Communication and YOU

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
Genexwrecker

Communication and YOU

Post #1 by Genexwrecker » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:46 am

Hello Users of Duelingbook!
One of the biggest things that occurs in a game of yugioh is communication wether it be online or at an event or locals irl. How do you communicate? Are you good at communication? Are you bad at communication? Do you think communication is required?

Our general policy is posted here for you to get an idea of what we expect of the playerbase :
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=20716

That being said that topic is not the be all end all. Its guidelines to what to expect when you get into a judge call regarding said communication. This thread is to express how you communicate in games yourself and if you have any questions for me on how to either communicate better a different way to communicate or specific issues revolving around certain things in games and wether they should be communicated or not. I will check this thread everyday for questions and statements. Keep in mind any statments I make as an answer to your questions are merely of my opinion as a judge on here for 4 years and if it is about a specific game situation how I might handle it my words here are not to be taken as gospel to follow blindly but as information you can use to make better judgements yourself or formulate your own opinions. I look forward to a healthy discussion about gameplay.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

PENMASTER

Post #2 by PENMASTER » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:57 am

"to be taken as gospel to follow blindly" bible of genexwrecker
love2hate

Sound4

Post #3 by Sound4 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:26 pm

If your opponent does not say anything then you should continue correct? If they had a response they would have already done it.

GayNProud

Post #4 by GayNProud » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:30 pm

Genewrecker: This is so ironic coming from you after how you handled the last appeal you took for me. I am working on a very elaborate and detailed forum thread with evidence. We can have that discussion there.

FYI: the opponent ended up repeating the same abusive gameplay related and harassment related behaviors as well, including calling me a faggot. Will be reporting that as abuse as well once I have my forum post ready to go simulatenously. But just know that your failure as a "judge" to take action did not deter the player from their behaviors, and led to their escalation.

Stay tuned! It is going to be the most discussed forum post DB Forums have seen in a while. We will have a dialogue about topics such as:

1. Equitable and consistent application of rules
2. Strictness of rules
3. Vagueness of current rules and their listed examples
4. Judges' lack of common sense and use of proper "judgement"
5. Judges' corruption and bias against certain decks

Sound4

Post #5 by Sound4 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:46 pm

GayNProud wrote:Genewrecker: This is so ironic coming from you after how you handled the last appeal you took for me. I am working on a very elaborate and detailed forum thread with evidence. We can have that discussion there.

FYI: the opponent ended up repeating the same abusive gameplay related and harassment related behaviors as well, including calling me a faggot. Will be reporting that as abuse as well once I have my forum post ready to go simulatenously. But just know that your failure as a "judge" to take action did not deter the player from their behaviors, and led to their escalation.

Stay tuned! It is going to be the most discussed forum post DB Forums have seen in a while. We will have a dialogue about topics such as:

1. Equitable and consistent application of rules
2. Strictness of rules
3. Vagueness of current rules and their listed examples
4. Judges' lack of common sense and use of proper "judgement"
5. Judges' corruption and bias against certain decks

Interesting. I expect the evidence to be good and prove the 5 points you said about judges and the rules.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #6 by Lil Oldman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:05 pm

GayNProud wrote:Stay tuned! It is going to be the most discussed forum post DB Forums have seen in a while.

Thats a bold statement considering what Sound4's thread looks like, your post might as well be the holy grail for it to be discussed for over 935 posts lol
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Cromat

Post #7 by Cromat » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:20 pm

What should I do about while opponent never communicates with me, not waiting to give response of their cards effect(s) and activation(s), not declaring effect not explaining anything just playing so fastly not listening to me, they are only typing "?" question mark and look to screen like cow. I called to Judge for their 0 communication, and they started speak up as chirping like a nightingale. Even when I called the Judge(s) for they're not giving any reaction to when I asked as "What are you doing?" or "How?" meaning to explain something to me by them, they're doing nothing, just waiting to Judge's arrives to Duel room and suddenly telling to Judge this as "My opponent called you by no reason and abusing the 'Call Judge' button." and/or as "Nothing, opponent is just stalling the game (by referring to me)." Such people are quite annoying, I think these kind behaviors are their win conditions. What should be of my behavior when I faced that kind people here, during the rated Duel?

Christen57

Post #8 by Christen57 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:29 pm

Genexwrecker, what made you think creating this thread was a good idea, especially since we already had 2 other threads discussing in detail about whether or not silence would be consent, one of which was just locked by MarshieDemon, and the other being pinned to DB Head Judge Q&A?

Now Sound4's just gonna continue his "silence is consent" narrative on this thread instead of finally letting that pointless multi-month long argument come to an end like it should've.

itsmetristan

Post #9 by itsmetristan » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:40 pm

Cromat wrote:What should I do about while opponent never communicates with me, not waiting to give response of their cards effect(s) and activation(s), not declaring effect not explaining anything just playing so fastly not listening to me, they are only typing "?" question mark and look to screen like cow. I called to Judge for their 0 communication, and they started speak up as chirping like a nightingale. Even when I called the Judge(s) for they're not giving any reaction to when I asked as "What are you doing?" or "How?" meaning to explain something to me by them, they're doing nothing, just waiting to Judge's arrives to Duel room and suddenly telling to Judge this as "My opponent called you by no reason and abusing the 'Call Judge' button." and/or as "Nothing, opponent is just stalling the game (by referring to me)." Such people are quite annoying, I think these kind behaviors are their win conditions. What should be of my behavior when I faced that kind people here, during the rated Duel?

Unfortunately, if someone isn't communicating properly with you no matter what you do, your only option will be to call a judge or leave the duel. Calling a judge because the opponent refused to communicate properly is not judge call abuse, nor is it stalling. You are fully in your right to request a judge in that situation no matter what your opponent may say. When the judge arrives, they will be able to handle the situation appropriately.

RC-2
PC-1

Senior Admin

MarshieDemon

Post #10 by MarshieDemon » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:43 pm

Sound4 wrote:If your opponent does not say anything then you should continue correct? If they had a response they would have already done it.

Per the Q&A article:

What Should I Do if My Opponent Does Not Respond?

If you ask your opponent for a response, and they do not answer, give your opponent a reasonable amount of time to respond.

This tells us that, if our opponent does not communicate any response to you, the first thing we should do is actually ask our opponent (verbally is best) if they have a response. Remember, they do have a right to respond to your action. Best not to intentionally try to take that right away from them.

If, after a reasonable amount of time AND after exhausting an attempt to get a response from them, they still do not respond, then we follow what the Q&A article says after that:

If, after a reasonable amount of time, your opponent does not respond, you may be justified to cautiously continue.

The key word here, of course, being "cautiously." The opponent may attempt to still respond at this point, creating a potential dispute. However, so long as you have exhausted a reasonable attempt to grant your opponent their right to respond to your action, then:

the likelihood that a Judge Call is ruled in your favor increases should there be a dispute.

Note here that it simply states the likelihood increases. It does not guarantee the Judge will rule in your favor. It is always up to the Judge's discretion how best to proceed.

Head Administrator

itsmetristan

Post #11 by itsmetristan » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:45 pm

Christen57 wrote:Genexwrecker, what made you think creating this thread was a good idea, especially since we already had 2 other threads discussing in detail about whether or not silence would be consent, one of which was just locked by MarshieDemon, and the other being pinned to DB Head Judge Q&A?

Now Sound4's just gonna continue his "silence is consent" narrative on this thread instead of finally letting that pointless multi-month long argument come to an end like it should've.

While Sound4's tragic thread became a playground for just back and forth yelling, it did make it clear that some people do not understand how communication is meant to be on DB. As such, this thread has been made so people who do not understand communication or simply have questions about it can ask them here and receive an answer. Unlike Sound4's thread, any attempts of arguing for the sake of arguing will be swiftly dealt with, as it defeats the purpose of this topic. Communication is not a concrete thing, and as such it's been deemed necessary that this was a good course of action to take.

RC-2
PC-1

Senior Admin

MarshieDemon

Post #12 by MarshieDemon » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:48 pm

Cromat wrote:What should I do about while opponent never communicates with me, not waiting to give response of their cards effect(s) and activation(s), not declaring effect not explaining anything just playing so fastly not listening to me, they are only typing "?" question mark and look to screen like cow. I called to Judge for their 0 communication, and they started speak up as chirping like a nightingale. Even when I called the Judge(s) for they're not giving any reaction to when I asked as "What are you doing?" or "How?" meaning to explain something to me by them, they're doing nothing, just waiting to Judge's arrives to Duel room and suddenly telling to Judge this as "My opponent called you by no reason and abusing the 'Call Judge' button." and/or as "Nothing, opponent is just stalling the game (by referring to me)." Such people are quite annoying, I think these kind behaviors are their win conditions. What should be of my behavior when I faced that kind people here, during the rated Duel?

As my colleague above has mentioned, you are well within your right to call a judge. As the Q&A article mentions:

What Should I Do if My Opponent Continues Without My Consent?

Speak up! The quicker you communicate to your opponent that you do not agree to continue, the likelihood that a Judge Call is ruled in your favor increases if your opponent does not give you a reasonable amount of time to respond to an action.

Head Administrator

Genexwrecker

Post #13 by Genexwrecker » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:53 pm

Christen57 wrote:Genexwrecker, what made you think creating this thread was a good idea, especially since we already had 2 other threads discussing in detail about whether or not silence would be consent, one of which was just locked by MarshieDemon, and the other being pinned to DB Head Judge Q&A?

This thread is for serious healthy discussion about gameplay where people can ask questions. If anyone starts spamming nonsense we can easily just remove the posts

MarshieDemon

Post #14 by MarshieDemon » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 pm

Clearly, this is a very important topic that warrants discussion. I want people to be engaged in this conversation and ask specific questions. Not every possible scenario can be answered in the Q&A article.

We created this topic to give people the opportunity to ask those specific questions (albeit it with a much less misleading title). Of course, if this topic dissolves into the chaos that the previous one did, then I will have no choice but to lock this topic down too. Please, all of you, do not make me have to shut down what could be a great conversation.

Head Administrator

PENMASTER

Post #15 by PENMASTER » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:43 am

do not make me have to shut down what could be a great conversation.[/quote]
I shall do what I need to for the ace attorney posts
love2hate

Sound4

Post #16 by Sound4 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:24 am

MarshieDemon wrote:
Sound4 wrote:If your opponent does not say anything then you should continue correct? If they had a response they would have already done it.

Per the Q&A article:

If you ask your opponent for a response, and they do not answer, give your opponent a reasonable amount of time to respond.

This tells us that, if our opponent does not communicate any response to you, the first thing we should do is actually ask our opponent (verbally is best) if they have a response. Remember, they do have a right to respond to your action. Best not to intentionally try to take that right away from them.

If, after a reasonable amount of time AND after exhausting an attempt to get a response from them, they still do not respond, then we follow what the Q&A article says after that:

If, after a reasonable amount of time, your opponent does not respond, you may be justified to cautiously continue.

The key word here, of course, being "cautiously." The opponent may attempt to still respond at this point, creating a potential dispute. However, so long as you have exhausted a reasonable attempt to grant your opponent their right to respond to your action, then:

the likelihood that a Judge Call is ruled in your favor increases should there be a dispute.

Note here that it simply states the likelihood increases. It does not guarantee the Judge will rule in your favor. It is always up to the Judge's discretion how best to proceed.

I already read that article. I simply asked that question to get a reply from Genexwrecker if he/she response is different.

Sound4

Post #17 by Sound4 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:28 am

itsmetristan wrote:

Unfortunately, if someone isn't communicating properly with you no matter what you do, your only option will be to call a judge or leave the duel. Calling a judge because the opponent refused to communicate properly is not judge call abuse, nor is it stalling. You are fully in your right to request a judge in that situation no matter what your opponent may say. When the judge arrives, they will be able to handle the situation appropriately.

Yet in the Maniez replay my opponent refused to communicate this post is contradictory on what you said in the other thread.

Genexwrecker

Post #18 by Genexwrecker » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:24 am

Lets keep the posts to the topic please

Christen57

Post #19 by Christen57 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:20 pm

Sound4 wrote:

The purpose of the thread was what was in the tile that silence is consent and I got confirmation from a silver judge.

Confirmation that silence may be ruled as consent in most cases, not all cases, and each situation regarding this is reviewed on a case by case basis, meaning it can be ruled as consent in one scenario but not consent in a different one.

greg503

Post #20 by greg503 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:37 pm

Sound4 wrote:
MarshieDemon wrote:

Per the Q&A article:

I already read that article. I simply asked that question to get a reply from Genexwrecker if he/she response is different.

No, Genex would not have a different response, they probably helped write that article in the first place
Buy Floowandereeze

Return to “Serious Discussions”