*NEW* Duel Tactics Format

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
Volstgalph

*NEW* Duel Tactics Format

Post #1 by Volstgalph » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:46 pm

Important Note: This Format was designed with RP In mind.

Welcome Duelists! I am Proud to present something i've been working on

Duel Tactics Format

And now, even you can play this format with your friends! How does it work? Simple!

Level 4 or lower monsters work as normal, But... the bigger the monster, the more room they need.

For example:
Level 5 and 6 monsters require 2 Monster zones, instead of just 1. They will occupy a zone that is either to the left or right of them.

While Level 7+ monsters will require 3 Monster zones, instead of 1. They will occupy the zones to their Left and Right.

Meaning a field like this:

Will look more like this:

While a monster is occupying more than 1 zone, they will also count as tributes up to the number of zones they occupy: This means instead of sacrificing 2 level 4's for a level 7+, you can tribute 1 Level 5/6.

Extra Deck Rules:
The Rules above extend to Extra deck monsters with 1 exception: The EMZ.
While in the main monster zone, Fusion and Synchros Follow the same rules as main deck monsters:

But while in the EMZ, the will Only occupy the EMZ:

which means, while difficult, summon rank 7/8 monsters is still possible with the help of other extra deck cards or clever Level Manipulation:

XYZ Monsters behave differently as well, Instead of by level, they occupy zones equal to the number of materials they have;

This means if you want to make a monsters with a lot of materials, you better keep that EMZ Open.

Some Closing Notes:
Ruling Notes:
These rules only apply to ORIGINAL Levels, so a Level 7 affected by https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Cost_Down Cost down will still occupy 3 zones.

you Cannot summon a monster to the main monster zone, if that monster would occupy more than 1, if all zones necessary cannot be occupied. Example: https://imgur.com/MwTHFiC monsters requiring 3 zones cannot be summoned to the Far Left or Right zone.

a monster Can be summoned if the action of summoning frees up the pre-requisite zones required for the monster. Example: [img]https://imgur.com/WYkyGat%20[/img] sacrificing Dark Magician and Feral Imp to summon Blue-eyes is legal, even though you dont currently have enough zones for it.

Personal Notes:
The purpose of this is to make Boss monsters feel Bigger in scale instead of "Level 4s with bigger numbers" in the same way something like DND has creatures of different size categories occupy more tiles than a normal creature. It also adds another layer of strategy to the game that i think was lost around MR4, that being Card placement, Summoning a level 8 is great, but if you summon it to the wrong zone, you could accidentally shoot yourself in the foot. This format also adds some interesting tech choices. cards like https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Ground_Collapse are good for stopping threats and decks like Ojamas and Dustons can become an issue, if you arent careful.
Last edited by Volstgalph on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

greg503

Post #2 by greg503 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:06 pm

But what about links?
Buy Floowandereeze

Volstgalph

Post #3 by Volstgalph » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:25 pm

greg503 wrote:But what about links?

Links are played as normal.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #4 by Lil Oldman » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:29 pm

bruh gouki bout to be meta in that
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Volstgalph

Post #5 by Volstgalph » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:45 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:bruh gouki bout to be meta in that

i think if "gouki" is the power ceiling for the format, im okay with that.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #6 by Lil Oldman » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:49 pm

Volstgalph wrote:

ngl I just said Gouki because it is the only Combo Link deck that I know it didn't rely on it's prime on non-link monsters
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."

Volstgalph

Post #7 by Volstgalph » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:20 am

Lil Oldman wrote:
Volstgalph wrote:

ngl I just said Gouki because it is the only Combo Link deck that I know it didn't rely on it's prime on non-link monsters

granted, link decks are more powerful, most of the generic culprits for link spamming, decks like dragon links wont be able to end on 8 negates, decks like ignisters wont be able to make a 6k arrival.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #8 by Lil Oldman » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:34 am

Volstgalph wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:
Volstgalph wrote:i think if "gouki" is the power ceiling for the format, im okay with that.

granted, link decks are more powerful, most of the generic culprits for link spamming, decks like dragon links wont be able to end on 8 negates, decks like ignisters wont be able to make a 6k arrival.

Maybe when the format fleshes out a little more we could appreciate the potential of these decks more.

Jajjack

Post #9 by Jajjack » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:57 am

Looks like fun

Katfulin

Post #10 by Katfulin » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:59 am

What about set monsters? will they still occupy zones if theyre set face down?

Volstgalph

Post #11 by Volstgalph » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:01 am

Katfulin wrote:What about set monsters? will they still occupy zones if theyre set face down?

Set monsters will only occupy 1 zone until flipped up, if it gets flipped and the zones necessary are occupied, it is sent to the gy.

Volstgalph

Post #12 by Volstgalph » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:45 am

Im going to host a tournament to see what shakes out.

PENMASTER

Post #13 by PENMASTER » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:05 am

Volstgalph wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:
Volstgalph wrote:i think if "gouki" is the power ceiling for the format, im okay with that.

ignisters totally work as normal if links work as normal just the not link stuff gets in the way which most comp ignister decks only use after the 6k arrival
love2hate

Return to “Serious Discussions”