Is consuming animal products immoral?

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
~ Bunniee ~

Is consuming animal products immoral?

Post #1 by ~ Bunniee ~ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 pm

There are two very important facts to note here which, these days, are common knowledge:

- We can get all the nutrition we need without any animal products
- The meat and dairy industries are very cruel with very few exceptions

With that in mind, other than animal products being so tasty, why is it so easy to ignore the brutality of these industries and continue buying their products and making them lots of money? Why don't people care that the milk on their cereal is only so constantly available because cows are repeatedly raped so they continue producing milk. Or that foie gras that people enjoy when eating at a fancy restaurant is the result of ducks being force-fed with a tube held down their throat? These are just two examples of how these industries make the lives of animals, with just as much of a right to a happy healthy life as we have, rather traumatic and unhealthy.

I too am guilty of this, I'm no vegan myself. I just think it makes for an interesting discussion and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on it.

[ Jujuuu. ]

Post #2 by [ Jujuuu. ] » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 pm

It's basically just preference as far as the title question. People are going to have their opinion and continue to consume or not to consume animal products.

~ Bunniee ~

Post #3 by ~ Bunniee ~ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Morality isn't subjective though. What is and isn't moral is very easy to understand. I made this post to hear some people's thoughts about how you could maybe justify the meat and dairy industries. The only reason we get away with torture and murder of other animals for food is because they're not capable of stopping us. If there was a species on earth stronger and more intelligent than humans that farmed us for food, would that be immoral or not? Since that's literally the same.

Kaiza
Mood:

Post #4 by Kaiza » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:38 am

I'm going to suspect that you believe that by eating animal products, we're subjecting animals to cruel and unusual deaths and by abstaining from them we end their suffering @~ Bunniee ~ ?

~ Bunniee ~

Post #5 by ~ Bunniee ~ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:06 am

In some cases yes, like when pigs die of heart attacks when they know they are about to be slaughtered. Murder is not the only injustice that occurs though. For example cows only produce milk when pregnant, so some cows are raped to keep them producing milk, then after they give birth they are raped again. There are many cases of what could easily be described as torture. I'm not saying that if not for meat and dairy industries animals would not suffer; Of course they would. That said, it is immoral to knowingly cause suffering to animals and murder them for food when there is no real reason to do so. Them being less intelligent creatures does not give us the right to torture and murder them. See my post above about if humans were farmed.

Kaiza
Mood:

Post #6 by Kaiza » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 am

Hmm, so you're saying that while if we do stop eating animals and using their products for whatever reason it won't actually stop animal suffering, as the better species we should not in good conscience do such a thing regardless....

Finally someone gets it

MuTen_09

Post #7 by MuTen_09 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 am

1. I actually don't care if consuming animal products is immoral, buuut I cannot negate that food industries are so cruel with them.
2. We are herbivorous, so we have to eat meat and vegetables.
3. To avoid animals from being mistreated, we can stop buying meat from the industries and foment animal husbandry without depending on slaughterhouses.

Return to “Serious Discussions”