applies to combo decks irl. they are massive time eaters and this is why most games only last 2-3 turns max or atleast a big contributing factor. It is not duelingbooks fault if your deck can activate 100 effects in a turn and it takes forever. The move option actually works perfectly you click it and you can place the card anywhere on the field I'm not sure how much more you could want out of that. and the drop down has nothing you listed.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Fredblade
Mood:

Post #8 by Fredblade » Tue May 17, 2022 2:53 am

Genexwrecker wrote:The UI is pretty good at the job it does and is very straightforward and provides the most irl experience than any other simulator which is the point of duelingbook even omegas manual does not come as close to irl play as duelingbooks UI which is why it is designed the way it is.
1.a) The current drop down windows are exactly as requested by the yugioh playerbase. All features currently on that window are there by request of the playerbase and what the desired and their feedback. For example an absurd number of people were lazy and did not like declaring their effects in the chat like they are supposed to and demanded a declare button on every card so it was added though i think it should be removed.

Without mentioning it maintains a precise record of each action in the logs, for example, there's a distinction between normal and special summoning, so if there's ever a debate of whether or not a player already normal summoned they can always check the logs and look if there was a normal summon at some point instead of creating a discussion of "but you didn't say it was a special summon so it counted as a normal summon". And if you play with sound, Normal and Special Summon have different audio cues so you can know which one it is by simply hearing it.

necroblade77 wrote:2) Impossible to cheat (DB is extremely easy to cheat)

Cheating is an inherent problem that every manual simulator will ever have simply by the nature of manual mode itself because people can just simply move cards whenever they like at any moment and lie in chat. Duelingbook is actually cheat proof simply by the existence of the Duel Log, the Log records the actions a player takes, when they normal summon, when they special, the position and zone a monster was placed, when they declared effects, they even record the time to pinpoint when people slowplay... Most of the "cheating" in duelingbook is actually players just being d*cks, trolling, or an error of procedure from the players themselves (like forgetting an effect or getting a ruling wrong), so it's not the game's fault, it's all human errors.

PENMASTER

Post #9 by PENMASTER » Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 pm

duelingbook is inherently the best at showing the real games worst bits like performing the wrong actions by accident and cheating in general
one thing I have is for logs not to inta scroll down when someone says something that gets annoying quick
love2hate

Christen57

Post #10 by Christen57 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:47 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:

- move up?
- move down?
- move left?
- move right?
- move center?
- move backward?
- move reverse?
- move catty-cornered?
- move adjacent?

1.)
The UI is pretty good at the job it does and is very straightforward and provides the most irl experience than any other simulator which is the point of duelingbook even omegas manual does not come as close to irl play as duelingbooks UI which is why it is designed the way it is.
1.b)Misclicks do not ever happen when playing properly. They occur only due to terrible play habits and trying to go too fast through things which is not how the game is played anyway. Players who misclick always do so due to their own faults of not being careful and trying to go too fast. proper gameplay entirely avoids any potential for misclicks.
1.c) Playing combo decks take an absurd ammount of time. This also applies to combo decks irl. they are massive time eaters and this is why most games only last 2-3 turns max or atleast a big contributing factor. It is not duelingbooks fault if your deck can activate 100 effects in a turn and it takes forever. The move option actually works perfectly you click it and you can place the card anywhere on the field I'm not sure how much more you could want out of that. and the drop down has nothing you listed.

We disliked declaring effects in the chat because 1) It was inefficient, and 2) It often created confusion since if I had 2 copies of the same card on the field for example, and I say "eff card" my opponent would be like "wait you're activating the effect of the card on the left or on the right?" and I would be like "the one on the left" and my opponent would be like "wait my left or your left" and so on, making things confusing. It had nothing to do with people being lazy. A declare button allowed it to be more clear which copy of a card you were activating as you could see the little green ring animation over the card you were declaring the effect of.

Now all we need is an Attach button so we can attach cards straight from the hand, deck, and extra deck to our AA-Zeuses instead of having to first put them in the monster zone then overlay the AA-Zeus on top of them then move that AA-Zeus back to the original monster zone it was in.

necroblade77

Post #11 by necroblade77 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:33 pm

greg503 wrote:
necroblade77 wrote:Nope. PC. And this isn't a gameplay argument, its a software design argument. Just because people took decades to learn live with it and have deluded themselves into thinking its good design, doesn't make it good design. And Dueling Book UI is objectively terrible design in every way you could measure it. Its needs a design pass, 100%.

Omega has
1) Better UI/UX

DB's choice, really.

What? You misunderstand the word "cheat". DB is a web based game. All of the code is exposed. You can see everyone's cards even the face down ones, the hand, everything. Anyone with basic CSS knowledge can do that. You can take replay data and get the entire decklist.

LITERALLY cheating. Not just intentionally misplaying. And also, Omega doesn't have a judge system so if your friends are intentionally misplaying during play testing, get better friends.

necroblade77

Post #12 by necroblade77 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:40 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:

- move up?
- move down?
- move left?
- move right?
- move center?
- move backward?
- move reverse?
- move catty-cornered?
- move adjacent?

1.)

We disliked declaring effects in the chat because 1) It was inefficient, and 2) It often created confusion since if I had 2 copies of the same card on the field for example, and I say "eff card" my opponent would be like "wait you're activating the effect of the card on the left or on the right?" and I would be like "the one on the left" and my opponent would be like "wait my left or your left" and so on, making things confusing. It had nothing to do with people being lazy. A declare button allowed it to be more clear which copy of a card you were activating as you could see the little green ring animation over the card you were declaring the effect of.

Now all we need is an Attach button so we can attach cards straight from the hand, deck, and extra deck to our AA-Zeuses instead of having to first put them in the monster zone then overlay the AA-Zeus on top of them then move that AA-Zeus back to the original monster zone it was in.

and provides the most irl experience than any other simulator

This is now false. Omega provides exactly the same thing, but it does it better. I challenge you to name a SINGLE thing in DB that you cannot do in Omega.

Also I'm not sure where you're getting "activate effects in chat". In Omega, there's a "activate" button when you hover over a card. Just click it.

Misclicks do not ever happen when playing properly. They occur only due to terrible play habits and trying to go too fast through things which is not how the game is played anyway

This is a really dumb argument. Barely clipping the edge of a card in the trap zone can cause the menu to pop up, covering the card slot above it. And because its web, and web UI response time is ass, you might register a click event the moment the menu pops up, causing you to flip the trap card instead, or some other misplay. Blaming bad UI design on the user is silly, and if that's the attitude of DB devs, your time is limited.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #13 by Lil Oldman » Thu May 19, 2022 7:57 pm

If you hate the UI so much just go to Omega, or go to any of the automated yugioh simulators like nexus

greg503

Post #14 by greg503 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:00 pm

necroblade77 wrote:
greg503 wrote:

Omega has
1) Better UI/UX

DB's choice, really.

What? You misunderstand the word "cheat". DB is a web based game. All of the code is exposed. You can see everyone's cards even the face down ones, the hand, everything. Anyone with basic CSS knowledge can do that. You can take replay data and get the entire decklist.

LITERALLY cheating. Not just intentionally misplaying. And also, Omega doesn't have a judge system so if your friends are intentionally misplaying during play testing, get better friends.

Yeah, and you can't modify Omega to show your opponent's cards /s
Buy Floowandereeze

greg503

Post #15 by greg503 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:01 pm

necroblade77 wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:1.)

and provides the most irl experience than any other simulator

This is now false. Omega provides exactly the same thing, but it does it better. I challenge you to name a SINGLE thing in DB that you cannot do in Omega.

Also I'm not sure where you're getting "activate effects in chat". In Omega, there's a "activate" button when you hover over a card. Just click it.

Misclicks do not ever happen when playing properly. They occur only due to terrible play habits and trying to go too fast through things which is not how the game is played anyway

This is a really dumb argument. Barely clipping the edge of a card in the trap zone can cause the menu to pop up, covering the card slot above it. And because its web, and web UI response time is ass, you might register a click event the moment the menu pops up, causing you to flip the trap card instead, or some other misplay. Blaming bad UI design on the user is silly, and if that's the attitude of DB devs, your time is limited.

Skill issue
Buy Floowandereeze

necroblade77

Post #16 by necroblade77 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:04 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:If you hate the UI so much just go to Omega, or go to any of the automated yugioh simulators like nexus

I am lol, I don't play on DB, I use Omega for manual duel because its manual is better than DB. The entire reason I'm here, is because DB WOULD be fantastic, if their UI wasn't trash. I'm simply warning the devs that if they don't adapt to the market and come away from UI practices of 15 years ago, they're gonna get left in the dust.

Which would be a shame, because at the point they are the only dueling platform that has ranked random manual matches. And only because they have judges. At this point, the only offering DB has is judges. They're behind now on everything else. But a long way.

necroblade77

Post #17 by necroblade77 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:07 pm

greg503 wrote:
necroblade77 wrote:
greg503 wrote:Not impossible to cheat in Manual mode though is it?

Yeah, and you can't modify Omega to show your opponent's cards /s

You can't.. because Omega uses client server architecture where the server is authoritative. The level of technical skill needed to cheat on Omega is orders of magnitude that of DB.

The entirety of the source code is available for DB lol. I can just go console.log() your cards and have it print out the log every card you have.

necroblade77

Post #18 by necroblade77 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:08 pm

necroblade77 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:If you hate the UI so much just go to Omega, or go to any of the automated yugioh simulators like nexus

I am lol, I don't play on DB, I use Omega for manual duel because its manual is better than DB. The entire reason I'm here, is because DB WOULD be fantastic, if their UI wasn't trash. I'm simply warning the devs that if they don't adapt to the market and come away from UI practices of 15 years ago, they're gonna get left in the dust.

Which would be a shame, because at this point they are the only dueling platform that has ranked random manual matches. And only because they have judges. At this point, the only offering DB has is judges. They're behind now on everything else. But a long way.

necroblade77

Post #19 by necroblade77 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:08 pm

necroblade77 wrote:

Which would be a shame, because at the point they are the only dueling platform that has ranked random manual matches. And only because they have judges. At this point, the only offering DB has is judges. They're behind now on everything else. By a long way.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #20 by Lil Oldman » Thu May 19, 2022 9:10 pm

necroblade77 wrote:

Which would be a shame, because at the point they are the only dueling platform that has ranked random manual matches. And only because they have judges. At this point, the only offering DB has is judges. They're behind now on everything else. But a long way.

As far as I've seen, nobody else is complaining about dB's UI. It appears to be more of a personal dislike for the UI rather than an actual problem. If Duelingbooks was so behind in the market, it wouldn't even be working right now. As of time of writting, Duelingbook has almost 2000 online users. Wouldn't you think that with that amount of users, at least more than 1 single user would come here to complain?

Return to “Serious Discussions”