Idea for a new format (Thought experiment)

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
Knowomniscience

Idea for a new format (Thought experiment)

Post #1 by Knowomniscience » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:09 am

I would first like to say to take any of this with a grain of salt.

Note: Before you read, I am no expert. These are just my ideas.
Also, not proof read so grammar might be off.

Currently many would say that we are in a “Coin flip or Rock-paper-scissors” format with combo decks leading the charge. A simple solution could be to release a ban list but I wonder if there is a way to prevent this from happening in the future. This is where the thought experiment comes in.

Currently we play 2 out of 3 games in Yu-Gi-Oh. This is fine when we have a balanced format but if we are in a format like this one the player that wins the dice role will inevitably choose to go first or second more often then the person that loses the die which makes a huge impact. This can impact games especially in a meta like this one where we basically set up boards and win. Cimo's Crush-card cup finals was like this. And of course, playing more games won’t salve this issue of the unbalanced amount of times one chooses to go first or second. So, what should we do?

An interesting approach is the treat winning a match as a player winning 4(or 3 if you want to use up less time) games with at least a 2-game lead. Players will take turns to make the decision on going first or second. If the two players have equal games before reaching 4(or 3) games, meaning that it is 3 – 3 if playing up to 4 and 2-2 if playing up to 3, then a final game will be played where hopefully no player will get an advantage going first or second.

Unfortunately for in the event where games are timed (as far as I know) rules would have to be changed to make going first and second even.
On both players first turn they can play with no battle phase and their setup will be uninterrupted. Once they have finished, they will proceed into basically a combined main phase and combined battle phase. I don’t know every ruling on Yu-Gi-Oh so I will describe this as best as I can. Each player in this combined main phase will take turns to activate their spell speed 1 effects if they have non then they can pass back to their opponent. Any one can activate spell speed 2 effects in response to the spell speed 1 effect during this time and the same with spell speed 3 effects. Chaining is still the same as a normal main phase. Once both players have done all that they can do they will go into a combined battle phase where each player will take turns attacking whatever monster they like. After this the process is repeated until game ends
Last edited by Knowomniscience on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicest guy piriod

Post #2 by Nicest guy piriod » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:20 am

I guess this is a good idea

Knowomniscience

Post #3 by Knowomniscience » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:22 am

thanks for feedback

Return to “Serious Discussions”