Dueling Ethics 101: No Response

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
troglyte
Mood:

Dueling Ethics 101: No Response

Post #1 by troglyte » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:46 am

So you've activated your effect, but your opponent hasn't responded. What do you do?? Here's my step-by-step process for troubleshooting silent players.

Step 1: DO NOT CONTINUE. Silence is NOT consent. There could be any number of reasons why they have not responded yet.

Step 2: Wait a few seconds. Sometimes players have a slow connection or need extra time to read cards. I'd say 15 to 20 seconds would be appropriate.

Step 3: If the opponent has not responded yet, now is the time to reach out to them. A simple "Are you there?" or "Eff ok?" should suffice. This is a great way to initiate communication.

Step 4: If they still have not responded after about a minute or two, it's most likely they are afk or lagging/dc'd. If it's rated, now would be the time to call a judge.
Crab Turtle respects your pronouns.
he/him
Sign the Crab Turtle petition here! http://chng.it/J4rvHFFfZG

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #2 by Lil Oldman » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:52 am

What I usually do is see if they start to type anything, if they do, I stop cold to see what they might say, at the same time of after every eff asking "k?" which conveys the entire message really.

Since I don't play rated, if they become malicious or start stalling way to much I just quit, but in the off chance probably calling a judge is the best course of action.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

PENMASTER

Post #3 by PENMASTER » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:02 am

normaly i wait 8 depending on whats already happened if their silent about 5 to 6 if they are saying k i wait 8 if they read everything and think i always ask and wait for something
love2hate

greg503

Post #4 by greg503 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:06 am

Except when every card they have access to is public knowledge and no responses are available to them
Buy Floowandereeze

Runzy
Mood:

Post #5 by Runzy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:29 am

;)
DB Judge 20/09/2017. 21/11/2023 - Present.
Retired: 15/12/2021 & 26/12/2022
Konami RC-1 & PC-1 Certified (August 2017)
Konami DC-1 Certified (March 2019)

Sound4

Post #6 by Sound4 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:38 pm

I usually wait a few seconds for a response. If the opponent is not saying anything in the chat then that is not the opponents problem. Communication is key In DB and if you are not you should be held accountable. If you have bad connection then that is your responsibility the opponent may even call a judge for slow play because of this.

troglyte
Mood:

Post #7 by troglyte » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:03 pm

Sound4 wrote:I usually wait a few seconds for a response. If the opponent is not saying anything in the chat then that is not the opponents problem. Communication is key In DB and if you are not you should be held accountable. If you have bad connection then that is your responsibility the opponent may even call a judge for slow play because of this.

Communication is a 2-step process: Speaking and Listening. You need to do both for it to be called Communication.

Not listening is just as bad as not speaking. Both need to be held accountable.

Speaking of listening, there's an astronomical difference between 'your opponent not saying anything' and 'you not understanding what your opponent is saying.'
Crab Turtle respects your pronouns.
he/him
Sign the Crab Turtle petition here! http://chng.it/J4rvHFFfZG

Renji Asuka

Post #8 by Renji Asuka » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:36 pm

Sound4 wrote:I usually wait a few seconds for a response. If the opponent is not saying anything in the chat then that is not the opponents problem. Communication is key In DB and if you are not you should be held accountable. If you have bad connection then that is your responsibility the opponent may even call a judge for slow play because of this.

Considering the bullshit you been pulling, I recommend you staying out of Rated. You're lucky I'm not an admin otherwise I'd make you a perma beginner.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

Sound4

Post #9 by Sound4 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:42 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:

Considering the bullshit you been pulling, I recommend you staying out of Rated. You're lucky I'm not an admin otherwise I'd make you a perma beginner.

There is nothing that would warrant a permanent beginner status.

Sound4

Post #10 by Sound4 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:04 pm

troglyte wrote:

Communication is a 2-step process: Speaking and Listening. You need to do both for it to be called Communication.

Speaking of listening, there's an astronomical difference between 'your opponent not saying anything' and 'you not understanding what your opponent is saying.'

Communication is an act of transferring information to a place, person or group. It depends on the situation who is held the most accountable but if the person is not communicating clearly then the one who is speaking should be the one held accountable the most.

Communicating clearly results in the parties involved satisfied and feeling accomplished. By delivering messages clearly, there is no room for misunderstanding or alteration of messages, which decreases the potential for conflict.
The one who is speaking not communicating clearly is the one starting the argument meaning the person who is starting the argument should be held accountable the most

Renji Asuka

Post #11 by Renji Asuka » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:15 pm

Sound4 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:

Your constant lying, your rule sharking, you not accepting a judge's decision, you not understanding that your opponent has a right to a response. All that's enough to warrant a perma beginner status.

Sound4

Post #12 by Sound4 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:46 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Sound4 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Considering the bullshit you been pulling, I recommend you staying out of Rated. You're lucky I'm not an admin otherwise I'd make you a perma beginner.

Your constant lying, your rule sharking, you not accepting a judge's decision, you not understanding that your opponent has a right to a response. All that's enough to warrant a perma beginner status.

There was no lying. The judge would have given me the game loss if I was rule sharking N3sh "decision" had its flaws which I was questioning but N3sh didn't care.

Renji Asuka

Post #13 by Renji Asuka » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:47 pm

Sound4 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Sound4 wrote:There is nothing that would warrant a permanent beginner status.

There was no lying. The judge would have given me the game loss if I was rule sharking N3sh "decision" had its flaws which I was questioning but N3sh didn't care.

And you're still lying.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #14 by Lil Oldman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:29 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Sound4 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Your constant lying, your rule sharking, you not accepting a judge's decision, you not understanding that your opponent has a right to a response. All that's enough to warrant a perma beginner status.

And you're still lying.

It becomes full circle
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

greg503

Post #15 by greg503 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:01 pm

Sound4 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:

You're right, it warrants ANOTHER perma-ban. :lol:
Buy Floowandereeze

greg503

Post #16 by greg503 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:02 pm

Sound4 wrote:
troglyte wrote:

Communication is an act of transferring information to a place, person or group. It depends on the situation who is held the most accountable but if the person is not communicating clearly then the one who is speaking should be the one held accountable the most.

Communicating clearly results in the parties involved satisfied and feeling accomplished. By delivering messages clearly, there is no room for misunderstanding or alteration of messages, which decreases the potential for conflict.
The one who is speaking not communicating clearly is the one starting the argument meaning the person who is starting the argument should be held accountable the most

Which is what you did :lol:
Buy Floowandereeze

Sound4

Post #17 by Sound4 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:40 am

greg503 wrote:
Sound4 wrote:
troglyte wrote:

Which is what you did :lol:

Can you elaborate?

Sound4

Post #18 by Sound4 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:40 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Sound4 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Your constant lying, your rule sharking, you not accepting a judge's decision, you not understanding that your opponent has a right to a response. All that's enough to warrant a perma beginner status.

And you're still lying.

Explain

Renji Asuka

Post #19 by Renji Asuka » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:46 am

Sound4 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Sound4 wrote:There was no lying. The judge would have given me the game loss if I was rule sharking N3sh "decision" had its flaws which I was questioning but N3sh didn't care.

And you're still lying.

Explain

Its been explained to you in the other thread. Now you're deliberately being stupid.

Sound4

Post #20 by Sound4 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:48 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Sound4 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:And you're still lying.

Explain

Its been explained to you in the other thread. Now you're deliberately being stupid.

I replied to those and answered them.

Return to “Serious Discussions”