Cut the excuses and HIRE MORE JUDGES

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
GayNProud

Cut the excuses and HIRE MORE JUDGES

Post #1 by GayNProud » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:24 am

Title.

PENMASTER

Post #2 by PENMASTER » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:46 am

i hear alot of excuses but i gotta take up for them right now its not as easy as it looks man you cant hire anyone that wants a job man we don't have enough and most of them are untrustable on the most part but like there's almost no way to get a lot more in a short amount of time plus ide rather have less bad judges then a whole lot more which this will do
love2hate

Genexwrecker

Post #3 by Genexwrecker » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:28 pm

Finding trustworthy, reliable, knowledgeable, competent people to judge on the site is exceedingly difficult. I have just as much a hard time finding new TOs to hire.
Official Duelingbook Support staff
Official Duelingbook Resource Judge
Official Duelingbook Tournament Admin.(Other tournament Admin is Runzy)

Lil Oldman
Mood:

Post #4 by Lil Oldman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:43 pm

What is TOes?
"Complacency? How rude. I live the stifling life of a high school student in our problematic modern society."
Help I cannot remove this music from my head
https://youtu.be/ZuXI7qcNsHQ
Will try reviewing custom cards if they look interesting.

Genexwrecker

Post #5 by Genexwrecker » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:00 pm

Lil Oldman wrote:What is TOes?

Tournament Organizers/Tournament Judges aka the purple that I am

Renji Asuka

Post #6 by Renji Asuka » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:18 pm

I'd say instead of hiring more judges, start creating schedules for judges to be online to do their duty based around their schedule.
Showing people that I'm The King of Games since September 30, 1996.

PENMASTER

Post #7 by PENMASTER » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:57 am

um renji you think they should schedule to be online that won't do a thing we can't enforce it and then we would have a confirmed time without judges instead of having hope one can get on i mean plus it would have to fit the judges lives its way to much what-ifs and could to be succesful
love2hate

Renji Asuka

Post #8 by Renji Asuka » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:31 am

PENMASTER wrote:um renji you think they should schedule to be online that won't do a thing we can't enforce it and then we would have a confirmed time without judges instead of having hope one can get on i mean plus it would have to fit the judges lives its way to much what-ifs and could to be succesful

If a person applies to be a judge and is accepted, then never go online to do their job they volunteered to do, they're not fit to be part of the staff. That is my opinion.

PENMASTER

Post #9 by PENMASTER » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:52 am

yea humans are unreliable and unpredictable in most cases making them useless in positions over others
love2hate

Christen57

Post #10 by Christen57 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:55 am

I just stay off of rated if there aren't any judges online.

DarkPhenix

Post #11 by DarkPhenix » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:00 pm

When there is a disagreement with your opponent about a ruling and no judge is online, try to identify what exactly the opponent believes is incorrect. Try to come up with different ways of explaining the rulings and or search resources on the internet for proof. Most of the time, this solves problems instead of waiting 1 hour and doing nothing. If no agreement is found, at least you had an engaging conversation :)
RC-1, PC-1 Konami® Certified Judge

Genexwrecker

Post #12 by Genexwrecker » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:15 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:
PENMASTER wrote:um renji you think they should schedule to be online that won't do a thing we can't enforce it and then we would have a confirmed time without judges instead of having hope one can get on i mean plus it would have to fit the judges lives its way to much what-ifs and could to be succesful

If a person applies to be a judge and is accepted, then never go online to do their job they volunteered to do, they're not fit to be part of the staff. That is my opinion.

And those people are demoted for inactivity.

Genexwrecker

Post #13 by Genexwrecker » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:37 pm

Renji Asuka wrote:I'd say instead of hiring more judges, start creating schedules for judges to be online to do their duty based around their schedule.

It is volunteer so no

Renji Asuka

Post #14 by Renji Asuka » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:55 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:I'd say instead of hiring more judges, start creating schedules for judges to be online to do their duty based around their schedule.

It is volunteer so no

I already know its a volunteer, but even volunteers can still be given a schedule.

Genexwrecker

Post #15 by Genexwrecker » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:27 am

Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:

It is volunteer so no

I already know its a volunteer, but even volunteers can still be given a schedule.
You would go to 0 judges

Renji Asuka

Post #16 by Renji Asuka » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:49 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:
Genexwrecker wrote:It is volunteer so no

You would go to 0 judges

If people refuse to be on a schedule after volunteering, then I'd have no need for them.

GayNProud

Post #17 by GayNProud » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:15 am

I agree with Renji here. There are plenty of people who are happy to align their availability on DB as a judge with their real life availability to play DB. Just because someone is not getting paid to do a job, that does not mean they do not report on time. They CHOSE to volunteer, so it is okay to set those standards (just like you have standards for them in the way they behave.)

With scheduling, enough overlap, and judges from different timezones, we WILL always have judges on and won't have to wait 50 years per call.

Renji Asuka

Post #18 by Renji Asuka » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:59 am

Hell, when I volunteer at the church in town to help pass out food, I have to be there before people start showing up to get food to not only help set it up, but to also bring in MORE food that is given out. I'm not being paid to do it. Sorry Genexwrecker, there's just no excuse to be this lax even with volunteers. Mind you, I'm not saying they have to dedicate their entire day, but they can literally dedicate 3-4 hours of helping, and if they can't (outside of real life responsibilities), they don't need to be a judge.

Genexwrecker

Post #19 by Genexwrecker » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:24 am

Renji Asuka wrote:Hell, when I volunteer at the church in town to help pass out food, I have to be there before people start showing up to get food to not only help set it up, but to also bring in MORE food that is given out. I'm not being paid to do it. Sorry Genexwrecker, there's just no excuse to be this lax even with volunteers. Mind you, I'm not saying they have to dedicate their entire day, but they can literally dedicate 3-4 hours of helping, and if they can't (outside of real life responsibilities), they don't need to be a judge.

Volunteering irl is an entirely different scenario. You cannot possibly compare it to running a non profit free site. Irl you have set dates and times where things need to occur. a website is literally run 24/7 and there is always stuff to do. And getting Judges hired from each timezone is also very difficult because not only do they need to be from those timezones but they need to know very very good english to judge properly. Trying to get multiple people from each timezone with those english skills and ability to be a very competent judge is absurdly rare. it took us forever to just get more than 1 judge that resides in brazil. Now then as for your 3-4 hours to judge straight you have to realize the task you are asking of people this isnt something that you can binge and do a good job at. Judging on duelingbook varies call to call and pending on what the calls are you might not be at the mental capacity after just 5 calls to go any furthur without huring the quality of the calls. sometimes you could go 40 calls without issue. There are so many variables to how long one can consistantly judge at one time. We do have a minimum requirements of each judge and specific duties they must fulfill. If they cannot fulfill those then they will be removed.

GayNProud

Post #20 by GayNProud » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:06 am

Genexwrecker wrote:
Renji Asuka wrote:Hell, when I volunteer at the church in town to help pass out food, I have to be there before people start showing up to get food to not only help set it up, but to also bring in MORE food that is given out. I'm not being paid to do it. Sorry Genexwrecker, there's just no excuse to be this lax even with volunteers. Mind you, I'm not saying they have to dedicate their entire day, but they can literally dedicate 3-4 hours of helping, and if they can't (outside of real life responsibilities), they don't need to be a judge.

Volunteering irl is an entirely different scenario. You cannot possibly compare it to running a non profit free site. Irl you have set dates and times where things need to occur. a website is literally run 24/7 and there is always stuff to do. And getting Judges hired from each timezone is also very difficult because not only do they need to be from those timezones but they need to know very very good english to judge properly. Trying to get multiple people from each timezone with those english skills and ability to be a very competent judge is absurdly rare. it took us forever to just get more than 1 judge that resides in brazil. Now then as for your 3-4 hours to judge straight you have to realize the task you are asking of people this isnt something that you can binge and do a good job at. Judging on duelingbook varies call to call and pending on what the calls are you might not be at the mental capacity after just 5 calls to go any furthur without huring the quality of the calls. sometimes you could go 40 calls without issue. There are so many variables to how long one can consistantly judge at one time. We do have a minimum requirements of each judge and specific duties they must fulfill. If they cannot fulfill those then they will be removed.

All I am hearing you say is that there is no solution to the problem of not having enough judges/judges throughout the day. No matter what the reasons are, we need to be working towards solving the problem in one shape or form.

For example, here is an idea someone proposed: creating a different tier of judges. Ones who only have the ability to give game losses to individuals who have been maliciously AFK. Nothing more nothing else.

Return to “Serious Discussions”