Cut the excuses and HIRE MORE JUDGES

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
Renji Asuka

Re: Cut the excuses and HIRE MORE JUDGES

Post #21 by Renji Asuka » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:10 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Hell, when I volunteer at the church in town to help pass out food, I have to be there before people start showing up to get food to not only help set it up, but to also bring in MORE food that is given out. I'm not being paid to do it. Sorry Genexwrecker, there's just no excuse to be this lax even with volunteers. Mind you, I'm not saying they have to dedicate their entire day, but they can literally dedicate 3-4 hours of helping, and if they can't (outside of real life responsibilities), they don't need to be a judge.

Volunteering irl is an entirely different scenario. You cannot possibly compare it to running a non profit free site. Irl you have set dates and times where things need to occur. a website is literally run 24/7 and there is always stuff to do. And getting Judges hired from each timezone is also very difficult because not only do they need to be from those timezones but they need to know very very good english to judge properly. Trying to get multiple people from each timezone with those english skills and ability to be a very competent judge is absurdly rare. it took us forever to just get more than 1 judge that resides in brazil. Now then as for your 3-4 hours to judge straight you have to realize the task you are asking of people this isnt something that you can binge and do a good job at. Judging on duelingbook varies call to call and pending on what the calls are you might not be at the mental capacity after just 5 calls to go any furthur without huring the quality of the calls. sometimes you could go 40 calls without issue. There are so many variables to how long one can consistantly judge at one time. We do have a minimum requirements of each judge and specific duties they must fulfill. If they cannot fulfill those then they will be removed.

Volunteering irl is NOT different than volunteering for something online. Both REQUIRES a person to PUT IN TIME TO SAID THING THEY VOLUNTEERED FOR. And if they CAN'T put in a TINY AMOUNT OF THEIR TIME TO DO THE WORK, THEY SHOULDN'T HAD VOLUNTEERED TO BEGIN WITH. Asking for ONLY 3 hours of their time ISN'T impossible to work with. If a person can't handle making those calls, they shouldn't apply to be a judge. I never claimed it'd be easy, but frankly its pathetic. I seen DuelingNetwork have more active judges throughout the day than DuelingBook. So cut the excuses.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

DarkPhenix

Post #22 by DarkPhenix » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:26 am

That has already been discussed and explored by Dueling Book. This topic has already been brought up numerous times and has already been addressed in other threads.
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #23 by Lil Oldman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:53 am

Woah. He became a toe
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Genexwrecker

Post #24 by Genexwrecker » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:10 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:Woah. He became a toe

Yes the only TO I hired in the past year. Another sentiment to how hard it is to find somebody that fits the criteria to be staff on here.

renji you seem to be missing the points I have made. Judges are required to do their job, they are required to take a certain amount of calls, and they are required to be active. Though there is info I cannot share publicly on the subject there are again very strict requirements to judge and if they do not follow them they are removed.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Christen57

Post #25 by Christen57 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:10 pm

GayNProud wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Hell, when I volunteer at the church in town to help pass out food, I have to be there before people start showing up to get food to not only help set it up, but to also bring in MORE food that is given out. I'm not being paid to do it. Sorry Genexwrecker, there's just no excuse to be this lax even with volunteers. Mind you, I'm not saying they have to dedicate their entire day, but they can literally dedicate 3-4 hours of helping, and if they can't (outside of real life responsibilities), they don't need to be a judge.

Volunteering irl is an entirely different scenario. You cannot possibly compare it to running a non profit free site. Irl you have set dates and times where things need to occur. a website is literally run 24/7 and there is always stuff to do. And getting Judges hired from each timezone is also very difficult because not only do they need to be from those timezones but they need to know very very good english to judge properly. Trying to get multiple people from each timezone with those english skills and ability to be a very competent judge is absurdly rare. it took us forever to just get more than 1 judge that resides in brazil. Now then as for your 3-4 hours to judge straight you have to realize the task you are asking of people this isnt something that you can binge and do a good job at. Judging on duelingbook varies call to call and pending on what the calls are you might not be at the mental capacity after just 5 calls to go any furthur without huring the quality of the calls. sometimes you could go 40 calls without issue. There are so many variables to how long one can consistantly judge at one time. We do have a minimum requirements of each judge and specific duties they must fulfill. If they cannot fulfill those then they will be removed.

All I am hearing you say is that there is no solution to the problem of not having enough judges/judges throughout the day. No matter what the reasons are, we need to be working towards solving the problem in one shape or form.

For example, here is an idea someone proposed: creating a different tier of judges. Ones who only have the ability to give game losses to individuals who have been maliciously AFK. Nothing more nothing else.

I believe I'm the one that suggested this, although I can't remember where exactly on the forum I suggested it, but Genexwrecker said he wouldn't consider this... for some reason.

DarkPhenix

Post #26 by DarkPhenix » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:13 pm

Genex already explained that they had considered it and decided to give the idea a pass.
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #27 by Lil Oldman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:23 pm

Big Q regarding this, do Judges get notified or something? If so, having an alt guarding is actually worse than regular guarding, maybe if they can disguise themselves without leaving the benefits of notifications.
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."

Christen57

Post #28 by Christen57 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:24 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:Big Q regarding this, do Judges get notified or something? If so, having an alt guarding is actually worse than regular guarding, maybe if they can disguise themselves without leaving the benefits of notifications.

What do you mean by "guarding"? Guarding what?

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #29 by Lil Oldman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:26 pm

Christen57 wrote:
Lil Oldman wrote:Big Q regarding this, do Judges get notified or something? If so, having an alt guarding is actually worse than regular guarding, maybe if they can disguise themselves without leaving the benefits of notifications.

What do you mean by "guarding"? Guarding what?

a judge being on duty in an alt instead to not appear in as "online"

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #30 by Lil Oldman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:30 pm

With guarding I literally mean on duty, didnt found a better word for it.

Genexwrecker

Post #31 by Genexwrecker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:05 am

Christen57 wrote:
GayNProud wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:Volunteering irl is an entirely different scenario. You cannot possibly compare it to running a non profit free site. Irl you have set dates and times where things need to occur. a website is literally run 24/7 and there is always stuff to do. And getting Judges hired from each timezone is also very difficult because not only do they need to be from those timezones but they need to know very very good english to judge properly. Trying to get multiple people from each timezone with those english skills and ability to be a very competent judge is absurdly rare. it took us forever to just get more than 1 judge that resides in brazil. Now then as for your 3-4 hours to judge straight you have to realize the task you are asking of people this isnt something that you can binge and do a good job at. Judging on duelingbook varies call to call and pending on what the calls are you might not be at the mental capacity after just 5 calls to go any furthur without huring the quality of the calls. sometimes you could go 40 calls without issue. There are so many variables to how long one can consistantly judge at one time. We do have a minimum requirements of each judge and specific duties they must fulfill. If they cannot fulfill those then they will be removed.

All I am hearing you say is that there is no solution to the problem of not having enough judges/judges throughout the day. No matter what the reasons are, we need to be working towards solving the problem in one shape or form.

For example, here is an idea someone proposed: creating a different tier of judges. Ones who only have the ability to give game losses to individuals who have been maliciously AFK. Nothing more nothing else.

I believe I'm the one that suggested this, although I can't remember where exactly on the forum I suggested it, but Genexwrecker said he wouldn't consider this... for some reason.
We discussed the idea of having different judges for different things or mods and decided it was an absolute no. this has not changed since then.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

GayNProud

Post #32 by GayNProud » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:53 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
GayNProud wrote:

We discussed the idea of having different judges for different things or mods and decided it was an absolute no. this has not changed since then.

Again, offer us some kind of solution. Tell us you are working on it. Ask us to brainstorm with you. Tell us how we can help. All you are doing is just shutting down everything, and leaving unsatisfied and maliciously stalled.

You did interact with me in my other post about "judges ignoring reports". The issue here goes hand in hand with that. I would not need to make NUMEROUS abuse reports if I did not have to deal with almost every single issue myself due to judges never coming on. Judges are almost NEVER on. This is crazy.

No matter how many internal rules and policies you cannot share with us, all we actually care about is the RESULT. What is the result we have? Judges not on most of the day. And whenever they are on, they are just too few judges for the abundance of calls. Couple that with the fact that you guys do not respond to abuse reports, you get RAMPAGE running around in the website's rated sections.

Now, go back and think about your very strict criteria for hiring judges. Why do you enforce this? Isn't it to keep the quality of the website high? Is that the result you are actually achieving? No. Meaning? Something must change.

It is not like we are over here just bitching and complaining. We are trying to propose solutions.

Renji Asuka

Post #33 by Renji Asuka » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:58 am

Here is what I see, Duelingbook has been up since Feb 26, 2017. So why is it after almost 4 years, the admins don't seem to give a crap about the playerbase? Let me explain. All the excuses I seen come from you GenexWrecker, essentially boiled down to "We don't want to because we're lazy" or "We don't want to because Judges have real life obligations, and are not required to do their job or even log in." Despite options being presented and the higher ups don't want to hear it.

What this tells me is that, being a judge or even an admin is just being treated as a club to do in one's spare time and not take the work seriously, nothing more. And if that is the case, why should I bother to use DuelingBook over something like YgoPro. Or, why should I go into rated, knowing no judge will ever be on, and if one is on, they only hop on for a few minutes.

Which then gives you 2 options, either remove rated and the need for judges if no judge wants to do their job. Or, give them schedules. Which is easier to do? In my opinion the 2nd option seems like the obvious answer, yet you seem to be extremely adamant in not letting judges be held to a higher standard. Yet, your hiring process is just that, you want quality.

Which then boils down to, the judges that are never on, were never of good quality, which then brings into question of the hiring process. Either the standards are too low, or its too lax.

Christen57

Post #34 by Christen57 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:32 pm

GayNProud wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Again, offer us some kind of solution. Tell us you are working on it. Ask us to brainstorm with you. Tell us how we can help. All you are doing is just shutting down everything, and leaving unsatisfied and maliciously stalled.

You did interact with me in my other post about "judges ignoring reports". The issue here goes hand in hand with that. I would not need to make NUMEROUS abuse reports if I did not have to deal with almost every single issue myself due to judges never coming on. Judges are almost NEVER on. This is crazy.

No matter how many internal rules and policies you cannot share with us, all we actually care about is the RESULT. What is the result we have? Judges not on most of the day. And whenever they are on, they are just too few judges for the abundance of calls. Couple that with the fact that you guys do not respond to abuse reports, you get RAMPAGE running around in the website's rated sections.

Now, go back and think about your very strict criteria for hiring judges. Why do you enforce this? Isn't it to keep the quality of the website high? Is that the result you are actually achieving? No. Meaning? Something must change.

It is not like we are over here just bitching and complaining. We are trying to propose solutions.

What abuse reports have they been ignoring?

Also, if it's true that they're ignoring abuse reports, wouldn't spamming more abuse reports only make judges ignore them even further? I'm pretty sure only 1 abuse report at a time is enough.

Christen57

Post #35 by Christen57 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
GayNProud wrote:

Renji Asuka wrote:Here is what I see, Duelingbook has been up since Feb 26, 2017. So why is it after almost 4 years, the admins don't seem to give a crap about the playerbase? Let me explain. All the excuses I seen come from you GenexWrecker, essentially boiled down to "We don't want to because we're lazy" or "We don't want to because Judges have real life obligations, and are not required to do their job or even log in." Despite options being presented and the higher ups don't want to hear it.

What this tells me is that, being a judge or even an admin is just being treated as a club to do in one's spare time and not take the work seriously, nothing more. And if that is the case, why should I bother to use DuelingBook over something like YgoPro. Or, why should I go into rated, knowing no judge will ever be on, and if one is on, they only hop on for a few minutes.

Which then gives you 2 options, either remove rated and the need for judges if no judge wants to do their job. Or, give them schedules. Which is easier to do? In my opinion the 2nd option seems like the obvious answer, yet you seem to be extremely adamant in not letting judges be held to a higher standard. Yet, your hiring process is just that, you want quality.

Which then boils down to, the judges that are never on, were never of good quality, which then brings into question of the hiring process. Either the standards are too low, or its too lax.

Calling judges lazy isn't helping anyone. If anything, it makes them less likely to want to listen to you.

What would help is if they at least gave us some reason as to why they decided having judges with more power but more responsibility and judges with less power but less responsibility would be a bad idea. It would alleviate the issue of people having to wait long periods of time just because their opponent was stalling. The judges with only the power to answer calls related to stalling would be able to answer them, while the judges with more power could focus more on the bigger responsibilities such as rulings. Instead we are told only that "we discussed it and we decided not to do it" and nothing else.

Another thing that would help that I don't think anyone else previously brought up would be if players had the option to make a certain sound play whenever a judge arrives to their duel. I've had rated duels in the past where I had to call a judge, but I also wanted to take a quick shower or go grab something to eat, but I was worried the judge would come while I was showering/eating and give me a loss for not being present. So if you call a judge, you can leave your computer temporarily, and when the judge comes, your computer/browser plays a certain, for example, beeping sound, or maybe your profile song, so you know a judge has arrived and should return to your computer.

This wouldn't fix the issue of the lack of judges, but it would make waiting for them in the first place a lot less stressful. It would be a step in the right direction, even if would be only a small one.

d1234

Post #36 by d1234 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:04 pm

Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
GayNProud wrote:

You have said this multiple times and have never given a reason.
Remove Dark Cyborg from beginner.

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #37 by Lil Oldman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:07 pm

Renji Asuka

Post #38 by Renji Asuka » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 am

Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

Renji Asuka wrote:Here is what I see, Duelingbook has been up since Feb 26, 2017. So why is it after almost 4 years, the admins don't seem to give a crap about the playerbase? Let me explain. All the excuses I seen come from you GenexWrecker, essentially boiled down to "We don't want to because we're lazy" or "We don't want to because Judges have real life obligations, and are not required to do their job or even log in." Despite options being presented and the higher ups don't want to hear it.

Calling judges lazy isn't helping anyone. If anything, it makes them less likely to want to listen to you.

What would help is if they at least gave us some reason as to why they decided having judges with more power but more responsibility and judges with less power but less responsibility would be a bad idea. It would alleviate the issue of people having to wait long periods of time just because their opponent was stalling. The judges with only the power to answer calls related to stalling would be able to answer them, while the judges with more power could focus more on the bigger responsibilities such as rulings. Instead we are told only that "we discussed it and we decided not to do it" and nothing else.

Another thing that would help that I don't think anyone else previously brought up would be if players had the option to make a certain sound play whenever a judge arrives to their duel. I've had rated duels in the past where I had to call a judge, but I also wanted to take a quick shower or go grab something to eat, but I was worried the judge would come while I was showering/eating and give me a loss for not being present. So if you call a judge, you can leave your computer temporarily, and when the judge comes, your computer/browser plays a certain, for example, beeping sound, or maybe your profile song, so you know a judge has arrived and should return to your computer.

This wouldn't fix the issue of the lack of judges, but it would make waiting for them in the first place a lot less stressful. It would be a step in the right direction, even if would be only a small one.

The lazy part is how I see the whole situation, could I had worded it differently? Yes, but its what I see and how I honestly feel about it. Its more of being blunt than anything.

Also if you're in the middle of a duel in rated, why would you leave to take a shower or do something else? Why not do all those things before you get on DB?

Christen57

Post #39 by Christen57 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:52 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:We discussed the idea of having different judges for different things or mods and decided it was an absolute no. this has not changed since then.

The lazy part is how I see the whole situation, could I had worded it differently? Yes, but its what I see and how I honestly feel about it. Its more of being blunt than anything.

Also if you're in the middle of a duel in rated, why would you leave to take a shower or do something else? Why not do all those things before you get on DB?

We need solutions, not insults. The staff doesn't struggle to hire more judges because they're lazy. They struggle to do it because they have strict criteria for becoming a judge. If you believe their standards are too high, then focus on that, but having high standards isn't laziness. Lazy means wanting to do as little work as possible. Hiring the right judges based on their criteria is a lot of work.

Also, sometimes unexpected things happen. Maybe I'm in the middle of a rated duel and I need to answer the door, take a phone call, or get something to eat because I suddenly have a growth spurt. It would help if I had the browser alert me with a sound when a judge arrives so I know I need to return to the duel immediately. I don't want to just sit in my chair staring at my screen for over an hour as I wait for a judge to arrive. I want to be able to pass the time without worrying about a judge coming when I'm not there don't know about it then giving me a loss for not sitting in my chair for over an hour straight, waiting, and staring at the screen. An alert system would make waiting for judges less boring and less stressful.

Renji Asuka

Post #40 by Renji Asuka » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:55 am

Christen57 wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Christen57 wrote:

We need solutions, not insults. The staff doesn't struggle to hire more judges because they're lazy. They struggle to do it because they have strict criteria for becoming a judge. If you believe their standards are too high, then focus on that, but having high standards isn't laziness. Lazy means wanting to do as little work as possible. Hiring the right judges based on their criteria is a lot of work.

Also, sometimes unexpected things happen. Maybe I'm in the middle of a rated duel and I need to answer the door, take a phone call, or get something to eat because I suddenly have a growth spurt. It would help if I had the browser alert me with a sound when a judge arrives so I know I need to return to the duel immediately. I don't want to just sit in my chair staring at my screen for over an hour as I wait for a judge to arrive. I want to be able to pass the time without worrying about a judge coming when I'm not there don't know about it then giving me a loss for not sitting in my chair for over an hour straight, waiting, and staring at the screen. An alert system would make waiting for judges less boring and less stressful.

I never once advocate for more hiring judges, but every solution given to them are easy things to implement, they don't want to do it. I only been advocating for Judges to be put on shifts. And the fact its being shot down is showing that the judges don't want to do their job making them lazy. There is 0 excuse for judges not to be online.

Return to “Serious Discussions”