Pause button isn't for pausing?

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
robinatk

Pause button isn't for pausing?

Post #1 by robinatk » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:39 am

Please, help me understand this judges actions.
https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=26610-37468543

The game was paused as the opponent was doing too many actions too quickly without waiting for any responses, I paused to tell them to slow down and they got mad and called a judge for cheating. Why is it illegal to pause the game as to not create a damaged gamestate whilst it is being assessed by a player? If not for that, why on earth does the pause button exist. In real life the game would not continue until the dispute has been settled. Both players are supposed to OK actions to progress to the next step, regardless of how long a combo takes. Why does the judge think I must declare "read" in 1 second where the opponent shouldn't be taking actions unless:
1. I have stated I have no response to the effect
2. I have stated I have no response for the turn - then play quicker I guess

If I had taken 10+ seconds and the opponent could not get me to respond yeah... I'd understand. Especially since at the start of the duel the opponent did activate an effect and waited for the response.

Not to mention the opponent is rude after the fact and that's not even picked up... pretty sure this falls under the disrespectful behaviour regardless of how minor it is.

Renji Asuka

Post #2 by Renji Asuka » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:27 pm

It's the order in which you did the actions that were the issue.

You paused before saying telling your opponent to slow down.

That was the primary issue.

The way you did it was you abusing the button. Now if the opponent didn't listen to you telling them to slow down then you could likely pause the game.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Cromat

Post #3 by Cromat » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:29 pm

The game must go on no matter what, so Judge said so. Don't care about your opponent, you've already won the game as a result. (Kids playing Meta Deck would love to win so your opponent went so mad.)

PENMASTER

Post #4 by PENMASTER » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:19 am

can believe this is in serious discussions. like bro the pause button is only meant to prevent cheating or as a final option if your opp is going to fast and mans used it first chance he got.
I've run into a situation like this but won cause I used the button as the last option
also dm sucks why are you using it in rated
love2hate

Wek

Post #5 by Wek » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:25 am

PENMASTER wrote:also dm sucks why are you using it in rated

Even if a deck sucks, what's wrong with using it in rated?

Genexwrecker

Post #6 by Genexwrecker » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:35 am

robinatk wrote:Please, help me understand this judges actions.

The game was paused as the opponent was doing too many actions too quickly without waiting for any responses, I paused to tell them to slow down and they got mad and called a judge for cheating. Why is it illegal to pause the game as to not create a damaged gamestate whilst it is being assessed by a player? If not for that, why on earth does the pause button exist. In real life the game would not continue until the dispute has been settled. Both players are supposed to OK actions to progress to the next step, regardless of how long a combo takes. Why does the judge think I must declare "read" in 1 second where the opponent shouldn't be taking actions unless:

If I had taken 10+ seconds and the opponent could not get me to respond yeah... I'd understand. Especially since at the start of the duel the opponent did activate an effect and waited for the response.

Not to mention the opponent is rude after the fact and that's not even picked up... pretty sure this falls under the disrespectful behaviour regardless of how minor it is.

we might be removing the pause button soon anyway so i wouldnt worry too much about it. situations like this is exactly why I was against giving users this tool.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

robinatk

Post #7 by robinatk » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:48 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:

we might be removing the pause button soon anyway so i wouldnt worry too much about it. situations like this is exactly why I was against giving users this tool.

I think the issue is there's no rules on the site to say when it's required or not. I don't see a reason why I cannot pause a game for 5 seconds to talk to my opponent before they make anymore plays. It only stayed on to wait for the judge. In real life the game should physically be paused until the dispute was settled.
Last edited by robinatk on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robinatk

Post #8 by robinatk » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:49 pm

PENMASTER wrote:can believe this is in serious discussions. like bro the pause button is only meant to prevent cheating or as a final option if your opp is going to fast and mans used it first chance he got. I've run into a situation like this but won cause I used the button as the last option

Show me where it is written that the pause button is only a final option.

And yet I have way better win/loss ratios than you do...

Renji Asuka

Post #9 by Renji Asuka » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:51 pm

robinatk wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:

I think the issue is there's no rules on the site to say when it's required or not. I don't see a reason why I cannot pause a game for 5 seconds to talk to my opponent before they make anymore plays. It only stayed on to wait for the judge. In real life the game should physically be paused until the dispute was settled.

I mean, it's pretty obvious for when you should or shouldn't pause the game.

You don't pause first, you pause as a last resort.

robinatk

Post #10 by robinatk » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:57 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
robinatk wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:we might be removing the pause button soon anyway so i wouldnt worry too much about it. situations like this is exactly why I was against giving users this tool.

1. Show me where that is written
2. If it's based on real life then the game is stopped when there is a dispute. There was a dispute.

Until it is posted as a rule that I cannot pause the game to stop my opponent advancing a gamestate that both players did not agree to then... I see nothing wrong.

Renji Asuka

Post #11 by Renji Asuka » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:07 pm

robinatk wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
robinatk wrote:I think the issue is there's no rules on the site to say when it's required or not. I don't see a reason why I cannot pause a game for 5 seconds to talk to my opponent before they make anymore plays. It only stayed on to wait for the judge. In real life the game should physically be paused until the dispute was settled.

1. Show me where that is written
2. If it's based on real life then the game is stopped when there is a dispute. There was a dispute.

Until it is posted as a rule that I cannot pause the game to stop my opponent advancing a gamestate that both players did not agree to then... I see nothing wrong.

It doesn't need to be written, it's common sense.

Why couldn't you just, oh idk, ask your opponent to slow down first and try to resolve it that way?

If you did that, you wouldn't be facing the issue you had.

PENMASTER

Post #12 by PENMASTER » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:29 pm

robinatk wrote:
PENMASTER wrote:can believe this is in serious discussions. like bro the pause button is only meant to prevent cheating or as a final option if your opp is going to fast and mans used it first chance he got. I've run into a situation like this but won cause I used the button as the last option

Show me where it is written that the pause button is only a final option.

And yet I have way better win/loss ratios than you do...

firstly common sense

2. I don't care what ratio you have dm sucks and I don't know what decks you could have used for that ratio also
L+ratio+thouch that grass looks greener
love2hate

Return to “Serious Discussions”