Dueling Ethics 101: No Response

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
greg503

Re: Dueling Ethics 101: No Response

Post #21 by greg503 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:59 pm

Sound4 wrote:
greg503 wrote:
Sound4 wrote:The person who is starting the argument should be held accountable the most

Which is what you did :lol:

Can you elaborate?

By refusing to acknowledge your opponent's response, you "started the argument" over it.
Buy Floowandereeze

Renji Asuka

Post #22 by Renji Asuka » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:28 pm

Sound4 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Sound4 wrote:Explain

Its been explained to you in the other thread. Now you're deliberately being stupid.

I replied to those and answered them.

And you're still wrong.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

troglyte
Mood:

Post #23 by troglyte » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:03 pm

I play Rush Duels a lot, and in that format, it's common for people to just speed through their summons and not wait for a response. I think this can be justified for a few reasons:

1. As of right now, the only way to interact with your opponent, aside from battle, is through trap cards with specific conditions. If you know the deck types well enough, it's easy to guess what kind of traps the opponent has. In Master Duels there are so many different ways to interact on your opponent's turn it's nearly required to confirm every play.

2. I trust Rush Duelists more than Master Duelists. The rules are very easy to pick up, and ruling disputes are very rare, so most Rush Duelists have a solid grasp of the mechanics. They are also very accommadating. If I'm a bit slow to respond, Rush Duelists have no problem slowing down and/or fixing the gamestate. And since their is no rated pool, people aren't as motivated to cheat or rush through their plays.

If a rated pool is made for Rush Duels, my views on this might change.
Crab Turtle respects your pronouns.
he/him
Sign the Crab Turtle petition here! http://chng.it/J4rvHFFfZG

BoomerDuels

Post #24 by BoomerDuels » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:01 am

troglyte wrote:So you've activated your effect, but your opponent hasn't responded. What do you do?? Here's my step-by-step process for troubleshooting silent players.

Step 1: DO NOT CONTINUE. Silence is NOT consent. There could be any number of reasons why they have not responded yet.

Step 2: Wait a few seconds. Sometimes players have a slow connection or need extra time to read cards. I'd say 15 to 20 seconds would be appropriate.

Step 3: If the opponent has not responded yet, now is the time to reach out to them. A simple "Are you there?" or "Eff ok?" should suffice. This is a great way to initiate communication.

Step 4: If they still have not responded after about a minute or two, it's most likely they are afk or lagging/dc'd. If it's rated, now would be the time to call a judge.

What are the valid reasons?
Not having read the card or still thinking means that you should just put "Read" or "Think" in chat
And slow connection etc is definitely not my problem

Renji Asuka

Post #25 by Renji Asuka » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:04 am

BoomerDuels wrote:
troglyte wrote:So you've activated your effect, but your opponent hasn't responded. What do you do?? Here's my step-by-step process for troubleshooting silent players.

Step 1: DO NOT CONTINUE. Silence is NOT consent. There could be any number of reasons why they have not responded yet.

Step 2: Wait a few seconds. Sometimes players have a slow connection or need extra time to read cards. I'd say 15 to 20 seconds would be appropriate.

Step 3: If the opponent has not responded yet, now is the time to reach out to them. A simple "Are you there?" or "Eff ok?" should suffice. This is a great way to initiate communication.

Step 4: If they still have not responded after about a minute or two, it's most likely they are afk or lagging/dc'd. If it's rated, now would be the time to call a judge.

Not having read the card or still thinking means that you should just put "Read" or "Think" in chat

Or you know, don't make a play until you are given the okay to do so.

BoomerDuels

Post #26 by BoomerDuels » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:14 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
BoomerDuels wrote:

if my opponent waits like 5 seconds then I think that that is consent

Renji Asuka

Post #27 by Renji Asuka » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:10 am

BoomerDuels wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
BoomerDuels wrote:

if my opponent waits like 5 seconds then I think that that is consent

Doesn't matter what you think, unless you're given the clear go ahead, you do not continue

troglyte
Mood:

Post #28 by troglyte » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:42 pm

BoomerDuels wrote:

Valid reasons could be a number of things.
1. Maybe something happened irl and they needed to look away for a second
2. Maybe they are in fact reading or thinking, and forgot to type it.
3. Yes, slow connection is a thing. It happens to the best of us. I for one very much appreciate the DC timer that was added.

The best thing you could possibly do is clear the fog. Establish clear ground rules for responses and communication. This could be as simple as saying "I'll let you know if I have a response" or just clicking the Thumbs Up button whenever your opponent makes a play.

I personally disagree with the "Not my problem" argument. It's a 2-player game, and if one person is not able or refusing to communicate, it is, in fact, both players' problem, and needs to be addressed immediately. The way DB is designed, it's up to the players to establish a certain level of trust between them, much like in real life.
he/him

Sound4

Post #29 by Sound4 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:23 pm

troglyte wrote:
BoomerDuels wrote:

3. Yes, slow connection is a thing. It happens to the best of us. I for one very much appreciate the DC timer that was added.

The best thing you could possibly do is clear the fog. Establish clear ground rules for responses and communication. This could be as simple as saying "I'll let you know if I have a response" or just clicking the Thumbs Up button whenever your opponent makes a play.

I personally disagree with the "Not my problem" argument. It's a 2-player game, and if one person is not able or refusing to communicate, it is, in fact, both players' problem, and needs to be addressed immediately. The way DB is designed, it's up to the players to establish a certain level of trust between them, much like in real life.

If you are getting distracted then that is your fault you are not paying attention to the duel. You should play DB when you are free with no distractions. If your opponent is not saying anything then that is your problem not the other players you play as normal. You are not waiting 10-15 seconds for a response as that is slowing down the game.
https://www.yugioh-card.com/ph/event/ru ... s/?lang=en
"Though an average of 3 minutes may be spent on each turn, excessive time should not be spent to allow the tournament to proceed properly. Any duelists caught taking too long (or intentionally stalling for time) may be penalized."

greg503

Post #30 by greg503 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:14 pm

Sound4 wrote:
troglyte wrote:
BoomerDuels wrote:

If you are getting distracted then that is your fault you are not paying attention to the duel. You should play DB when you are free with no distractions. If your opponent is not saying anything then that is your problem not the other players you play as normal. You are not waiting 10-15 seconds for a response as that is slowing down the game.
"Though an average of 3 minutes may be spent on each turn, excessive time should not be spent to allow the tournament to proceed properly. Any duelists caught taking too long (or intentionally stalling for time) may be penalized."

Since when did Rated have a time limit like tournaments?
Buy Floowandereeze

troglyte
Mood:

Post #31 by troglyte » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:29 pm

Sound4 wrote:
troglyte wrote:
BoomerDuels wrote:

Read my posts.
he/him

Sound4

Post #32 by Sound4 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:47 am

troglyte wrote:
Sound4 wrote:
troglyte wrote:

Read my posts.

The thing is that when multiple people reply to me and you reply to one of my posts. You say stuff which I have already answered. Also I replied to everything you said nice try though.

Renji Asuka

Post #33 by Renji Asuka » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:16 pm

Sound4 wrote:
troglyte wrote:
Sound4 wrote:If you are getting distracted then that is your fault you are not paying attention to the duel. You should play DB when you are free with no distractions. If your opponent is not saying anything then that is your problem not the other players you play as normal. You are not waiting 10-15 seconds for a response as that is slowing down the game.

Read my posts.

The thing is that when multiple people reply to me and you reply to one of my posts. You say stuff which I have already answered. Also I replied to everything you said nice try though.

Read his posts.

greg503

Post #34 by greg503 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
Sound4 wrote:
troglyte wrote:
Read my posts.

Read his posts.

Reread your own posts, Sound4
Buy Floowandereeze

Renji Asuka

Post #35 by Renji Asuka » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:25 pm

greg503 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Sound4 wrote:The thing is that when multiple people reply to me and you reply to one of my posts. You say stuff which I have already answered. Also I replied to everything you said nice try though.

Read his posts.

Reread your own posts, Sound4

Why quote me directly? Lmao

troglyte
Mood:

Post #36 by troglyte » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:54 pm

Sound4 wrote:
troglyte wrote:
Sound4 wrote:If you are getting distracted then that is your fault you are not paying attention to the duel. You should play DB when you are free with no distractions. If your opponent is not saying anything then that is your problem not the other players you play as normal. You are not waiting 10-15 seconds for a response as that is slowing down the game.

Read my posts.

Read my posts again.
he/him

KTeknis

Post #37 by KTeknis » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:03 am

Is this going to be Moonsamurai all over again?
I have interest in badly designed custom cards.
You saw these cards as terrible, I saw them as ideas.

greg503

Post #38 by greg503 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:26 am

KTeknis wrote:Is this going to be Moonsamurai all over again?

There's always someone
Buy Floowandereeze

BoomerDuels

Post #39 by BoomerDuels » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:23 am

troglyte wrote:
BoomerDuels wrote:

Both the first 2 are not valid reasons
In both the situations - The opponent should be the one showing basic courtesy to me by taking 2 seconds to type "Hollup" or "Read" or :Think" in chat

If they do not - It is my right to do a play
And if 1 player has an issue with, or example, the internet - That is not my fault. It is entirely their responsibility to make sure they have a stable internet connection. If they do not - It is not my problem and it is definitely my right to continue playing

Renji Asuka

Post #40 by Renji Asuka » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:29 am

BoomerDuels wrote:
troglyte wrote:
BoomerDuels wrote:

Both the first 2 are not valid reasons
In both the situations - The opponent should be the one showing basic courtesy to me by taking 2 seconds to type "Hollup" or "Read" or :Think" in chat

If they do not - It is my right to do a play
And if 1 player has an issue with, or example, the internet - That is not my fault. It is entirely their responsibility to make sure they have a stable internet connection. If they do not - It is not my problem and it is definitely my right to continue playing

You do not have a right to play, your opponent has a right to respond to your plays. Because of this, you DO NOT make a play until given the okay to do so. You can and will likely get a game loss otherwise.

Call judge, let them deal with it.

Return to “Serious Discussions”