Duelingbook Private Server Project 2020

Here you can have intellectually stimulating conversations.
Christen57

Re: Duelingbook Private Server Project 2020

Post #21 by Christen57 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:49 am

Friends wrote:If someone is interested in teaming up with me to work it out, drop me a message, because I'm still interested.

Backend is the only part missing, and I've written a small part of it in Node JS.

Will it have offline capabilities?

Friends

Post #22 by Friends » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:56 am

Christen57 wrote:Will it have offline capabilities?

I'll publish the source code for you to run it locally, yes.

Goatobed

Post #23 by Goatobed » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:47 pm

Has unofficially begun here: https://discord.gg/VUAXnwe5GA

Let me know if you're interested.

Goatobed

Post #24 by Goatobed » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:22 am

From Discord:

The idea that you can host your own duelingbook replica has always sounded appealing to me, because it it considered the most widely used and developed piece of Yu-Gi-Oh software, as far as my experience with dueling simulators goes. However, there are numerous reasons that discourage me from continuing this, first and foremost the mountainous amount of time required to make this work in practice with no financial incentive, and neither with an indication that people are going to use it. Secondary reasons are the lack of rated duels (as that'd require to maintain a judging system, which I cannot fathom implementing).

I'm currently struggling with responsibilities in my life, and I barely find time to play the game. Let alone to write back-end JS that works in practice. Nonetheless, I'll give the source code of my work to anyone interested in trying it out locally or even continuing it.

Christen57

Post #25 by Christen57 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:51 pm

Goatobed wrote:From Discord:

The idea that you can host your own duelingbook replica has always sounded appealing to me, because it it considered the most widely used and developed piece of Yu-Gi-Oh software, as far as my experience with dueling simulators goes. However, there are numerous reasons that discourage me from continuing this, first and foremost the mountainous amount of time required to make this work in practice with no financial incentive, and neither with an indication that people are going to use it. Secondary reasons are the lack of rated duels (as that'd require to maintain a judging system, which I cannot fathom implementing).

I'm currently struggling with responsibilities in my life, and I barely find time to play the game. Let alone to write back-end JS that works in
practice. Nonetheless, I'll give the source code of my work to anyone interested in trying it out locally or even continuing it.

Friends wrote:If someone is interested in teaming up with me to work it out, drop me a message, because I'm still interested.

Backend is the only part missing, and I've written a small part of it in Node JS.

I'd love to be able to access an unofficial / offline version of duelingbook even if it won't have a ranked / rated section like regular duelingbook. Sometimes regular duelingbook crashes, lags, shuts down randomly, or just becomes unavailable for an extended period of time for whatever reason such as maintenance, while I want to still be able to use at least part of duelingbook during such outages.

What I'd really love is for this duelingbook clone to feature some kind of local multiplayer where players can play each other even without internet access — a feature that already exists in EDOpro where players can duel each other simply by connecting their laptops / mobile devices to the same wireless network and then hosting / joining duels with the other(s) on the same network. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_area_network

I don't use discord, so if the only way to contact that "Friends" guy is through there, maybe you (Goatobed) can relay my comment here to him?

Goatobed

Post #26 by Goatobed » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:00 am

I am Friends, I'm just logged in from another account. You can reach me out via PM if you want.

Return to “Serious Discussions”