Variety of Decks in the custom pool.

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
| Hanverid |
Mood:

Variety of Decks in the custom pool.

Post #1 by | Hanverid | » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:30 pm

I noticed that most of custom archetypes people make are always of the same type: Combo.

It's really hard to find other types of decks, like:
· Stall.
· Burn.
· Aggro.
· Control.
· Deckout.
· Beatdown.
· Victory agreement.
· Alternate win condition.

And a long etc.

Personally, I use a custom Control deck that is focused around preventing the opponent from spamming the field with monsters (by setting them face-down plus limiting their Main Monster Zones) & spells / traps. And since control decks are a natural counter to combo decks, both in the TCG and OCG, I win 99% of my duels.

So, I would like to know if there's a reason for this, why do people only make custom Combo decks?, just to end with a board full of negates.
Fire whoever designed that bottle. KaibaCorp's products shouldn't bend so easily.

Alter-Ego

Post #2 by Alter-Ego » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:59 pm

Sadly everyone tries to build the next D/D/D with a heavy splash of unfairness. Not interested in customs because of that reason, but I love control decks in general . I like to see an underpowered custom deck for a change.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #3 by Lil Oldman » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:18 pm

I usually try and make gimmicky decks. I've done recently beat down and control.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Renji Asuka

Post #4 by Renji Asuka » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:49 pm

A long time ago, I created a Custom Archetype that was a combo stun deck, it would flood the field forcing your opponent to send the top 2 cards of their deck to activate a spell, trap, monster effect. Even to Summon a monster and attack. Then it could Synchro Summon into monsters with Stardust Dragon like Mechanics to negate certain things.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

| Hanverid |
Mood:

Post #5 by | Hanverid | » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:17 pm

Alter-Ego wrote:Sadly everyone tries to build the next D/D/D with a heavy splash of unfairness. Not interested in customs because of that reason, but I love control decks in general . I like to see an underpowered custom deck for a change.

I agree with you and this is very weird, after all, most people say that they play customs because the metagame is full of combo decks that play solitaire to make an unbreakable board. So going to customs and making decks that are literally (if not worse) than the metagame... it's very contradictory.
Fire whoever designed that bottle. KaibaCorp's products shouldn't bend so easily.

| Hanverid |
Mood:

Post #6 by | Hanverid | » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:18 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:I usually try and make gimmicky decks. I've done recently beat down and control.

Yh, but the big majority plays custom Combo decks.

| Hanverid |
Mood:

Post #7 by | Hanverid | » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:20 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:A long time ago, I created a Custom Archetype that was a combo stun deck, it would flood the field forcing your opponent to send the top 2 cards of their deck to activate a spell, trap, monster effect. Even to Summon a monster and attack. Then it could Synchro Summon into monsters with Stardust Dragon like Mechanics to negate certain things.

To be honest, I think that's the path the game is destined to take, we blame konami for making busted op cards that don't allow the players to play, but in the end when people have the opportunity to "fix" the game and make better cards, they take the same path as konami did, Combo unbreakable boards. :lol:

Levionia

Post #8 by Levionia » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:08 pm

Because TCG has always been Combo focused and Combo decks are very flashy and impressive chaining together monsters and effects. I typically make control decks, i have fun ones, like Instectr(ick/raps) which are flip monsters with effects that activate when another effect in the column activates. But i rarely get to play it :( i have to play hard control to get a chance to play at all, and even then most people bring some really broken cards. Custom really needs moderation.

Renji Asuka

Post #9 by Renji Asuka » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:45 am

| Hanverid | wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:A long time ago, I created a Custom Archetype that was a combo stun deck, it would flood the field forcing your opponent to send the top 2 cards of their deck to activate a spell, trap, monster effect. Even to Summon a monster and attack. Then it could Synchro Summon into monsters with Stardust Dragon like Mechanics to negate certain things.

To be honest, I think that's the path the game is destined to take, we blame konami for making busted op cards that don't allow the players to play, but in the end when people have the opportunity to "fix" the game and make better cards, they take the same path as konami did, Combo unbreakable boards. :lol:

The deck (assuming playing pure) never made unbreakable boards, it just forced players to play their decks differently.

Neo_Fire_Sonic

Post #10 by Neo_Fire_Sonic » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:12 am

| Hanverid | wrote:I noticed that most of custom archetypes people make are always of the same type: Combo.

It's really hard to find other types of decks, like:
· Stall.
· Burn.
· Aggro.
· Control.
· Deckout.
· Beatdown.
· Victory agreement.
· Alternate win condition.

And a long etc..

I'm fairly certain I've ran into a custom archetype for each type of deck you mentioned. You probably don't play DB enough. Get online more, you'd be surprised.
b

Debt

Post #11 by Debt » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 am

The strongest things in yugioh are combo and control. People want to make what works.

Renji Asuka

Post #12 by Renji Asuka » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Debt wrote:The strongest things in yugioh are combo and control. People want to make what works.

To add onto this, it really just depends on how good the best cards are.

Return to “Serious Discussions”