August 2018 Banlist Predictions

Got some predictions for the next F/L list? You can discuss all about them in here.
Snowy

August 2018 Banlist Predictions

Post #1 by Snowy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:13 am

Hello! Since August is dawning on us soon, I figured I post my guesses on the list. Hope you enjoy.

BANNED

Firewall Dragon (Temp Ban, until the Errata comes into swing. I doubt they will permanently ban a Protag's card)

Cannon Soldier

Toon Cannon Soldier

Gouki Suplex

Divine Sword - Phoenix Blade

LIMITED

Trickstar Candina

Droll & Lock Bird

Double Iris Magician / Performapal Skullcrobat Joker (either one)

Tribe Infecting Virus

Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz

Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End

Sky Striker - Hornet Drone

Scapegoat

Trickstar Light Stage

Gouki Rematch

Trickstar Reincarnation

SEMI-LIMITS

Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring

Book of Moon

Pantheism of the Monarchs

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers

Qliphort Scout

Maxx "C"

Hope you enjoyed my predictions, and if there's anything that seems off: I'll be happy to explain it

james111

Post #2 by james111 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm

BANNED

Firewall Dragon (Temp Ban, until the Errata comes into swing. I doubt they will permanently ban a Protag's card) (NO.)

Cannon Soldier (Coincidence? I THINK NOT!)

Toon Cannon Soldier (Coincidence? I THINK NOT!)

Gouki Suplex (NO)

Divine Sword - Phoenix Blade (NO)

LIMITED

Trickstar Candina (NO)

Droll & Lock Bird (NO)

Double Iris Magician / Performapal Skullcrobat Joker (either one "and the other one is banned for history")

Tribe Infecting Virus (It causes total DESTRUCTION!)

Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz (It searches out Powerful monsters!)

Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End (It destroys the Hand and FIELD!)

Sky Striker - Hornet Drone (NO)

Scapegoat (Yeah. Easy link 4s. But not on the First Turn Maybe Firewall Dragon Deserves to be UnLimited for this if this was banned.

Trickstar Light Stage (No)

Gouki Rematch (No JK. I was just thinking about it becasue it is so Easy to do this.)

Trickstar Reincarnation (Coincidence? I THINK NOT!)

SEMI-LIMITS

Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring (I guess that Counts)

Book of Moon (And that one too)

Pantheism of the Monarchs (No.)

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers (It took it One at a Time)

Qliphort Scout (Of Course not. Pay 800 to Search. No thanks)

Maxx "C" (IT CAUSES FREE DRAWS!!!!)

chaseer

Post #3 by chaseer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:05 am

Snowy wrote:Hello! Since August is dawning on us soon, I figured I post my guesses on the list. Hope you enjoy.

BANNED

Firewall Dragon (Temp Ban, until the Errata comes into swing. I doubt they will permanently ban a Protag's card)
Cannon Soldier
Toon Cannon Soldier
Gouki Suplex - I disagree. Ban Isolde instead.

LIMITED

Trickstar Candina - That's too much if you're going to hit Light Stage or Reincarnation. Candina at 3 is fine.
Droll & Lock Bird
Tribe Infecting Virus
Sky Striker - Hornet Drone - It means nothing if Engage is still on the loose. Either Limit Engage, or ban it.
Scapegoat
Trickstar Light Stage - Could see it go to 2.
Gouki Rematch
Trickstar Reincarnation

SEMI-LIMITS

Book of Moon
Pantheism of the Monarchs - lolwut.

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers
Qliphort Scout
Maxx "C"

Hope you enjoyed my predictions, and if there's anything that seems off: I'll be happy to explain it

I agree with most of your stuffs, except with some of the names highlighted in red.

While its true that there is an urgent need to put a big brake on the Gouki Link spam, I feel that there are other cards that requires attention. First though, FW Dragon really needs to go until Konami gives an errata to put an end to its no OPT Special Summon. Phoenix Blade also needs to get an immediate ban as it is a free discard fodder, simulating the OP property of the pre-errata Sinister Serpent. And lastly, it gives all the more reason to release Maxx "C" from its Forbidden zone, as its becoming clear that Summon spam decks are running amok because of little to no fears of getting pressured by players. I don't think that's healthy with the ban of Maxx "C", and it needs to come back.

What I don't agree though, is the immediate ban on Gouki Suprex. Instead, I'd rather see Isolde being banned immediately to put a stop to the engine.

As for pure Sky Strikers or Trickstar Strikers, I'd rather see the limit/ban on Engage than having to Limit Sky Hornets.
Last edited by chaseer on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB username: chaseer
Blizzard ID: Elkaz#1410

"First, seek the counsel of the Lord."

james111

Post #4 by james111 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 pm

chaseer wrote:
Snowy wrote:Hello! Since August is dawning on us soon, I figured I post my guesses on the list. Hope you enjoy.

BANNED

Cannon Soldier
Toon Cannon Soldier

LIMITED

Trickstar Candina
Droll & Lock Bird
Tribe Infecting Virus
Sky Striker - Hornet Drone - It means nothing if Engage is still on the loose. Either Limit Engage, or ban it.
Scapegoat
Gouki Rematch
Trickstar Reincarnation

SEMI-LIMITS

Book of Moon

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers
Qliphort Scout
Maxx "C"

I agree with most of your stuffs, except with some of the names highlighted in red.

While its true that there is an urgent need to put a big brake on the Gouki Link spam, I feel that there are other cards that requires attention. First though, FW Dragon really needs to go until Konami gives an errata to put an end to its no OPT Special Summon. Phoenix Blade also needs to get an immediate ban as it is a free discard fodder, simulating the OP property of the pre-errata Sinister Serpent. And lastly, it gives all the more reason to release Maxx "C" from its Forbidden zone, as its becoming clear that Summon spam decks are running amok because of little to no fears of getting pressured by players. I don't think that's healthy with the ban of Maxx "C", and it needs to come back.

What I don't agree though, is the immediate ban on Gouki Suprex. Instead, I'd rather see Isolde being banned immediately to put a stop to the engine.

As for pure Sky Strikers or Trickstar Strikers, I'd rather see the limit/ban on Engage than having to Limit Sky Hornets.

Cannon Soldier
Toon Cannon Soldier
Gouki Suplex - I disagree. Ban Isolde instead. Don't Ban isolde if banning Phoenix Blade is Ok. Or just give it an Errata.

LIMITED

Trickstar Candina
Droll & Lock Bird
Tribe Infecting Virus
Sky Striker - Hornet Drone - It means nothing if Engage is still on the loose. Either Limit Engage, or ban it. Banning Engage doesn't mean Drones still be Unlimited.
Scapegoat
Gouki Rematch
Trickstar Reincarnation

SEMI-LIMITS

Book of Moon
Pantheism of the Monarchs - lolwut. Seriously. Why Semi Limit it?

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers
Qliphort Scout
Maxx "C"

barrows_killer

Post #5 by barrows_killer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:14 am

I predict that the next banlist won't be announced until september and implemented until october :P

Snowy

Post #6 by Snowy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:37 am

james111 wrote:
chaseer wrote:

BANNED

Cannon Soldier
Toon Cannon Soldier

LIMITED

Trickstar Candina
Droll & Lock Bird
Tribe Infecting Virus
Scapegoat
Gouki Rematch
Trickstar Reincarnation

SEMI-LIMITS

Book of Moon

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers
Qliphort Scout
Maxx "C"

Cannon Soldier
Toon Cannon Soldier
Gouki Suplex - I disagree. Ban Isolde instead. Don't Ban isolde if banning Phoenix Blade is Ok. Or just give it an Errata.

LIMITED

Trickstar Candina
Droll & Lock Bird
Tribe Infecting Virus
Sky Striker - Hornet Drone - It means nothing if Engage is still on the loose. Either Limit Engage, or ban it. Banning Engage doesn't mean Drones still be Unlimited.
Scapegoat
Gouki Rematch
Trickstar Reincarnation

SEMI-LIMITS

Book of Moon
Pantheism of the Monarchs - lolwut. Seriously. Why Semi Limit it?

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers
Qliphort Scout
Maxx "C"

Regarding Pantheism, in the OCG Ether, Panthsim, and Stormforth are all at 3, and Monarchs aren't doing anything. Kinda like Qlis, with them being back at 3: there wouldn't make a dent in the meta. I know it's different there than they are here: but the times changed since Monarchs being tier 1, and I feel like Pantheism can come back. Reason why Pantheism to 2 is to give Monarchs more consistantcy, even though Stormforth and Ether are still at 1. Just testing the waters to be safe.

james111

Post #7 by james111 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:47 pm

I have fixed your predictions very good

BANNED

Cannon Soldier

Toon Cannon Soldier

LIMITED

Gouki Suplex

Droll & Lock Bird

Double Iris Magician

Performapal Skullcrobat Joker

Astrograph Sorcerer

Heavymetalfoes Electrumite

Harmonizing Magician

Trickstar Reincarnation

SEMI-LIMITS

Firewall Dragon

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers

Blackwing - Gofu the Vague Shadow (Now you can't do shit with tokens not even use them for Fusion or Link materials!)

Qliphort Scout

Maxx "C"

xKyo

Post #8 by xKyo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Firewall Dragon to 0
Droll & Lock Bird to 1
Scapegoat to 1
Sky Striker Mecha - Hornet Drones to 1
Trickstar Reincarnation to 1

*Knightmare Goblin to 0
*Soul Charge to 0
*Isolde, Two Tales of the Noble Knights to 1

I'm not discussing semi-limited, since those are very difficult to predict. You can put a lot of limited cards down to 2, you can do some more minor hits to the worlds winner, or just semi-limit famous staples or side-deck cards.

Marked with * I have hits that I believe are more unlikely to happen, but still realistic and something I hope would happen. Soul Charge is not a healthy and overall sacky card at 1, but it's been like that for a while and they never banned it. The card gained popularity with Gouki again, maybe now it's the time. Goblin is mainly abused for degenerate plays that shouldn't be possible, enables the Goblin+Phoenix lock that is so hard to get over, yet it's unlikely to get hit. Isolde at 1 is naturally setting up for a ban later. All die-hard fans of the card will have to admit that it's not healthy for the game. Similar to Goblin, it's abused for degenerate plays, and Noble Knights aren't popular enough to shield the card from a hit. However, since the Noble Knight support is still fresh, even that hit is unlikely to happen, because they might want to keep it for another format or two. That's why these hits are tagged with *.

Firewall Dragon hit doesn't need an explanation. Scapegoat at 1 may make it too sacky, but it's unlikely for them to immediately ban it. They'd rather limit it first, and see how it plays out in a format as a limited more-or-less staple-card, similar to Soul Charge. Hornet Drones goes to 1 just like in the OCG to prevent other decks from using the engine too much, and also to weaken the consistency and grind game of possibly the strongest deck after the list. Granted, you can still play a Sky Striker engine in your deck with 1 Hornet Drones, but it's not nearly as effective anymore, so that a lot of players will rather opt to play other cards instead.

Finally Droll & Lock Bird and Trickstar Reincarnation to 1, in order to prevent the Droll+Double-Reincarnation combo, and considerably hit the consistency of the regular one. This is due to Trickstar Stun winning worlds, and evidently the worlds-winning deck gets hit harder than it normally should be. Since it's Trickstar Stun and not just regular Trickstar, playing 20 hand traps in the entire deck, Droll & Lock Bird seems to be the best card to hit, considering its interaction with Reincarnation, and also how it absolutely wrecks Danger, which Konami is probably setting up to become a new meta deck in the TCG.

Christen57

Post #9 by Christen57 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm

BANNED

Cannon Soldier

Toon Cannon Soldier

Gouki Suplex

LIMITED

Trickstar Candina

Droll & Lock Bird

Tribe Infecting Virus

Scapegoat

Trickstar Light Stage

Gouki Rematch

Trickstar Reincarnation

SEMI-LIMITS

Book of Moon

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers

Qliphort Scout

Maxx "C"

What I agree with will be in green.
What I am not sure of will be in yellow.
What I disagree with will be in red.

BANNED

Firewall Dragon (Temp Ban, until the Errata comes into swing. I doubt they will permanently ban a Protag's card) I think a once per turn errata would be better instead of a ban, but I guess I ban will do as well.

Cannon Soldier I am not entirely sure if banning this would solve anything. If you hit these, you might as well hit every other monster in the game that tributes monsters to inflict burn damage.

Toon Cannon Soldier This one may be better since it is searchable with Toon Table of Contents, but I still don't think that these are the main problems.

Gouki Suplex This monster is powerful, but I think banning it would be too harsh. Maybe a Limit or Semi-Limit would do.

Divine Sword - Phoenix Blade I am not sure if banning this would solve the problem. There are other equip cards such as Sword of Deep Seated and Cursed Bamboo Sword that should also get hit in addition to this. I also think that Knightmare Goblin should be banned instead of this.

LIMITED

Trickstar Candina No way. Hitting Light Stage, and Reincarnation is more than enough.

Droll & Lock Bird I would ban this, but I guess limiting would do.

Double Iris Magician / Performapal Skullcrobat Joker (either one) I would prefer Skullcrobat Joker to come back instead of Double Iris Magician.

Tribe Infecting Virus This could probably come back to 3 in my opinion, but I think someone would find a way to abuse it.

Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz I believe this is at 3 in the OCG and Nekroz aren't doing much.

Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End Just because the OCG errata'd this card does not guarantee that the TCG is going to errata it too. We still have the old errata in the TCG. Also this card is still too ridiculous even with the errata.

Sky Striker - Hornet Drone I think this card should either be banned or left at 3. If people can still do crazy combos with just 1 copy then it should stay at 3 or just be banned.

Scapegoat Same with Sky Striker Hornet drones. People can still abuse this even at 1.

Trickstar Light Stage Trickstars are getting out of control in my opinion.

Gouki Rematch If this gets hit, like Hornet Drones and Scapegoat, it might as well be banned. Putting it to 1 doesn't do anything since people can still combo with just one copy of it, especially since it is searchable and can be recycled and reused with Magician of Faith and Magical Stone Excavation.

Trickstar Reincarnation I would just ban this, but I suppose a limit would do just fine.

SEMI-LIMITS

I agree with all of the Semi-Limits, so I will just move on to the Unlimited.

Book of Moon

UNLIMITED

Apoqliphort Towers I am still scared of this card, but I guess it could still come back.

Qliphort Scout I suppose this could still come back too.

Maxx "C" I am a bit scared of this card potentially coming back to 3, but I think it may be necessary and for the best.

chaseer

Post #10 by chaseer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 pm

james111 wrote:

Snipping to avoid a WoT.

I can assure you that Hornet Drone will no longer be an issue if Engage is Limited or banned. You will only need dumb luck to open more than 1 Drone from the very start. With it, their speed is slowed down considerably.
DB username: chaseer
Blizzard ID: Elkaz#1410

"First, seek the counsel of the Lord."

xKyo

Post #11 by xKyo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 am

Why do you need to open 2 drones? I don't understand that logic. 1 Engage for non-sky strikers is the same thing as 1 Hornet, except they probably wouldn't play other sky striker spells. 1 Engage makes no sense because it makes pure sky strikers a tier 2 deck and kills the engine for other decks.

Return to “Forbidden/Limited List Discussions”